• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

graybot

Score on MC will only go down from here. I expect it to finish low 70’s

Is it bad to say I hope it goes even lower? For me its not the direction I wanted the series to go. So as bad as it sounds I hope scroes are low and sales are hit to make them rethink their strategy going forward

Rodelero

As I say, I find moaning about Jeff being jaded or that he just doesn't like sim racers to be reductionary excuse making.

There's no excuse being made.

Jeff Gertsmann is not a natural fan of sim racing games. Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 are the exception to that rule. They do not disprove the rule. There were a couple of Forza Motorsport games that were accessible enough, and content packed enough, that he absolutely loved them. He has liked a few sim racers, but not for their sim racing qualities, instead for their RPG qualities. This is incredibly clear if you listen to him talk about racing games.

Jeff was never likely to like Gran Turismo Sport as it shifts more towards a pure racing game and further away from the RPG driving game that he desires. That doesn't mean his impressions aren't interesting or relevant but it is incredibly important context and it is worth pointing out when so many people are acting as if the Quick Look is gospel. Obviously, ideally, Gran Turismo Sport would be all things to all people, but to act as if Jeff not liking it is somehow damning is ridiculous - he doesn't like the vast majority of games in this subgenre.

Back to 76... That 10 didn't helped. Please PD go back to GT3 formula.

Well the 10 did help until another lower review came in. Might as well not bother with MC scores until the end of the week because it's going to keep going up and down, as the reviews slowly come out.

I guess this only matters to people on the fence though, now the game is already out and some of us love it, even if it isn't perfect.

Renekton

Is it bad to say I hope it goes even lower? For me its not the direction I wanted the series to go. So as bad as it sounds I hope scroes are low and sales are hit to make them rethink their strategy going forward
If it does, they will probably end the franchise and move on.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Polyphony being closed because of this...damn i could have never imagined that kind of thing, but i would not put it passed current Sony at all.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Well the 10 did help until another lower review came in. Might as well not bother with MC scores until the end of the week because it's going to keep going up and down, as the reviews slowly come out.

Do most review threads end up tracking the maths of the scores as they get released?

Egida

Neo Member
lol that's not gonna happen. In any case they could go "Nah, that was a spin-off, now here is the real Gran Turismo 7".

But that's not going to happen either. GTS is going to sell gangbusters and get Sony a lot of new PS+ subscribers. This is GT now.

Polyphony being closed because of this...damn i could have never imagined that kind of thing, but i would not put it passed current Sony at all.

I doubt it happens. I think they will position with a Gran Turismo 7 in a couple of years to get the franchise back on track. There is a reason this game is called Sport.

The only concern is with all the casual fans who pick this game up and find themselves disappointed with the lack of single player. I just hope this title doesn't hurt the overall brand going forward when it comes to that large casual audience who usually, instinctively, picks up the next Gran Turismo game.

Personally, I love the concept of Sport and I'm having a lot of fun with it but I think this would have been better suited as part of a larger package with a complete single player. They could have still developed their FIA multiplayer around that.

There's no excuse being made.

Jeff Gertsmann is not a natural fan of sim racing games. Forza Motorsport 3 and 4 are the exception to that rule. They do not disprove the rule. There were a couple of Forza Motorsport games that were accessible enough, and content packed enough, that he absolutely loved them. He has liked a few sim racers, but not for their sim racing qualities, instead for their RPG qualities. This is incredibly clear if you listen to him talk about racing games.

Jeff was never likely to like Gran Turismo Sport as it shifts more towards a pure racing game and further away from the RPG driving game that he desires. That doesn't mean his impressions aren't interesting or relevant but it is incredibly important context and it is worth pointing out when so many people are acting as if the Quick Look is gospel. Obviously, ideally, Gran Turismo Sport would be all things to all people, but to act as if Jeff not liking it is somehow damning is ridiculous - he doesn't like the vast majority of games in this subgenre.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I do think Jeff represents are larger part of the Gran Turismo fan base who Sport might not necessarily be for.

MikeBison

How did you get there! Reviewer don't always get it right.

case in point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLFT2NPXRk

Jesus Christ. This video whilst completely not relevant just won't ever go away. Dude posted this video himself NOT in a review to mainly take the piss out of himself and it spawned a wave of people questioning his gamer cred. Same goes for games like GT sport. Reviews by the average gamer for the average gamer are absolutely relevant, as are those don't by hardcore sim enthusiasts for that crowd.

Luckydog

How did you get there! Reviewer don't always get it right.

case in point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLFT2NPXRk

That's true, reviewers dont always get it right, and that video clearly shows someone making a mistake. That's not really valid here. He (jeff) didn't make a mistake, isn't being "clearly" incompitant, and is pointing out a system that may be unclear, and has been said to have been unclear to others. The guest on the podcast who is not a regular had similar insight.

Jeff's feedback isn't gospel, no ones is. And if you like the game great, based on the demo I didnt think it was bad, just not a full featured enough game for me at $60 bucks. But the amount of defense force for any and every perceived issue in the game is astounding.

Score on MC will only go down from here. I expect it to finish low 70’s

Should go up. The large punch of Playstation websites/publications haven't put their reviews up yet.

These are what boosted Forza 7's score to 86. Xbox mags suspect 10/10s and 9/10s.

Rodelero

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I do think Jeff represents are larger part of the Gran Turismo fan base who Sport might not necessarily be for.

I'm not so sure, not least because some of the things he's said recently implied he never really liked Gran Turismo all that much. I think Jeff represents a niche probably even smaller than those that want a realistic racer. There is a wider audience which probably will be turned off by some of the things in this game and more over by the things that aren't in this game, but I don't think Jeff represents that slice that well either.

Especially with such robust online features like a ranking system.

Like seriously this is what people were complaining about GT for so long, it's stale and just a collectathon and you can just repeat same races over and over again.

Now it's focused and about the core racing experience and has a killer online mode. Like that is the series moving forward and I don't think that is being counted for enough.

It is being judged based on past standards on what racing games were about. In 6th and 7th gen it was exclusively about 1) graphics 2) driving model 3) damage model if any 4) how many cars and tracks.

That's OK for last gen and previous generation when SP essentially exclusively with tack on MP was the only viable way to make a racing game.

Now it is not that way, GT Sport is meant to be the future of racing acknowledging the new paradigm of connectivity and the new presence of persistent online personas.

This is the appropriate game and service model for what GT is meant to be in this era.

If you want to play collectathon games go play GT4 or GT6. If you want the best of what can be delivered now in a racing game which is excellent online service with a ranking system, amazing driving modelling, and fantastic racing cars, get GT Sport.

The only thing I would probably agree with is that the game is content light in terms of tracks and weather options. Everything else I think is just unfitting for the times as far as criticisms. This is what racers need to be and become now.

I agree with this post. But they should still give us more weather, course maker, b-spec through, and tuning options (perhaps) through dlc.

Renekton

How can you be sure??? The game is already having a bad reception from the critics and is not casual friendly. If the game don't meet the Sony expectations they are going back to the numbers, thats for sure.
If it doesn't meet their expectations, they can also end the franchise.

Oh and Re the track issues for racers, if you're making games with the same tracks every single year, it's not out of the realm of possibility to you know...make one up.

Racing games used to do that from time to time.

I don't understand why this has become a controversial statement. I have been racing on the Nurburgring since GT4, so sorry if I don't get super excited seeing it in a game 10+ years later. Honestly I wish there would be a larger focus on getting the track counts up versus cars; seeing there is 50+ tracks in a game would mean way more to me than seeing there is 1000+ cars.

Tomeru

We´re on track for a pretty tame review thread ;)

I don't know, it's like I would suggest replacing axl rose and it would still be g&r. If you don't like where something is going, you go someplace else. It's the responsible thing to do. With games you may influence some changes to features with criticism, but the only way to make something do a complete 180 is with your wallet.

Sony replaced Ken Kutaragi. They didn't need our help with figuring out that puzzle. GT is super successful in both virtual and real worlds. No indication that this game wouldn't bring in the profits.

This whole talk about replacing people and hoping for failure is plain crazy for me. This is Kaz, not president evil.

Also, I hope you were sarcastic about legal actions.

Sigh.......

Is it attempting to simulate real life cars? If it is its a sim. It might not be the most in-depth or accurate on but lets not act like its NFS.

The sim racing community is so up its own ass sometimes.

Apologies, I was only going by others impressions. Some seemed to be suggesting it wasn't a true sim.

Anyway, doesn't change the fact that suggesting reviews for sim racers are less reliable than those for other genres is total nonsense, which is what I was responding to.

Apologies, I was only going by others impressions. Some seemed to be suggesting it wasn't a true sim.

Anyway, doesn't change the fact that suggesting reviews for sim racers are less reliable than those for other genres is total nonsense, which is what I was responding to.

But an awful lot of people don't like sim racers (whatever games are included in that definition)... So do you score your review for the masses? Or score it relative to other sim racers, I. E. Only score it for the people who are interested? That's one of the base questions/problems for reviews in general.

MaDKaT

But an awful lot of people don't like sim racers (whatever games are included in that definition)... So do you score your review for the masses? Or score it relative to other sim racers, I. E. Only score it for the people who are interested? That's one of the base questions/problems for reviews in general.

Reviewers come in all types and should score accordingly.

There are already reviewers out there that cater to the sim crowd. Just like there are those that are more casual. We need to keep them all.

It's not the most hardcore sim racer out there but it's more sim than Forza 7 for example. It has a good balance of sim, with just the right amount of accessibility to it.

Read some of the reviews, even the lower scoring ones, most praise it for the handling and gameplay, which really is great.

Gestault

Aside from a handful of people, reactions here have been mature and reasonable. What's in the game did end up clicking for some, which means the same will be true for players, but the overriding concerns about things like content have pulled down overall impressions. Most people aren't equivocating every 6 or 7 that pops up, and I've seen more people responding to written reactions than I expected.

The game isn't a full package by the series' own standards, and it's behind the rest of the genre in pretty meaningful ways, but what's there is good, and it's more consistently polished than the series has felt in more than a decade. Some people are going to be very happy expiencing iRacing-style driver accountability systems for the first time. That's a subset of traditional players, but it's something I doubt they'd have found on their own if they hadn't already looked for it.

This idea of closing PD in response to reviews alone is nuts. If sales drop off a cliff, obviously they'll react internally at PD, if not at Sony itself, but GT is an odd beast in the first place. The players who've kept up past last-gen's problems care more about the brand itself than criticism.

But this variation exists across all genres. It's not specific to driving games. The scores for GTS are no less reliable than those for any other title.

Games Reactor Denmark: "Gran Turismo is no longer the superstar it once was, as we are no longer impressed by tons of cars and lovely polygons, just like most of us no longer think poodle-hair and Def Leppard are hot stuff. The world is a different place today, as is the racing genre, but Gran Turismo remains stuck in the past."

This is what everyone said about gt6, and that it needs to modernize. PD still missed the boat on AI, and damage model (but still better or par with competition), but totally reformed the online game. Gt6 had almost everything and that wasn't good enough, but neither is this one.

88random

This is why we can't have good things. The series is finally evolving, Sport is on it's way to be the best GT since GT 3, and now the game is getting panned for something that it didn't want to be from the beginning. And people are moaning about career mode which was never that good. I get the content complaints, but we are eventually going to get all those cars and tracks. And the goddamned singleplayer races btw. PD is slow in terms of making content and they should do something about that, but they always deliver a great product.

Upinsmoke

The game is getting reviewed against pathetic ideas of what the game should be and what it actually is.

There's nothing wrong with the racing aspect, nothing wrong visually. Just the fact it had a limited amount of content compared to earlier gt's and is online focused. If this was a new studio with this as the debut it's getting much higher ratings. It's like knocking fifa down a few scores a because it doesn't have a world cup mode or liscensed champions league. Or the fact that career mode in sports game is taking more of a backseat and more efforts are put into online modes but they don't receive the same kind of negativity.

MaDKaT

This is what everyone said about gt6, and that it needs to modernize. PD still missed the boat on AI, and damage model (but still better or par with competition), but totally reformed the online game. Gt6 had everything and that wasn't good enough. Only thing left to do is make the series more casual I guess?

To be fair, GT6 just brought forward a lot of nagging issues that plagued the series since the beginning and missed out on doing features that were prevalent in many racers at the time. PD had plenty of time since 3 to modernize but remained static in the face of new games pushing new features.

MaDKaT

This is why we can't have good things. The series is finally evolving, Sport is on it's way to be the best GT since GT 3, and now the game is getting panned for something that it didn't want to be from the beginning. And people are moaning about career mode which was never that good. I get the content complaints, but we are eventually going to get all those cars and tracks. And the goddamned singleplayer races btw. PD is slow in terms of making content and they should do something about that, but they always deliver a great product.

There was a middle ground to be had with GTS but PD snubbed the legacy it built and the expectations that came with it.

To be fair, GT6 just brought forward a lot of nagging issues that plagued the series since the beginning and missed out on doing features that were prevalent in many racers at the time. PD had plenty of time since 3 to modernize but remained static in the face of new games pushing new features.

Seems like this isn't good enough either. Guess PD just needs to deliver GT6 + GTS in one game, plus AI and Damage.

PantsuJo

FOR. YOU.

/honestRant

Top Bottom