• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

Raist

Banned
From what Palmer said, Oculus will become even better, they now have the clout to set the standard for the future of VR gaming.

This isn't a good thing for Sony, they do not have the clout to back Morpheous the way Facebook will.

Power of the Clout

That's why Kickstarter sucks. These guys get 2 billion and all you get is a soon to be outdated version of their product.

I never actually thought of that. What bullshit. Yeah, I know "herpderp kickstarters knee what they were getting into" and all that but ultimately...what bullshit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
kaz.png

Hah, was about to do a joke post saying almost the same thing.

tfur

I can't wait to FaceSpace in VR. Gonna poke and like all day long, while creeping time lines.

LOL. Not feeling the FB takeover.

lantus

I guess all of our hopes and dreams rest on project morpheus now. I seriously didn't see this coming, facebook is just acquiring companies like mad.

All those mobile games in VR.

See why doctors hate this 75 year old woman in VR.

See what someone who never spoke to you at school is eating in VR.

Click to T&C in VR.
Where we now own all your data and will continue to spy on you

I am so glad I didn't back it. I had a lot of faith in the technology but now? Ughhhh...

Sony needs to make Morpheus compatible with PC and it has instantly won the "VR war."

Billen

Banned
Facebook are in it for the long run, gunning for augmented reality. Think beacons, think ads, think learning your everyday pattern.

Seems like Oculus got ripped off on the facebook stock. Facebook is already declining rapidly to twitter and instagram and whatever is cool and next. Should have just asked for more cash since thats what they seem to be after.

GetemMa

You know this kind of makes Kickstarter look like shit.

Those backers wanted that on AAA PC and consoles games.

Now it is VR farmville.

I doubt they feel their non investment was worth it.

I wonder how long Carmack will be contractually obliged to stay with the company? I'm betting the second that time is up he's out the door.

Hopefully Facebook/Mark are fairly hands off in their approach and the investment leads to improved and speedy to market Rift products.

Durante

Thank you for making that list. Hopefully this will cool down people a bit. We can still complain and lose our shit when things change for the worse.
No, I'd rather complain now and then tell you I told you so. That way, I at least get some satisfaction out of it.

Now THAT is how you surprise the whole internet with a single tweet.
DAMN, that's crazy.

Well, let's see where this takes us. Kickstarter backers should be rather upset.

mclem

The bit that puzzles me most: I could absolutely understand Zuckerberg buying Oculus Rift; It's hot, it's potentially a good investment, it makes sense. But this is Facebook purchasing it, and I just can't see where Oculus fits into their business model.

KaiserBecks

Competitor blown away in a single shot. They still have Valve to compete with but their victory is one step closer.

Yeah, right. It's not like the competition just got a lot bigger....Do you think they put two billion dollars on the table in order to shut Oculus down?

scitek

Is Zuckerberg much of a gamer? Serious question, because I feel like he could maybe sort of be legitimately interested in keeping things like we have already seen. Maybe.

Top Bottom