• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

bryehn

take Beenox off of this franchise. they suck. that is all.

1. This game is pretty decent and 2. There's no one left at Activision to replace them. Once Disney gets the Marvel stuff back "in house*" we'll see some change I'm sure.

*They'll probably outsource it anyways.

Order

Which is not a lot.
No one is talking about this game, not about the combat, missions, side missions, bosses, physics or graphics.
I just see people chime in about how the auto-easy cloud swinging is... "fun".

Every free roaming Spider-Man game with web swing was "fun".
People play games to have fun, so yeah, people like this game.

How does it look? Should I get it for my PC Spider-Man collection? Also where did you buy it? :p

Sorry for the delay. I think the game looks great (for most part), thanks to the cel shading. The city does lack in terms of draw distance. You might see the buildings in the far background, but they lack textures.

The game play is open world and uses some awesome combat mechanics like being able to hang stunned enemies from lamp posts for a short time.

You also get to play as Venom :D

It's my favourite Spider Man game and was made by Treyarch before they became one of the CoD churners.

Story by Bendis is a plus (for me anyway) :D

I highly recommend it as part of your collection.

I bought my copy on Xbox. The PC copy I am playing (due to Xbox dying last week), my nephew found a copy at Cashies (pawn shop) for like $7 about a year ago.

So I decided to buy Web Of Shadows as well because I know I'm going to have full on Spidey-fever after the movie tomorrow, and sometimes comics aint enough.

It's actually kinda fun to compare these two games (WoS was the last open world game, right? Or was Spider-Man 3 after?), despite any superficial similarities they couldn't be more different and have flaws unique to each other.

I don't know if I can say this right, but yeah Amazing Spider-Man's web swinging is "easy mode" but it just clicks and is fun as hell. I spent hours just straight up swinging through the city and I never got bored. Whoever came up with web rush deserves a gold star, and WoS feels lesser without it.

That being said, WoS has great web swinging in it's own right, mostly because it takes a bit to get down but once you "master" it, it's a blast but not in the same way AMZSM is. Does that makes sense? I need sleep.

Combat in both games is great, but once again WoS has that depth thing going for it.

One thing Amazing has going for it, and it's the thing putting it over the top for me over WoS (for now), is that it absolutely NAILS being Spider-Man. I think it's the quips. Amazing has a great lead voice actor, and he's always talking shit. Giant robot? Busting it's chops. Monster? Makes fun of it. 2-bit thug? Let's em know who's boss. That's how I like my spider-man. I never even got tired of his screams of joy during an awesome swing.

On the other hand WoS's Spider-man is annoying, and worst of all he is dead silent during the game. No trash talking during battles, no incidental banter, just a few jokes during mission set ups. It takes away from the game just enough to not put it over Amazing Spider-Man.

It took me 16 hours to 95% the game. All I have left are the ridiculous collectables that are in the chapters themselves. Such as the audio evidence, magazines and other such nonsense.

Over all I honestly think this might be the best spider-man game on the whole. Sure it has flaws, but it gets so much right. I'll probably be shot for saying this, but webrush should become a standard in Spider-man games. It came in handy so often.

I agree with you. Like i said above, whoever came up with this, deserves a gold star. I salivate at the thought of SM2's web swinging + web rush.

I forgot to mention: As someone who hated the new suit redesign, this game did a lot to help me, at first get used to it, to eventually liking it quite a lot. I don't think it's any worse that Ben Reillys costume and I loved that thing.

Anyone else end up feeling the same?

Is it me or does the game actually not have a day/night cycle? I could have sworn there was a video showing it off??

I just finished Chapter 3 and spent ages just screwing around collecting comics and such, and so far there hasn't been one. Sucks, cause I'd love to web swing around NY at night time :(

I am loving the game thus far though :D

Is it me or does the game actually not have a day/night cycle? I could have sworn there was a video showing it off??

I just finished Chapter 3 and spent ages just screwing around collecting comics and such, and so far there hasn't been one. Sucks, cause I'd love to web swing around NY at night time :(

I am loving the game thus far though :D

The main mission progress changes the time of day. After completion of the story you can choose the time of day when you leave your apartment.

Defuser

IBFln.jpg

vdlow

Started to play the PS3 version of the game after watching the movie today. Played about 1 and a half hour. I'm enjoying the combat, even though the battles are too easy, and the web rush mode is really cool. The cloud swinging is a problem, but the biggest problem for me is just holding R2 to swing. It's too automatic for me.

Overall, seems like a good game. Anyone knows how much chapters does the game have?

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Started to play the PS3 version of the game after watching the movie today. Played about 1 and a half hour. I'm enjoying the combat, even though the battles are too easy, and the web rush mode is really cool. The cloud swinging is a problem, but the biggest problem for me is just holding R2 to swing. It's too automatic for me.

Overall, seems like a good game. Anyone knows how much chapters does the game have?

Why? Prototype was incredibly mediocre.

I loved Prototype, even though it was largely a re-skin of Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. And that was the best superhero game of last gen, and arguably to date. I'd have loved to see them take a crack at Spider-Man, too. I think they'd put everything else out there to shame, not that this gen's games have set the bar high.

graywolf323

after seeing the movie this afternoon with some friends I caved and used the last of my PSN credit to buy the game

downloading now :D

Suairyu

Banned
Definitely. If I can find a copy of Ultimate Spider-man on PC for cheap I'll let you know how that runs as well. The games should get here on Tuesday.
Ultimate Spider-man runs fine on Vista and works great with 360 pad. I completely play-through recently.

Jointly holds rank of "best Spider-man game ever" with Spider-man 2. S2 has better swinging mechanics (Ultimate is a bit floaty in this regard), Ultimate feels more comic-booky and has a better plot and objectives. Both have the "web sticks to real buildings and needs to be directed" system.

How I wish we'd see a return of that system :(

catabarez

Just bought Ultimate Spider-Man and it should be getting here any day now, I'm pretty excited!

Now I just wish Spider-Man 2 on PC was the same as the console versions. I might just go track down the PS2 version somewhere and play it on an emulator. Anybody know how well that game runs on PC?

catabarez

Just played Ultimate Spider-Man and everything looks great so far! The game is running very smoothly and it supports the 360 controller. I just have one problem with it:

I mapped the web swing and web attack buttons to the triggers and whenever I try to web zip it won't work! Swinging works fine and so does web attack, has anyone else had this problem?

LogicStep

FUCK! I was at chapter 8 I think, when you have to kill time and help people. I went to finish my photo mission and as soon as I'm done and the game saves it crashes and now my save file is corrupted. Fuck this shit.

clear31

I'm kinda bummed they didnt get the actors to do the voices but overall it's a solid game. I think its great for anyone who enjoyed the movie since it follows that up.

JohngPR

Is anyone having a save file issue with their game? I booted up the game and it just shows NEW GAME.

I look under Storage and it shows that my save file is there on my HDD and it doesn't seem to be corrupted. WTF?

360 version here.

GrizzNKev

Banned

iNvid02

i cancelled my copy from amazon after reading up on some of the issues - apparently there are a lot of bugs/crashing/fps issues yet, im guessing it wont be very playable, at least not until it comes out on steam and they throw out an update or two.

no idea why they decided to delay a steam release since its already available in EU via retail - and its steamworks, so people are already playing...

these are the options for the game though, so at least it looks like a decent pc port with steamworks built in. gonna pick up this and oo7 legends as soon as they get a nice sale - probably steams winter sale 2012.

tTSgS.png

Need an answer real quick before the sale on steam ends in an hour

Amazing Spider-man for the pc for $20. Yeah or Nay?
The DLC for the game, for $10 Yeah or Nay?

Robso

Have begun playing it on the PS3 lately and noticed during missions there appears to be some slow down. Anybody else had this? Only happens during missions. I believe it's slow down and not a drop in frame rate as it pauses for, probably not even a second, then is fine again.

No expert though so it could be the frame rate. :p

Top Bottom