• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers with limited time: how are you managing the year 2017?

GamerJM

Banned
I have limited time during some times of the year and basically all the time in the world during other times of the year. So far I haven't really played anything this year other than a bunch of Melee, a couple games that came out before this year, and a little of BotW, but once school gets out I'll have two weeks free and I'm going to try to marathon through as much of World of Final Fantasy and Breath of the Wild as I can.

Once that happens it'll be the first week of school and I'll hopefully have free time if my mental health doesn't fuck up since there won't be much work assigned, so I'll play Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Then once Persona 5 comes out I'll slowly spend the entire quarter playing that, if I have time to do that. If not I'll save it for the Summer and put one of the Summer games I'm going to list in the backlog.

Then over the Summer I'll play Nier Automata, 7th Dragon 3, Dragon Quest VIII, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD, and Pikmin 3DS when that comes out. I'll also take breaks with Puyo Puyo Tetris, Arms, and Splatoon 2 MP.

In the Fall I'll hopefully have more time to play games, so I'll play through Splatoon 2 SP, DanganRonpa V3, Pokemon Stars if that gets announced, and Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia. Splatoon 2 will probably just be something I can playthrough in a day and not even spend my whole day doing that, DRV3 will probably be something I'll power through in a weekend, Pokemon will be a slow burn over the quarter, and Fire Emblem is just something that I'll do if I have time after that. Over Thanksgiving Break I'll play Super Mario Odyssey, and then over Winter Break I'll play Resident Evil 7, Sonic Forces, Crash N-Sane Trilogy, and Digimon: Cyber Sleuth.

Everything else, like Xenoblade 2/Dragon Quest XI (if they come out this year), Yakuza 0, Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I'll play at a later date.

This is all tentative but this is my plan LOL. I used to make really strict schedule like this in the 2000s and follow through with them, but I haven't really always done much on the following through lately.

Lindsaymv

Well I have limited time but also limited money - so far my solution is to just he disciplined and wait for sales later in the year. I might cave On Persona 5 and just make that my Q2 game that I allow myself, otherwise I'll catch up on these amazing Q1 releases slowly as they start to get some deep discounts.

redcrayon

I have a similarly busy lifestyle (with the addition of children). Accepting that you don't need to buy everything at launch to 'stay on top of things', it'll all still be there months or years later for a fraction of the price, is a good step towards stopping wasting money buying new AAA games and then barely touching them.

This year I've just bought Dragon Quest VIII, I deliberately chose it out of the list of stuff I want to play as it came out first and portable RPGs don't quickly drop in price. I loved it, finished it and since then have dabbled with a couple of mobile games and a couple from last Autumn that I skipped due to a lack of time. When I'm finished with them I'll pick something else from my ever-increasing list of stuff I'm interested in. I might pick up a Switch with Zelda in the Autumn.

Basically have a wishlist rather than a backlog.
It's far cheaper and frees you from any sense of obligation or wasted money. You just need to accept that keeping up with the zeitgeist isn't always possible.

Magnus

Went back to work last month and am failing at keeping up on games, but I'm happy. Haha. The BF, new job, family/friends and housework are tying up a lot of time.

I'm playing like 30-60 mins of Zelda most days and barely making a dent. I think I'be put in 30 hours or so and am still so ridiculously early on in the game (haven't touched half the regions, only finished 1 dungeon and 20 shrines). I get Overwatch and Hearthstone matches in too.

Horizon is staring at me. Only got 5 hours into that before Zelda came out. A hundred other games are sitting in the backlog too (had to nab them at killer PSN sales prices, like Witcher 3 Complete for $25).

WoW: Legion's threatening to come back soon with patch 7.2, and that'll get me back for awhile. I'm glad that game came out during my brief spat of unemployment last fall. It dominated me. I'm glad I quickly burned through RE7 in the weeks before the new job started as well.

Even with the glut of S/A-rank titles since the beginning of the year, only one I've bought is BOTW on Wii U and Grav Rush 2 (which I only bought cause it was on sale)

The others can wait when I have time in the summer (and will hopefully be cheaper then).

Mxrz

Add games to wish list. Buy them when they go on sale. Play about 2-3 hours. I managed to get 80ish hours in Dark Souls 3 over 4-5 months. Last year, that would have taken around a week.

Gaming forums are pretty awful about hyping you up for a game you have neither the time, or all that much interest in. Having a high end PC makes it worse with the feeling you need to jump on these new games immediately before your tech is too outdated for 4k/60fps.

thefil

Remember that games are not limited time offers. Keep a list of things you are interested in. Play each until you no longer want to, then find something else. The list will grow faster than you play, but that's just a property of the universe and not a bad thing.

Why would you be overwhelmed? Sounds like a rich person's problem to be frank.

Having a constant stream of quality releases is great. You can pick what you want and play that until you're done. What's so hard about buying and playing one game at a time?

Makes everything so simple, and you'll be saving so much money because a game you want to play will eventually go on sale.

Sophia

I don't have the money to buy everything that comes out, and so far I'm on a pretty good track record for finishing everything I've bought (which is Yakuza 0 and Zelda so far... :p)

Engineering student here: Play only 2 games at a time with overwhelming majority on the weekends. Waiting for games to go on sale has also been a massive help: I also cut out online multiplayer unless I'm with friends.

I haven't played:

Gravity Rush 2
Last Guardian
Yakuza 0
Resident Evil 7
Watch Dogs 2
Nioh

Prioritized Tales of Berseria, Horizon, and now NieR.

Guess I'll pick up all those other games when they go on sale for under $30.

By only playing the top tier game(s). In my opinion, game reviews score are pretty meaningless. I just stick to the ones I really want to spend my free time on, that have satisfying gameplay. Sometimes I misjudge a game and never finish it, so I'm trying to buy less. I just don't have time to play all the games now, so I stick to a few main ones.

elmalloc

And this year, it will be Zelda BOTW.

If Mass Effect came out sooner, it would have been that.

Work a fulltime job and have side consulting business/other hobbies that take up too much time. I do buy more (probably 1 game every few months), but I don't end up getting anywhere near beating them. As I've gotten older, they've turned into multiplayer only affairs (friends/family).

I don't have to play a game as soon as it's released. Nothing will happen if I play zelda or nier or ni oh later this year or next year.
The only game that came out this year that i had to play day one was Torment.

Why would you be overwhelmed? Sounds like a rich person's problem to be frank.

Having a constant stream of quality releases is great. You can pick what you want and play that until you're done. What's so hard about buying and playing one game at a time?

Makes everything so simple, and you'll be saving so much money because a game you want to play will eventually go on sale.

Haha yea I'm in no way rich but in the past I always brought games day one because I get so excited. It is for me part of the fun, even if I wasn't going to play immediately. Thing is, there is so much I want to play it just isn't going to happen at the moment. Cannot afford approximately 250 quid just on games. Also, the way I play is I only play one game at a time. I used to play multiple games and struggle to finish any of them

I'm picking my battles. I am not purchasing anymore games until I get a switch at botw later this year.

Not well. I hope things change soon, but I don't know. I am lucky if I can get in 1 or 2 hours in a week to play. So many good games I am missing out on.

FLEABttn

Banned
By skipping games entirely or reprioritizing them into later into the year. I've only bought three games so far this year (Yakuza 0, Mass Effect, and MLB17). Horizon and Zelda have been relegated to "if I get the time in the summer" or "if my wife gets bored leveling an alt in WoW and buys Zelda before me".

It also helps to narrow your gaming horizon. I don't like horror games for the most part, so scratch RE7. I'm not particularly big on JRPGs so scratch Persona 5 (and FF15 from last year). ARPG's aren't my thing so scratch Nioh. I have so little time for games I really only stick to one console now as well.

Floody

Terribly, only managed to finish Yakuza 0 and Horizon so far, and the only reason I was able to finish Horizon was because I got a few days off. Think I'm gonna wait for Persona 5, then try and find time for either RE7, Nioh, Nier or Mass Effect when done.

I'm not managing at all. Preordered all these during the BB x Visa promo and now I'm in the process of being buried alive in video games.

Gravity Rush 2 - played for a weekend before Yakuza 0 dropped
Yakuza 0 - Have put a good amount of time into this, maybe 3/4 of the way through the story, but fell off the horse when Horizon released even though I really want to go back and finish it
Resident Evil 7 - played through the first couple hours in VR and it gave me serious anxiety and dread, though I refuse to play it without VR so it's kind of just in limbo at the moment
Nioh - still sealed
For Honor - didn't preorder, but stupidly impulse bought due to hype around the release and played maybe 2 or 3 sessions total
Horizon Zero Dawn - played for a few days until Zelda dropped
Zelda Breath of the Wild - currently addicted to this and I'm going to hopefully stick with it until the end with maybe some sessions of Yakuza 0 mixed in
Nier Automata - still sealed

I did manage to finally finish Hitman S1 and play through the entirety of Night in the Woods during this span so it wasn't a complete shit show of unfinished games. Ridiculous quarter of video game releases though.

Lucentto

Banned
This year isn't so bad for me so far.

I have already beaten:

RE7
Tales of Berseria
Gravity Rush 2
Nier
Nioh

I'm stilling working on Zelda. I'm planning for it to last me until Persona 5. The trick is to buy only games you fully intend on playing. Also only play a max of two games at a time.

Roldan

Only bought (and beat) RE7, but I'm not that bothered tbh. I'm not sold on many of the big hits released thus far (maybe except Yakuza 0 and Zelda) and thank god, because I don't have the money to buy them all.

I'm playing a lot of older games on PC though, so there's that :^)

rickyson1

pretty well

usually lack of interest is a bigger barrier than time for me so i've just ramped it up a little

edit: to be more specific it's been something along the lines of playing a game a month instead of one every 3 or so

Josh5890

I've been focusing on Zelda. Horizon looks great but it will have to wait. I'm hoping Bioware patches up Mass Effect, but I'm in no hurry lol

120v

i admittedly planned my "play management" very poorly since the influx of games started last november or so. basically just dicked around with all the major releases off and on (probably didn't spend more than 30 mins with Battlefield and Dishonored 2). I haven't even gotten to try out my Oculus Touch games yet, and i consider VR quite the chunk of change on my budget.... though i have been playing through all my physical ps4 games so i can sell them. played through FFXV, Beseria, trying to wrap up Horizon but not sure if i want to part with that.

anyway, lesson learned. i'm not Day 1ing games anymore unless i know i'll play the damn thing

Mezoly

I'm not managing at all.

RE7: Stopped after 2 hours.
Nioh: Stopped in Region 2.
Horizon: Still playing through act 2.
Nier: Stopped after the Intro.

I got ME:A and Persona 5 coming up as well.
The good news for me is the second half of the year doesn't have enticing games for me. So I could just keep playing the games I have.
I'm not managing at all. Preordered all these during the BB x Visa promo and now I'm in the process of being buried alive in video games.

Gravity Rush 2 - played for a weekend before Yakuza 0 dropped
Yakuza 0 - Have put a good amount of time into this, maybe 3/4 of the way through the story, but fell off the horse when Horizon released even though I really want to go back and finish it
Resident Evil 7 - played through the first couple hours in VR and it gave me serious anxiety and dread, though I refuse to play it without VR so it's kind of just in limbo at the moment
Nioh - still sealed
For Honor - didn't preorder, but stupidly impulse bought due to hype around the release and played maybe 2 or 3 sessions total

Are you me? because that's exactly what happened to me with RE7. After 2 hours, I'm too scared to play it in VR and I don't want to play it without VR.

I'm not managing at all.

RE7: Stopped after 2 hours.
Nioh: Stopped in Region 2.
Horizon: Still playing through act 2.
Nier: Stopped after the Intro.

Same. Also stopped playing Hollow Knight and River City Ransom Underground thanks to ZELDA... TOO MANY GREAT GAMES.

It's going really bad hahah
I have a job like 3-4 hours from where I live so I'm renting a place. I come back home twice a month (weekends) and don't have much time, I'm still playing FFXV lol

Doran902

Beat Resident Evil 7, Skipped Nioh, Nier and Horizon, Bought a Switch and Zelda (i'm doomed), skipping Mass Effect and probably going to buy Persona 5.

If I was the old me I would have played all of these games somehow haha.

I'm trying to do one game at a time. That said, the only game I have purchased so far is Zelda, which I just finished. I was hoping by now the January/February games would start dropping in price, but so far its really just been RE7 having a brief stint at $40 on Amazon.

Hopefully once Mass Effect and Persona hit, Amazon will look at dropping Nioh to the $40 range. I'd hate paying anything more than $48 if I could have gotten that price by pre-ordering.

arigato

All I know is I am completing NieR Automata before the end of this year. The same goes for Yooka Laylee if that game delivers.

ckohler

I've been planing/pacing myself enough that I've actually beat more games this year then usual.

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero: Beaten
The Last Guardian: Beaten
Resident Evil 7 VR: Beaten
Horizon: 50%

I've got two more weeks to finish Horizon before Persona 5 completely consumes the next month of my life.

I'm a teacher, plus boyfriend/gym/volunteering all need time. Decided to forgo the Switch even though I had the money saved up.

Trying to play/finish one game at a time this year. I usually trade disc copies once completed to save some cash.

So far this year I've finished Resident Evil 7 and This War of Mine and started Nier Automata, as well as playing a lot of Streetfighter as always. Next up is Persona 5.

Didn't get Horizon as the release was very close to Nier. Hopefully I'll get to play it over the summer holidays.

Dremorak

Banned
I have always waited for games to go cheaper, I only make exceptions for Zelda, MGS, and some online/multiplayer games my friends are playing too. Otherwise, its a singleplayer game, its not going anywhere, I wait until I've finished the game I'm playing. That way I never leave games unfinished, especially because I find it SO hard to go back to a game thats halfway through. I can never remember story/ gameplay etc, so this system works very well for me. It just requires a little self control.

Edit for life description lol: I have a wife and 2 kids, work full time

Like you, OP, I have other interests to balance against gaming. I've started working out and I'd like to read more than I did last year. Consequently, I've canceled many preorders, sold my Xbox One, and I've tried to remove myself from the hype cycle. The last item has been the most helpful, I think. FOMO is, for me, a significant part of games culture, especially on Twitter. But resisting the siren song of a given week's hot new release, I find the fervor cools rather quickly. So I've yet to buy RE, Nioh, Yakuza 0, or Nier. I will someday but for now I'm taking my time with BotW and relishing the play-anywhere nature of Switch.

Asd202

This year I've beaten Gravity Rush and Horizon just a couple hours ago. There so many games I missed and wanted to play Tales of Berseria, RE7, Yakuza, Nioh and coming up ME:Andromeda . I've even bought Nier but I don't think I'll play it as I won't be able to finish it before Persona 5 come out in 2 weeks and I'm dropping everything for it.

Also I have Tomb Raider not started, The Witness barely started and Inside. Still after Persona 5 there really isn't anything for me till the Holidays but that can change (Trails in the Sky 3rd...)

Edit:
Shit forgot about Tekken.

Staal

Fantastic so far. Finishes Inside and the story of Rise of the Tombraider so far and I'm planning to work my way through some additional stuff in that game.
I have some games on which are on semi-active, as the best way to describe it. On Vita I still regularly play the daily chllanges of Spelunky and am slowly making my way through Persona 3 Portable (120 hrs over 5 years and I am now in the final month). On PSP I sometimes continue with Corpse Party.

If the reviews of Mass Effect Andromeda are sufficient, I will likely play that in the next few months. Otherwise I have a sufficient backlog of games to chose from. Aside from the Mass Effect franchise there are hardly games that I feel I need to play. There is so much available to me and my limited time can also be spend on series, movies and books.

causan

I just don't have time anymore. I pre-ordered Horizon, the only game I have purchased this year, and have been playing it off and on since release and I am only 25% complete with the game.

I also still need to finish playing Doom, TF2, Battlefield, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3.

Asd202

Fantastic so far. Finishes Inside and the story of Rise of the Tombraider so far and I'm planning to work my way through some additional stuff in that game.
I have some games on which are on semi-active, as the best way to describe it. On Vita I still regularly play the daily chllanges of Spelunky and am slowly making my way through Persona 3 Portable (120 hrs over 5 years and I am now in the final month). On PSP I sometimes continue with Corpse Party.

If the reviews of Mass Effect Andromeda are sufficient, I will likely play that in the next few months. Otherwise I have a sufficient backlog of games to chose from. Aside from the Mass Effect franchise there are hardly games that I feel I need to play. There is so much available to me and my limited time can also be spend on series, movies and books.

I think I'll bite both before P5 as there both on my backlog. How long is Rise of Tomb Raider?

sappyday

So far I bought 4 games this year

Nioh
RE7
Zelda
Nier

I put down Nioh halfway since it wasn't grabbing me as much I had hoped. I then bought RE7 and I just beat it last night, great game that didn't require much of my time. Next up is Nier until I get Persona 5 or a Switch to play Zelda.

Nioh at launch was a mistake in hindsight. Hopefully I pick it back up this Summer.

Horizon got the royal treatment, all of my time, just beat it yesterday.

I own Zelda, I don't own a Switch, the second I get my hands on one everything gets dropped for awhile.

Mass Effect made it easier to wait until I have time/a sale which I am grateful for.

Basically I chose my Jan-May new games to be Horizon and Zelda. This summer with no school and no games i care about coming out I will jump on P5, Nier, Nioh and ME:A. I'll also be squeezing in a few games of Overwatch like always.

What a fucking year, if RDR2 and Mario Odyssey hit this year it could be the best ever. Can't wait for the GOTY voting and results threads.

Mathieran

Banned
I bought GR2 and completed that around when Horizon came out. Now I'm plugging away at that, probably have 1-2 weeks left til I'm done with that. Next up is Zelda which I think will keep me busy for another month.

Then I'm gonna work on my backlog and buy everything cheap over the holidays.

I have gotten a lot of extra time due to my wife being tired a lot lately so I've been getting some evening gaming in in addition to my usual 1 hour of am time.

Robiin

Beat RE7 thankfully. I played around 30 hours of NiOh which has been put away because I'm playing Horizon and Zelda at the moment. Zelda when I'm alone and Horizon when the girlfriend wants to watch. I want to get Nier too, and I will get Mass Effect if it turns out well. I have a new job starting at the end of this month which will require a bunch of my time, both on site for 40 h/week and at home.

This year is crazy.

Top Bottom