• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

You misinterpreted what I said. When I say "tools are not a medium of art", I mean that tools in themselves are not art. Of course they can be used to make art, but they are not art by themselves because they have a utilitarian purpose, as opposed to art which by definition does not have utilitarian purpose.

A pair of scissors is not art. A paper sculture made using the same pair of scissors is art.

You music is art; your musical instrument is not.

I don't understand what this has to do with games at all. A sprite-making program, a compiler or an IDE might be a tool, but a game is a medium exactly the same as, say, a book is a medium. To say that a game, the final product, is a tool, makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Platy

tumblr_mnzig0AQlQ1rhf0ijo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnx1dcoUwL1rhf0ijo1_1280.gif

tumblr_mo1ftn1y361rhf0ijo1_500.gif

hand-painted watercolors...
this one's one my list!

Hand Painted, not hand animated.

Still beautiful ... but something looks strange on that vector water =/

Not that I would be expecting Aleksandr Petrov style animations but you don't need much for an awesome water effects with watercolours ... specialy with gorgeous effects being achieavable with more time and skills

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is that new? I recall seeing gameplay videos for it ages ago.

Maybe its just the Steam Release? Cant find anything on their website about a previous version though. Looks like a neat arcadey puzzle game.

Maybe its just the Steam Release? Cant find anything on their website about a previous version though. Looks like a neat arcadey puzzle game.

Ahh, I know now. The steam game is an updated version of an XBLA game and I was thinking of the previews for the original.

Also, been playing some of the early access steam version of Unepic. I dunno how much is actually new because I am going from Desura ver to the steam ver and I knew the Desura ver is already super out of date, but seeing potential co-op play, dungeon generators and general interface improvements makes that game looks like it might be really really good.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ahh, I know now. The steam game is an updated version of an XBLA game and I was thinking of the previews for the original.

Also, been playing some of the early access steam version of Unepic. I dunno how much is actually new because I am going from Desura ver to the steam ver and I knew the Desura ver is already super out of date, but seeing potential co-op play, dungeon generators and general interface improvements makes that game looks like it might be really really good.

Wait what? Dungeon generators?

Wait what? Dungeon generators?

The steam version seems to have a dungeon editor. I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, still getting used to the menus and stuff. But the concept of making and dungeon and running through it with a party of the gaf community sounds awesome at least.

Hofmann

Hand Painted, not hand animated.

Still beautiful ... but something looks strange on that vector water =/

Not that I would be expecting Aleksandr Petrov style animations but you don't need much for an awesome water effects with watercolours ... specialy with gorgeous effects being achieavable with more time and skills

You know, they've just started working on the game, so it will only look better with time.

Different matter. Someone over at Devlogs pointed out that the way the character of the little girl is depicted may be perceived as racist.

8961473105_0f24575f0a_o.jpg

I wouldn't have thought that this may be even in a slightest way offensive, either way that's what they did:D

8993786475_891264e74e_o.jpg

Toma

The steam version seems to have a dungeon editor. I haven't had the chance to play with it yet, still getting used to the menus and stuff. But the concept of making and dungeon and running through it with a party of the gaf community sounds awesome at least.

So a level editor or a dungeon creator? Dungeon creator sounds more like randomly created dungeons to romp through, which would be hella awesome. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but please let me know as soon as you find out.

So a level editor or a dungeon creator? Dungeon creator sounds more like randomly created dungeons to romp through, which would be hella awesome. Sorry for asking stupid questions, but please let me know as soon as you find out.

95% certain it is a level editor where you make the levels yourself. Sorry for being a bit vague on that. Although, it is hard to be certain because I can't get access to the tools directly. The descriptions in the game suggests that you need to progress through the co-op campaign to unlock the feature and thus far I have been unable to gather a party and the MP campaign appeals to be impossible to solo.

Toma

95% certain it is a level editor where you make the levels yourself. Sorry for being a bit vague on that. Although, it is hard to be certain because I can't get access to the tools directly. The descriptions in the game suggests that you need to progress through the co-op campaign to unlock the feature and thus far I have been unable to gather a party and the MP campaign appeals to be impossible to solo.

How many people? 2 would be enough? Online Coop? And I wanted to create a thread for it anyway, so maybe we can start something on GAF.

How many people? 2 would be enough? Online Coop? And I wanted to create a thread for it anyway, so maybe we can start something on GAF.

3 at least. The problem I ran into was that you get to this point where there are three doors that lead to 3 separate pits with enemies down them. Once you fall down the pit it appealed to be impossible to get out of it so I presume the intention is that you have a party of three to each go down a pit, kill the enemy and with them all dead the exit opens. The previous screens all featured exits that wouldn't open till all the enemies were dead so I assume that the trend continues. Multiplayer is all online, the game actually appeals to have this real robust party system allows you to do stuff like play the single player while searching for a multiplayer game and stuff like that.

Toma

3 at least. The problem I ran into was that you get to this point where there are three doors that lead to 3 separate pits with enemies down them. Once you fall down the pit it appealed to be impossible to get out of it so I presume the intention is that you have a party of three to each go down a pit, kill the enemy and with them all dead the exit opens. The previous screens all featured exits that wouldn't open till all the enemies were dead so I assume that the trend continues. Multiplayer is all online, the game actually appeals to have this real robust party system allows you to do stuff like play the single player while searching for a multiplayer game and stuff like that.

I dont have the Steam version yet, but if there is anything else that you feel should be in the OP for the new thread, please let me know.

Nillansan

Does the Early Access version feature controller support?

Does the Early Access version feature controller support?

It does, although I'm having a bit of an issue with it cos the options don't register the analog stick or directional buttons inputs correctly, it makes movement ingame fine but navigating the menus is all but impossible.

The steam alpha for Unepic is now available for purchase if you haven't got it. The alpha status is really just the multiplayer aspects, the single player is all complete. Definitely worth checking out if you are even mildly interested, it won bronze place in our 'best of march' vote off.

Toma

The steam alpha for Unepic is now available for purchase if you haven't got it. The alpha status is really just the multiplayer aspects, the single player is all complete. Definitely worth checking out if you are even mildly interested, it won bronze place in our 'best of march' vote off.

Random aside, I bought it on Desura... Anyone read about additional Steam keys?

Just watching the first ever Horizon conference stream.

HORIZON, the alternative press conference being presented by Venus Patrol and MOCAtv, the video channel of Los Angeles’s Museum of Contemporary Art, and so I thought I’d share a bit more about what you can expect.

I missed earlier, if anyone missed here's the link, well worth a watch.
http://www.twitch.tv/venuspatrol/b/416450563

Stream goes live at about 22:00.
Titles on show.

(27:00) Double Fine's Greg Rice. Talking a bit about Kickstarter and showing some Broken Age. Also talked a tiny bit about Massive Chalice, DropChord.
Also announced Indie Fund will be funding TWO brand new Double Fine games.

(33:00) Capy's Nathan Vella & Kris Piotrowski of Capy. Showing something different from the Below footage shown at Xbox One conference.

(38:10) Media Molecule's Rex Crowle & Siobhan Reddy. Tearaway shown on PS Vita, highlighting the tiny things that make the game lovely.

(46:29) Die Gute Fabrik's Ramiro Corbetta & Doug Wilson. Sports Friends featuring Super Pole Riders, Hokra, Johan Sebastian Joust, Bara Bari Ball.

(53:30) Mutazione also gets mentioned from Fabrik, adventure game, looks very nice.

(57:30) Richard Hogg & from Honey Slugg, Ricky Haggett. Showing Hohokum for PS Vita & PS4/PS3.

(1:02:00) Ben Esposito from Little Flag. Showing Kachina

(1:07:00) Funomena's Robin (Journey) Hunicke & Keita (Katamari Damacy/Noby Noby Boy) Takahasi

(1:14:15) Fez II teaser reveal.

Pretty obvious, but if you purchased UnEpic straight from him as well, just log in to My Zone and you will get your key straight from there.

Just fired it up on steam and noted it has controller support as well as multiplayer! It didn't have those when I picked it up almost 2 years ago. This hermit looks forward to playing through with a controller at least. Control wasn't as precise as I liked when I first played. Great exploration and humor, though.

Hofmann

Just watching the first ever Horizon conference stream.

I missed earlier, if anyone missed here's the link, well worth a watch.
http://www.twitch.tv/venuspatrol/b/416450563

Stream goes live at about 22:00.
Titles on show.

(27:00) Double Fine's Greg Rice. Talking a bit about Kickstarter and showing some Broken Age. Also talked a tiny bit about Massive Chalice, DropChord.
Also announced Indie Fund will be funding TWO brand new Double Fine games.

(33:00) Capy's Nathan Vella & Kris Piotrowski of Capy. Showing something different from the Below footage shown at Xbox One conference.

(38:10) Media Molecule's Rex Crowle & Siobhan Reddy. Tearaway shown on PS Vita, highlighting the tiny things that make the game lovely.

(46:29) Die Gute Fabrik's Ramiro Corbetta & Doug Wilson. Sports Friends featuring Super Pole Riders, Hokra, Johan Sebastian Joust, Bara Bari Ball.

(53:30) Mutazione also gets mentioned from Fabrik, adventure game, looks very nice.

(57:30) Richard Hogg & from Honey Slugg, Ricky Haggett. Showing Hohokum for PS Vita & PS4/PS3.

(1:02:00) Ben Esposito from Little Flag. Showing Kachina

(1:07:00) Funomena's Robin (Journey) Hunicke & Keita (Katamari Damacy/Noby Noby Boy) Takahasi

(1:14:15) Fez II teaser reveal.

So many great games, thanks for the link.

Can't wait for just announced Mutazione and a new Hunicke & Takahashi game.

Techies

Well Rooks Keep, the Melee Combat Arena + Chess optional game is getting released soon, 14th June. $15, though it never made it past Steam Greenlight despite being on there for 2 years now.

v3JveiM.jpg

vGM7mvQ.jpg

Been looking forward to that one for a while now, and won't be weekend home to play it.
The reason why I followed it so closely was simple, it comes from Runestorm, who made ballistics which is widely regarded the best mod of UT2004 of all time.

Now after the UT3 fiasco, the once vibrant modding community kinda collapsed. This meant no UT4. UT3 was released in 2007 which means it's been 6 years since there was an Unreal Engine 3 game that was open to modding as UT3 and it's predecessors.

By open I mean offline LAN, source code, mutators, AI, being able to make levels with the editor, the works.

So if everything goes well, people who currently learning the UDK, now have an actual game they can go to showcase their awesome UDK made maps.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is an amazing game. The controls are very intuitive and the game runs surprisingly well on my crap laptop.

So good I've played through it twice, on the hardest difficulty setting both times. I can't really get enough of a good 2D fast paced brawler, I'm counting the days till Vampire Smile finally comes to bloody PC.

itxaka

Defeatist
Got unepic, no steam keys. Well, I will download it manually.

So happy that is made by a spaniard, seems like there is almost 0 indies in Spain or they are not able to get the word out there that Im happy for them to get a game into steam.

I'm probably a little late to the party, but I love The Yawhg! What a wonderfully charming little game, very nice art style, an excellent soundtrack and genuinely intriguing gameplay that's just perfect to play with a group of friends;

http://www.theyawhg.com/

The only thing I'm sad about is that after a dozen or so play-throughs, I've seen pretty much everything the game has to offer. Would love to see it expanded upon in the future.

itxaka

Defeatist
<Imp>A Nation of Wind; 1; Strange game, never got really into it because it's poorly explainedµµµFTL: Faster Than Light; 4; Really really good game, a bit difficult but it gives you motives to keep trying. Feels like old school gaming with up to date gameplay.µµµGame Dev Tycoon; 2; It's really a copy of Game Dev Story from Kairosoft with some added extras. If you haven't play the Kairosoft game, you will find a really good simulation game.µµµGunpoint; 4; Really great game. A bit short but the level editor should fix that. Multiple paths and different ways of completing the objectives.µµµLittle Inferno; 3; Funny little game, if you can call it a game. It's more of a timewaster, but oh boy do you waste time with it. When you notice, a couple of hours have passed while you were burning things.</Imp>

Is this supposed to go like this? lol

Toma

Is this supposed to go like this? lol

Yup :) Thanks. I still need to add this thread to the program so its evaluated as well. I'll let you know when your scores are in.

So happy that is made by a spaniard, seems like there is almost 0 indies in Spain or they are not able to get the word out there that Im happy for them to get a game into steam.

Yeah, the Spanish scene is completely different from the old 8-bit micros era, where we were pretty much on top. :/ There's a few other indie games by fellow Spaniards, though, even a couple that have made a splash:
http://zackzero.com/
http://www.nyxquest.com/en/index.html

.Is this supposed to go like this? lol

No, there seems to be something wrong with that.

You gave FTL a 4. :p

itxaka

Defeatist
No, there seems to be something wrong with that.

You gave FTL a 4. :p

Not a fan of giving 5 out of 5 :D

Scale should be 10 at least.

@Toma: Any reason the program is on dotsuck dotnet? I wonder if a simple python+QT program would be better. I mean, it will be cross platform.

Also, why won't you use a small online db to store everything from the program directly? There is some app platforms websites out there that would provide you everything to store the data in there? Even setting up an amazon mini VM would be enough!

Toma

Not a fan of giving 5 out of 5 :D

Scale should be 10 at least.

@Toma: Any reason the program is on dotsuck dotnet? I wonder if a simple python+QT program would be better. I mean, it will be cross platform.

Also, why won't you use a small online db to store everything from the program directly? There is some app platforms websites out there that would provide you everything to store the data in there? Even setting up an amazon mini VM would be enough!

Because I have no clue how to use that :p I started learning C# a while ago and from the languages I tried, it just feels the most natural to me.

I realize that it wasnt the most fitting solution for what I was trying to achieve, but I figured its better to just try and do something instead of only complaining that no one else makes something for it.
And we intentionally decided on a 5 scale for simplicity reasons, especially since its easier to compare most Indies based on a "feeling" than on a concrete judgement.

itxaka

Defeatist
Because I have no clue how to use that :p I started learning C# a while ago and from the languages I tried, it just feels the most natural to me.

I realize that it wasnt the most fitting solution for what I was trying to achieve, but I figured its better to just try and do something instead of only complaining that no one else makes something for it.
And we intentionally decided on a 5 scale for simplicity reasons, especially since its easier to compare most Indies based on a "feeling" than on a concrete judgement.

Ahhh alright!!

Well, if you need a hand, I'm up to it, but only python + QT because those are the only languages I know :D

Toma

Excellent! Thank you so much for the link. This is infectiously entertaining.

Its super awesome. Thread for it coming... eventually, as soon as I can stop playing Last of Us.

marrec

Banned
New browser based game that was directly inspired by Candy Box, but is quite different from it.

A Dark Room -

BidGola.jpg

One of those games you don't really want to spoil by explaining what happens, but if you liked Candy Box then you'll probably dig A Dark Room, though it has a more cohesive and interesting story than CB. You can probably complete it in less than a day, but it will require multiple playthroughs to see everything.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for these types of games, but man does A Dark Room get exploration and discovery so right compared to the 'open world' games from Bethesda and Rockstar.

Top Bottom