• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

amar212

FOR THE CURRENT LIST AND DETAILS ABOUT SUPPORTED WHEELS PER PLATFORM, PLEASE SEE THE POST BELOW, #2

MAJOR DEVELOPMENT: FANATEC WHEEL SUPPORT COMING TO PS4 and XboxONE - 23-03-15

MXRkliF.png

Thanks to Dzidza1978 for posting it here.

Andy Tudor, Creative Director of Project Cars tweeted:

GK0tLdH.png

https://twitter.com/realandytudor/status/579998596470337537

NeoGaf thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015792

THREAD SUMMARY

PS4
- PS4 currently officially supports only Thrustmaster T500RS from the current generation of wheels, also the new non-FFB model is announced
- It is highly probable PS4 will support all past and current Fanatec models (further details pending)
- There is still no clear answer about PS4 support for Logitech past-generation wheels (Logitech, other Thrustmaster models..) but at this point there is a small probability they will be supported, although not officially (yet to be confirmed)
- On 28th April 2014 DriveClub FB said how "other wheels will be supported too"

XboxONE
- XboxOne will not support any of the Xbox360 wheels, including any of the Fanatec, Logitech or Microsoft models
- XboxOne will have new FFB Xinput standard and new wheel models from Thrustmaster and MadCatz
- Fanatec has announced they are working on the new XboxOne wheel
- It is highly probable how XboxOne will support Fanatec CSW and CSWV2 bases (further details pending)

Below is the original OP text, written during 2014, she there was no info as we have today. Read it for the legacy and to get info about the situation prior to 2015 updates.

Both new console platforms are coming out in a few months, both with few driving games scheduled for very release and many driving games incoming in the future.

This thread will cover news and updates regarding wheel compatibility and new models that will certainly grant both platforms in the upcoming months and years. I will be updating the OP accordingly with new information.

I will first present the brief overview of the current situation regarding wheel compatibility for both platforms and then start with the wheels that are presented so far.

Great thanx to Three60 for assets and info-bits for this OP.

PS4 SITUATION:
At this point there is official word how PS4 will have compatibility with various prev-gen USB wheels - haptic USB generic devices in wheel category - if the developer developer of some particular driving game decides to make some wheel(s) comaptible.

From the official PS4 FAQ:

Will PS3 peripherals such as fighting sticks and steering wheels work with PS4?
Generally speaking, no. However, at launch, users will be able to use these controllers if a specific game title allows it to be used within the game. This decision is upon the game developer and will vary from game to game.

What PS3 devices can I use with PS4?
Refer to the chart below:

iwYS5vh51eH6F.png

ibfDAV8sJ2HBcX.png

This basically says that without PS4 licensing there will be no official support - unless the developer decides to do so.

We heard from DriveClub developers how DriveClub - as incoming PS4 game - will support the wheels "by all manufacturers that provide developer (platform holder) with their SDKs", but aside from that we have no true details.

UPDATE 28-04-2014:

auXcK9l.jpg

It seems like "other wheels support" - other than Thrustmaster - is comfirmed

Selected quotes from Rushy (Game Director, DriveClub - Evolution Studios):

- on PS4 wheel support:

We are actively liaising with all wheel manufacturers with the intent to support a wide range of wheels, as it is a great way to play the game, but the more consumer pressure on manufacturers the better as ultimately support does rely on them initially. So kudos to Thrustmaster.

We're aiming to support any wheel that supports the PS4.

- on SDK PS3-PS4 compatibility:

We had the PS3 SDK, which is of no use on the PS4.

At this point, only THRUSTMASTER has been officially licensed as PlayStation 4 hardware partner (it has been published yesterday) among companies that have their wheel devices (haptic FFB wheel controllers) working on PS3 console - but details are still to be revealed (AKA we do not know will PS3 peripherals - namely T500RS wheel - work with the PS4) UPDATE 01-10-2013: There has been first semi-official confirmation of T500RS compatibility for DriveClub:

The T500RS will work with PS4 and DRIVECLUB.
Rushy confirms here http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/268931-driveclub/page-23#entry9487355

LOGITECH has discontinued their console peripheral division in 2013 and there is no sign they will continue to produce new models of the wheels too. It has to be noted how Logitech was using Immersion Company's licensed force feedback SDK - TouchSense™ - that was both powering their haptic force feedback and communicated with either PS2/PS3 console via their SDK. It has to be seen how will that affect compatibility of their legacy models for PS4 (Formula GT, Driving Force GT, DFP, DFGT G25, G27, Wingman Formula...) because in order for that wheels to work both Sony and Logitech has to agree on support and I presume Immersion Co. should be payed some royalties as well (not sure about this because I do not know is the license for functionality based on platform or device).

Quote from Logitech (26-08-13):

FANATEC was using their own version of emulated Logitech's SDK to run their wheels on PS3 console in either G25/G27 mode (model dependable) and I guess situation with legacy Fanatec models (GT3V2, GT2, PWTS, CSR, CSRE, CSW) will solely depend on situation about Logitech compatibility (as described above). Of course, Fanatec could either try to develop their own PS4 SDK (would be the best solution, but I am not certain would legacy models support such SDK, probably could, but we do not know) or emulate some theoretical "supported" one (such as Thrustmasters's, but that is very unlikely from various reasons I do not want to go into now). Fanatec clarification about possible next-gen compatibility of current models (23-08-13) added below.

As obvious from the quote above, the fact that some SDK worked on the PS3 does not mean anything for the PS4 as a platform. So, at this point we have no real idea about actual PS4 support for wheel peripherals from the previous generation.

XBOX ONE SITUATION
Microsoft has officially announced how none of the Xbox360 peripherals will be compatible with Xbox One.

UPDATE 15-10-13: There will be no compatibility of any X360 wheel with the XboxOne console.

It has just been officially confirmed by XboxOne Community Representative Larry Herb (also known as Major Nelson) and Branden Powell, XboxOne Director of Strategic Alliances. You can find the confirmation in this video - it starts at 3:38: http://youtu.be/wT_CVUjQXjA

Previous silence on that matter (prior to October 15) have drastically upset all owners of Xbox360 compatible wheels, especially owners of pretty expensive Fanatec models that were only serious solution for playing driving simulations on Xbox360, primarily Forza Motorsport series of games.

Despite there were some hints from both Fanatec and MS-related unofficial channels how there *could* be some solution for making Fanatec wheels compatible with XboxOne, now there is still no hope. All Xbox360 compatible Fanatec models of wheels (and pedals and other peripherals) - PWTS, GT2, CSR and CSRE - remain incompatible with XboxOne and Forza Motorsport 5, as wheel as two other "mid-serious" models of wheels from the very beginning of the Xbox360 life, Microsoft Wireless Force Feedback steering wheel and Logitech Driving Force FX. Fanatec previous clarifications about possible next-gen compatibility of current models (23-08-13) added below, which are non-relevant after the October 15th official announcement about incompatibility.

At this point, there are two manufacturers that have obtained official license for XboxOne peripheral production, Thrustmaster and MadCatz. Both have presented their new XboxOne wheels at GamesCom 2013.

++++

Fanatec on next-gen consoles support (from newest to oldest)

18-11-13
XBox 360 Wheels on XBox One
So far there is no adapter solution to make an Xbox360 wheels compatible with Xbox One and it is unsure if this will be possible.
But there is a high chance that you can use your pedals, rims and shifters with a potential new Fanatec wheel for Xbox One although we cannot confirm a launch date yet. This will save you a lot of money and you can keep using the equipment you prefer.
https://www.facebook.com/Fanatec

12-09-13
I have a clear vision of what the ideal wheel looks like and how it should work with consoles.
The direction the platfrom (sic) holders are taking at the moment is concerning me and I wonder how consumer friendly their concepts really are.
It is better for us if we first watch carefully what is possible and how we can fully exploit the potential of the new platforms. This will pay off later and I will leave the current buzz to others

A few people are wondering why we are so quiet. We will not make the mistake again to mention new things too early. We will announce something new if production is about to start. We are working on several products for several platforms and every one of our new products will set a new benchmark as they did in the past.
We are also trying hard to protect the investment of our existing customers by making our current products upwards compatible. But we cannot confirm that before the final consoles are released.

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/10230

amar212

SUPPORTED WHEELS

PS4 SUPPORTED WHEELS

Thrustmaster: T500RS, T300RS**
Logitech: TBA
Fanatec: TBA

* There is Thrustmaster "T80" wheel announced for PS4, but is NOT A FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL - IT IS RUMBLE ONLY: itmeans it is not a proper force feedback wheel, but essentially a controller shaped as a wheel that emulates only rumble effects from ruble-feature

Thrustmaster T500RS
estimated price: 500€ approx
type: 1080-degree FFB wheel
official site

ibx9EyoCC8hvM2.jpg

Thrustmaster T300RS - official PlayStation 4 wheel
estimated price: 369€ approx
type: 1080-degree FFB wheel
official site

http://www.thrustmaster.com/press/t300-rs-first-official-force-feedback-wheel-playstation-4

++++

XBOX ONE SUPPORTED WHEELS

Thrustmaster: VG Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition
MadCatz: Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Fanatec: TBA

OBLIGATORY: Racing Accessories for XboxOne VIDEO

Above video explains the alleged new FFB standard through Xinput (XID) Microsoft is implementing in the XboxOne and showcases both currently announced wheels.

Thrustmaster VG Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition: Premium Official
estimated price: 399$

n2rchjK.jpg

Developed in close collaboration with Microsoft, this 7:10 scale replica of the emblematic Ferrari 458 Italia wheel is fully dedicated to Xbox One, including Binder ID and Xbox One Guide button
Designed for true racers, it features metal gas and brake pedals, and gear sequential paddle shifters
This new generation wheel will deliver unrivalled feelings in Forza Motorsport 5 and future racing games on Xbox one: Racing sensations at a level never seen before

unofficial link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENFVS5Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mad Catz Force Feedback Racing Wheel for Xbox One®
estimated price: 250$[/B
steering lock: 270-900 (switch)
additional features: adjustable pedals (tension, distance, height).

Designed to offer a highly authentic gaming experience, the genuine suede leather steering wheel houses a raft of technology, such as twin next generation Force Feedback motors and a luxury CNC anodized aluminum wheel face which can be removed from the wheel base should gamers wish to replace or upgrade in the future.

Ideal for use with software such as Forza Motorsport® 5, the Force Feedback Racing Wheel ships with a fully adjustable Pedal Set, allowing gamers to adjust the spring resistance, height and spacing on the gas and brake pedals.

http://madcatz.com/pressroom/mad-catz-force-feedback-racing-wheel-for-xbox-one/

Gowans

Its a complete joke that USB fightpads, fighting sticks and wheels are not compatible with the new Xbone. The whole Fanatec situation is horrific.

Sony have done the right thing by saying they should be we need to see some details.

I mean USB is USB no reason why we should have to re-buy bar locking us out to force new peripheral purchases.

GameSeeker

Nice work amar212!

Given that we have 3 launch racing games (Driveclub, Forza 5, NFS:Rivals), the wheel situation affects both existing and future wheel owners. It's nice to have updated info in one place.

Logitech has discontinued their console peripheral division in 2013 and there is no sign they will continue to produce new models of the wheels too. It has to be noted how Logitech was using Immersion Company's licensed force feedback SDK - TouchSense™ - that was both powering their haptic force feedback and communicated with either PS2/PS3 console via their SDK. It has to be seen how will that affect compatibility of their legacy models for PS4 (Formula GT, Driving Force GT, DFP, DFGT G25, G27, Wingman Formula...) because in order for that wheels to work both Sony and Logitech has to agree on support and I presume Immersion Co. should be payed some royalites as well (not sure about this because I do not know is the license for fuctionality based on platform or device).

This sucks, Logitech made great accessories, no potential G29 wheel and G25/27 support for PS4 is uncertain. :(

LAMBO

I thought they said the ps3 wheels would work with ps4?

http://www.simdriving.net/news/all-ps3-compatible-wheels-to-work-on-ps4

All PS3 compatible wheels to work on PS4

Posted on 19/06/2013

Col Rodgers, Game Director on upcoming PS4 racing game DriveClub, has confirmed all current commercial racing wheels compatible with PlayStation 3 will also be fully compatible with PlayStation 4.

Doubts about compatibility started to arise a month ago when Microsoft announced their new XBOX One isn’t going to be compatible with any XBOX360 accessories, including their own Microsoft Wheel or current wheels from companies like Fanatec and MadCatz.

Fortunately racing wheel owners interested in PS4 have nothing to worry about.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft's approach has been so fucked up. Hopefully Sony does a better job.

I just assumed nothing would work into the next generation, so I didn't bother getting a wheel this gen. But man, that Mad Catz wheel looks stellar! I suppose if I jumped in right at the very start of this generation I'd at least get 6-8 years out of the wheel....tempting.

This sucks, Logitech made great accessories, no potential G29 wheel and G25/27 support for PS4 is uncertain. :(

Losing Logitech is the biggest blow to racing wheel fans on consoles. They always put out high end wheels at very reasonable prices. I guess Polyphony will end up going to Thrustmaster or Fanatec whenever they start building a PS4 wheel.

nataku

I was really hoping to use my DFGT on my PS4 for Driveclub. Hmm.

If it doesn't work I guess I'll just go without a wheel until the first GT is released for PS4 and see what's out then... sigh.

Losing Logitech is the biggest blow to racing wheel fans on consoles. They always put out high end wheels at very reasonable prices. I guess Polyphony will end up going to Thrustmaster or Fanatec whenever they start building a PS4 wheel.

Yep. I really thought I was fairly done with buying wheels. I'm glad I never got around to investing in a G27 now though because I would have done it on the basis of investing into the future.

Three60

Thx Amar :)

On topic, so theoreticly its up to Logi/Fanatec/TH to update their "wheel drivers" to make them PS4 compatible? I know its probably not that easy as simple update but they better do it, ill be piss if my G27 wont work on next gen...

Off topic, is TH t500 (still) official GT6 wheel?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Wow@MS not having the Fanatec wheels compatible with Xbox One, especially after all their talk about having such a great wheel and Turn 10 proud to have support. This would definitely put me off getting a Xbone if I had one of those wheels.

Branson

Subscribed. Thanks for this info. Hopefully this shit gets sorted out because playing a racing game without a wheel is terrible once you've had a taste of a proper way to play them. Horrible on all of the company's involved.

Polyphony

If my G27 isn't supported on both next-gen consoles (used to be able to emulate it as a controller on 360 with a peripheral, though it was less than optimal...) then I'll be sticking to my PC sims for the time being. But I'm optimistic about this for the PS4.

patchday

Damn I own a T500RS and Fanatec CSR-Elite. Since Microsoft wont support my fanatec wheel I will not be getting an Xbox 1. I'm pretty sure PS4 will support my wheels though. Although it concerns me we do not know concrete details at this late juncture.

Anyway I think I'll be continuing to do my serious racing on the PC like I have been. There is GT6 on the horizon though which I am super looking forward to

patchday

Hold up for a second- that article from Microsoft doesn't clearly state the Fanatec wheels won't work. I seem to recall there's some quotes from Thomas (Fanatec) that they are looking into making their wheels work with the Xbox 1. I got the impression he was even willing to look into providing upgrade kits for existing wheels, etc. But this is making wild assumptions on my part

I spent some good money to get a wheel for Forza 4 and after all that trouble I barely played it. Must've clocked less than 5 hours or something which is pretty horrible considering the massive amount of time I spent in iRacing & GT5. So that's the main reason I was gonna pass on Xbox 1 in any case. Forza 5 looks awesome but I just can't get into the series atm

Just to confirm, the Thrustmaster 458 Italia that works with the Xbox One is an updated/new model? So the old one won't work? My hopes were raised and dashed there.

patchday

All PS3 compatible wheels to work on PS4

Posted on 19/06/2013

Col Rodgers, Game Director on upcoming PS4 racing game DriveClub, has confirmed all current commercial racing wheels compatible with PlayStation 3 will also be fully compatible with PlayStation 4.

Doubts about compatibility started to arise a month ago when Microsoft announced their new XBOX One isn’t going to be compatible with any XBOX360 accessories, including their own Microsoft Wheel or current wheels from companies like Fanatec and MadCatz.

Yeah I'd be really shocked if PS4 would drop support for their existing wheels. Just one more reason I preordered the PS4 instead of the xbox 1

Bgamer90

Banned
Just to let you guys know, I got a reply from Madcatz twitter basically implying that the wheel will be no more than $250. We'll see what happens though.

amar212

There is some misinterpretation and jump-conclusioning involved very likely.

This is from 21/06

"@AddnanC We're going to try and support as many wheels as we can that are compatible with the PS4."

Notice the end of the conversation - mind you, Fanatec CSRE uses Logitech's G25 drivers when in PS3 mode:

Also, the same has been said in the interview for Sixaxis:

"In a behind closed doors session with TheSixthAxis last week, Evolution’s Col Rodgers confirmed that the game will support every wheel that works with the PS4."

Thx Amar :)

On topic, so theoreticly its up to Logi/Fanatec/TH to update their "wheel drivers" to make them PS4 compatible? I know its probably not that easy as simple update but they better do it, ill be piss if my G27 wont work on next gen...

Off topic, is TH t500 (still) official GT6 wheel?

I see potential problems with the "Logitech" update because Logitech ended their console support - so it is probably up to their good will to evenutally give license to use their SDK on PS4. And that directly mirrors on Fanatec's PS4 compatibilitty, since Fanatec is emulating Logitech's SDK. And on top of everything, there is all-around situation with actual haptic-FFB licesing, which is owned by Imerssion Co. and I do not have information regarding does such licenses simply transforms over "generations of hardware" since actual platform (console) have to have license to use their TouchSense SDK (which is basically "powering" force feedback in Logitech models).

I do not know will T500RS remain "official" GT6 wheel, still no info about it. However, it is 100% certain it will support it.

Just to confirm, the Thrustmaster 458 Italia that works with the Xbox One is an updated/new model? So the old one won't work?.

Yes, it is completely new model and only current Thrustmaster model that is Xbox One compatible.

Just to let you guys know, I got a reply from Madcatz twitter basically implying that the wheel will be no more than $250. We'll see what happens though.

Thank you for this, will update the OP with prices for all wheels.

Three60

Saladine posted this in Forza gamescom thread but it should also be here >

Fanatec on next gen consoles

A few people are wondering why we are so quiet.
We will not make the mistake again to mention new things too early. We
will announce something new if production is about to start. We are
working on several products for several platforms and every one of our
new products will set a new benchmark as they did in the past.
We
are also trying hard to protect the investment of our existing customers
by making our current products upwards compatible. But we cannot
confirm that before the final consoles are released.

Thomas

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/10230

Ted

Excellent collation of what is known so far. Thanks Amar.

I'd really love Logitech/Immersion to pull something out of the bag as I have two DFGTs and a G25 that I really don't want to have to replace in the longer term when we see GTx on the PS4.

Subscribed.

GHG

I'm thinking of selling my G27 at the moment... possibly a good time to sell before they announce that it wont be supported right?

Vormund

Hope my Fanatec 911 Turbo wheel works on PS4.

At least they'll try, unlike MS who just doesn't seem to give a shit.

Hope my Fanatec 911 Turbo wheel works on PS4.

At least they'll try, unlike MS who just doesn't seem to give a shit.

If the above quote is correct then all current PS3 compatible wheels will also work with the PS4. I know they said DC's director mentioned that during a behind closed doors sessions for the game, but we should probably wait until they make an official public statement about that as well. But we know that they're seriously pushing to make sure that they're all supported.

Right now the only person I trust with valid information is Thomas since they will need to update the drivers it seems. Anybody else is just speculating IMO.

Unfortunately, we're barely 2 months away from launch and he is quiet.

\/\/\/\/ Plus, no clutch. That's a huge downgrade IMO.

Three60

LCfiner

If it turns out that my fanatec turbo model is not compatible with PS4, I think I'll just sell it and get out fo the wheel club altogether. Not gonna spend another $500 or up for a wheel and not know if it'll be forward compatible again. fool me once...

crossing my fingers that it can be used. the uncertainty surrounding this whole situation is awful, imo.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
My G27 better work..... Almost cost as much as a PS4 :/

Time to hit Yoshida up on Twitter I think....

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Thanks for the thread, I was about to make one myself.

I and many others have payed a fortune for a Logitech G27 (with mount), and it is ridiculous that this popular and expensive wheel might turn out to be virtually useless on next gen consoles. I certainly didn't buy this wheel for GT5 alone…

It's ridiculous that steering wheels apparently still aren't supported basis on not on an OS level but on a game-by-game basis. Getting real G25/G27 support in GT5 took almost a year. If the worst case really turns out to be true, I am not sure if I am going to trust other manufacturers… The costs of a good steering wheel are just to big with that much uncertainty over actual game support.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wouldn't expect Logitech to spend effort on drivers for free, especially if they aren't selling anymore.

But this would be a perfect situation for Sony to offer up some cash + assistance to get drivers written for the main family (DFGT/G25/G27). They'd get a lot of goodwill from those with wheels for relatively little money. Might even bring a few Xbox fans over in the process.

Top Bottom