• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

*brofist* I know that feel.
Feels bad, man :(

I think they wanted to put all their effort behind the web rush mechanic and have that be the real attraction. But it's janky and way too automated so...no idea.
I don't know why we couldn't have both proper webswinging plus the web rush gimmick. Web traversal is so fundamental to how Spider-Man translates to character motion through player input that it is inexcusable to cut any corners, especially for a game developed for systems that can handle anything Beenox would want to throw at them

Shattered Dimensions was a pretty cool title, so I'm convinced Beenox has the talent to pull off an excellent Spider-Man game. It's just like they are choosing to half-ass it

Maybe I'm jumping the gun though. There still aren't any reviews.

But rest assured I will bring the bitching if my fragile Spidey-loving heart gets broken once more

JohngPR

I get being annoyed by his webs attaching to the sky to allow him to swing, but if you really wanted to you could just choose to swing only when buildings are around.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I guess I'm just not that picky. Spider-Man will never have a high tier game as long as Activision's publishing these days. I think what I've seen looks fun. I pretty much expect fan service and decent web swinging, and I'm always satisfied with it.

Except Edge of Time. Fuck that game.

Am I crazy or is the 3ds game not complete shit? Played the pretty meaty demo, and even though visuals are shit, the combat feels like Batman AA and the animations are great (probably from console version).

Has there been any footage of free-roaming at night? I'm assuming there is a day/night cycle, but I haven't seen anything take place after dark yet

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Has there been any footage of free-roaming at night? I'm assuming there is a day/night cycle, but I haven't seen anything take place after dark yet

There's screenshots of the city at night, but no video. I definitely saw some nighttime shots in GameInformer.

DrBo42

There's some night time footage in the link I posted with the specific timecode. There are spoilers though.

triggaz

Banned
how does the ds game compare to the ios game ultimate spider-man total mayhem I thought that was pretty good especially for under 5 bucks.

I get being annoyed by his webs attaching to the sky to allow him to swing, but if you really wanted to you could just choose to swing only when buildings are around.
spiderman 2 was just so much better, the momentum, the speed using the environment to make swinging more enjoyable.

sigh

DrBo42

Doesn't seem like you can build any speed whatsoever in this swing system. It seems designed to just give you altitude for a better web rush POV.

Amagon

4lxe1.jpg

I'll wait till the impressions.

I really want a good Spider-Man simulator like Spider-Man 2, but if the swinging isn't good, I'll pass.

iNvid02

i cant find any concrete info as to if the PC version comes out the same time as the other platforms, anybody got any ideas?

would prefer to play on pc but ps3 will do for this one, just have an urge to swing around in an open world as spidey again

I'll wait till the impressions.

I really want a good Spider-Man simulator like Spider-Man 2, but if the swinging isn't good, I'll pass.

That is funny because from what I have heard this game does everything better then Spider-Man 2 with the exception of the swinging. It has a very interesting storyline, better combat mechanics, better overall characters, better side missions. It also makes you feel like Spiderman while swinging because he uses all kinds of acrobatic moves when web rushing. It puts him more in the element of NYC then it ever did in previous SM games, despite there being a lack of realism.

DrBo42

i cant find any concrete info as to if the PC version comes out the same time as the other platforms, anybody got any ideas?

would prefer to play on pc but ps3 will do for this one, just have an urge to swing around in an open world as spidey again
Gamespot E3 coverage was posted, producer or creative director said months later.

Swinging on clouds? NO SALE.
Well, we'll see, but that's very disappointing.
This. Can't do cloud swinging. I guess if I want a spiderman game, I'll just play the cat woman parts of Arkham City. Even though that game has no swing at all,'it still has better traversal as cat woman than this does as spiderman. Though I will say they are on track, if/when they make the next Spiderman game, it they take what I've seen so far and then add in the 8 year old feature of momentum based, pendulum physics it'll be a day 1 buy for me. There is just too many games coming out for me to buy this when it doesn't support the ONE mechanic that we as spiderman fans have continued to ask for since Spiderman 2.

JohngPR

spiderman 2 was just so much better, the momentum, the speed using the environment to make swinging more enjoyable.

sigh

I know your feel bro. :(

The swing system in Spider-Man 2 has never been equaled yet. Some have come close (Spider-Man 3 & Spider-Man Web of Shadows) but they've never recaptured it.

It wasn't just the swinging itself that made it awesome...it was being to upgrade the swing, the boost, the way you were able to preload jumps. [/sogood.gif]

Obviously this game isn't going to be that, but that doesn't mean you can't pretend it is by playing it a certain way (Only swinging when you have a building to attach to, don't swing around central park, etc).

:p

I get the feeling Beenox would rather have made another level-based Spider-Man game but were forced to make it open world for one reason or another. All the interior stuff in the game looks great, combat looks like it could be really cool when you get a feel for it, but the swinging is the same perfunctory stuff from Edge of Time and doesn't take advantage of the large open world at all. Worst of all, with no momentum, no boosting or apparently any swing-release mechanic for going for speed or height, it looks really slow. SM2's Spidey could just tear ass around New York, cinematic camera angle and wiggly animations be damned.

Are you guys really complaining about the swinging not being realistic?
Why not? SM2's swinging is one of the best mechanics in all of video games precisely because the webs only tethered to buildings and it took into account the physics of momentum and gravity and web tension. Going so fast that the only way to turn is to desperately fire a web at the building you're passing to swing horizontally around a corner is a joy you'll never experience with magic cloud swinging.

I know right, I must have realism in my game about a guy who gets super powers from a radio active spider......If we did go for realism, people must know that its impossible to swing through NY anyway because of inertia it would flatten spidey like a pancake......

UrbanRats

Yes.
The swinging is the only ggood part in Spiderman games, and it peaked in SM2, cloud swinging is lame and boring, and there's nothing making up for it, cause everything else is constantly lame, in SM games.

Also, this is not how you shoot webs; if you shoot webs like this, you will die, you have to aim your webs at buildings.
I'm sorry but that's a fact, a cloud can't sustain your weight, Spiderman, don't even try it.

Well at least there's the webrush mechanic, so i don't have to play the game myself.

I know right, I must have realism in my game about a guy who gets super powers from a radio active spider......If we did go for realism, people must know that its impossible to swing through NY anyway because of inertia it would flatten spidey like a pancake......
Seriously speaking, it's not about realism, it's about giving a bit of depth to your only interesting mechanic.

Poyunch

Yeah let's take one of the most fundamental things about Spider-man and make it the least developed thing about the game.

Yeah let's take one of the most fundamental things about Spider-man and make it the least developed thing about the game.

How is it the least developed if it does what it set out to do, make you feel like your swinging through the city at insane heights and speed........

UrbanRats

Some people like cloud swinging, because he does that in some of the comics, too.
I think it looks moronic to pass over Central Park swinging.

Liamario

Banned
Unimpressed unfortunately. Guy in IGN video sounds a bit like Christopher walken- especially near the start.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Am I the only that hates that the camera is close during web swinging?

No. One of my huge gaming annoyances is having the camera too close to the character. That they think it's a feature really means I'm going to have to pass on this one..which sucks for me.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Some people like cloud swinging, because he does that in some of the comics, too.
I think it looks moronic to pass over Central Park swinging.

The original PSX Spider-man game had a lot of that. :)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Webbing attaching to the sky again, you have got to be kidding me

God dammit

Sadly the gimped webslinging means this is a no-buy for me. We saw the light with Spider-Man 2, why do we have to go back?

I'm sad :( How I miss SM2 web swinging.

This, this, this. Well-done web swinging (swinging from actual physical points in the world being a very important aspect) is my #1 priority when it comes to a SM game, and this game simply doesn't get it right. Too bad, was hoping we might finally be getting a decent SM game again.

I think I heard once that Stan Lee said when that happens he has a web-line attached to a helicopter.

Bububut with the proportionate strength of a spider, couldn't he drag the helicopter down from the sky?

I'm not nitpicky enough to worry about it, to be honest. It's a little jarring, but overall not a dealbreaker.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The only thing I really want from a Spiderman game is good swinging. Yet they put all their effort into some shitty combat system and cutscenes.

firen

This, this, this. Well-done web swinging (swinging from actual physical points in the world being a very important aspect) is my #1 priority when it comes to a SM game, and this game simply doesn't get it right. Too bad, was hoping we might finally be getting a decent SM game again.

What's odd is, I saw an interview where the developer lead said that they played ALL the Spider-Man games and knows what they do well and what they don't do so well. This game has been in production for about 2 years now. How did they not get the swinging mechanic right? I mean don't get me wrong, they got the movement down perfectly! Btw for those who don't understand why people keep complaining about the fact that his web doesn't attach to buildings this is why. The fact that you can swing around buildings makes it so much fun!

Also, I actually think Beenox is a good developer! They make some good Spider-man games and I actually do like the aesthetic to this game but swinging was really crucial! I'll pick it up regardless.

I don't give a damn what the webs stick to. It's fun!

Incidentally, there are no gargoyles inside every building ever made, in case you Batman fans want to start boycotting other games that make reasonable choices based on gameplay mechanics.

firen

never played it, but web of shadows looks pretty nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbFVA5IroC4

how is the game?

The swinging was decent, the combat was fun and the game is worth a discounted price. Overall as a package it was REALLY fun. Most fun I had in a Spider-Man game since SM2. I dunno why but I never got into USM even though that game was actually a really good game.

edit: Also, love the fact that the webs stick to walls :p

Top Bottom