• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

GrayFoxPL

never played it, but web of shadows looks pretty nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbFVA5IroC4

how is the game?

Imo it's cool. But shhhhh Gaf hates it.

Need to finish it.

izZxaEzLEp6pi.jpg

I'm not a fan of the cloud swinging but if the game is fun I'll get it. Simple as that.

I just hope they drop a demo, otherwise I'll be waiting til the price drops. And I have a feeling that will happen sooner rather than later.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Also, the more I look at videos of this, the more the super-close-up camera bothers me. Yeah, it adds some cinematic flair to the action, but it looks a hell of a lot less playable than a more laid-back camera angle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
People really need to go back and play Spider-Man 2.

It ain't all that.

As a complete package? No, it's pretty mediocre, but this video (posted earlier in the thread) shows why we want that type of web swinging back and won't accept anything less. It just felt so good. The swinging in the new game looks pretty bad in comparison.

Grayman

Here's some stealth/infiltration gameplay here. Has story spoilers. Shows an escape mechanic like Batman, enemies turn flashlights on and look towards the ceiling after a while.

Free-roam swinging here Only spoiler in this vid is how torn up the suit can become.

ok cracked up and closed it at the middle of the park. I made fun of this before but at least put in some sort of system to stop crap like that.

Raxus

ok cracked up and closed it at the middle of the park. I made fun of this before but at least put in some sort of system to stop crap like that.

It's games like these that makes me wonder why they just don't outright copy Rocksteady and make make Spiderman: Ark-errr New York City.

DrBo42

So I got to the store and the copies they have are in Spanish. Ahaha. Does anyone know if NTSC Spanish PS3 games have English as well? If not it looks like I'm in for a really confusing experience with Hombre Araña.

Santar

The free swinging dos look a little floaty, but combined with the nicely animated web rush thing it actually looks like a fun game.
I too would much rather have a actual fun game than a crappy game with sorta good swinging. Spider-man 2's swinging mechanic was nice but it sure needed a bit of refinement, was a bit janky when you look back at it.

The free swinging dos look a little floaty, but combined with the nicely animated web rush thing it actually looks like a fun game.
I too would much rather have a actual fun game than a crappy game with sorta good swinging. Spider-man 2's swinging mechanic was nice but it sure needed a bit of refinement, was a bit janky when you look back at it.
i literally just finished playing some sm2 and it is in no way janky. it's pretty much perfect, u forgot that you could even attach two different webs to buildings slingshot your way across the city.

Famassu

See, I'd rather have a good all-around game, than a shitty game with amazing web-slinging.

But that's just me.
Except Spider-Man 2 + all the webslinging including sidequests & challenges is a better experience than pretty much any Spider-Man game afterwards. Having proper webslinging which require you to really focus & master Spidey's different skills is infinitely better than having okay-ish webslinging that requires absolutely very little skill & thought to use and having the game focus on repetitive combat that gets boring after a while.

I mean, the webslinging stuff in Spider-Man 2 is like a great game inside a shitty game. You can mostly ignore everything else and just focus on the challenges (well, not quite, you do need points to purchase upgrades, but after that's done nothing is stopping you from experiencing fun & challenging times with the webslingin').

DrBo42

Alright, here we go.

Ps3 owners will be greeted with a 19mb patch upon bootup.

Game has a pre-main menu cinematic of live action/in game assets for an oscorp infomercial. Its a neat touch that has a deus ex human revolution/mgs 4 Logan vibe. Starting the game now. Feel free to ask any questions.

Options

3 difficulties. Super hero is the highest with this info "A stealthier approach is advised if you wish to live in danger as a real super hero would! For hardcore players only. I'll be playing in this difficulty because as you can tell from my avatar, I'm hardcore.

No control mapping options.

Map orientation can be set to rotating or static.

Web rush cursor display: always, in selector, never.

In-world markers: on, off. I'll find one specifically what this does in a bit but I think they're the 3D map markers in the screen.

I wouldn't say it's the absolute most important thing about a Spider-Man game, but it's really up there. Spider-Man 2 was pretty weak in a lot of places but the web slinging made it so much fun. I just enjoy exploring the city and swinging around better when there's a consistent way of doing it. Cloud swinging just makes the whole experience of exploring around boring for me.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
As a complete package? No, it's pretty mediocre, but this video (posted earlier in the thread) shows why we want that type of web swinging back and won't accept anything less. It just felt so good. The swinging in the new game looks pretty bad in comparison.
A million times this. Spider-Man 2 had such gratifying web swinging that you could get lost in that city for hours. No game since has felt that good, and I doubt that any game will. And you know why? Because it was hard. It was actually complicated, and you had to truly learn how to properly maneuver Spidey to get the most out of him. If you watch the ign demo for the new game, the developer says it all - the interviewer makes a comment about how hard it used to be getting to the top of the empire state building, and the dev says how unbelievably easy it is to do it now. That's not what I want! I want a challenge in swinging! I want there to be a degree of difference between me and someone better/worse than me, I don't just automatically want Spidey to be perfect.

I seriously encourage everyone to bust our their copy of Spidey 2 and swing around the city again. Takes a bit of getting used to, and it feels so good when you start picking it up again. That game was so great.

SRTtoZ

Alright, here we go.

Ps3 owners will be greeted with a 19mb patch upon bootup.

Game has a pre-main menu cinematic of live action/in game assets for an oscorp infomercial. Its a neat touch that has a deus ex human revolution/mgs 4 Logan vibe. Starting the game now. Feel free to ask any questions.

How are the graphics in person? Ive seen some crappy vids online but thats it.

How does the city look/feel? I know it starts with an indoor level but does the city feel lively?

Hows the combat? I know they went for a Batman AA/AC rip off but does it work?

Wow at all the webslinging comments.

I had no idea that webs attaching to buildings was so important.
Oh well.

Getting web swinging right is as essential to a Spider-Man game as shooting is to shooters, and jumping is to platformers. Cloud web swinging is lazy and and makes THE standout ability of SM just a boring means of travel. Web swinging done right should be easy to pick up and hard to master with tons of ways to mess with webs that stick to objects, playing with momentum, 2 web lines at the same time, sling shot, etc. etc.

DrBo42

Combat flows reaaaaaallllyyyy well. I think the people we've been watching play on YouTube are just awful. Linking in web grabs, finishers and counters is pretty damn good. Spiderman model looks fantastic. Still inside, yet to see the city.

firen

Combat flows reaaaaaallllyyyy well. I think the people we've been watching play on YouTube are just awful. Linking in web grabs, finishers and counters is pretty damn good. Spiderman model looks fantastic. Still inside, yet to see the city.

Have you played Web Of Shadows? How does it compare? Do the controls feel tight?

firen

A million times this. Spider-Man 2 had such gratifying web swinging that you could get lost in that city for hours. No game since has felt that good, and I doubt that any game will. And you know why? Because it was hard. It was actually complicated, and you had to truly learn how to properly maneuver Spidey to get the most out of him. If you watch the ign demo for the new game, the developer says it all - the interviewer makes a comment about how hard it used to be getting to the top of the empire state building, and the dev says how unbelievably easy it is to do it now. That's not what I want! I want a challenge in swinging! I want there to be a degree of difference between me and someone better/worse than me, I don't just automatically want Spidey to be perfect.

I seriously encourage everyone to bust our their copy of Spidey 2 and swing around the city again. Takes a bit of getting used to, and it feels so good when you start picking it up again. That game was so great.

Agreed. If you can't get your hands on that, check out Web Of Shadows. It had amazing swinging as well.

Top Bottom