• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is up with the "My Sex Junk" segment on Bill Nye's new show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
I like Rachel Bloom from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

This is like something straight out of that show, it is meant to be in character of a horrible character.

But yeah, this the worst song I've heard from here.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
We've been watching this show and it's not bad but pretty weird. I think the live aspect of it sorta works against it.

I watched a random non-sex episode of the show and thought it was horrible. I don't think Bloom is the problem. I mean the one I saw (conspiracy ep) was so cringey, stupid and non-entertaining I wanted to believe in chemtrails afterwards. The laughter-on-cue studio audience was like parody.

Yeah, the skit is bad, but it's a little ridiculous to act like it's worse than anything else on that show.

Krixeus

Ru11QML.gif

CloudWolf

Who thought this was a good idea? And why the hell does Rachel Bloom sound so terrible here? I mean, I get that her vocals in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend aren't live, but here she sounds like someone who has absolutely no experience doing anything remotely close to singing.

I'm a pretty liberal guy and I don't disagree with anything in the song.....but wtf guys. How did you think this was a good idea? Everything needs context and this really doesn't work at all in context.

If it was a song on Crazy ex girlfriend with her character explaining sexuality to another character than sure.....but in an educational show? Nah.

antonz

Its a poor attempt at using Bill Nye's brand and now make it "adult". I mean they have a segment where they discuss if the Western world should institute a China like birthing policy limiting children.

The same industrialized segment of the planet experiencing population drop etc. through natural decision making rather than trying to introduce draconian laws.

I......wow the cringe is above and beyond anything I have experienced. My face literally hurts. Guys, someone actually made this...THIS!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's Bloom without the production value,camerawork and context that would otherwise make this fantastic.

Phu

Banned
Curious about what this show actually is like and there's an ice cream cartoon segment on sexuality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46h-LfNWPn8

This show looks so, so bad.

This is super weird and I'm not sure it sends the best message. Because the others coaxed vanilla into trying something other than vanilla it still makes it seem like conversion is a legit thing.

It was so simple. All they had to do was make Bill Nye the Science Guy for an adult audience.

I'm just going to repeat what I said yesterday in the other topic...

I was there on day zero with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and it's one of my currently produced shows but that was baaaaaad, this pretty much sums up my reaction to watching that segment.

OkvwqmM.gif

Even as a cringe inducer that was bad cringe.

Xe4

Banned
This is super weird and I'm not sure it sends the best message. Because the others coaxed vanilla into trying something other than vanilla it still makes it seem like conversion is a legit thing.

It was so simple. All they had to do was make Bill Nye the Science Guy for an adult audience.

For real. Fox made a half decent remake of fucking Cosmos, of all things. That Netflix couldn't update and remake Bill Nye The Science Guy is fucking weak.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This segment is completely par for the course for this show. The whole thing is an embarrassment of astounding proportions. I have no idea how the show managed to get through so many financial and creative checkpoints without someone pulling the emergency stop cord. It's like they transported a production team in from 1991, showed them the Poochie episode of the Simpsons, and told them "Make that but as a live variety show, and make sure to leave in all the 4-7 second bits of dead space while the set changes between segments." I have so many questions I would ask the producers.

soco

cringe-worthy isn't how i'd describe this at all. just boring like most of the crazy ex-gf stuff.

i don't even get what's cringe-worthy about it. we have daily posts on gaf that are far more cringe-worthy than this.

When the first ep started I thought the show was Nye hosting a panel of pro-science celebs and professionals with maybe some Daily Show-esque remote segments. Thought it was a pretty good premise.

15 minutes in...wow what garbage.

This segment is completely par for the course for this show. The whole thing is an embarrassment of astounding proportions. I have no idea how the show managed to get through so many financial and creative checkpoints without someone pulling the emergency stop cord. It's like they transported a production team in from 1991, showed them the Poochie episode of the Simpsons, and told them "Make that but as a live variety show, and make sure to leave in all the 4-7 second bits of dead space while the set changes between segments." I have so many questions I would ask the producers.
Yup, it's a massive fuckup.

KarmaCow

Yea I bailed about part way through the first episode, I don't understand who this is for. It's embarrassing for everyone involved.

Ri'Orius

Yeah, I really liked that ice cream cartoon until then. Vanilla's problem wasn't that he liked vanilla, it was that he insisted everyone else conform. It's fine to be vanilla if that's your jam.

As far as the Rachel Bloom song, does anyone know if she's done anything else live? Could be that that's just not something she's good at. Which is fine: her TV and YouTube stuff is great.

But it seems weird that a sketch-based production involving so many talented people could be as big a flop as it seems like this one was. Like, it would make sense if Bill's stuff fell flat but guests did okay, but how could everything be bad? Was the whole thing super rushed? Terrible leadership?

Madness

Couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it...who is the show aimed at? Why do I want to see some supermodel and a rapper talk about things disappearing due to climate change etc. I didn't even bother with the clip in OP if sp many of you hate it, it probably sucks. I think it is probably our changed society and how the shows we watch have changed. I made my 9 year old cousin watch a Saved By the Bell episode and he was saying it was some of the stupidrst shit he had ever seen and would rather watch something on YouTube. And he was right, I couldn't imagine a Saved By The Bell show working today. So neither does Bill and his antics. It should have been pre-taped segments, nothing in front of a live audience and less shtick.

Kinyou

It also seems to end with everyone fucking everyone in one big mix? How does that even fit to sexuality anymore?
And what's with the fake laughter?

This seems terribly over produced with no real direction

Yeah, I really liked that ice cream cartoon until then. Vanilla's problem wasn't that he liked vanilla, it was that he insisted everyone else conform. It's fine to be vanilla if that's your jam.

As far as the Rachel Bloom song, does anyone know if she's done anything else live? Could be that that's just not something she's good at. Which is fine: her TV and YouTube stuff is great.

But it seems weird that a sketch-based production involving so many talented people could be as big a flop as it seems like this one was. Like, it would make sense if Bill's stuff fell flat but guests did okay, but how could everything be bad? Was the whole thing super rushed? Terrible leadership?

She has a background in musical theatre, like a lot of the cast of CEG.

https://twitter.com/CW_CrazyXGF/status/854741406996353025
https://twitter.com/CW_CrazyXGF/status/854016631571333120
https://twitter.com/CW_CrazyXGF/status/851498773545009153

The Cake Farts Song (NSFW obviously)
Rachel Bloom Sings Favorite Tunes From the CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
"Sexy Getting Ready Song" Live
Inappropriate Musicals w/ Nathan Lane & Rachel Bloom

There's more but took me way too long. It did seem rushed and I haven't seen the full episode or any of this show but judging from the response it seems I dodged a bullet.

Its a poor attempt at using Bill Nye's brand and now make it "adult". I mean they have a segment where they discuss if the Western world should institute a China like birthing policy limiting children.

The same industrialized segment of the planet experiencing population drop etc. through natural decision making rather than trying to introduce draconian laws.

He's even gone anti-natalist?

Jesus...

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it...who is the show aimed at? Why do I want to see some supermodel and a rapper talk about things disappearing due to climate change etc. I didn't even bother with the clip in OP if sp many of you hate it, it probably sucks. I think it is probably our changed society and how the shows we watch have changed. I made my 9 year old cousin watch a Saved By the Bell episode and he was saying it was some of the stupidrst shit he had ever seen and would rather watch something on YouTube. And he was right, I couldn't imagine a Saved By The Bell show working today. So neither does Bill and his antics. It should have been pre-taped segments, nothing in front of a live audience and less shtick.

The thing is his original show was pretty funny. Had lots of Tim and Eric type jokes and movie references for adults and some semi entertaining science for the kids. They could have updated that formula with bigger experiments (cgi now would allow him to do whatever) and the same punchy editing and it would fit right in with today's entertainment

Looks like they made a ton of mistakes for this shit show

depths20XX

I've never seen the show but it seems to be a disaster. A lot of negative stuff about it on facebook about the show and Bill Nye. Seems to be pleasing no one.

This song single handily made me almost burn my old Bill Nye VHSs...
Also how is this science again?
I want to learn about physics, nature, the universe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom