• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•18-20•17 - Dolled up Deadpool & Nick Fury team up, get Logan (not that one)

Wonder Woman is now the best Super Hero Origin movie passing Spider-Man 1.

PGWACLp.png
It's almost as if WW was already a house hold Name that catered to a long ignored new audience and somehow never had her own movie in 70+ years of existence!

Spider-Man will make at least $100M in China. All of the MCU films except GotG1 have hit that mark since Iron Man 3, and GotG1 made it to $95M.
Why do you think D.C. Films aren't nearly as successful in China? Does WW starring a woman could have anything to do with it?

kswiston

Why do you think D.C. Films aren't nearly as successful in China? Does WW starring a woman could have anything to do with it?

No. China and most of East Asia just prefers the MCU. Wonder Woman didn't make that much less than BvS in China.

EDIT: I went back in checked. BvS ended around 620M RMB in China. Wonder Woman ended at 600M RMB.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
With next week's expansion, Wonder Woman should end up with at least 13 consecutive weekends over $1m. For context, Civil War had 8 straight weekends, Iron Man 3 had 9 and The Dark Knight had 11.

P4wt1jp.gif

border

Will box office numbers for Inhumans even be available?

I never see numbers for Fathom Events screenings or other special one-night-only events.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Anyone want to place some early bets on Inhumans

I honestly have no clue. It's running for less than two weeks, right? And only on IMAX screens? Plus, it looks crummy and you can just watch it on TV a few weeks later. I'm trying to mentally come up with a precedent so I know where to aim, but I can't think of anything lol

I'm going to Price is Right this shit. Inhumans IMAX - $1.00

kswiston

Will box office numbers for Inhumans even be available?

I never see numbers for Fathom Events screenings or other special one-night-only events.

We got numbers for the Game of Thrones IMAX run a couple of years back. That made $1.9M in week on 200 screens.

1978: Superman - $134m
1989: Batman - $251m
2002: Spider-Man - $403m
2017: Wonder Woman - $404m+

Timeline of highest grossing superhero origin movies. I continuously doubted Wonder Woman's performance and it continuously proved me wrong, but I've been saying for months that it belonged in the conversation with those other three movies for biggest landmarks in the genre. It's a well-deserved success. Only thing that could make it sweeter would if it had performed better overseas to be the #1 DCEU film worldwide.

Annabelle had a pretty strong hold for a horror movie, but about average for the Conjureverse.

El Topo

It's almost as if WW was already a house hold Name that catered to a long ignored new audience and somehow never had her own movie in 70+ years of existence!

I don't know. Are you sure? I mean, even Stan Lee said that "we don't have to knock ourselves out finding a female."
But yes, joke aside, I think it's hard to deny that WW was also this successful due to her status and appeal.

kswiston

I don't know if I can buy Wonder Woman as a landmark in the genre, unless we are including more than 5 entries. All of the films that held the origin record before Wonder Woman were the biggest things in the superhero genre for years. All of them broke the weekend gross record. Wonder Woman is going to top out a bit less than 2/3rds of the high water mark for the genre, and maybe 5th overall domestically. Worldwide, it isn't even going to be in the Top 10.

Wonder Woman is important for other reasons though.

I don't know if I can buy Wonder Woman as a landmark in the genre, unless we are including more than 5 entries. All of the films that held the origin record before Wonder Woman were the biggest things in the superhero genre for years. All of them broke the weekend gross record. Wonder Woman is going to top out a bit less than 2/3rds of the high water mark for the genre, and maybe 5th overall domestically. Worldwide, it isn't even going to be in the Top 10.

Those other reasons are what I was referring to. Wonder Woman is going to change the course of future comic book movies, like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man all did.

And sure, you can include as many movies as you want in a list of important movies.

Those other reasons are what I was referring to. Wonder Woman is going to change the course of future comic book movies, like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man all did.

And sure, you can include as many movies as you want in a list of important movies.

Feels like we're pretty dug into this comic book movie thing for Wonder Woman to make any discernable changes.

El Topo

Feels like we're pretty dug into this comic book movie thing for Wonder Woman to make any discernable changes.

Could signal a change to more female superheroes though. At the very least it killed the "female superhero movies cannot make money" narrative.

Litan

Other than proving female-led cape movies can be successful, I don't see how it'll change the course of future CBMs. Unlike with Superman and Raimi's Spiderman, we're already in the golden age of cape films.
As for Burton's Batman was it that big for its' time? Honest question, because I don't know much about those movies. Watched them a long time ago and didn't really like them much.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I'd say WW is far more important that potentially. This is the first time female director has made such a successful action block buster. If Patty Jenkins leads the way for more female action block byster directors it'll have far more an impact than either Spiderman or Batman did. Genre specifically a rise in female directors and emale lead superheroes could lead to more gains in the demographic.

As for Burton's Batman was it that big for its' time? Honest question, because I don't know much about those movies. Watched them a long time ago and didn't really like them much.

I think it was a massive cultural (and merchandising) phenomenon at the time in the US.

Wonder Woman is now the best Super Hero Origin movie passing Spider-Man 1.

PGWACLp.png

Fun question: Where is Black Panther going to end up on this list? I don't see it reaching the Spidey/WW heights, but if it's as good as people are hoping, can it pass GOTG and Deadpool?

I'd say WW is far more important that potentially. This is the first time female director has made such a successful action block buster. If Patty Jenkins leads the way for more female action block byster directors it'll have far more an impact than either Spiderman or Batman did. Genre specifically a rise in female directors and emale lead superheroes could lead to more gains in the demographic.

I guess Point Break isn't really considered a blockbuster, but it's not like we haven't had successful female directed action movies before.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Lets not be a revisionist here, no one was expecting the movie to have such legs.

Credit where credit is due, Patty and co did a great movie that resonated with audiences. On January people were wondering if Gal could carry the movie by herself and the movie wasnt tracking so hot plus all the gloom surrounding the film.

Yeah lets not go into the "she is an extremely popular character of course the movie is going to make money" argument.

Superman is more popular than WW and MoS didnt have those legs.

Question: If Black Panther were to hypothetically make more than WW, would it be disqualified from the "origin movie" milestone on account of Civil War?

kswiston

Could signal a change to more female superheroes though. At the very least it killed the "female superhero movies cannot make money" narrative.

I think the only major change that Wonder Woman will bring about to the entire genre is offering more female directors a chance to helm these producer driven blockbusters. We've been getting a lot of up and coming (or lowkey career) directors chosen for franchise superhero films, but they have all been male until Patty. If extensive experience isn't necessary to get behind the camera on a MCU or DCEU film, they might as well get more diverse viewpoints to the 6-8 films we are getting a year.

Female superheroes? Gotham City Sirens, Batgirl, and Captain Marvel were all in various stages of pre-production before Wonder Woman released. I guess we can say that Wonder Woman didn't offer any incentive to kill those films. It also convinced Sony to go ahead with the Silver Sable and Black Cat film that was rumored to be in the works before Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman as an actual film? It was mostly well worn ground. Some of the role dynamics were unusual for a superhero films (given that they have all been pretty male-centric in recent years), but aren't all that uncommon for female-led action films in general. Emotionally, Wonder Woman had the right mix of Donner Superman, Raimi Spider-man, and the fish out of water stuff from the first Thor (but done better). The film was well done, but it felt like a refinement on what has worked for the past 10-20 years in the genre, rather than an attempt to do something different (that would change the dynamics of the genre as copycats switch streams).

Now, you can definitely make the argument that Wonder Woman will have great influence on the DCEU's corner of the superhero genre. I think that WB and DC Entertainment will make a rapid retreat from the tone of their first few films.

El Topo

I think the only major change that Wonder Woman will bring about to the entire genre is offering more female directors a chance to helm these producer driven blockbusters.

We'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up.

Female superheroes? Gotham City Sirens, Batgirl, and Captain Marvel were all in various stages of pre-production before Wonder Woman released. I guess we can say that Wonder Woman didn't offer any incentive to kill those films. It also convinced Sony to go ahead with the Silver Sable and Black Cat film that was rumored to be in the works before Wonder Woman.

When you look at the genre (both movies and comics) as a whole or the things executives have said for years (e.g. Perlmutter pointing at Catwoman/Elektra), I think it is not unreasonable to say that WW is a milestone.
If WW had been a financial disappointment (or a bomb) I think it would have set back or delayed a lot of things and/or led to cancelled projects.

kswiston

We'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up.

When you look at the genre (both movies and comics) as a whole or the things executives have said for years (e.g. Perlmutter pointing at Catwoman/Elektra), I think it is not unreasonable to say that WW is a milestone.
If WW had been a financial disappointment (or a bomb) I think it would have set back or delayed a lot of things and/or led to cancelled projects.

I think that all three of those films that I mentioned would have come out regardless. Harley is popular (and proven after Suicide Squad). Batman is popular, and I don't think that WB would give up the chance to have "From the Director of The Avengers" on one of their DCEU films. Marvel doesn't really need to follow trends.

You are probably right about Sony's female led film.

This is a bigger win for the people behind the camera, I think.

El Topo

I think that all three of those films that I mentioned would have come out regardless. Harley is popular (and proven after Suicide Squad). Batman is popular, and I don't think that WB would give up the chance to have "From the Director of The Avengers" on one of their DCEU films. Marvel doesn't really need to follow trends.

You are probably right about Sony's female led film.

Captain Marvel was announced in 2014 and thus can be considered safe. Gotham Sirens was certainly made possible by the popularity of Harley (both in comics and Suicide Squad) and is probably also safe. Not so sure about Batgirl, not to mention whatever other movies are planned at studios. It is incredibly important though to have this movie out, to have something people can point at and bring up as an example of a successful female superhero movie.

This is a bigger win for the people behind the camera, I think.

I really hope so, but I keep my expectations in check. The yearly diversity reports are always disappointing.

So Spider-Man Homecoming is now more than $52 million above The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and $112 million above The Amazing Spider-Man 2 final LTD. It should easily pass $320 million at this rate.

Meanwhile Annabelle sequel is tracking higher than the original film despite opening lower.

As I said in the other thread, Homecoming's performance has been interesting as there's nothing to really push it out of theaters, so it's settling into 30% drop week-to-week.

kswiston

Above Dr. Strange, below Batman.

Black Panther is hard to predict, since we don't have much in February to compare it to. If it's good, I could see it over Batman. There's nothing on the schedule that will push it out of theatres in a hurry. March 2018 doesn't look like March 2017.

Top Bottom