• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

((Are we okay with keeping the party loot intact until we get to a moneychanger, and afterward, split it 40 GP per person and leave the 20 remaining in a general-purpose fund?))

After approximately a minute of lying helpless on the ground, finally Keranos's senses come back to him.

A grin stretches across his face.

"I'm very sorry about that," he says toward Galen and Fhiess, standing up and dusting off his armor. "It seems that my powers are returning rather faster than expected."

In his estimation, Fhiess appears to be the worse off of the two ((I think he has been damaged previously while this is the first time for Galen?)), so Keranos comes to his aid. "Here we are. Let's see about undoing some of that damage, shall we?"

((Using my last spell slot to drop a Cure Wounds on Fhiess. He gains back 10 HP.

Mike M, when during the night did this attack happen? Have we already burned through our daily allotted Long Rest? Because if so, Thosar might want to conserve his spells. I can get my spells back by doing a Short Rest, so I might be the better choice to heal people today))

Mike M

Nick N
((This happened during the last watch a couple hours before dawn, so it occurred after the long rest. The d6 is a harsh mistress.))

Galen lies on the ground, unmoving, his sword and bow scattered some distance from his form.

At first, the blast had left his breath uneasy, but it quickly calmed. His sight, on the other hand, eludes him. Nonetheless, Galen finds that his ability to hear remains, and, hearing sounds of the aftermath of their skirmish, he lies where he landed and listens.

((So, out of curiosity, what does Galen know about Yeenoghu or the Fangs of said being? I assume not much, if anything.))

After the battle finishes with a bang, Thosar's eyes adjust and he sees Keranos, Galen, Fheiss, and the Gnoll lying prostrate. He quickly examines his allies to ensure they are alive and able to recover while Barrow executes the remaining Gnoll. He is less skilled in the art of healing but is willing to help where he can, having been one of the few who escaped battle unscathed. He notes the severe wounds sported by Ludwig. "I think it's best if we took some time to recover. That was a tough battle, more so than you'd expect from a few gnolls."

During the search of the bodies, he ponders the curiosity brought up by Barrow and silently consults his god before responding. "Indeed, it is odd that three Demons would be here in one place, and rather concerning. Hopefully this isn't a portent of things to come.... This mark on their armor is interesting." He mentions, examining the red handprint on the crude armor left behind.
((Using Guidance to help with knowledge checks.))
History roll for symbol w/ guidance: 1D20+1D4+7 = [7]+[2]+7 = 16
Roll for yeenoghu knowledge: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 + 1D4 = [1] = 15
1D4 = [1] = 1

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeah, for an 11, this is probably the first time Galen's heard of Yeenoghu.))

Religion checks:
DC 15:
Yeenoghu is a ruler of demons of relatively high status associated with hunting and the eating of the dead.

DC 20:
Yeenoghu doesn't have many dealings with the material realm, but allegedly created the first gnolls from mundane hyenas. They worship him fervently, and occasionally those who accomplish particularly noteworthy acts of atrocity are elevated above common gnolls. All of which Barrow knows, but you can look smug and tell him you already knew all that if he ends up explaining it.

DC 25:
Part of a Fang's malfeasant blessing is the ability to create gnolls from normal hyenas. A single Fang can cause a massive gnoll problem if their is a sufficient population of their simpler cousins.

After the the adrenaline of battle wears off, Thosar recalls the dream he had before being rudely awakened.

A faint shimmer of gossamer weave flows through his vision, a starlit sky beyond. There is no sound or smell here, only light and dark. He looks down and notices the world he has left behind, a shrinking sphere of blue, green, and white glowing in a indigo sea. All around him, light and dark interplay and mix to form shadowy shapes resembling what he left behind. Huddles masses lying on the ground to keep warm, a great tower bearing down on the city, battles raging on ancient fields.

Eventually, he begins to see things he has not yet witnessed. Heroic deeds and epic failures blur together in a near indecipherable mess of warping lines. He begins to see something definite on the edge of his vision, some certain goal or achievement that is within reach... Then he wakes up.

MikeM: http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138433
Dream or nightmare?: 1D20 = [20] = 20
1D20 = [3] = 3

Galen, hearing Thosar’s concerns, lifts himself to a seated position with a grimace. “What do you mean ‘demons’?” he asks. His head faces the elf, or at least his approximate location.

((I’ve been wondering something about the wagon. How many feet of movement would it take to get in from the side, and could one substitute an athletics or acrobatics check to jump or vault in as a free object action instead?))

Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=138440]Knowledge Religion: 1D20 - 1 = [16]-1 = 15
[/url]
The battle concluded, Ludwig uses the tiny bit of healing energy left in him to ineffectively treat his wounds after making sure everyone else is ok. He goes to look over the dead gnolls, only to find that the powerful ones have basically disintegrated. As for the other ones, they have that same mark as the goblins, making him think that someone is running around making creatures feral.

With a wince as he half walks, half limps back over to the cart, he says "Yeah, those gnolls weren't normal gnolls for sure. It took most of what I've got to survive against those. If more came out, that would be bad news."

In general, Ludwig didn't pay close attention during the general religion covering lessons in his paladin training. He figured the free market would cover that through priests and scholars who chose to specialize in the subject. However, the name Yeenoghu sounds oddly familiar when Barrow mentions it, interrupting his thoughts on the familiar markings on the more mundane gnolls.

"Thosar, we saw these same marks on hobgoblins before. I think someone could be- wait, did you say Yeenoghu? Isn't he a corpse-eating archdemon or something? What are gnolls in his name doing out here?"

"Oh dear, that *is* concerning. Gnolls and hobgblins fighting under one banner? And demonic ones no less... " a chill runs down his spine as he considers the implications.

Keranos makes a literal hand waving motion. "Gnolls and hobgoblins are of no great concern. They will stand against us, and they will be crushed in our wake." He gestures at one of the unnaturally rotted corpses. "Not even this so-called archdemon could save them from my - our - wrath. And we are none the worse for wear. In less than a half day's time, we will be fully restored. Buck up, friends - this is a time to bask in our glorious victory! Nyx, by chance do you have any more of that delicious wine from the other day?"

Mike M

Nick N
((I’ve been wondering something about the wagon. How many feet of movement would it take to get in from the side, and could one substitute an athletics or acrobatics check to jump or vault in as a free object action instead?))
((Getting in would be standard climbing rules where it would cost you an additional 5ft of move speed, but getting out would be free. You could substitute an Athletics check to save the 5ft if you wanted.))

((Apparently I get free wifi on this plane. Sweet! Is there a mile high D&D club?))
"Easy there, we aren't all gods like yourself. This was a victory, true, but Ludwig was nearly killed and remains badly injured. It took no small effort to dispatch these ones. If there are more out there, we may not be so lucky as to meet them while at full strength. We should be cautious and perhaps look into the matter further. It would not do to save the world from a dimensional invasion only to have it fall to some demonic army."

Thosar frowns a bit. "That was poor timing as well, I was so close to getting a vision that could help us. At this point I only have whispers of the Truth. At any rate, I will remind everyone that we do have some methods of healing that are more expedient, should we need them. Perhaps it'd be best if everyone had one on them, just in case..." He points to the interior patches on his robe that look like small red vials. "These turn into potions of healing, a handy thing to have one in battle just in case a healer is not nearby. Any takers?"

The Elf yells painfully when fangs sink into his shoulder. He attempts to pull it away but it only tears at him more. Desperate for a solution, Fhiess takes his sword and attempts to stab-

XsxaPeCm.jpg

Fortunately, he was only knocked unconscious for a moment, and healed quickly; but still feeling pain in his shoulder, he almost casts his healing spell on himself to ease the aching, but suddenly reconsiders, "Ah, Ludwig! Is he okay? He was nearly killed moments earlier."

"An hour or so with a healer's kit should restore him to health enough. Looks like you could use some attention yourself. Keranos and Galen as well." Thosar motions toward the fire. "Once we've got all we can from them, we should seek to recover as best we can. I think it'd be prudent to push through to Kingsword if possible." He roots in his pack and finds a satchel filled with bandages, ointments, and other healing supplies. "Now, who's first?"

((Song of rest ftw.
I'd be fine having a party pot for expenses.))

<I forget I have Song of Rest, I haven't had to use it yet. Everybody will heal 6 hit points during a short rest. Fhiess can't sing so here's a hogan story instead>

Fhiess chuckles, suddenly bursting into a tangent of thought, "This kind of reminds me of a story Hogan told us one time, where he was still an apprentice shopkeeper and he was working at a grocer. They were receiving a shipment of tomatoes, but a delay happened- I forget what he said it was, perhaps guards making an arrest, but Hogan had the idea of bringing the cart through an alternate route through the town. Of course, he didn't consider it being uphill. They tried their best to push the wagon up the incline, only for it to capsize on its side. Apparently the tomatoes all rolled down into a nearby river, and stories of a blood red river spread that day! Now that I think about it that... doesn't have much to do with what just happened, does it?"

((Okay. So it’s not too tall, than.

If I understand correctly, one must spend hit die to benefit from Song of Rest, though, as Ludwig is rather injured, I figure that is likely not an issue for him. Galen may forgo it, though, and conserve the healer’s kit.

I, too, am not against a party fund.))

Galen rises to his feet, his vision now a dull haze with little color. He can still feel the impact of the blast, a blunt feeling of pain coursing through his body, but he makes his way to the wagon, reseating himself with his back against it. As he walks over, though, he places his hand in the pouch at his side and rummages around, as though looking for something in particular. When he stops, a look of relief is on his face.

“Yes, it may be best we get moving once we are recovered. I would suggest tending to our most valiant hero, Ludwig, without whom we certainly would have perished.”

((I'm cool with a party fund too. I just hope a giraffe-shaped set of plate armor shows up in the wilds some day, as buying one will be exorbitantly expensive.

And yeah, Ludwig's at 15/36 right now, so I'm probably about to use three or four of my hit dice on the short rest to get his health back up.))

Hearing Fheiss, Ludwig waves around a front hoof. "I'm not on death's door anymore. A bit roughed up, but the danger has passed."

Ludwig beams at Thosar's words, and say "You guys saved my hide too. If it wasn't for you all acting quickly, I'd be gnoll food right now." With a laugh, he adds "On that note, next time I want to trample a group of enemies and we don't know what we're up against, remind me of two minutes ago."

Ludwig lays down and listens to Fheiss's story, smiling along and taking it as a wonderful little allegory for the tendency of government actions to produce unforseen consequences. As they rest, his body responds incredibly well to the healing magic and medical kit. By the time the hour is concluded, the paladin looks as if he was never attacked by gnolls at all.

((Nice! Exactly enough to put Ludwig back at full health. IF YOU ROLLED FOR IT!!!))

((Actually, you get full hp value out of any healing during a rest per campaign notes, so 1-2 HD would be enough including fheiss's story.))

Keranos bristles when Galen singles out Ludwig as the hero of the battle. He strongly considers pointing out how he singlehandedly defeated the Pack Lord, but ultimately decides that it might be bad form, since the paladin was still rather seriously injured.

Instead, he calls upon his inner reserves of healing power to rejuvenate his own battered body.

((First d8: [6] + 1 con + 6 Song = 13

Second d8: [1] + 1 = 2

I will stop there.

After everyone uses hit dice and/or potions to regain HP, let me know how much you're still down, and then I should be able to top most of us off in increments of +10 or +18.

Edit: if ALL out of combat healing is maxed, that changes things. I originally took that to mean spells and potions only, but I guess we will find out soon))

<The way I interpret the song of rest text it doesn't seem to affect myself, only my allies, so I will go ahead and spend 1d8 worth of hit die to recover the remaining HP for myself.>

Mike M

Nick N
((HD used to recover HP fall under the outside of combat ruling and are maxed, but remember each one costs a use of the Healer's Kit, so it's not an unlimited resource. I think only Thosar has one kit, off the top of my head?

EDIT: Song of Rest says "If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance," so it works for the bard too.))

((Doh, between that and the full recovery I've managed to miss a good chunk of the campaign specific rules. I can cut a HD if charges need to be reserved. Otherwise we might want to pick up another kit when we hit civilization.

EDIT: well that knocks it down to 1 HD then.))

((The healer kit is less crucial than spells at this point. Using a charge or 2 after a fight like this seems prudent, especially if we might see more.
Agreed about getting more healing kits. I think it'd be good having everyone carry one.)

((I could throw in some healing spells, but it looks unneeded right now, so w/e.))

Nyx returns to her gnomish form and Zook appears from his hiding spot to join her. "Some of them appeared to be breathing some kind of black smoke. I'll have to try to keep an eye out for that in the future, though it only seemed to appear once they had been injured."

((Weird - the Myth Weavers sheet says an Adventure's Pack has a healer's kit in it, but I can't actually find any evidence of that in Google searches.

Instead, after the short rest I will use a Level 2 heal on myself to heal 18 HP. I will also use a Level 1 heal on anyone who is short of full))

((Just spending a hit die restores Galen to full, so he’ll be good.

The closest I can find to an Adventurer’s Pack seems to be the Explorer’s Pack.The only difference between the two I see is that the Explorer’s Pack has a bedroll as opposed to a healer’s kit.))

Galen, after resting against the wagon a short while, pulls himself to his feet. The pain has numbed some, and his vision is clear.

He walks over slowly to collect his dropped equipment before sitting down next to Ludwig.
“Okay, so I’m hearing all kinds of madness about hobgoblins and flesh-eating archdemons and their minions. Could you fill me in?”

"Huh, that could have been a sign that there was demony stuff in them. Sounds like a good idea to keep an eye out for it Nyx."

While having his wounds treated, Ludwig tries to fill on Galen on what he missed prior to showing up. "Sure. On the way to the capital, we were attacked by a group of hobgoblins. They had the same handprint markings as these gnolls, and come to think of it, they were acting feral and rabid too. No demonic hobgoblins though. As for Yeenoghu, he's a powerful demon associated with hunting and eating corpses. I have no idea what gnolls with his dark blessing are doing around here with those marked gnolls, but it seems like it's not good. That's about all I've got on the big demon, maybe someone here knows more about him than that."

“That’s… interesting,” Galen responds. “If this Yeenoghu is associated with hunting, and this has happened twice in a short period of time, it may be well worth considering the possibility that we may be some powerful being’s prey.” Galen stops for a moment, as if in thought.

“And if by some chance this mark and Yeenoghu are directly related…”

((It appears this knowledge roll has been lost in the excitement:))

((I think so. It got kind of ambiguous there as to whether spells or the healing kit was used, but looking through the past few posts, I think Ludwig used two of the healing kit charges.))

((Galen is using one hit die to bring himself to full.

He is also adding a quick insight check on the gnoll armor, just because I am curious as to what happens if he does.

Beyond that, he should be good to go, current discussion notwithstanding.

I’ll ask before we get to somewhere it would be useful information, but how possible is it to find some good, sturdy rope? Like “tie down an elephant” sturdy or something? It’s not really for elephants.))

<Already got myself healed.>

Fhiess takes on a concerned demeanor, "Does that mean that we'll always be found by.. whatever we should call these monsters tainted by this Yeenohgu and the men that associate with him?" He suddenly seems unsure if what he asks is grounded in enough information, "I mean, the attackers that stole his majesty could be associated with a Yeenohgu, right?"

“That is possible, yes. They could act in association with each other.”

Galen gives a little smile as he looks at Fhiess, though it is hard for it to be reassuring given the words he speaks. “Whether or not they can always find us, though, it is too early to be certain, just as we cannot be sure they are actively looking for us. Nonetheless, we should keep our eyes open.”

Fhiess frowns, "But they may have eyes all over.. I'm sure I could find a branch of Hogan's exports in or next city if I wanted, what if our enemies have grown commonplace too? And the hobgoblins, they managed to ambush us under ranger watch. It's just... the last time we were truly safe was before leaving Remdormo."

As he listens to Fhiess and Galen discuss the possibility of further attacks, Keranos becomes even more emboldened.

"If they attack again, then we will crush them again. We will be vigilant, but there is no use in worrying. Let us press on with our journey."

((I will operate on the hope that we are going to go 2 straight hours without another combat, so I am fully healed with all my spell slots. If we get attacked after the first short rest then I'll be fully healed with some spells missing. Either way I'm set))

Mike M

Nick N
((Song of Fire, in answer to your question re: rope, that’s something you’d be able to find in pretty much any settlement large enough to do commercial trade. It’d be the kind of rope used in heavy-duty block and tackle assemblies, i.e. lifting cargo on and off a ship.))

As the Endowed utilize the healing kits they possess to patch up what wounds and injuries they sustained in the battle with the gnolls, the eastern horizon first turns gray, then pinks and oranges as the dawn sun crests the horizon. There seems little point in attempting to get anymore rest, so camp is struck and the wagon is packed by the time the sun is visible in the sky.

Barrow distributes the bounty of the magical haversack among everyone; the thing seems to favor producing glossy apples and wheels of hard cheese, though this morning there are a couple warm loaves of bread in addition to the usual fare. Once again the forest falls away from the curvature of the road, which follows alongside the bank of a river. There’s plenty of open space between the wagon and any possible cover that ambushers might use, and the rushing waters to their right would go far in discouraging an assault from that direction. The light of the sun has diminished the horrors of the night, and already the encounters with the gnolls begins to feel remote and distant.

Indeed, it is a lovely day if not for the writhing streams of violet light reaching toward the horizons.

After perhaps a dozen miles of travel, the stone edifice of Kingsword appears, its white banners fluttering gamely in the wind. Like Kingshield and Kingsgate before it, it shares the same construction, but it sits astride a far larger intersection of trade and travel routes. The river they’ve been following has a branch here that flows to the south through the woods that the Endowed have circumnavigating over the past week and a half, and a road follows alongside like a dog might its master. More or less straight ahead from their current position is the road that leads to the northwest, toward Bellows. Another road heads southwest, which Barrow explains would eventually meet up with the main thoroughfare directly between Bellows and Remdormo.

Even at a distance, it’s clear that the fortress is abuzz with activity. Figures no more discernable than black specks swarm around its base and ramparts like ants on a cube of sugar. As the wagon draws near, it becomes apparent that most of these people are civilians. Most of the able-bodied men and some of the women appear to be volunteering in assisting with the fort’s various functions, and there are a fairly large number of wagons and anxious looking people who can’t keep their eyes off the western sky. Even if they haven’t personally witnessed the disaster that has been visited upon Castle Telmur, they’ve certainly heard about it.

Codex updates:

During the journey, Thosar mends any tears in clothing or rent armor to pass time. His face lights up when the fort comes into view.

"Back to civilization, such as it is. I'll be happy to have some walls about us tonight at least. Don't see many soldiers though, looks like the swords left their fortress lightly defended..." Thosar pauses at a realization and strokes his chin. "The senior staff need to know about the hobgoblin threat, hopefully we can reach their ear so they can look into stamping out the threat. If this new unholy alliance makes its attack now, the forts may be lost."

Mike M

Nick N
((I wasn't clear, but there are still rangers and soldiers, but far fewer than what you saw at the other two forts, even accounting for the force that arrived in the aftermath))

The downtime spent travelling in the wagon is spent staring at the boxed brush given to him. Suddenly the strange incident involving its allegedly haunted state seem irrelevant in light of greater threats of even stranger power. Still, the sight of the box upsets him now, "...this gift was supposed to bring luck," he muses quietly. The king's fate, the destruction of an entire city, and the constant attacks have been anything but fortune so far. He rubs an eye and blinks a couple of times, "If I didn't know better, this brush is cursed. If I didn't have a promise to keep, I would throw it out."

They later arrive at a checkpoint. Despite the thinned numbers patrolling the defense perimeter, the sight of extra company brings a bit of relief, "At least if we are attacked, we won't be alone this time."

He glances to the sky. The glowing energy catches his eye. He points, "Look at that! It's pretty, but it doesn't look good. What do you think is happening from that far?"

As Fheiss muses over the brush, Thosar chimes in. "Maybe its the other way around. While we were surrounded by calamity and attacked by demons, we survived it no worse for the wear. Meanwhile, thousands are suffering due to the same events. Maybe it's lucky after all." He gives the brush an appraising eye, having a predilection for magic. "Where in Boccob's name did this come from?"
Arcana roll, something about that brush: 1D20+1D4+7 = [15]+[3]+7 = 25

"As for the aurorae, I'd say they're some sort of ley line connecting the tower to other points, perhaps other places of power. At this point it's hard to say without further research."

"Oh, I guess you weren't around to see."

Right now the brush is left inside a gift box wrapped in ribbon, "It was a gift for luck, a brush owned by a famous master from long ago. But it, ah.. it might've been the food I ate that night, but I thought I saw it acting funny."

He slides over a ribbon and cracks open the box slightly so that Thosar can glance in the box.

Mike M

Nick N
The brush sits on the crushed velvet interior of the box. As before, it remains a brush of both notable antiquity and craftsmanship. Thosar would have heard of Nolzur in much the same manner most everyone else has heard of Telmur's most famed and esteemed artist, but he is not typically a figure of interest for students of magical arts. There's nothing magical associated with the artist that Thosar knows of with his comparatively deep knowledge of arcane subjects, and to all outward appearances and physical inspection, it is just a mundane brush.

Top Bottom