• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombcast Mass Effect 3 Edition is out!

"The Master of Mass Effect Casey Hudson stops by to give us the full briefing on Commander Shepard's final mission."

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcast/
*sigh*
I'm not liking this self-imposed media blackout on ME3 stuff. I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun. Anyone that listens to this, could you say whether or not there's anything spoilery about ME3 in it? I assume there will be, so I don't have my hopes up at the moment.

FStop7

Banned
gTdjm.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Note they're standing at the entrance of Club 33. I hear the food there is pretty awesome.

*sigh*
I'm not liking this self-imposed media blackout on ME3 stuff. I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun. Anyone that listens to this, could you say whether or not there's anything spoilery about ME3 in it? I assume there will be, so I don't have my hopes up at the moment.

No spoilers.

Fjordson

This is kind of random but who is Patrick doing that Vice City article with tomorrow?

Scrolling over the line in the "Coming up on Giant Bomb" box all I get is:

"Backtracking: Remembering Grand Theft Auto: Vice City With" and that's it :lol

KorrZ

This is kind of random but who is Patrick doing that Vice City article with tomorrow?

Scrolling over the line in the "Coming up on Giant Bomb" box all I get is:

"Backtracking: Remembering Grand Theft Auto: Vice City With" and that's it :lol

I don't know what this is, but anything involving Vice City is bound to be awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if this should be in the Bombcast thread, but whatever. There's a bonus episode this week with Casey Hudson. He seems to be doing the podcast rounds this week, since he showed up on GameSpot's podcast and presumably other shows as well.

For anyone who listened, I'm just wondering, was this just a shill episode or did anything interesting happen?

Riposte

I don't know if this should be in the Bombcast thread, but whatever. There's a bonus episode this week with Casey Hudson. He seems to be doing the podcast rounds this week, since he showed up on GameSpot's podcast and presumably other shows as well.

For anyone who listened, I'm just wondering, was this just a shill episode or did anything interesting happen?

Shill episode. Dude shows virtually no personality, though he has a nice voice.

Rufus

He also dodged one of the interesting questions, because it would have gone into the potential character death problem that ME2 made so much worse. Can't really blame him for not answering it, but it'd still be nice to find out why they went with the suicide mission stuff when it would clearly magnify the issue... They had problems accounting for one character (Kaiden/Ashley) in a meaningful way, what are they going to do with a dozen? Small wonder he didn't give a straight answer there.

Big-E

Weird, it's like if they like Mass Effect or something.

I like Mass Effect too, but I am still critical of their decisions with what has happened so far with ME3. I guess I shouldn't be so mad I just hate how no one really presses developers when they have them over for a podcast. I guess if people did that, no more developers on a podcast but if it is always going to be like this than I don't want that.

LCfiner

Have not played the game yet, so I have yet to see what some might call a dumb decision.

planet scanning is the obvious example.

and, depending on what type of game you were looking for, the way ME2 drastically reduced the level up options and branches and eliminated gear for teammates might be considered "dumb".

derFeef

planet scanning is the obvious example.

and, depending on what type of game you were looking for, the way ME2 drastically reduced the level up options and branches and eliminated gear for teammates might be considered "dumb".

Of course, but isn't it a bit naive to think the guys needed to pressure Casey just because you think some choices are dumb?

djm

It's a publicity tour. How often do you see late night talk show hosts grilling their guests about the thing they're plugging? It would be incredibly awkward.

LCfiner

Of course, but isn't it a bit naive to think the guys needed to pressure Casey just because you think some choices are dumb?

note that I have not listened to this podcast yet

sure, I agree.

I don't see any reason to be hostile or aggressive during these types of interviews - it'll never make anything better.

I find most developer interviews to be rather pointless as they're almost always devoid of any real info. it's just rehearsed talking points, most of the time.

But it can be good to bring up the perceived shortcomings of a previous game and ask how they've been addressed. And regarding ME3 - the RPG skill progressions and planet scanning have been talked about a bunch as a direct response to those concerns from ME2.

But, as I mentioned before, the answers to these types of questions are almost always rehearsed.

meh.

So my hoodie has just arrived but I'm not happy.

I live in the UK and it had a £12 custom tax which I had to pay the postman when he delivered this. Nowhere on the shop did it mention this. I've basically paid 50% extra than my original order.

img00417-20120301-135l2y5x.jpg

1x Giant Bomb Logo Hoodie - Medium for $35.00 each

Discounts : $-15.00 USD
Subtotal : $20.00 USD
Tax : $0.00 USD
Shipping : $15.15 USD
Total : $35.15 USD

I paid $15 for shipping, which is £9.40. An extra £12 on top of that is ridiculous.

Anyone else from the UK had this problem?

Who do I contact about this? I expect them to refund me that £12.

Rufus

Perhaps, but it is disappointing nonetheless. They did at least with one question go into the direction; indirectly calling into question a decision Bioware made for ME2. It may not have even been intended considering the way it was asked, but it would have led to discussing the repercussions of having every new character they introduced in ME2 potentially ending up dead by the end of it and what that means for the sequel. I already think ME2 was, story wise, a waste of time. I assume ME3 is only going to affirm that.

Chasing the 'new player' with every iteration of a trilogy is a stupid idea.

OMG Aero

So my hoodie has just arrived but I'm not happy.

I live in the UK and it had a £12 custom tax which I had to pay the postman when he delivered this. Nowhere on the shop did it mention this. I've basically paid 50% extra than my original order.

I paid $15 for shipping, which is £9.40. An extra £12 on top of that is ridiculous.

Anyone else from the UK had this problem?

Who do I contact about this? I expect them to refund me that £12.
As far as I know, sometimes customs stops and checks some packages that are coming into the country at random and if they do so someone has to pay for it, usually the receiver.
You can contact Whiskey about it and if they are really nice they might do something, but it isn't their fault and they don't have to do anything.

It's a tax. That has nothing to do with Whiskey.

Why am I being charged now but not the other two Whiskey shirts I bought, which were more expensive?

I don't think it's right that they can charge you postage and not mention the possibility of hidden fees like this. I don't import from America so I don't have experience with this sort of stuff.

If they stated on the site that this was a possibility I wouldn't have ordered it. It's a great hoodie but I've paid way more than I wanted to now.

As far as I know, sometimes customs stops and checks some packages that are coming into the country at random and if they do so someone has to pay for it, usually the receiver.
You can contact Whiskey about it and if they are really nice they might do something, but it isn't their fault and they don't have to do anything.

I see :\ Well I PM'd Jeff about it on here, but if it's out of their control then I guess that's that.

This has left a bitter taste in my mouth though and I won't be ordering from them again unfortunately. It's a shame because I've been gathering quite a nice collection of WM gear.

Why am I being charged now but not the other two Whiskey shirts I bought, which were more expensive?

I don't think it's right that they can charge you postage and not mention the possibility of hidden fees like this. I don't import from America so I don't have experience with this sort of stuff.

If they stated on the site that this was a possibility I wouldn't have ordered it. It's a great hoodie but I've paid way more than I wanted to now.
If you don't order from within the EU, you're at risk of paying customs. That's just how it is. You got lucky with your shirts or maybe they didn't exceed an exemption limit, but there's no guarantee you will have the same luck every time. It's not Whiskey's fault.

Eh okay, I take back my rage at Whiskey then. I'll jot it down to a learning experience. I genuinely didn't know about custom fees etc, I thought that's what I was paying for with the extra postage. :(

Ya, I was hoping they would be addressing some of the issues but it is pretty much a love in. I regret downloading.

I'd like to hear some of the questions brought up, particularly the issues that Vinny has brought up in the past, such as, all of the retailer specific preorder bonuses or some of the marketing choices. However, you wouldn't get anything more than standard PR responses and it just wouldn't seem like the appropriate time to corner the guy about things he likely has little control over. I'm sure Casey Hudson is just going on a press tour and expecting Vinny to press him on these things is like expecting Conan O'Brien to throw hard balls at Tom Cruise when he came on to promote Mission Impossible 3.

Edit:

Or pretty much what he said.
It's a publicity tour. How often do you see late night talk show hosts grilling their guests about the thing they're plugging? It would be incredibly awkward.

Patryn

Yeah, you wouldn't get any real answers even if you asked tough questions. For an illustration of what would happen, look at the recent 1Up interview with Mac Walters where they press him hard on the whole Earth-focused campaign, bring up the lack of consequences for your ME1 choices in ME2, and whether the smaller stuff from ME1 would get payoffs and then gets absolutely no answers.

Orgun

Eh okay, I take back my rage at Whiskey then. I'll jot it down to a learning experience. I genuinely didn't know about custom fees etc, I thought that's what I was paying for with the extra postage. :(

Oh wow really? I was wondering why you were so bent out of shape about it. lol

I've gotten lucky in that the two shirts I had off them managed to avoid the tax, maybe customs have started to clamp down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom