• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

Claude

Catalina's bitch
cH6hx.jpg

Release Date

NA- June 26, 2012
EU- June 29, 2012

Systems

PlayStation 3
Xbox 360
PC
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Wii

Plot

The game is set after the film, where an Oscorp executive with access to the research of Dr. Curt Connors (aka The Lizard) plans to create more cross-species experiments. Meanwhile, Oscorp develops a large group of robots to combat the cross-species individuals, but wind up causing more harm to the city than good. It's now up to Spider-Man to save the city from both the cross-species experiments and robots.

Gameplay

The game has an open world/free-roaming concept, where the player can "swing around" and choose a variety of side missions, challenges and mini-games in addition to the game's main storyline. The game features a "Web Rush" mechanic, a mode that when activated while traversing, highlights major points of interest for travel, allowing Spider-Man to smoothly transition to it, making travel more stream-lined and simple. The combat system is reminiscent of the Rocksteady Studios-developed Batman game series using a freeflow design and counter attacks. Players can collect full, vintage comic books, such as Amazing Fantasy #15, and read them anytime.

Media

jOYpHpMD9zu3W.jpg
j0Yhi4kfHFrar.jpg

jbeMTSMvJxNaaL.jpg
jbrvSbYst7ze3y.jpg

jbz5rZNnE3S7GC.jpg
jFxi8ZFdNLtsy.jpg

Videos

The Amazing Spider-Man Gameplay Demo E3 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man Video Game E3 Trailer

The Amazing Spider-Man Video Game Web Rush Trailer

Reviews
IGN- 7.0
Gamespot- 7.5
Game Informer- 6.5
1up- C-
EGM- 8.0

*Special thanks to Criminal Upper for the banner.*

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I still need to see more of the open world aspect. Too often it means just "find missions" and boring world to pass over. With the webs attaching to the clouds, it lacks the fun momentum to at least try and make up for it.

I'll still be getting an Amazing Spider-Man, but I can settle for it on 3DS with just levels rather than open world selection if I don't see anything worthwhile. Combat is fun if nothing else based off the demos. Though if I do get the 3DS version, I know I'm going to hate dodge as a touch screen button. They really should have just put it on D-Pad Up.

Y I SHOT WEB AT SKY :<

Spider Man 2 did it, is it that hard to make your webs actually attach to buildings and do the physics off of that point? It worked soooooo well in SM2. *sigh*

Quick

Banned
Suck my dick, New York!

I'm curious about this. Been looking for an open-world Spider-Man game similar to Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2.

DrBo42

It's not listed in the OP but it's important for people to know that only the 360, PS3, and PC versions have free-roam available.

dreamfall

Great OT! I think I'm going to get this Tuesday. I do wonder about the PC release, but perhaps it's later in the summer? I'm excited- replaying some of Shattered Dimensions to build hype, but it'll be a nice return to an open world Spider-man game.

I felt the 3DS demo also was fun- I had some trouble dodging, and some issues with the camera but the translation held up.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I was watching the e3 video and the part where he is describing the combat system is lol, just say it's like the Arkham series be done with it.

please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good

The 3DS demo was real shitty, but I have high hopes for the console version. My hopes aren't really grounded in reality so much as fanboyish desire, so I'll probably end up getting burned yet again by another Spidey game that fails to live up to Spider-Man 2

I really hope I'm wrong though. Some of my most fond gaming memories involve aimlessly swinging around NYC and... uh... retrieving balloons, I guess

DrBo42

Here's some stealth/infiltration gameplay here. Has story spoilers. Shows an escape mechanic like Batman, enemies turn flashlights on and look towards the ceiling after a while.

Free-roam swinging here Only spoiler in this vid is how torn up the suit can become.

Here's some stealth/infiltration gameplay here. Has story spoilers. Shows an escape mechanic like Batman, enemies turn flashlights on and look towards the ceiling after a while.

Free-roam swinging here Only spoiler in this vid is how torn up the suit can become.
Webbing attaching to the sky again, you have got to be kidding me

God dammit

DMczaf

What is he swinging from in the middle of the park? Where is the web going?

The worst is the weird targeted web rush web zipping to air.
Seriously. What the hell Beenox?

If memory serves they have two teams, and this game was in development for at least two years by one team while the other did Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time. How in the hell can they not nail down a feature that existed in a game from the same franchise over eight years ago?

I wish Rocksteady could just be cloned over and over and make a kick ass game for every superhero

Apdiddy

From watching the videos, I can't believe how 'sterile' everything looks. That's not from the final game, right?

DrBo42

From watching the videos, I can't believe how 'sterile' everything looks. That's not from the final game, right?

Yeah, final code. Most likely from the pirated versions around but still.

Seriously. What the hell Beenox?

If memory serves they have two teams, and this game was in development for at least two years by one team while the other did Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time. How in the hell can they not nail down a feature that existed in a game from the same franchise over eight years ago?

I wish Rocksteady could just be cloned over and over and make a kick ass game for every superhero

*brofist* I know that feel.

Another spiderman game i won't buym why doesn't activision want my money? all they have to do is have some proper web swinging.

DrBo42

Another spiderman game i won't buym why doesn't activision want my money? all they have to do is have some proper web swinging.

I think they wanted to put all their effort behind the web rush mechanic and have that be the real attraction. But it's janky and way too automated so...no idea.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I really wish they would just release a downloadable title that is just Spider-Man 2 movie game in HD for people to webswing and nothing else. No need to harm one game with a useless open world and it would take care of the constant "I wish it was like this".

Well that answers my queries. I'll get the 3DS version with just level select to ignore the boring open world and lackluster swinging/running and jumping around.

The combat looks fine though. Not great, but that and the 3DS demo showed to me I can have fun with it, and as a beat-me-up fan that gives me some replay value unlike every other 3D geometry Spider-Man game beyond the Neversoft titles.

M.W.

Anything you can share?

The reviewer was saying it was one of the best Spiderman games he has ever played, and he's played them all. He did have hit nitpicks though. Again, this was very early impressions, so they may have changed. I'd love it if this game was awesome.

cackhyena

What the fuck is wrong with giving him some weight and proper momentum? He floats half the time and can switch directions mid float to boot. Fuckin...way to make the only reason I want play this unappealing.

Top Bottom