• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

Toppot

It. just. got. interesting!

Seriously, this puts a lot of things into question, I'm just gonna sit back and watch how this goes.

BraXzy

I see this as extremely good news.

Positives of Facebook entering into VR race:
- Oculus now has infinite budget to craft perfect hardware, software and entire VR platform for PC and portables
- Countless more developers will become interested in VR, short byte-size games will find much larger audience on VR
- VR promotion on Facebook.com = MILLIONS of VR adopters on day 1
- More VR users of all kinds = more AAA games for us PC gamers
- Immediate infusion of entertainment/documentary/travel content
- Holy grail of VR - social networking inside minecraft-esque VR space. Just what Snow Crash depicted in its Metaverse.
- with stylized design, VR metaverse could be run even from iOS/Android phones
- Facebook can sell hardware with loss, providing incredibly HQ hardware for ~$99
- Presence of strong player in VR will force Sony to become very invested in VR, making much more compelling product and enabling 3rd parties much more streamlined patch toward porting games to PS4

Negatives?
So far, none, as long PC gamers get what they were promised [and FB is willing not to interfere with that].

This is good news for VR.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. If or when Facebook seem to be tampering with what's going on at the minute and making the gaming aspect worse, I don't see what reason there is to be disheartened by the fact Oculus just got a HUGE financial boost.

Put it this way, they just got ONE THOUSAND Kickstarter campaigns overnight.

morpheus___the_matrix_by_benji3o3-d50bc8i.gif

erawsd

This is Sony's worst nightmare. Facebook is a stronger brand name and have a lot of money to back OR which was already better than Sony's tech. I can't wait to see what the final version of OR will look like.

Not really. There is a huge step between signing people up for a free service and actually getting them to part with their $$$. Facebook has not proven it can do the latter. Ex: the much hyped Facebook Phone was a massive failure.

Spookie

Not sure how I feel with them being acquired by a bunch of suits who wish to make nothing but short term gains and run things in to the ground. Kind of the polar opposite of what they are aiming for basically. :|

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how Valve feels about this, considering they were helping. If I were them I'd drop them like hot potatoes and start my own stuff. The fact that they now need to answer to higher powers makes them harder to predict and harder to guide to where Valve probably wants to go. Not to mention Valve doesn't have the same businesses practices as Facebook.

"Yes, you suckers, thanks for putting the potential market on a silver plate!"

Philly40

Is this deal $2 Billion cash or $2 Billion in Facebook shares?

I remember Yahoo bought Geocities for about $4 billion in shares back in the late 1990's - how well did that turn out for both of them?

Gamerloid

- Oculus now has infinite budget to craft perfect hardware, software and entire VR platform for PC and portables
- Countless more developers will become interested in VR, short byte-size games will find much larger audience on VR
- Holy grail of VR - social networking inside minecraft-esque VR space. Just what Snow Crash depicted in its Metaverse.
- Facebook can sell hardware with loss, providing incredibly HQ hardware for ~$99
- Presence of strong player in VR will force Sony to become very invested in VR, making much more compelling product and enabling 3rd parties much more streamlined patch toward porting games to PS4

Negatives?
So far, none, as long PC gamers get what they were promised [and FB is willing not to interfere with that].

Faith restoring

Talamius

so come 2015 I get to choose between a giant megacorporation knee deep in nefarious exploitative practices to bring me a full fat VR experience and a second giant megacorporation knee deep in debt whose VR solution will anchor me to their underpowered proprietary crap box.

This. This so much.

Save us, GabeN.

Dennis

Banned

Negatives?

ijgj47ux9a6.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Well...

Skepticism aside, this pretty much guarantees that VR will blow up in a big way in a relatively short time, right? Game developers on the fence previously are probably on board now.

This will attract the worst kind of developers IMO. The Zyngas and the King.com's.

Jarmel

Banned
And this is why it would have been better for Valve to have bought them.

The bit that puzzles me most: I could absolutely understand Zuckerberg buying Oculus Rift; It's hot, it's potentially a good investment, it makes sense. But this is Facebook purchasing it, and I just can't see where Oculus fits into their business model.
boom
But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.

bee

changes nothing for me personally, can't say I like facebook but I most definitely won't be cancelling my dk2 pre order, seems to me that most of the concern is coming from hyper sensitive types and people now worried that oculus now have a $100 billion company backing them (and are now real competition) where as before they were some little kickstarter company

Faith

Negatives?

Thanks for the post! Oculus Rift will be the next big thing! 1000 times bigger than in our wildest dreams!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
after thinking about it, i feel like this might be a good thing actually. occulus needs cash more than anything, and based on instagram, facebook seems like a company that's happy with letting it's subsidiaries remain autonomous. if this means 1440p 90hz amoled panels then im not even mad.

Tapiozona

Banned
The problem is that every single thing you mentioned is a bad business decision. Not to mention that advertising on FB won't do anything because the amount of people that will realistically buy the Oculus is very low regardless of acquisition. This is a niche and is destined to be one.

Why is it a bad business decision?

Stet

Banned

Negatives?

Good post. Won't be read.

R&D

Banned
It's pretty clear that kickstarting is a donation, not an investment. Keep in mind, Occulus VR raised $91 Million in capital, only 2.4 Million of which was actually through Kickstarter.

Ah so it's a donation. I thought you were offered something in return:

5$ -> You get a poster
15$ -> You get the poster + the soundtrack
and so on...

Top Bottom