• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

KuroNeeko

Defenders Quest looks good - namedropping it for next month.

Defenders Quest is amazing and this is coming from a guy who doesn't like tower defense games. Well worth your time.

Just throwing this out there but you can buy Defender's Quest from the developer for about $5 (66% off the normal price.) The sale only lasts 2 more days I think. You can buy it off Steam for the same price, but buying it from the dev gives them more cash and gives you a DRM-free copy of the game (WITH a Steam key!.)

http://www.defendersquest.com/

I've only played the first few levels, but it's a decent TD game. The writing is fairly amateurish, but I still enjoyed it;D The mechanics (stats & whatnot) are all on display so it caters a bit more to the hardcore TD fan. Overall, the developer's love of the genre really shines through and I think that puts the game over the top.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just throwing this out there but you can buy Defender's Quest from the developer for about $5 (66% off the normal price.) The sale only lasts 2 more days I think. You can buy it off Steam for the same price, but buying it from the dev gives them more cash and gives you a DRM-free copy of the game (WITH a Steam key!.)

http://www.defendersquest.com/

I've only played the first few levels, but it's a decent TD game. The writing is fairly amateurish, but I still enjoyed it;D The mechanics (stats & whatnot) are all on display so it caters a bit more to the hardcore TD fan. Overall, the developer's love of the genre really shines through and I think that puts the game over the top.

Which reminds me, tried some more Sentinel?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
On a different note, I just stopped a 2 hour session of Rogue Legacy.

Goddamn is this game addictive.

I'm also addicted to Rogue Legacy, its time consuming abilities are impressive. I think its something to do with the fact that you get to choose a next dude before you spend your cash, it's that constant drip feed of improvement.

Dascu

Here you go, Toma.

male14bbib.gif

Now stop bugging me for .gif's, or I'll smack you with my torch.

Toma

Here you go, Toma.

Now stop bugging me for .gif's, or I'll smack you with my torch.

Haha, okay okay.

Although there are probably worse fates than being hit by a nicely cellshaded torch

Dascu

Apparently URL's to the .gif image don't work with Twitter hashtags. Anyway to make that .gif show up in the #screenshotsaturday feed?

Toma

Apparently URL's to the .gif image don't work with Twitter hashtags. Anyway to make that .gif show up in the #screenshotsaturday feed?

Pretty sure that doesnt work. I remember clicking on quite a few static pictures and then being surprised they turned out to be gifs.

Dascu

Bizarre. I see other people linking to stuff via dropbox and imgur links, and still showing up in the hashtag feed. But no success when I try it.

Noogy

When's voting due? I'm trying to squeeze in a few games but man it's been busy again :p

BTW, Rogue Legacy lives up the fantastic demo, really enjoying the final game.

Anyone try Storm? I grabbed it off Steam this morning and had a quick go (couldn't progress very far, as I'm on a laptop and the game required a middle mouse button press, so I'll have to wait until I get home to play more) - it seems like a nice, relaxing puzzle game, plus the graphics are pretty;

Basically, in each level you have a seed on a tree that you have to move (with the help of the elements) to fertile ground. You do this by using the wind to blow the seed onwards, using rain to flood areas and raise the seed up, using lightning strikes to jump the seed over obstacles, etc (I'm sure there's more, but as I said, I couldn't progress without a mouse/controller and the game doesn't allow you to change key bindings, bah).

Toma

When's voting due? I'm trying to squeeze in a few games but man it's been busy again :p

BTW, Rogue Legacy lives up the fantastic demo, really enjoying the final game.
More or less 24 hours now left.

Anyone try Storm? I grabbed it off Steam this morning and had a quick go (couldn't progress very far, as I'm on a laptop and the game required a middle mouse button press, so I'll have to wait until I get home to play more) - it seems like a nice, relaxing puzzle game, plus the graphics are pretty;

Basically, in each level you have a seed on a tree that you have to move (with the help of the elements) to fertile ground. You do this by using the wind to blow the seed onwards, using rain to flood areas and raise the seed up, using lightning strikes to jump the seed over obstacles, etc (I'm sure there's more, but as I said, I couldn't progress without a mouse/controller and the game doesn't allow you to change key bindings, bah).
Woah, pretty. Thanks for posting. More impressions appreciated.

Cth

Wow.. Just discovered this thread.. So many good games to try!

Thanks for all the recommendations, looking forward to contributing!

Toma

Wow.. Just discovered this thread.. So many good games to try!

Thanks for all the recommendations, looking forward to contributing!

Welcome :) Its a monthly thread series, so feel free to check out the games from the last few threads too since there were quite a few great games as well. If you need any guideline what to try from that huge list of games, I recommend looking at my program that I linked in the first line of the OP where a few of us rate the games we play to give you a somewhat comparable average. Also, feel free to use it yourself to write impressions because we need more people using it to test some features.

No one that bought Gun Monkeys here aswell? It's from the guys who did 'Time Gentlemen Please' and 'Ben There, Dan That'.

I'm torn, on the one hand I'm a massive fan of those adventure games and for a long time I was really looking forward to what they did next. But on the other, I couldn't be less interested in a vs multiplayer only game.

Toma

I can confirm it is pretty rad. Once you get past the opening tutorial puzzles the mechanics actually get pretty interesting and puzzles get a little devious. Also enjoying the Cthulhu layer of it, although some of the dialog is quite stupid.

Why no demoooo. I mean demos have their advantages and disadvantages in the AAA sector but for an expensive Indie? Games below a certain price point can be in the impulse buy territory, but 20$ isnt anymore. Also annoying that they use the $=€ conversion.

And I am just reminded that I need to create the Unepic thread eventually. (Still working on the july thread).

Toma

Defenders Quest will be featured in the next thread and is currently 66% off for only 5 bucks!
Buy on the dev website or on Steam:
http://www.defendersquest.com/buy.html

I read a lot of favourable impressions about this one, if you consider joining us playing it next month, grab it within the next 27 hours.

Noogy

Alrighty, I didn't get as much free time as I had hoped this month, but here are my top games. I obviously avoided voting for my own (Dust:AET), but I highly recommend it :)

Candy Box: This game came out of nowhere and completely surprised me. What a great concept. I'd also add A Dark Room to this list but it doesn't seem to be up for voting.

Rogue Legacy: Concept is rad, demo was rad, and full game seems rad so far. Worth the wait.

Chasm: I can never get enough of prodedural mixed with Metroid-style gameplay. I'm certain I'll be spending a ton of time with the final release.

Cry of Fear: A testament to what the modding community can create.

Leaf me Alone: I added this last minute, what a great, relaxing little Metroid-like. Very charming.

CzarTim

Votes:

Little Inferno - Charming style and presentation. The combos provide an oddly satisfying element despite the simple gameplay mechanics.

Game Dev Tycoon - It may be a stolen concept, but I still had fun with it. I miss the old tycoon games, there's something very relaxing about watching numbers go up.

Rogue Legacy - I don't really like reflex-intensive games, but I really like the premise. Not for me, but worth a shout-out.

Candy Box - I really like the trend of browser games doing something really simple yet engaging.

Why no demoooo. I mean demos have their advantages and disadvantages in the AAA sector but for an expensive Indie? Games below a certain price point can be in the impulse buy territory, but 20$ isnt anymore. Also annoying that they use the $=€ conversion.

Yeah, it could certainly use a demo. I can totally think of the perfect point in the game too that they could cut out to form a demo.

Defenders Quest will be featured in the next thread and is currently 66% off for only 5 bucks!

I would mega recommend this if anyone is even slightly into tower defense or strategy RPG games. It is rather fantastic.

Toma

Done with the posts for next months games and the future games (46 and 38 games respectively). Still need to create the intro post, tally the votes (and create the vote list) and create a new section of the OP though, the Media corner.

Now what you might find there? YOU'LL SEE.

Cool to see that the thread somehow always fills itself with games, but the june thread definitely had the stronger lineup. Curious to check out some games next month though, quite a few that seem pretty interesting/weird/wacky.

Vancha

Done with the posts for next months games and the future games (46 and 38 games respectively). Still need to create the intro post, tally the votes (and create the vote list) and create a new section of the OP though, the Media corner.

Now what you might find there? YOU'LL SEE.

Cool to see that the thread somehow always fills itself with games, but the june thread definitely had the stronger lineup. Curious to check out some games next month though, quite a few that seem pretty interesting/weird/wacky.

Ooh exciting, looking forward to it ^_^

Played some more of Spring, with a controller this time, and the game seems like a lot of fun - it appears as if you have control of just rain, wind and lightning, although whether further powers become available I don't know. Levels see you needing to combine the powers and their effects to reach the goal which is to seed all the open fertile ground on the level. Also, adding to the challenge, each level provides you with a set number of powers (and although the powers do recharge, timing is often key), but additional powers and uses can be gained via pick-ups in some levels. An example of combining powers would be to use a lightning strike to jump the seed up to a thermal, then to use rain to make the thermal produce bubbles that pick up the seed and finally use wind to blow the bubble towards the goal. Lightning strikes can also be used to destroy certain features in the levels, such as eroded cliff-faces or rotten logs. Plus, there are different varieties of seeds with their own properties, although I've only encountered the 'heavy seed', which is slower moving and will not float in water. The lightning strikes almost make the game feel like a platformer, in places, as you often need to use one to launch a quickly-rolling/floating seed over a gap.

Here's a couple of gifs;

irvsqhFC6RJHv.gif

igFc4Oyv8BIk6.gif

Toma

Nice, most votes of any monthly Indie Game thread so far. Thanks everyone :)

Still mad at no one voting for Sentinel however and only 3 votes for Reus and 2 for Ballpoint >:-(

just kidding :D

or am I? Free horse heads for everyone.

Also, Magrunner looks pretty rad, but $19,99 without a demo? No surprise there isnt much interest in the thread on GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599071

Yeah sucks about no demo, but you definitely get your brain twisters and length worth. I love the natural progression towards the Cthulhu stuff rather than blowing their loads early like most games do (God of War). Worth getting around to when you have the time and money.

irwPyinLvFrhB.gif

Also, you have a 6-armed mentor who can scratch his butt and drink from a Sherlock Holmes mug at the same time. Worth the price of admission alone :p

Delayed Voting!

Gunpoint - Easily the most impressive indie game I've played this month. Absolutely loved it. You can tell how much care has gone into crafting it and he is continuing with support. Stellar title.

Candy Box - I left this open in my browser for a couple weeks, just accumulating wealth and enjoying how it opened the world up for you with new mechanics and ways to do things.

Little Inferno - Some people just want to watch the world, and their time, burn. Is anything a waste if we enjoy it? Is everything?

No one has to die - Glad I played it so I could have 4 on this list. Don't get how people call it an adventure, but I suck at the puzzling which seems to be the main theme.

Best Demo - Sentinel - Interesting take on Tower Defense with a nice mixture of min-maxing allotment of resources all while keeping with the beat.

Best Beta - Card Hunter - Nice mix of CCG and Board game action that has some really great work done, but some of the in your face pay requests (to me, at least) kind of turn me off a bit.

Best Alpha - Fleish and Cherry - I hope this gets some way of being made. Great design and humorous interactions.

Apologies for the delay! I hope I got my votes in on time.

Thank you all for all the curating/work some of you offer with your daily info and tireless sharing of screens/links/info.

Toma

You decide. Quickly. Either posting the new thread NOW, with missing vote pictures and, again, no contests (but I'll edit them in later) or wait another 4-5 hours for the next thread to go up (because I'll need to leave for a while)? If no one answers within the next few minutes, I'll decide on the 4-5 hours option.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Fleish and Cherry wont meet their Indiegogo goal :(
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fleish-cherry-in-crazy-hotel

Sorry guys! Hope you still manage to continue working on it or find other means of funding.

This sucks, I was hoping that would make it as it seemed their hearts were in the right place. I was considering helping them smooth out the text if it was needed but there are far more talented than I whom they could probably get. Hope you guys find another avenue for funding.

You decide. Quickly. Either posting the new thread NOW, with missing vote pictures and, again, no contests (but I'll edit them in later) or wait another 4-5 hours for the next thread to go up (because I'll need to leave for a while)? If no one answers within the next few minutes, I'll decide on the 4-5 hours option.

Wait.

Mudo

I just started going through the OP today so I'll be too late to vote for June, but I just played Fragments of Him, and it hit me really, really hard. What an amazing experience. Sorta speechless right now but I wanted to post something about it since I just finished...

Patience is a virtue. I await the full Toma experience.

Toma

Posts too long. Again. Wonderful.

(Props to whoever gets the reference)

Played some more of Spring, with a controller this time, and the game seems like a lot of fun - it appears as if you have control of just rain, wind and lightning, although whether further powers become available I don't know.

Looks great! You might want to edit that post to add a link for increased exposure. It's probably not entirely easy to look for a game called "Spring".

I would mega recommend this if anyone is even slightly into tower defense or strategy RPG games. It is rather fantastic.

Tried the online demo, bought it. It's funny because while it does nothing particularly innovative per se, its polish and charm are entirely worth the 5$ even though I have lots of tower defense games untouched.

Toma

Looks great! You might want to edit that post to add a link for increased exposure. It's probably not entirely easy to look for a game called "Spring"

And while we are at it.. the game is actually called Storm and I'll link it in the next thread which is going up in a few minutes.

Top Bottom