• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

felipepl said:
Anyone with 3D Vision able to test it? Today's beta driver release adds a profile for it.
The driver works great for me. The game is rated as 'Excellent' and suggests you turn off water reflections. It looks great in 3D and runs well on my 2 GTX 560s, 60fps with dips maxed out with FXAA only.

Peterthumpa

Sutton Dagger said:
Alright so I'm getting 30-40fps with Ultra (every slider maxed) 2x AA and 16x Anisotropic filtering @ 1080p. I used those tree shadow ini tweeks and it did cause a 3-4fps hit, but it adds 'depth' to the trees so I think I'll leave it on.

This is running on an imac:

SB i7 @3.4 Quad
6970m (slightly overclocked so it performs in the desktop 6870 range)
12gb ram

Quite happy with the results.
Strange, I was really expecting better results. Which SB is yours?

Gvaz

Banned
Anyone with a similar setup to this report back?

AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5ghz
8gb ddr2
ATI RadeonHD 4890 1GB

KKRT00

I've just picked up my copy and lol at steamworks, i cant install it, but i can preload it.
And whats with download speed on Steam? 350-500kb/s is really bad, fortunately i have plenty of time till midnight.

Salaadin

theBishop said:
ICan anyone confirm that the retail copy unlocks on Steam? I've seen some boxart with the GFW ribbon... a little worrying.

Retail does unlock on Steam. The GFW logo is just that...a logo. I think it means a few other things like XBL controller support and whatnot but it is not the horrendous Games for Windows Live that we all love to hate.

felipepl said:
Strange, I was really expecting better results. Which SB is yours?
Sorry, should have said equivalent 6850 gpu.

I have the 2600 i7. It's the gpu that is constraining me obviously, but I come from console gaming heritage so 30fps is fine for me :)

ctrayne

theBishop said:
Can anyone confirm that the retail copy unlocks on Steam? I've seen some boxart with the GFW ribbon... a little worrying.
Same exact thing with New Vegas and Just Cause 2, both Steam titles. GFW =/= GFWL. :)

I'll be playing on:
i7-920 @ 3.8 GHz
HD6950 2GB (OC@1000/1375, Reference, shaders unlocked via BIOS)
12GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Res: 1920x1200

Will report on performance once I get home from work.
If I can keep FFXIV above 60fps with 4xMSAA, I should probably be able to keep Skryim up there with more than decent settings.

Drazgul

subversus said:
guys, what about UI? I got an impression that it has a separate UI for PC. If it is the case does it change if I switch to gamepad?

The hell it does. The UI is an absolute travesty - this better not be hard-coded, because it really needs modding.

Wallach

Sutton Dagger said:
Edit: So started using the ini tweak for disabling the default v-sync and switched to d3doverrider and it seems to chew up some frames as well. I switched back to the default in-game vsync and I'm noticing a very slight (2-3 fps) increase in fps. Weird.

That's interesting. Not a big deal though so long as they are not using variable/smart vsync.

KKRT00

theBishop said:
Can anyone confirm that the retail copy unlocks on Steam? I've seen some boxart with the GFW ribbon... a little worrying.
With my copy it looked like this, i put in DVD, i choose language and then it opened Steam where i need to put cd-key, after that it gave me info that i cant install it, because its not out yet, but it shows on steam account so You can make preload.

ctrayne

Drazgul said:
The UI is an absolute travesty - this better not be hard-coded, because it really needs modding.
Really? It looked incredibly elegant compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3. THOSE were travesties. Is it at least better than those?

playing it now, it's pretty decent i suppose. like the GUI is a lot better, more clean, the animations are a lot better, and there is a lot more ambient animations and stuff. pretty cool, but it's boring, i'd rather do homework than play it.

Ashour said:
Wait, what region (country) has it unlocked?

Australia.

As I said in the other thread, as people are having trouble with their VPN services, couldn't you just get an Aussie to unlock it for you? How would that process work?

Alpha-Bromega said:
playing it now, it's pretty decent i suppose. like the GUI is a lot better, more clean, the animations are a lot better, and there is a lot more ambient animations and stuff. pretty cool, but it's boring, i'd rather do homework than play it.

ADD generation forces at work here. XD This game requires time, stick with it, it'll pay off!

Alpha-Bromega said:

Eh?

Cptkrush

PLaying on Ultra
925 X4 at 3.4ghz
Crossfire 6870
8 gigs of ram

Terrible performance, Crossfire seems to be borked for me, I have to check for driver updates and such when I get off work. However, disabling crossfire using the same settings produces 30 fps exterior and 60 fps interior with a bit of variation on the framerate. Can't wait until I can get CF working with this, it's so damn pretty.

Cptkrush said:
PLaying on Ultra
925 X4 at 3.4ghz
Crossfire 6870
8 gigs of ram

Terrible performance, Crossfire seems to be borked for me, I have to check for driver updates and such when I get off work. However, disabling crossfire using the same settings produces 30 fps exterior and 60 fps interior with a bit of variation on the framerate. Can't wait until I can get CF working with this, it's so damn pretty.

Use RadeonPro... and force oblivion settings

Drazgul

ctrayne said:
Really? It looked incredibly elegant compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3. THOSE were travesties. Is it at least better than those?

Looks are a distant second to ease of use, and this has none of it. Completely made for a console controller with no regards to PC. I'd trade this for the unmodded Oblivion UI in a heartbeat - this doesn't even have 1-8 hotkey shortcuts to switch/use items. Everything you do is clunky and you have to go through several menus for most things.

trw

ctrayne said:

Not for pc... It's a lot worse than at least fallout. Can't use the mouse properly and doesn't rebind itself. I use esdf for movement but has to switch my hands to wasd in menus. It's also really bad from a design point of view, no overview of things just a simple list which I suppose works for console.

Combine

Banned
Would it do me any good to update my Nvidia drivers now? Or should I wait until they release one specifically for Skyrim?

For the record:

My current driver: 275.33
Most recently released driver: 285.62

and my dxdiag specs:
CPU: i7-2600K 3.4Ghz
Mem: 8GB
VidCard: GTX 560Ti

So until drivers come out.. RadeonPro enables weak crossfire scaling for Skyrim.. using either Bioshock or Elder Scrolls IV profile...

Kukuk

Banned
Really hoping I can get high settings on my 6670. I have the benefit of only running at 1440x900, so I think it may be doable.

Drazgul said:
Looks are a distant second to ease of use, and this has none of it. Completely made for a console controller with no regards to PC. I'd trade this for the unmodded Oblivion UI in a heartbeat - this doesn't even have 1-8 hotkey shortcuts to switch/use items. Everything you do is clunky and you have to go through several menus for most things.

To be honest it isn't the best on the 360 controller either. You can't quickly change weapons/magic etc with the 8 directions on the d-pad like Oblivion, instead you have to put the weapon/magic in your favourites menu and select it using up on the d-pad. It takes 2-3 seconds just to switch weapons... Am I missing something?

Echoplx

I was honestly expecting an easy 60FPS with this game, New Vegas maxed ran that well. I guess we'll have to wait for patches/drivers before we can say it's just the game for sure.

pc version feels like they remapped everything to some keyboard keys and the A button to enter and mouse click and called it a day.

coopolon

Looks I'll be controller gaming it up on my couch for first playthrough. I'll play it with kb/m next time after they've modded the ui.

They've fallen so far from the Morrowing UI. I remember that being pretty awesome even unmodded on PC.

Drazgul

Sutton Dagger said:
To be honest it isn't the best on the 360 controller either. You can't quickly change weapons/magic etc with the 8 directions on the d-pad like Oblivion, instead you have to put the weapon/magic in your favourites menu and select it using up on the d-pad. It takes 2-3 seconds just to switch weapons... Am I missing something?

Yeah I had a feeling I wouldn't have liked it on a console either, but I obviously haven't tried that yet. FO3/NV was perfectly serviceable IMO (not without issues ofc) and an improvement over Oblivion's - they took a big step backwards with this one, sadly.

Wallach

coopolon said:
They've fallen so far from the Morrowing UI. I remember that being pretty awesome even unmodded on PC.

Don't remind me, I fucking hate Morrowind's default UI.

Does the scroll wheel work in Skyrim? Also, some folks are saying you can bind 1-8 on PC and others are saying you cannot, which is it?

mileS

How exactly do you use FXAA with AMD cards? Is it an option in-game or something in the CCC? I don't see anything in the CCC but i'm still running 11.5 drivers.

Jubbly

There's a 60fps cap in the game and you can hit that in a lot of spots with a GTX 560 when using Ultra settings. From what I've seen (had the game for a week), your CPU determines your frame rate more than anything.

Wallach

mileS said:
How exactly do you use FXAA with AMD cards? Is it an option in-game or something in the CCC? I don't see anything in the CCC but i'm still running 11.5 drivers.

I assume it's in the settings menu from the launcher, there won't be any settings like that once you're in-game.

bengraven

Gonna be playing this with a 9800GT, 4g RAM, 2.5 Quad Intel Processor.

Not ideal, but I could run The Witcher on med-low settings and it was just fine and looked gorgeous. Oblivion and DA:O on full settings.

mileS

Wallach said:
I assume it's in the settings menu from the launcher, there won't be any settings like that once you're in-game.

er yea I forgot how it worked with the Fallout 3 launcher. Yea I guess I meant launcher options instead of in-game.

thx y'all.

ACE 1991

Jubbly said:
There's a 60fps cap in the game and you can hit that in a lot of spots with a GTX 560 when using Ultra settings. From what I've seen (had the game for a week), your CPU determines your frame rate more than anything.

My i5 2500K at 4.0GHZ is ready.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mrbob said:
Couldn't you just adjust the max FPS to 30 in an ini file cap it there?
Yes, but those locks rarely work well on the PC and typically introduce very minor microstuttering to the image. It becomes more consistent, but it's not as smooth as a solid 30 fps as you might see on a console. A very strange issues indeed.

Hopefully lowering details will allow me to hit 60, though.

I also hope I don't have to tweak any INI files like both Bethsoft Fallout titles (which would skip like crazy unless you made some changes - which then meant dropping below 60 fps resulted in slow motion gameplay).

Salaadin

i5 750
Radeon HD6870
8GBs RAM

Am I cool? Im tryin to find a similar setup in this thread.

EDIT: I missed you

Garrus Vakarian said:
For what it's worth, I'm getting a pretty steady 60 with dips to the 50s with a 1GB 6870, X4 955 @ 3.2GHz and 4Gb RAM; All high 4x FXAA, 16x AF at 1080p (this is in a big open area for reference). Hopefully this will help some people who were wondering what performance they'd get on a similar system.

Not too far off from what I have.

It really does amaze me that people give a shit about install size. Economical use of space and compression is not a crime, nor does size scale directly with quality/size of game/assets/epeen.

Top Bottom