• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clip Studio Paint (illustration software) on sale for $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brushes don't feel right on a Mac, even after setting the brush priority as recommended to fix some heavy lag.

Is there anything else you're supposed to set in standard brush settings?

I found that brush setting 6 worked the best for me on OSX. I have no idea what that does, but it cleared up my lag problem immediately.

Also, closing any unnecessary background programs.

iddqd

Thanks for the heads up!
I use MangaStudio for all my Nickelodeon Comics and I had no clue they were related.
Will try the demo!

I have manga studio 4 lying around someplace, and while I liked the tools, file export was extremely limited (JPG and PSD only iirc.)

Is that remedied in this version, or do I have to use Gimp to rexport from the PSD?

Manga Studio 4 has nothing to do with Manga Studio 5/Clip Studio Paint. Smith Micro switched to Clip Studio Paint for MS5 from whatever they were using for MS4.

I'm tempted to buy this but my "tablet" is just a Lenovo Y70 touchscreen laptop. Fairly powerful for a laptop but I dunno if that's what the touchscreen is intended for. Might it be worth it? (i know nothing of drawing software, I just do pencil + scan stuff)

I'm tempted to buy this but my "tablet" is just a Lenovo Y70 touchscreen laptop. Fairly powerful for a laptop but I dunno if that's what the touchscreen is intended for. Might it be worth it? (i know nothing of drawing software, I just do pencil + scan stuff)

You need something with a pen. Y70 is touch only.

Hero

With Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700 going for $800 with Core M7, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD, and most importantly the Wacom AES pen, I can't bring myself to recommend the SP4 for art for several hundred more.

First issue is the value. To get 8GB of RAM, you need to spend over $1200, usually over $1300 for SP4. Also the keyboard is separate purchase and too expensive IMO. Miix 700 KB is not as good, but it's serviceable and comes with the unit.

Second issue is pen. The new pen for SP4 is step forward and step back. The interchangeable tips are nice, but taking one of the barrel buttons and sticking on the back as eraser was terrible for art. Before, you could use the second barrel button as eraser with pressure sensitivity of the tip. Now you have an on/off eraser on the back. Stupid...

Also the initial insertion force of the tip on the N-Trig pens are not as good as Wacom tips. You can definitely feel how much harder you have to press on the tip to get the ink flowing.

Obviously the PS4 is a better built device than Miix 700, but I don't think it's $500 better for similar capability of the hardware, and for art, AES is much better than Duo Sense 2.

Interesting. Thank you for that breakdown! Is there a successor to the Miix 700 around the corner?

Gattsu25

Banned
Thanks for this heads up. Picked up a copy for myself and one for my sister along with a bamboo tablet (birthday gifts).

Raguel

Bought the ex version cause I want the comic book management features. I already have a bamboo but i want to find a tablet and/or build a massive pc rig. Can't wait to try it.

Prax

I had Manga Studio EX for at least a couple of years now, I think. I still need to make an official switch to it, but I'm really bad with moving onto new programs (I'm still stuck with SAI right now because it's simpler even though VERY no frills -- I also use JASC's Paint Shop Pro 7 way too much despite it being obsolete).

Glad I came across the thread though and found out I could get a free update for MS5 EX that turns it into Clip Studio Paint EX officially. :D

Now to figure out.. how to re-input all the brushes I downloaded a year or more ago..

I know everyone loves using touch tablets for some reason, but is it really that much better than just an Intuos? I guess that would be my next major purchase goal if so.

I had Manga Studio EX for at least a couple of years now, I think. I still need to make an official switch to it, but I'm really bad with moving onto new programs (I'm still stuck with SAI right now because it's simpler even though VERY no frills -- I also use JASC's Paint Shop Pro 7 way too much despite it being obsolete).

Glad I came across the thread though and found out I could get a free update for MS5 EX that turns it into Clip Studio Paint EX officially. :D

Now to figure out.. how to re-input all the brushes I downloaded a year or more ago..

I know everyone loves using touch tablets for some reason, but is it really that much better than just an Intuos? I guess that would be my next major purchase goal if so.

For painting, Intuos is fine, and arguable better since your hand is not in the way. But for drawing, Intuos cannot compare to drawing directly on the screen IMO.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how long are the download links available for? If you don't pay extra for the 'vault' option, you just get plain download links. I'd rather not have to upload the installers to my onedrive space.

Stencil

Well, shit. I experience major lag when using my Intuos Wacom Pro Medium tablet with this program. It only happens when I'm using the brush but it seems like the longer the input (drawing a line, for example) the more delayed it becomes, which is incredibly frustrating. Anyone else experience this?

EDIT:
I found that brush setting 6 worked the best for me on OSX. I have no idea what that does, but it cleared up my lag problem immediately.

Also, closing any unnecessary background programs.

Perfect, changing the Tablet priority to 6 in preferences worked like a charm. Phew!

Luigi87

Glad to see people buying this. I bought it last Fall after a friend recommended it to me, and I absolutely adore using it on my SP4.

Stencil

Quick test sketch. I took no time coloring but can already see that there is a lot of potential. Love the way the pencil tool looks.
CCqEs9N.jpg

Ran rp

Yep, Frenden is what I use. Super versatile imo

Did all of these with the Frenden inks pack and the Frenden wet media pack.

I highly recommend this software and for $20 it's a great price. Once I started getting used to it I never went back to anything else.

Here's a couple things I recently drew in Clip Studio:

oo, nice.

For painting, Intuos is fine, and arguable better since your hand is not in the way. But for drawing, Intuos cannot compare to drawing directly on the screen IMO.

what about parallax? is the gap annoying?

Prax

PSY・S;208592386 said:
oo, nice.

what about parallax? is the gap annoying?

I assume you just get used to the parallax and whatever input lag there might be just like you would with weird proportional differences between Intuos active area and the monitor, but yeah.. I am very slow at acclimating to new workflows, so I haven't truly embraced the idea of owning a Cintiq/tablet either.

Surface Book owner here...How it is on the surfaces?

I have a i5/8GB SP4 and it runs fine other than a weird bug where it sometimes doesn't want to save the file. I'm still figuring out how to use it so haven't really used any advanced functions yet though.

So far I like it a lot. I'm having some trouble drawing steady lines on it but I do like how the brushed feel.

You need to learn to make faster strokes. Slow steady strokes are Kryptonite for most of these electro static based pens.

I don't know if it's the pen. I've been using Sketchbook Pro up until now and don't have a problem getting steady lines with that. The brushes definitely feel different from SBP and I've only been using CSP for like 2 hours total now, so I think it's just a matter of readjustment.

Santini

FYI, flash sale at the U.S. distributors for Clip Studio Paint, Smith Micro. Expires today, so if you missed out on the deal at CELSYS, here's another chance.

$20 for the Pro version, and $87 for the EX version.

I have no idea what timezone the deal expires, so if you're on the fence, act quickly.

http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-5.html
http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-ex-5.html

https://twitter.com/SMSIGraphics/status/747842497070698499

This thread and software made me dust off my Wacom. Been having a blast with it. Thanks, OP!

I don't know if it's the pen. I've been using Sketchbook Pro up until now and don't have a problem getting steady lines with that. The brushes definitely feel different from SBP and I've only been using CSP for like 2 hours total now, so I think it's just a matter of readjustment.

Then just crank the "stabilization" setting for the brush you are using in CSP.

Stencil

Yeah this is pretty fun.

One of the selling points on the website is the line correction/stabilization. Is that a setting or is it automatic? Not sure if it's working as I had the impression it would.

auto-edit: nvm, shows me how right here on the Functions part of their website.

I can't recommend Manga Studio / Clip Studio Paint enough. I used to be big on Paint Tool Sai, and this replaced it for me thanks to having a really powerful brush engine.

I'm self-taught and mostly just dabble, but Clip Studio has been great for building a foundation on.

hunchback

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the Dell Inspiron 15 7568 but have a question.

Will I be able to play old game's on Steam? I'm thinking Roller coaster tycoon 2, Paradox game's turned down to low settings. The old Warhammer game's. Just strategy games, no FPS.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the Dell Inspiron 15 7568 but have a question.

Will I be able to play old game's on Steam? I'm thinking Roller coaster tycoon 2, Paradox game's turned down to low settings. The old Warhammer game's. Just strategy games, no FPS.

It only has Intel HD 520. Gaming laptop it is not. But old ass games should play OK.

Also, when looking for Inspiron 15 7568, make sure it's got the 1920x1080 screen. 4K screen one won't work with Wacom AES pen. And make sure to pair it with the "Wacom Bamboo Smart for Selected 2 in 1" pen.

Also, if you have noisy wall outlets in an older building, watch my video on combating palm rejection errors on giant 15" projected capacitive screens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8PjZ3PjFIA

hunchback

It only has Intel HD 520. Gaming laptop it is not. But old ass games should play OK.

Also, when looking for Inspiron 15 7568, make sure it's got the 1920x1080 screen. 4K screen one won't work with Wacom AES pen. And make sure to pair it with the "Wacom Bamboo Smart for Selected 2 in 1" pen.

Also, if you have noisy wall outlets in an older building, watch my video on combating palm rejection errors on giant 15" projected capacitive screens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8PjZ3PjFIA

Thank you for the info. I already ordered the pen that you suggested. I will definitely make sure the screen is the 1920x1080 and not the 4k.

You mentioned that you could upgrade this Dell. I'm assuming you mean I can upgrade the RAM and hard drive if I want? Would 16 gigs of RAM have that much of a boost?

Thank you for the info. I already ordered the pen that you suggested. I will definitely make sure the screen is the 1920x1080 and not the 4k.

You mentioned that you could upgrade this Dell. I'm assuming you mean I can upgrade the RAM and hard drive if I want? Would 16 gigs of RAM have that much of a boost?

You can very easily upgrade the RAM and HDD/SSD (2.5") on the Inspiron 15. 16GB isn't probably necessary. Try the 8GB and watch if you ever page the hard drive while working. But the SSD is very much a necessity IMO. If your 7568 comes with spinning platter, definitely upgrade to a nice size 2.5" SSD.

hunchback

You can very easily upgrade the RAM and HDD/SSD (2.5") on the Inspiron 15. 16GB isn't probably necessary. Try the 8GB and watch if you ever page the hard drive while working. But the SSD is very much a necessity IMO. If your 7568 comes with spinning platter, definitely upgrade to a nice size 2.5" SSD.

Thanks Shogmaster, I ordered the Dell today and will report back once I get it and test it out. Your help has been invaluable.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Can anyone recommend any good tutorials for this software?

Sorry for the necro-bump (it's not on sale now), but I had completely forgotten that I'd purchased this, though I kind of want to get back into drawing. I too would be interested in tutorials, and though I see they have plenty of video tutorials on the website, I strangely tend to prefer plain text and pictures.

I'm already quite familiar with Photoshop and other programs like Painter, so layers and that sort of thing are easy. I noticed that CSP doesn't seem to have the menu that lets you undo a whole bunch of actions at once.

holy bump batman

CSP is not meant for batch photo manipulation. It's meant for line work and painting.

But you can access History via Window tab. Also continuous undo goes back in time as well.

holy bump batman

CSP is not meant for batch photo manipulation. It's meant for line work and painting.

But you can access History via Window tab. Also continuous undo goes back in time as well.

Hey Shog, do you know if it's possible to fade an operation in CSP? In photoshop, you can do this with ctrl+shft+f. Works on most operations. Pretty handy for painting.

We should probably have a CSP/Manga Studio OT for this kind of stuff, I guess

Hey Shog, do you know if it's possible to fade an operation in CSP? In photoshop, you can do this with ctrl+shft+f. Works on most operations. Pretty handy for painting.

We should probably have a CSP/Manga Studio OT for this kind of stuff, I guess

Nothing similar that I'm aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom