• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

DrBo42

All the bullshit? As in, there is lots more bullshit than just the awful swinging?
Yeah. Indoor environments are a big focus in the game and they're not exactly handled flawlessly. Harder to control in interiors under pressure. Playing on the highest difficulty is a big mistake while not having everything down, you die in 3 hits and when you go, the loading can be up to a minute with the added bonus of bad checkpoints making you watch or listen to the same cutscene over and over in a difficult area. Combat really tries to be Batman but can't match the level of polish. Counter timing is rather small which isn't a bad thing but the counter icon can blend into white backgrounds and since it's tied above spideys head, it can be hard to see when he's flipping around etc. The big set pieces outside are great and make me wonder why there's any emphasis indoors at all. Maybe the stuff inside plays better on lower difficulties. I have no idea what percentage of the story is complete but I'm on Chapter 6. Story has been relatively engaging, one surprisingly well acted moment that caught me off guard recently where the typical cheese/sarcastic Spiderman goes away briefly. Peter is staying at someone's apartment in the game that acts as a sort of HQ where you can replay missions, check stats, change costumes and talk to a certain someone. I won't spoil who's place it is, it's a funny reveal. More side missions are unlocking recently including a cameo related activity. There's an enemy type you'll occasionally run into that if not dispatched quickly will trigger a mini boss, that spices up open world along with the addition of oscorp snipers. Snipers are instant death on super hero difficulty if you don't play smart. Upgrade system is serviceable although the unlocks aren't nearly as varied or impressive as I'd hoped. 2 categories, combat and tech or character and tech, can't remember. Combat upgrades are directly tied to XP as you'd imagine but tech is actually resource based. As you fight oscorp bots or find tech pickups in levels you gain tech points to spend on those upgrades. Tech upgrades as you'd imagine are entirely web related and so far almost completely useless except for web shooter speed, get that shit. You use it in practically every boss fight.

Based on what I've played although it's rough, this is shaping up to be the best Spider-Man game yet. There's a lot to improve but it's an impressive first open world outing by Beenox. It's confusing that they've failed to make the indoor sections compelling, given their background in linear-focused games and there's a lot to improve overall. Certain moments will have you forgetting or forgiving if only temporarily and replacing that thought with "Damn. I'm Spider-Man."

what happened to Amazon and this game? I had it ordered awhile ago for Release date delivery on Tuesday the 26th now it says Friday the 29th and it has two day shipping selected. Order comes in at 60.95. I'm glad they didnt charge me for the 2 day but damn wanted to play it on tuesday.

EDIT: Looks like you have to PAY to get it on release day shipping. 7 bucks. I really hope the 99cent release day shipping isnt going away.

Bingo.

The ability to use your momentum in Spider-Man 2, shoot web from both hands and just hanging between two buildings like a Spider-Jesus...

haha oh man I forgot all about that. Did that sometimes on tall towers, then cut to free-fall and swung away like a boss.

I miss that game suddenly.

thread title should change to This is How you (Can't) Shot Web.

Famassu

Wow at all the webslinging comments.

I had no idea that webs attaching to buildings was so important.
Oh well.
For fuck's sake, it's not JUST that we want the web to attach to the buildings, it's WHAT IT DOES TO THE WEBSLINGING that is important. It adds some much needed depth into the whole thing. You need actual skill to be able to pull of all kinds of neat tricks.

Now that it just attaches itself into some magical point in the sky or there are millions of helicopters flying around New York, apparently, it just takes that away. The webslinging might look cool, but if you don't have to give a shit how you do it, it just takes out what is one of the best aspects of any superhero game ever released (SM2's webslinging).

holy crap I just decided to say screw it and pay the 8 bucks for one day shipping. Clicked the 1 day shipping and the order total is till 60.95...YAY? Now says June 26th

You all are being a bunch of emo runts, the swining may look a bit off, but it still looks like a lot of fun. Combat looks really good, graphics and detail on the characters are impressive and music sounds epic and heroic. This is the Spiderman game I have been waiting for.

smr00

Banned
People really need to go back and play Spider-Man 2.

It ain't all that.
Could not agree more. I could give 2 shits if its cloud swinging or swinging from gnomes assholes as long as the game is fun and this game is fun.

I learned a long time ago that GAF is the most cynical and unhappy gamers on the internet, you can't please GAF and they all harp on past overrated games, they could literally clone SP2 and gaf would still shit on it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
As much as I hate to defend Spider-Man 2 (it's a shitty game and one of the worst experiences I've had working on a video game), the web swinging was, hands down, the best feature in the game, and, so far, the best representation of what it would actually feel like to swing around as Spider-Man, and for a few reasons.

The fact that, as a player, you had to take into account your surroundings while swinging (how far away the buildings are, how high up you are, how close you are to the ground, at what angle you have to hit that corner to get maximum speed boost), are things that really put your head into what it's like to be Spidey. It's a little hard and overwhelming at first, but eventually, it almost becomes second nature. I was a QA tester for that game for damn near 5 months. For 5-6 days a week, 8-12 hours a day, I lived and breathed Spider-Man 2 and it's swing mechanic. By the end of the project, I was a fucking PRO. To be honest, the joy of the swinging is the only thing that made coming to work bearable during that time. The rest of the game is utter trash, but that swing mechanic was perfect.

All the developers had to do was implement that swing engine in a game exactly like the one they are making now. They could still have web rush, but let it be an option. Let the skilled players have their "complex" web swinging, and let the players that just want to swing with ease use Web Rush.

Spider-Man 2 was a nightmare, but people aren't crazy when they praise the swinging.

Man, I used to have some simply excellent runs in that game. Going through the city at top speed. I was so good that I could swing through narrow crevices, spin on a street light, launch up to a building, wall run between the ladders in the fire escapes, launch up into the air, do some air tricks, and land, with pinpoint accuracy, on Peter's balcony to his apartment. I had web swinging down to a science after, literally, sinking hundreds of hours into it.

I like the combat improvements Beenox have made to SM over the years. I like the visual look of it (Shattered Dimensions had a really cool, unique style).

Personally, I think it'd be awesome if they went all out, and did an open world Spider-Man: NOIR game, and implemented their combat system, stealth segments, day and night segments, and Spider-Man 2 swing engine. You can keep Web Rush, because it does have flare, but not at the expense of a swing engine that was so desperately worthy of some improvements. With the physics capabilities of todays PCs and consoles, they really could have added something to the SM2 engine.

SRTtoZ

Yea I can care less about the swinging mechanics. Don't get me wrong, I loved SM2 but that was only because you got to swing around an open world NY as Spidey, not because of the 'mechanics'. I even had fun in the open world spideys that followed SM2 but the story and combat was just so basic and shitty. If this game has an open world new york with improved graphics, improved story, better fighting and good voice acting then ill be sold. I mean cmon, swinging around in SM2 was fun but it got boring after a few hours.

Jac_Solar

A real, but most importantly, fun web-swinging system that relies on real-worldish physics and momentum sounds like an incredibly satisfying mechanic. I'm not sure if I played Spiderman 2 -- I played either 1, or 2, but I wasn't very concerned with gameplay systems/mechanics and such then.

The reason it's so enjoyable and fun, I assume, is because the mechanic is open ended and is constantly improving based on user skill -- so, you know that the more you play, the more you use the skill, the better you will get at it, and the reward is that you can go faster and faster, and with more grace/awesomeness.

It's not the same as, for example, a 15% faster web swinging speed buff after 3 hours of gameplay, cause, using purely ingame methods, the web slingings improvement relative to user skill is a hard to define part of gameplay that feels like it will constantly improve with your skills ("Satisfaction loop!").

Done right, these types of gameplay mechanics are incredible -- but, of course, it needs an interesting world/universe to make it valuable.

It's more enjoyable to practice your swinging skills in a game you are greatly enjoying, as opposed to a very, very boring game, cause, in the game you are enjoying, you'd probably get excited by all the potential/options the gameworld offers you, and how the web swinging might improve your efficiency/productiveness/etc.

While swinging, you don't have to feel like you are doing 'nothing', or just moving from point A to B. You are actually improving your skills and understanding of the gameplay to a considerably greater deal than any Sky web-swinging cause of the mechanics of the physical web swinging -- so, you may actually feel like you are constantly doing something worthwhile, improving something that actually improves the 'feel' and enjoyment you might get out of the gameworld itself..

I think this is something most/all longtime gamers who have experienced and thought about a good deal of gameplay mechanics/systems of games would agree on.

So, why would a developer, who was most likely aware of the demand for Spiderman 2 swinging mechanics (And I doubt it's inclusion would have impacted sales -- it would most likely have improved them, if anything.) not include this? And even make a feature P.R point about the bad camera angle while swinging? It most likely does not add a fraction of the feel physics based swinging would add, and it makes it harder to spot enemies/be aware of the surrounding scenery/areas.

It sounds like the camera 'action' style was included as a "feature" to dress up the fact that players can't move the camera to see where the web goes. :p

Sojgat

Combine Spider-man 2 web swing controls, Arkham City combat system with the Web of Shadows web strike mechanic, and an open world that actually has interesting and varied stuff to do, use Romita Jr style art for the graphics, then get Nolan North to play Spidey. Is that really so much to ask?

firen

Combine Spider-man 2 web swing controls, Arkham City combat system with the Web of Shadows web strike mechanic, and an open world that actually has interesting and varied stuff to do, use Romita Jr style art for the graphics, then get Nolan North to play Spidey. Is that really so much to ask?

Winner.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Yeah. Indoor environments are a big focus in the game and they're not exactly handled flawlessly. Harder to control in interiors under pressure. Playing on the highest difficulty is a big mistake while not having everything down, you die in 3 hits and when you go, the loading can be up to a minute with the added bonus of bad checkpoints making you watch or listen to the same cutscene over and over in a difficult area. Combat really tries to be Batman but can't match the level of polish. Counter timing is rather small which isn't a bad thing but the counter icon can blend into white backgrounds and since it's tied above spideys head, it can be hard to see when he's flipping around etc. The big set pieces outside are great and make me wonder why there's any emphasis indoors at all. Maybe the stuff inside plays better on lower difficulties. I have no idea what percentage of the story is complete but I'm on Chapter 6. Story has been relatively engaging, one surprisingly well acted moment that caught me off guard recently where the typical cheese/sarcastic Spiderman goes away briefly. Peter is staying at someone's apartment in the game that acts as a sort of HQ where you can replay missions, check stats, change costumes and talk to a certain someone. I won't spoil who's place it is, it's a funny reveal. More side missions are unlocking recently including a cameo related activity. There's an enemy type you'll occasionally run into that if not dispatched quickly will trigger a mini boss, that spices up open world along with the addition of oscorp snipers. Snipers are instant death on super hero difficulty if you don't play smart. Upgrade system is serviceable although the unlocks aren't nearly as varied or impressive as I'd hoped. 2 categories, combat and tech or character and tech, can't remember. Combat upgrades are directly tied to XP as you'd imagine but tech is actually resource based. As you fight oscorp bots or find tech pickups in levels you gain tech points to spend on those upgrades. Tech upgrades as you'd imagine are entirely web related and so far almost completely useless except for web shooter speed, get that shit. You use it in practically every boss fight.

Based on what I've played although it's rough, this is shaping up to be the best Spider-Man game yet. There's a lot to improve but it's an impressive first open world outing by Beenox. It's confusing that they've failed to make the indoor sections compelling, given their background in linear-focused games and there's a lot to improve overall. Certain moments will have you forgetting or forgiving if only temporarily and replacing that thought with "Damn. I'm Spider-Man."

Glad to see that you're enjoying the game at least. My hype rose just by reading that.

One last question: Have you noticed any technical issues (screen tearing, jarring framerate, etc.) that really stood out?

I don't see how people can say that cloud-swinging doesn't make a difference. It changes the whole dynamic of it. I don't think the swinging in S-M2 was perfect, it had room for improvement, but it's still one of the greatest gameplay mechanics out there. My nieces and nephews love the game, so from time to time I play it with them, and it still holds up great. Something that can't be said for the rest of the game. But this point have been made in thread over and over again already.

And as for saying that it doesn't matter because the game is already unrealistic. It's a weird standpoint as it can be applied to any game in the history of ever. Why doesn't Batman just fly? Why do you run out of bullets? Etc.

I hope this game is good, the cloud swinging is not a deal-breaker for me, but I do cringe every time he swings over an open space like a park. But I thought both Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time were great fun so I trust that Beenox can deliver a decent game.

Well Arkham combat and web strike is in the game so there is that. But I agree, although I thought the art style they used for the Amazing universe in Shattered Dimensions was just awesome. I hope they return to it in a future game, maybe without the grainy filter though. And Nolan North should never be Spider-Man, that is a job that should be reserved for Josh Keaton.

wondermega

As much as I hate to defend Spider-Man 2 (it's a shitty game and one of the worst experiences I've had working on a video game), the web swinging was, hands down, the best feature in the game, and, so far, the best representation of what it would actually feel like to swing around as Spider-Man, and for a few reasons...

that seals it, I really need to pick up SM2.

Garçon, load up eBay!

DrBo42

Glad to see that you're enjoying the game at least. My hype rose just by reading that.

One last question: Have you noticed any technical issues (screen tearing, jarring framerate, etc.) that really stood out?
No performance issues that I've seen. I was actually shocked that the outdoor setpieces are very smooth, the game looks amazing during those pieces. Only thing that bothers me is the AA. Hard edges buzz most noticeably indoors.

Famassu

eh, I thought web of shadows had better web swinging.
Yeah, no.

I mean cmon, swinging around in SM2 was fun but it got boring after a few hours.
Maybe if you just got around aimlessly, but the game had awesome time trial challenges and those pizze delivery sidequests which really put your webslinging skills to a test and those are, hands down, some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. The combat may be shitty, the millions of balloons lost in the sky were annoying, but the game's webslinging is awesome and all those missions/challenges that took advantage of that (there were a lot) are still some of the best fun I've had in a superhero game ever. And no game does it better. Web of Shadow does combat a lot better (though, THAT does get boring after a few hours because there's so much of it), but its webslinging is still very much a simplified version of SM2.

Some people on superherohype are saying that the random crimes are finite. Sucks if it's true since it takes away all incentive to return to the game once finished, especially now that web swinging isn't all that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What was wrong with the swinging in WoS? Had a good sense of momentum, etc.

It's been a while... but iirc you didn't have the double webs. That made a huge difference and WoS, even though some of the animation was really cool and the freestyle stuff you could do while gliding was awesome looking, the amount of control you had was actually reduced by taking away your second web. That was some of the coolest stuff in SM2.

Oni Jazar

I loved how in SM2 Central Park was kind of a danger zone if you didn't know what you were doing. No buildings = nothing to web sling on.

DrBro, thanks for all of the impressions.

This will definitely be a rental for me. I'm sure it will be short enough that I can take care of it on a rental anyway

DrBo42

DrBro, thanks for all of the impressions.

This will definitely be a rental for me. I'm sure it will be short enough that I can take care of it on a rental anyway

I think anyone that has enjoyed the Spider-Man games should give it at least a rental. As for length I'm 7 1/2 hours in and the story is still going. I feel like it's about to end but I can't be sure.

jtrov

Some people on superherohype are saying that the random crimes are finite. Sucks if it's true since it takes away all incentive to return to the game once finished, especially now that web swinging isn't all that.

Woww... I really hope that is not the case. Definitely on the fence as it is, but the videos lately were making it look quite fun. Was really hoping those crimes would be a persistent thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Since people only want to be negative on what's new.

Web of Shadows feels like the usual Spider-Man combat jank, the missions are INCREDIBLY mmo-esque(beat 50 crooks!) and Spider-Man sounds like a 13 year old in mid puberty.

DrBo42

So, are you playing primarily story missions? Are they fun? Side missions? Good graphics?

Primarily story missions and sampling every new side mission. Story missions and side missions are pretty much what you'd expect from a spidey game. Story has some standout battles in the city. Side missions range from bank heist, police standoff, police chase, rescue (in a sense), photography, race/event, stealth infiltration to unlock new tech. Those are all I've seen so far. Police standoff and bank heists being the best, car chase being the worst (just QTEs). A lot of the game is QTE for certain situations but it's appropriate for most of it. Car chase is just really bland and short. Graphics can be pretty awesome at times. Model detail is really good. Game has a really nice cinematic flair.

Edit: Forgot petty crimes, standard beat the shit out of thugs. Stay frosty.

Drewfonse

Primarily story missions and sampling every new side mission. Story missions and side missions are pretty much what you'd expect from a spidey game. Story has some standout battles in the city. Side missions range from bank heist, police standoff, police chase, rescue (in a sense), photography, race/event, stealth infiltration to unlock new tech. Those are all I've seen so far. Police standoff and bank heists being the best, car chase being the worst (just QTEs). A lot of the game is QTE for certain situations but it's appropriate for most of it. Car chase is just really bland and short. Graphics can be pretty awesome at times. Model detail is really good. Game has a really nice cinematic flair.

Nice impressions, sounds like I may actually dig this.

why does can you run it say i can't run it?
E3P1z.png

So since the web swinging sucks have you found yourself using the web rush more to get the traveling over with faster?

DrBo42

Just finished it, decent plot. Completely flat final scene. For those looking for Spider-Man's Arkham Asylum, you'll have to continue waiting. I'll post an actual review at some point tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: Post credits was a nice touch.

For those curious yes, the game does continue after the story mode completes. Strangely though you need to select the time of day from the apartment hub, the game does not have a true cycle.

1 costume unlocks after completion. Highlight to find out what it is.
Cross-Species Spider-Man - Kinda looks like half manspider design they've played with on the show and comics, it's neat and gross.

So since the web swinging sucks have you found yourself using the web rush more to get the traveling over with faster?

Only when speed is vital to my survival.

Just finished it, decent plot. Completely flat final scene. For those looking for Spider-Man's Arkham Asylum, you'll have to continue waiting. I'll post an actual review at some point tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: Post credits was a nice touch.

For those curious yes, the game does continue after the story mode completes. Strangely though you need to select the time of day from the apartment hub, the game does not have a true cycle.

1 costume unlocks after completion. Highlight to find out what it is.
Cross-Species Spider-Man - Kinda looks like half manspider design they've played with on the show and comics, it's neat and gross.

Only when speed is vital to my survival.

All I really want is web-swinging :(

Wait, does the game have the classic Spider-Man costume?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Nolan North ain't no Peter Parker.

He could be.

He gets no credit for his range as a voice actor.

Listen to his demo reel, or listen to the podcast he did with Rob Paulsen on Paulsen's site.

North has incredible range and skill as a voice actor. It's not his fault game developers are uninspired and just want him to "do the Drake."

His Deadpool is awesome (see Hulk vs Wolverine, as opposed to UMvC3).

He could pull of a rather good Peter Parker if given the chance.

Top Bottom