• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

KuroNeeko

Evilot:
Phares-Peak.jpg
So after seeing Toma's mention of Evilot a few posts up, I decided to check it out. Man, oh man, am I glad I did.

You're looking at a lane-style (ala Plants vs. Zombies) Tower Defense title that mashes in Triple Town-like elements where you can line up similar units to morph them into more powerful units. For example, line up three rats either horizontally or vertically to create a giant rat. Line up three giant rats to get a wererat. Line up 3? wererats to call the Pied Piper who will arrive like a Guardian Force straight out of Final Fantasy to wipe the board clear of enemies (and turn monsters into rat cards that you can use to place more rat units!)

It's a ridonkulous amount of fun. I've only played the first 9 levels so far, but if it holds up I'll probably make an OT for it.

The atmosphere and art oozes charm and you can tell a lot of love went into it. It may lack a little in polish, but I'm enjoying it a ton so far. Definitely worth the 187円 ($2.00) price tag.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Hm? I just played the demo during the last few days and have never commented on it. You mentioning it was as good a reason as any :p It creeped me out how normal things can look VERY creepy just by being warped a bit, I was somewhat expecting to have someone walking behind me all the time.

Evilot:

So after seeing Toma's mention of Evilot a few posts up, I decided to check it out. Man, oh man, am I glad I did.

You're looking at a lane-style (ala Plants vs. Zombies) Tower Defense title that mashes in Triple Town-like elements where you can line up similar units to morph them into more powerful units. For example, line up three rats either horizontally or vertically to create a giant rat. Line up three giant rats to get a wererat. Line up 3? wererats to call the Pied Piper who will arrive like a Guardian Force straight out of Final Fantasy to wipe the board clear of enemies (and turn monsters into rat cards that you can use to place more rat units!)

It's a ridonkulous amount of fun. I've only played the first 9 levels so far, but if it holds up I'll probably make an OT for it.

The atmosphere and art oozes charm and you can tell a lot of love went into it. It may lack a little in polish, but I'm enjoying it a ton so far. Definitely worth the 187円 ($2.00) price tag.

Thanks for checking it out :) Will certainly give it a try too.

Feel free to use my thread template if you feel a bit lazy (just copy the one from the Sentinel or Ballpoint Universe thread). I decided to not put even MORE time into threads that get possibly ignored so easily :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, UnEpic is worth it? I honestly can't get a read on whether I'd like it or not.

Well, it does have a free demo to try:
http://www.unepicgame.com/en/downloads.html

And I consider the game VERY much worth it, like all the games I create threads for. Unepic is one of the next threads I am going to make because it sure as hell deserves it, especially with the tons of new features in the Steam version. The gameplay is very, very good too, in case you dont know because you didnt try the demo yet.

Toma

Btw, did anyone play Nowhere?

Btw, did anyone play Nowhere?

Wait, that's playable? I only saw the video of it on IndieDB.

ih0H11Iouujnp.gif

Oh, you mean early alpha? I don't like playing early versions of games and this one costs 15 Euros, and I just read this off their actual website:

When will NOWHERE be released?

Short answer: when it's done™. Long answer: turning a game into something amazing takes care and above all, time. As NOWHERE is developed independently, we can afford the luxury of being able to release the game whenever we feel like it. That said, we estimate the beta release for somewhere around 2014, with the final game arriving early 2015.

So, I can wait XD

Toma

Wait, that's playable? I only saw the video of it on IndieDB.

ih0H11Iouujnp.gif

Oh, you mean early alpha? I don't like playing early versions of games and this one costs 15 Euros, and I just read this off their actual website:

So, I can wait XD

Yeah, I was just going through the june games list and updated impressions on 25 games or so in the GameReviewAnalysis program and looked at a few games I didnt try yet.15€ is too much to just blindly buy into it for me, but I figured someone else might have tried it.

Dascu

:)

I was afraid people wouldn't like the minimal cel-shaded look. And to clarify, the name is purely inspired by the region in Dante's Inferno. Not the Spawn character (or the heavy metal band, apparently).

I was afraid people wouldn't like the minimal cel-shaded look. And to clarify, the name is purely inspired by the region in Dante's Inferno. Not the Spawn character (or the heavy metal band, apparently).

You just reminded me of that amazingly bad Spawn movie and the Malebolgia in it.

Malebolgia_%26_his_Hellspawn_army.jpg

Hofmann

Horror is not my favourite genre, because I'm a wuss when it comes to it, but I'm really looking forward to Malebolgia - the style and the setting alone has bought me.

And you might be interested in discussion on player failures in games: http://notgames.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=572c43a059513f80dba6c21eb8bb4846&topic=754.0.
Thomas Grip the creator of Amnesia wrote a few things on this problem in the context of horror games. There is more on his twitter account, if you find it helpful in your work.

Toma

It looks sooooo good. I think it also has a bit to do with the fact that we havent seen too many 3D celshaded games lately, so you definitely should capitalize on that style because its certainly your strongest selling point atm. Also make some/more Gifs.

It looks sooooo good. I think it also has a bit to do with the fact that we havent seen too many 3D celshaded games lately, so you definitely should capitalize on that style because its certainly your strongest selling point atm. Also make some/more Gifs.

Yes, more Jiffies!

Didn't play much, but what I played was gooood :)

Votes!

Gunpoint
Little Inferno
No one has to Die
Fragments of him
Potato Dungeon

Great stuff came out of Ludum dare this year. I also really liked "Gods will be watching" even if it wasn't in the list.

Dascu

And you might be interested in discussion on player failures in games: http://notgames.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=572c43a059513f80dba6c21eb8bb4846&topic=754.0.
Thomas Grip the creator of Amnesia wrote a few things on this problem in the context of horror games. There is more on his twitter account, if you find it helpful in your work.
Grip says a lot of interesting things about horror game design, and I agree with most of it. I fear he sometimes pushes narrative and immersion a bit too strongly over gameplay, but generally I like the proverbial cut of his jib. He definitely has a good point in enemy design: high intensity encounters, but low frequency. Solid way of making the player very frightened of enemies, without making them predictable or death frustratingly common.

Malebolgia is taking the rather standard route: If you die, you get reset at the latest checkpoint. Enemies will be a mix of very threatening and uncommon, with common but non-threatening. I was originally only going to go for the former, but I find it more enjoyable to have multiple enemy types. Good for variety and even atmosphere to hear some weaker enemies shuffle about every now and then.

I do have several ideas for a hypothetical next project (FYI imagine Silent Hill x Kentucky Route Zero). And this one would involve "player death" also as a narrative instrument, where you can basically complete the game, even by dying at every enemy encounter. But that's a loooong way off, if ever.

gabbo

Hm? I just played the demo during the last few days and have never commented on it. You mentioning it was as good a reason as any :p It creeped me out how normal things can look VERY creepy just by being warped a bit, I was somewhat expecting to have someone walking behind me all the time.

I just didn't understand what you meant, but you cleared it up.
I agree. at two feet tall, everything takes on a much more sinister quality in the dark..

Hofmann

Malebolgia is taking the rather standard route: If you die, you get reset at the latest checkpoint.

I do have several ideas for a hypothetical next project (FYI imagine Silent Hill x Kentucky Route Zero). And this one would involve "player death" also as a narrative instrument, where you can basically complete the game, even by dying at every enemy encounter. But that's a loooong way off, if ever.

I suppose doing a horror/suspense game is a tough job from this perspective, because the sense of threat is directly related to player's failure - it's difficult to keep this illusion for a longer time without punishing player from time to time.

Oh boy, I hope Malebolgia becomes successful, so you can fulfill your vision.

Hofmann

I still have no clue how they pulled that off. It's an amazing visual effect.

Hell yeah.

Hey mainstream devs, thats how you should reward a player, so satisfying, and not by including some pointless achievements and other similar meta-elements.

Copenap

So, UnEpic is worth it? I honestly can't get a read on whether I'd like it or not.

Of course I can't say weither you'll like it or not but I just played my first two hours and absolutely love it. Fantastic and for that price you don't even have to wait for the upcoming summer sale imo.

That looks really cool, loving all the odd crude computer interfaces and distorted robot noises. More games need usable in-world computers. Hard Reset gave me a taste for them.
Hard Reset, That's what the menus were reminding me of!

My most anticipated horror game, then comes Amnesia 2 and others.

I can imagine Routine becoming a massive hit.

My most anticipated horror game, then comes Amnesia 2 and others.

Mines still Among the Sleep. I was a very imaginative child so something about a game which explores the potential horror that children can experience really resonates with me. Although Routine still looks potentially amazing and Amnesia 2 should be a juggernaut. It's a good time to be a fan of the games which go boo.

Mines still Among the Sleep. I was a very imaginative child so something about a game which explores the potential horror that children can experience really resonates with me. Although Routine still looks potentially amazing and Amnesia 2 should be a juggernaut. It's a good time to be a fan of the games which go boo.

Yeah, the demo was great. It would be my 3rd most anticipated :D

It's kind of genius how the lower perspective works perfectly, because now coat racks actually look creepy like in real life when you were young. Those drawers in the kitchens, I thought for sure something was going to pop out.

Toma

You know have the power to invite others. :)

Can I just do it once when I set it up or later whenever I want to? I currently have the "Make an access for the game and invite others" screen open and I am waiting for someone to tell me his mail address.

Did you play already? Whats your opinion?

Wok

Can I just do it once when I set it up or later whenever I want to? I currently have the "Make an access for the game and invite others" screen open and I am waiting for someone to tell me his mail address.

You can do it several times, do not worry.

Did you play already? Whats your opinion?

I am still struggling to remember the rules, but I will give it a try soon.

Toma

You can do it several times, do not worry.

I am still struggling to remember the rules, but I will give it a try soon.

Wellllllllllllllllll...

if you are looking for someone...

I mean...

SOMEONE...

:p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Votes votes votes

Among the Sleep - Haven't spent much time with what's out there but I find the general idea of being a child in first person horror could offer some very unique frights in terms of perspective.

Cry of Fear - Sort of dissolved from atmospheric horror into a bit of silliness halfway through, I feel like the first half is worth experiencing for sure. Looks great for a Half Life 1 mod title and packs on the tension before too many weapons and enemies spoil the dish.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - Need to spend time with this one on the PC, but the blend of action combat, slick platforming and metroidvania exploration is fresh and must be experienced. Simply stunning in motion.

Gunpoint - Hilarious take on Noir trappings with tight and responsive mechanics. Speedrunning stages with new toys is extremely addicting and the between-mission banter always got me laughing. I can't wait for Tom to get Steam Workshop in place to make sharing user levels a breeze as I think it has some serious legs for longevity once that gets put in.

The Swapper - I've been dawdling over this clone puzzler for the past week. The platform puzzler aspect is one of the most fluid in the genre by far and I never felt frustrated trying to understand what esoteric combination of duplicates and movements would lead me to the cheese at the end of the maze. The story got me thinking as well, which is pretty impressive for a little game such as itself. For some reason though, I feel like something was missing and I haven't been able to identify what it is about The Swapper that makes me hesitate to call it "great".

The Yawhg - Supremely charming CYOA RPG-lite multiplayer title. This game begs to be played in good company, and shifting company as well. There's a limit to the number of events but there's also a level of intricacy in the writing and decisionmaking that really wowed me. Every place i've busted the game out at has led to it being a hit. Grab it, drag a copy on a USB stick to your next game night hangout and have everyone gather round.

Toma

Sure, it is just that I am a bit busy this week.

Me too actually, so no biggie. The game will still be there to be played next week I guess.

Techies

The Vote:
Dust, an Elysian Tail
Can't help it, just looking at the vids and reviews, it feels like I'm playing it. This game is simply gorgeous and something I'd personally buy down the line.

Gunpoint
Played the demo, finished the demo, felt way too short, wants it badly now. Hacking, spider crawling, jumping and punching guards in the face while ignoring the pain gravity normally inflicts. Sold.

Little Inferno
It has charm, and you get to burn stuff and watch interesting stuff happens. Just an interesting way to pass the time. Still wondering where those 30 minutes went...

Swapper
Does this game even need an introduction?

Upcoming (not count as vote):

Rooks Keep
Chess + Melee Arena game.
Loving just about everything about it, from the combat, to the graphics and amount of customization in it. Feels like Rune and UT all over to me. Gamepad/LAN/Mod/Mapping support, it's all there and it's all polished. For instance if you want to play with a gamepad you just press a button on the gamepad, and the GUI instantly changes to fit the gamepad, press a mouse button and your back to Keyboard and Mouse controls with the GUI again being adjusted. On a Technical level it's hard to fault this game.Crazy Hotel
Tried the Alpha, and was pretty impressed, also has an unique charm to it. I just like how the characters are drawn, how they move and the cartoonish moments.
The "puzzle" of the demo was extremely well thought off (and creative), the ending also made me giggle.

Toma

Rooks Keep
Chess + Melee Arena game.
Loving just about everything about it, from the combat, to the graphics and amount of customization in it. Feels like Rune and UT all over to me. Gamepad/LAN/Mod/Mapping support, it's all there and it's all polished. For instance if you want to play with a gamepad you just press a button on the gamepad, and the GUI instantly changes to fit the gamepad, press a mouse button and your back to Keyboard and Mouse controls with the GUI again being adjusted. On a Technical level it's hard to fault this game.

Little Inferno
It has charm, and you get to burn stuff and watch interesting stuff happens. Just an interesting way to pass the time. Still wondering where those 30 minutes went...

Crazy Hotel
Tried the Alpha, and was pretty impressed, also has an unique charm to it. I just like how the characters are drawn, how they move and the cartoonish moments.
The "puzzle" of the demo was extremely well thought off (and creative), the ending also made me giggle.

Swapper
Does this game even need an introduction?

In case this is your voting post, neither Crazy Hotel, nor Rooks Keep were up for Voting this month. See post 666 for this months voting list.

Techies

In case this is your voting post, neither Crazy Hotel, nor Rooks Keep were up for Voting this month. See post 666 for this months voting list.

Ok Crazy Hotel, lots of references to demo in-game, forgot it was alpha. My bad.

Although shouldn't Rooks Keep count, it's actually been released this month, think the June 14th already, June 19th on Desura.

Or do you start at middle of month or something, just assumed it would be there when I read games released during June.

Toma

Ok Crazy Hotel, lots of references to demo in-game, forgot it was alpha. My bad.

Although shouldn't Rooks Keep count, it's actually been released this month, think the June 14th already, June 19th on Desura.

Or do you start at middle of month or something, just assumed it would be there when I read games released during June.

I decided to give every game the 30 days of spotlight before each voting (Giving a game less days than the others in a voting thread seemed unfair to me, especially since most people only check the OP during the first few days of the month), meaning that games released during a month are usually being put in the thread that comes after. Crazy Hotel will be in the next thread too.

Techies

I decided to give every game the 30 days of spotlight before each voting, meaning that games released during a month are usually being put in the thread that comes after. Crazy Hotel will be in the next thread too.

That kinda makes sense. Thx for the explanation.

PS. Can we vote on games purely based on a GIF?
I simply can't get over that Dust: An Elysian Tail post...

Toma

That kinda makes sense. Thx for the explanation.

Plenty of other great games on the list though, you should check out some of the other demos/free games.

CzarTim

I've been playing Card Hunter beta. It's a F2P Browser-Based TBS game with some CCG elements thrown in. It's presented as if you are playing a tabletop RPG, which seems to be a recent trend. I think this is the third game that I've seen do that this year.

In the game you have three characters, each of which draw cards which act as actions. For example, in order to move a character, it has to draw a movement card for you to play. Same with dealing damage, healing, etc.

The catch is all the cards for each character are tied to the equipment he wears. So a weapon equipped adds a certain number of damage spell cards to the draw pile. That way you need to upgrade your equipment as you play to get better stats. Equipment is either available in the store or as loot after matches.

The F2P stuff seems pretty well done. I have not played Multiplayer yet, so not sure how that works, but in singleplayer you can pay roughly $10 a month to get an extra piece of loot after each mission. You can also straight up exchange the pay currency for ingame money. Certainly an advantage, but not mandatory (at least so far). I really need to check out MP before judging either way.

Overall it's solid fun. Not sure if I want to sink money into it (like most F2P games, I find myself wishing I could pay once and have everything).

Guys, would you be interested in trying Chess the Gathering? If so, PM me your email address.

I've also given it a download, looks rather interesting and I've got a lot of time for the Virus Names Tom dev. Rather surprised I got a steam version so soon, I know there are other alpha games on steam but none seem this early in development, so good on Valve. Should have PMed you email and steam name.

Wok

I've also given it a download, looks rather interesting and I've got a lot of time for the Virus Names Tom dev. Rather surprised I got a steam version so soon, I know there are other alpha games on steam but none seem this early in development, so good on Valve. Should have PMed you email and steam name.

Toma has a copy too. Hopefully, we will understand the rules and give the prototype a go. Maybe next week for me.

Toma

Toma has a copy too. Hopefully, we will understand the rules and give the prototype a go. Maybe next week for me.

Rules dont seem that hard tbh.

3 different pieces:
1. The King
2. The bishop
3. The rook

You need to move 1 piece every turn, after that you can summon a card, which is either a spell or a creature. You can summon only in the line of sight of one of the king.

The first one to kick another kings butt wins.

Top Bottom