• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No more hardware NPD data for the public

Xisiqomelir

eclipze said:
He fudged not only NPD's numbers but also Famitsu's. For Europe I believe he polls a few stores in Kazakhstan and goes from there.

Please, spare us the sanctimony. Like your preferred site's method of straight-line extrapolation to shipping targets is so infinitely preferable. :lol

For all ioi's other numerous and varied faults, at least he has a userbase that doesn't threaten to plunge into the single digits at any given moment.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wait... haven't pretty much all of the news outlets written monthly stories on the results of the month's videgame hardware/software sales? I find it hard to imagine that they aren't going to cause a shit-storm for NPD for pulling the basis for these articles. How the fuck are they going to report on the industry now??! Before, it didn't matter so much... as thier wasn't a whole lot of interest untill Sony/Nintendo luanched hardware... but now its a pretty big deal in the financial news how this thing is playing out. Does NPD really wan't reporting on the "war" to go die down? How does that help them or the industry they support?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
FINALLY, you guys hate me now. Thank God, I was waiting for this retarded worship of me would end. GAF can't like anything for more than a few months; it'll eventually become popular, and since most GAFfers like to seem refined and sophisticated, aloof of such plebeian trends, they turn around and proclaim they hated such vulgarity and the unwashed masses who followed it, then sipping a fine boxed wine and placing upon their face the most expensive plastic monocle, gripping it painfully with their eyebrow and cheek before they drop it and stuff it away in their pocket to argue over videogames on the internet.

I wonder, if like most popular things that GAF has a bi-polar opinion on, I will eventually become the poster equivalent of a game that has gained a reputation of being unfairly shunned, and so will rise back to popularity among people thinking I'm the new "in" thing to follow. Or maybe I'll be like Drinky Crow or drohne, an old tired war veteran sitting on the farm, every now and then making posts addressing imaginary people and nonexistent arguments, having spontaneous flashbacks to the war: "NINTENDUMBS IN THE TREES! MONOROJO, GET DOWN, ARCHAIC TECHNOLOGY FROM 3 O'CLOCK! NO!" But he's been dead for years, and people only point and laugh at the funny old man spouting racial obscenities in a rocking chair.

And in those far off twilight days, I will pick up an old weathered key, and walk to a door that has long been shut, long since its threshold has been darkened by the shade of any human. In that shut room, the curtains drawn to keep out any sun, lay memories. All of NeoGAF's memories. I will open that door, and those memories will wash out over them all, and they will realize their follies, their stupidity. They will understand they were blind only when they first begin to see.

The GAFfers will rush to the boards, to see the marvel that has manifested itself there. They will cry, they will weep, they will gnash their teeth and rend their garments, and much wailing will be heard.

For on that day, on that majestic, beautiful, magnificent motherfucking bastard of a day, I will have taken those memories and painted a picture. They will find me, dead, nude, and soiled, in front of the painting, my life poured into the canvas. They will stare, their arms outstretched, hoping to touch this perfect incarnation of remembrance. They will slowly approach, and all at once, they will press their heads and palms against the painting, trying to absorb not only my life's story, but that of all of NeoGAF.

And they will realize their mistake. And they will scream, and cry, and tear out their hair, and their howls will be heard throughout the night and day.

For on that day...
I just tricked NeoGAF into touching a painting made of my own poo, lolololol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Grecco said:
It took you way to long to write that didnt it?
That took me like five minutes to write. I was bored.

Drinky Crow said:
well, anyway

Anyway what?

Say, who likes Team Fortress 2? I LOVE TF2. Been playing on the GAF server most of the last few weeks. Great fun, lots of awesome games.

Jonnyram

Xisiqomelir said:
For all ioi's other numerous and varied faults, at least he has a userbase that doesn't threaten to plunge into the single digits at any given moment.
That doesn't change the fact that:
a) he's stealing data and passing it off as his own work
b) he's making money out of it, and taking his users for a ride in the process

mugwhump

eclipze said:
He fudged not only NPD's numbers but also Famitsu's. For Europe I believe he polls a few stores in Kazakhstan and goes from there.
Why the hell would he fudge Famitsu #'s? Aren't they, like, freely available? :|

P.S. Drinky I can't wait for your SMG galaxy thread. <3 <3

Jonnyram said:
That doesn't change the fact that:
a) he's stealing data and passing it off as his own work
b) he's making money out of it, and taking his users for a ride in the process
Welcome to the internet?

I mean, I know you're honestly not thinking GAF is getting nothing for these ads at the top and bottom of each screen. And user contributions aren't rewarded with anything of substance.

99.9% of sites and people out there do this. Get used to the internet...

...And real life.

Hell, ioi does more contribution than most other people who do the same thing.

Terrell

The Abominable Snowman said:
Welcome to the internet?

I mean, I know you're honestly not thinking GAF is getting nothing for these ads at the top and bottom of each screen. And user contributions aren't rewarded with anything of substance.

...And real life.
Media Create says hi. Go check their page, dare ya to find a single ad. I DARE YOU.

I still don't get this. Yeah, I know NPD has to make money and all, but what the hell do people think Media Create is, a CHARITY?! If they're releasing chunks of data to the masses, for free and BETTER than NPD has ever done, what's their benefit?
It's pretty obvious someone didn't like being the laughingstock of the gaming industry and pissed and moaned til the numbers were pulled.
Pulling the numbers just makes this industry far too shady for its own good. While we as gamers enjoyed these numbers, they were also helpful to players of the stock market who wanted to invest their coin in the industry. Keeping these numbers under lock and key only makes people more hesitant to put their money into the industry, and part of what funds these stupendously awesome games is the people willing to pay for the privilege of owning a small part of the companies that make them so great.

Seriously, it's just the most massive clusterfuck imaginable, for more than just us. NPD needs to be smacked.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Welcome to the internet?

...And real life.

Small advertisements = asking money off of people so that you can lie to them.

Gotcha.

Welcome to the internet?

...And real life.

Except that making a profit via pirated/stolen data constitutes a breach of the law.

Honestly, I doubt even ioi is aware of the size of the hammer that will fall on him if they can pin him down on it.

Terrell

MaddenNFL64 said:
So, what does Media-Create do to make moolah anyway? Send detailed trends, and outlooks to investors?
Investors, the corporations whose game sales they track, media outlets who want the data to fact-check the data released in corporate press releases. For less money than NPD charges, too.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
FINALLY, you guys hate me now. Thank God, I was waiting for this retarded worship of me would end. GAF can't like anything for more than a few months; it'll eventually become popular, and since most GAFfers like to seem refined and sophisticated, aloof of such plebeian trends, they turn around and proclaim they hated such vulgarity and the unwashed masses who followed it, then sipping a fine boxed wine and placing upon their face the most expensive plastic monocle, gripping it painfully with their eyebrow and cheek before they drop it and stuff it away in their pocket to argue over videogames on the internet.

I wonder, if like most popular things that GAF has a bi-polar opinion on, I will eventually become the poster equivalent of a game that has gained a reputation of being unfairly shunned, and so will rise back to popularity among people thinking I'm the new "in" thing to follow. Or maybe I'll be like Drinky Crow or drohne, an old tired war veteran sitting on the farm, every now and then making posts addressing imaginary people and nonexistent arguments, having spontaneous flashbacks to the war: "NINTENDUMBS IN THE TREES! MONOROJO, GET DOWN, ARCHAIC TECHNOLOGY FROM 3 O'CLOCK! NO!" But he's been dead for years, and people only point and laugh at the funny old man spouting racial obscenities in a rocking chair.

And in those far off twilight days, I will pick up an old weathered key, and walk to a door that has long been shut, long since its threshold has been darkened by the shade of any human. In that shut room, the curtains drawn to keep out any sun, lay memories. All of NeoGAF's memories. I will open that door, and those memories will wash out over them all, and they will realize their follies, their stupidity. They will understand they were blind only when they first begin to see.

The GAFfers will rush to the boards, to see the marvel that has manifested itself there. They will cry, they will weep, they will gnash their teeth and rend their garments, and much wailing will be heard.

For on that day, on that majestic, beautiful, magnificent motherfucking bastard of a day, I will have taken those memories and painted a picture. They will find me, dead, nude, and soiled, in front of the painting, my life poured into the canvas. They will stare, their arms outstretched, hoping to touch this perfect incarnation of remembrance. They will slowly approach, and all at once, they will press their heads and palms against the painting, trying to absorb not only my life's story, but that of all of NeoGAF.

And they will realize their mistake. And they will scream, and cry, and tear out their hair, and their howls will be heard throughout the night and day.

For on that day...
hey crushed guess what. you're awesome again :D

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
sp0rsk said:
Sony finally takes it's ball and goes home.

Just thought I'd fix.

Also, does this mean we're not going to hear about the Wii ever again? I mean, if we can't talk about it's amazing hardware sales, what else is there?

For on that day...

Who the hell are you?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Terrell said:
Media Create says hi. Go check their page, dare ya to find a single ad. I DARE YOU.

I still don't get this. Yeah, I know NPD has to make money and all, but what the hell do people think Media Create is, a CHARITY?! If they're releasing chunks of data to the masses, for free and BETTER than NPD has ever done, what's their benefit?
It's pretty obvious someone didn't like being the laughingstock of the gaming industry and pissed and moaned til the numbers were pulled.
Pulling the numbers just makes this industry far too shady for its own good. While we as gamers enjoyed these numbers, they were also helpful to players of the stock market who wanted to invest their coin in the industry. Keeping these numbers under lock and key only makes people more hesitant to put their money into the industry, and part of what funds these stupendously awesome games is the people willing to pay for the privilege of owning a small part of the companies that make them so great.

Seriously, it's just the most massive clusterfuck imaginable, for more than just us. NPD needs to be smacked.
I'm telling you, if you could combie the NPD #s with a version of 'Hollywood Stock Exchange' for predicting videogame sales... you ought to very reliably predict a game company's future quarter results... giveing you quite an edge on trading those stocks.

eclipze

Xisiqomelir said:
Please, spare us the sanctimony. Like your preferred site's method of straight-line extrapolation to shipping targets is so infinitely preferable. :lol

I never once defended any sites numbers. I wasn't even there for the numbers, I was there because it was a nice little niche forum with members that were fun to debate with. The only time I ever got into sales-age on that site was when media-create and NPD numbers were released. The difference between me and you was that even though neither of us were there for the numbers, you were there for mocking everyone, and I was there for honest debate. :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
PhoenixDark said:
0097p8h6.jpg

Who the hell are you?

0097rfsk.jpg

I'm Batman.

Only the door will lead to an unfinished floor at the top of a construction site, and you'll plummet twelve stories to your death.

Btw, your prose in that little soliloquy was almost reaching J.K. Rowling levels. Props.

Rhindle

MrNyarlathotep said:
So GAF thinks this is all because of Sony Baaaaaaaawing about NA sales?
Yup.

They did try first to get NPD to see the wisdom of reporting sales of "Playstation Family" products, but that didn't work out.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Rhindle said:
Yup.

They did try first to get NPD to see the wisdom of reporting sales of "Playstation Family" products, but that didn't work out.

You serious?

Vagabundo

Or maybe I'll be like Drinky Crow or drohne, an old tired war veteran sitting on the farm, every now and then making posts addressing imaginary people and nonexistent arguments, having spontaneous flashbacks to the war: "NINTENDUMBS IN THE TREES! MONOROJO, GET DOWN, ARCHAIC TECHNOLOGY FROM 3 O'CLOCK! NO!" But he's been dead for years, and people only point and laugh at the funny old man spouting racial obscenities in a rocking chair.

If there was any justice in this world both posters mentioned above would get the tag, "NINTENDUMBS IN THE TREES! MONOROJO, GET DOWN, ARCHAIC TECHNOLOGY FROM 3 O'CLOCK! NO!"...

Terrell

MrNyarlathotep said:
So GAF thinks this is all because of Sony Baaaaaaaawing about NA sales?

:lol
Well, who's the only company who has anything to gain by hiding these numbers and would have enough pull with NPD to do this? People can say that 2 + 2 = (-75) all they like, but I prefer to think the most likely scenario is the truest one, and that just happens to be it.

Terrell said:
Well, who's the only company who has anything to gain by hiding these numbers and would have enough pull with NPD to do this? People can say that 2 + 2 = (-75) all they like, but I prefer to think the most likely scenario is the truest one, and that just happens to be it.

TINFOIL HATZ

Or, you know, maybe the perfectly reasonable reasons they gave about how they have historically never made hardware sales public, but did so for a year for public interest and have now decided to go back to their older policy where data is only available to those willing to pay for it.

Decision sucks, but its laughable to try and spin this into an anti-sony thing. Without an agenda it's laughable anyway. With it, hell, knock yourself out.

EDIT:
When you say "Who's the only company?", I don't think 360 sales are anything to particularly brag about given its trending below the original Xbox, and their embarassing turnaround on "first to 10 million wins", plus the obvious channel stuffing thats been going on where 'sold to retailers' figures were massively inflated over 'bought by consumers'.

Nintendo are the only company at the moment who would be more than happy to show sales figures on a monthly - hell, on a daily basis of the 'big 3'.

CTLance

driley said:
My goodness, how the rumors fly. It's interesting how a simple email with N'Gai turned into this PR nightmare, so let me clarify a few things:[...]
driley said:
gaf will continue to receive the top selling titles per platform, the Top 10, etc. Only hw is changing.

(bolded by me)
I was wondering when our very own NPD rep would show up and clarify some things. ;)

So, to sum it up:
We'll continue to get our usual software info, but from now on no hardware info at all. Furthermore, since no manufacturer(/NPD customer) may reference sales data of their competition we're pretty much stuck with the usual Nintendo and MS gloating, all the halftruths and lies in the PR releases of the big three, and/or pixel counting again. (Urgh)

Is that correct, or did I misunderstand anything?

If this is correct, could somebody please edit the thread title, modify the OP and maybe (one can hope) lock this thread? It's been derailed often enough as it is.

I'm thinking of "Crisis averted, NPD back to Neat Phriendly Dudes" or something. Go wild, I'm bad at that stuff.

santouras

Terrell said:
Pachter asked for them to be removed as it showed how poor his forecasting is compared to GAF

theguy

CTLance said:
(bolded by me)
I was wondering when our very own NPD rep would show up and clarify some things. ;)

So, to sum it up:
We'll continue to get our usual software info, but from now on no hardware info at all. Furthermore, since no manufacturer(/NPD customer) may reference sales data of their competition we're pretty much stuck with the usual Nintendo and MS gloating, all the halftruths and lies in the PR releases of the big three, and/or pixel counting again. (Urgh)

Is that correct, or did I misunderstand anything?

If this is correct, could somebody please edit the thread title, modify the OP and maybe (one can hope) lock this thread? It's been derailed often enough as it is.

I'm thinking of "Crisis averted, NPD back to Neat Phriendly Dudes" or something. Go wild, I'm bad at that stuff.

I like "Crisis averted, NPD back to Neat Phriendly Dudes."

Before we started releasing hw numbers, mfctrs. regularly released their numbers and NPD always verified them. I know it wasn't always on a monthly basis but the sales figures were still out there. I don't recall these half-truths and lies that people are referring to but that doesn't matter. We are a B2B and it's our responsibility to work with the clients that we represent, not against them. Again, I need to be clear that this isn't some new rule that we decided to apply. Media were made aware of this a year ago when we started providing these numbers as a courtesy so that interested reporters could see what was happening during the launch of the Big 3's new platforms. It's that simple.

It has nothing to do with anyone contacting and strong-arming us, it has nothing to do with others stealing the information or adjusting its numbers to match those of the industry (funny how folks so quick to ride the First Amendment bandwagon can dish it but not take it), it has nothing to do with planetary alignments, ... nothing!

On a completely different note, can someone explain the cat pics I always see posted on gaf?

tha_con said:
I don't think it's wrong. 90% of the people who participate in NPD threads on NEOGAF are looking for nothing more than a reason to laugh at one console owner, or proclaim theirs as the best.

It's fact, not fiction. Not one person on this forum is an investor, or has any reason to reall be remotely interested in sales. If sales were that big of an issue, the PS3 would have been dead long ago, but developers aren't stupid, and they will still support the console in some manner, simply because they do not want a monopoly in any way shape or form. Thinking that sales have a direct impact on 3rd party software not coming to a system at all is ridiculous.

The bigger reason for 3rd party software only hitting one system is the buy out of publishing rights and exclusive marketing deals. It has very little to do with sales, IMO.
You could not be more wrong.

Top Bottom