• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

jfoul

I use them, but with a few tweaks, I'd say they are a good starting point, then play around to your liking. 0 sharpness is not something I'd recommend though, have mine on 15.

Anyone else's Smart remote turn on their Xbox?

Yeah, it can be set pretty easily to control the Xbox by accident. Holding the back button to close an app would usually turn on my Xbox one. Even with the remote not set to control my Xbox, it still randomly turns on if I don't do a full shutdown in the Xbox one power options. Some times I just unplug the power until I use it. Real pain in the ass.

With that said, the remote works really well with navigating the Xbox One if you choose to use it.

Edit - I think if your Xbox One is set to power on by selecting the input in the source menu, it automatically controls the console (ARC Power)

MilkyJoe

Yeah, it can be set pretty easily to control the Xbox by accident. Holding the back button to close an app would usually turn on my Xbox one. Even with the remote not set to control my Xbox, it still randomly turns on if I don't do a full shutdown in the Xbox one power options. Some times I just unplug the power until I use it. Real pain in the ass.

With that said, the remote works really well with navigating the Xbox One if you choose to use it.

Edit - I think if your Xbox One is set to power on by selecting the input in the source menu, it automatically controls the console (ARC Power)

Thanks for this, can i use the smart remote as a remote to play blu rays on the xbox one?

Yoday

I use them, but with a few tweaks, I'd say they are a good starting point, then play around to your liking. 0 sharpness is not something I'd recommend though, have mine on 15.

Anyone else's Smart remote turn on their Xbox?
Yes, the Xbox has IR, and it's a recognized device by the TV, so pushing power on the remote sends that command to the Xbox as well. Oddly enough Power Off doesn't always work. You have limited control of the Xbox with the remote too.

I gotta say, despite some complaining on my side about the software, this TV is fucking amazing and I've been using it virtually every single day and I still can't get used to how good everything looks. Modern BDs and 4k streams off Netflix are crazy. Games look amazing and run with no noticable input lag. Fantastic TV and I'm glad I got it before the prices surged.

MilkyJoe

I gotta say, despite some complaining on my side about the software, this TV is fucking amazing and I've been using it virtually every single day and I still can't get used to how good everything looks. Modern BDs and 4k streams off Netflix are crazy. Games look amazing and run with no noticable input lag. Fantastic TV and I'm glad I got it before the prices surged.

As rare as rocking horse shit here, I can't believe it's discontinued.

Just watched my Alien Covenant 4K UHD last night... Fucking jaw dropping at times. The movie kinda sucked but I was glued to the screen the whole time just because of the amazing picture the KS8000 puts out. Love this TV. I've had it for 6 or 7 months now and it's no less amazing than the day I got it.

Heel

I went back to my old 1080p TV after a few months and appreciated the difference a lot more than I did at first, and that was on a 1080p game. The input lag is a "I can't go back" feature, haha.

Symphonia

Banned
Just watched my Alien Covenant 4K UHD last night... Fucking jaw dropping at times. The movie kinda sucked but I was glued to the screen the whole time just because of the amazing picture the KS8000 puts out. Love this TV. I've had it for 6 or 7 months now and it's no less amazing than the day I got it.
Vudu has a great selection of 4K UHD titles. Guardians 2, in particular, looks bloody brilliant.

Robiin

How the fuck do you guys manage HDMI inputs?

I have:
TV box
PS4 Pro
Wii U
Switch
Laptop

I even bought a Wireless soundbar to avoid more cables. And I want to buy a UHD Blu-Ray player but I despise cables...

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
Yeah I really wish you could get a One Connect box with twice the number of HDMI inputs.

I've got:

HDMI 1: PS4 Pro
HDMI 2: Cable TV box
HDMI 3: UHD Blu-ray player
HDMI 4: Soundbar - used via HDMI ARC - also has a Wii U and a Steam Link connected via HDMI passthrough and an HDMI auto-switcher

It's the kind of setup that actively puts me off getting (say) an Xbox 1X as that would be another 4K device and I'd have to buy an expensive HDMI switcher that supports 4K/HDR in order to double it up with one of the existing inputs.

Don't even mention the forest of cables the above setup requires. If my wife ever leaves me it will probably be because of those cables.

philm87

I have:
TV box
PS4 Pro
Wii U
Switch
Laptop

I even bought a Wireless soundbar to avoid more cables. And I want to buy a UHD Blu-Ray player but I despise cables...

Put it in an accessible place? Get some sort of switch?

Gorger

So I have done even further extensive testing on my 65'' KS8000 and I must say I am still struggling with grain/noise issues. In some scenes, even on Netflix through the PS4 Pro it's so noisy it looks like an army of ants have infested the TV and is crawling all over it. This persist even on 4k content (Yes, I have upgraded my Netflix subscription) including new shows like Ozark. I have replaced the HDMI cables with new ones designed for 4k content, but that didn't do anything. I have tried tweaking the calibration issues with countless of different combinations and looked at guides, but it's still there.

I have no problems with video games, they look spectacular. Watching 4k Youtube test videos looks absolutely breathtaking. Watching Game of Thrones on HBO on the other hand looks horrid, but if I use 4gb versions through Kodi it looks crystal clear.

I have done test comparisons on two different standard 1080p 55'' TV's on various shows on Netflix and I must say it's handling the grain on various darker scenes much better than the KS8000.

I refuse to believe that what I am seeing is intended, so I am thinking as a last resort that it might be something wrong with the One Connect box. I have read that people have been experiencing faulty devices and that might impact video quality. Is there any way you can buy a cheap one anywhere just so I can test it for improvements before I send it back for repair or replacement?

I love this TV so much, but the grain/noise is just killing my enjoyment out of it. How bad is the grain/noise for you guys?

This is going to sound dumb but how do I view Horizon in HDR on this? If I just go to the game options it says that my TV doesn't support it. Is that the case or is it something else? I'm just using a regular PS4 slim (not pro). Is that the issue? Or the HDMI cable? Or the settings of something else?

Edit: Nevermind I got it I think

Samus4145

This is going to sound dumb but how do I view Horizon in HDR on this? If I just go to the game options it says that my TV doesn't support it. Is that the case or is it something else? I'm just using a regular PS4 slim (not pro). Is that the issue? Or the HDMI cable? Or the settings of something else?

Make sure that UHD, I think it's called that, is turned on for the HDMI port on the TV. Also make sure you have HDR turned on in the PS4 OS menus.

Belker

I love this TV so much, but the grain/noise is just killing my enjoyment out of it. How bad is the grain/noise for you guys?

I think it would be useful for you, or maybe more useful for us, if you compare the same content using apps on your TV and then apps on the PS4.

That way you can say

YouTube app on TV, HDR video - no grain

YouTube app on PS4 Pro, HDR video - grain

I get some, but maybe I'm not as troubled it. Or perhaps it's not severe enough for me to worry about it.

I'm struggling to understand why it would be the One Connect Box, since the issues you're describing appear to be based on the source.

Ogawa-san

I refuse to believe that what I am seeing is intended
It actually is. Most(?) video content has "film grain", even on purpose. The closer you sit to the screen / the bigger it is, the more obvious the effect is, hence why some people might not notice it as much.

You can try decreasing sharpness (if it's not at 0 already), also Digital Clean View helps a bit but doesn't eliminate it.

jfoul

Does anybody have issues with the PS4 Pro taking awhile to output an HDMI signal to this tv? Sometimes it takes like 20 seconds to output, sometimes longer, sometimes immediately. My pro didn't do this on my Panasonic plasma, and I'm using the factory cable. None of my other devices do this either. Seems like it might be an HDCP handshake offer lapsing.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does anybody have issues with the PS4 Pro taking awhile to output an HDMI signal to this tv? Sometimes it takes like 20 seconds to output, sometimes longer, sometimes immediately. My pro didn't do this on my Panasonic plasma, and I'm using the factory cable. None of my other devices do this either. Seems like it might be an HDCP handshake offer lapsing.
This happens to me like 10% of the time.

I have:
TV box
PS4 Pro
Wii U
Switch
Laptop

I'm still inside my limit:
cable TV box
PS4 Pro
PS3
one free waiting for my Switch

buenoblue

I'm having issues with clear motion after the latest update. Getting more Stutter and artifactcs. Tried to rest the tv with 0000 cde but says it's not correct. I haven't changed the code though.

Gorger

It actually is. Most(?) video content has "film grain", even on purpose. The closer you sit to the screen / the bigger it is, the more obvious the effect is, hence why some people might not notice it as much.

You can try decreasing sharpness (if it's not at 0 already), also Digital Clean View helps a bit but doesn't eliminate it.

I am not a fan of leaving sharpness on 0 I usually have it on 10-20, but even when it's on 0 it's not really noticeable when it comes to less grain/noise/static. Digital Clean View is a must for me, this actually does reduce the grain somewhat.

It's just frustrating to see the same scenes on an old 55'' 1080p TV and see much better handling of quality. Compared you can take normal scene with two people just talking outside when it's slightly dark, with the old TV it looks calm and clear, while on the KS8000 it looks like a war is going on in the background with mini ants battling each other. It's distracting and ugly to look at, and I want to reduce that noise as much as possible.

It's just really hard to track down the root of the problem, because some scenes even on the same show the quality looks absolutely pristine, and then when the scene change it's back to ugly noisy background.

MadFerIt

Netflix HDR content is some of the grainiest shit I've ever seen. Jessica Jones is absolutely terrible for it. I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

Honestly the Marvel stuff looked a lot better when it was just 4k UHD before suddenly all of the series were HDR. Sharpness of the video went down significantly.

Gorger

I have:
TV box
PS4 Pro
Wii U
Switch
Laptop

So far I have

- PS4 pro
- Mini Pc
- Receiver/Surround

But I can really see this becoming a problem when I start plugging in more gaming consoles. It should be a way to upgrade an updated version with 8 HDMI slots.

At least you can try and keep the one connect box in an easily accessible location so you can swap them out when needed. It's better than having to go and fiddle with the cables behind the TV.

laxu

Sometimes. Switching to Live TV (or any other input) and back to the PS4 HDMI fixes the issue.

Morts

Anyone have this TV just stop detecting a receiver for ARC? Sometimes it would default to the TV Speakers and I'd have to go into the TV audio settings and switch it back to HDMI, but starting yesterday that option just isn't on the Speaker Select menu anymore. I even went through the setup to have it detect the receiver on HDMI 4 again, and tried a different HDMI cable from TV to receiver.

Edit: Cycled my power strip and magically I can output sound to my receiver again. Weird.

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
Anyone have this TV just stop detecting a receiver for ARC? Sometimes it would default to the TV Speakers and I'd have to go into the TV audio settings and switch it back to HDMI, but starting yesterday that option just isn't on the Speaker Select menu anymore. I even went through the setup to have it detect the receiver on HDMI 4 again, and tried a different HDMI cable from TV to receiver.

Edit: Cycled my power strip and magically I can output sound to my receiver again. Weird.

Mine does this occasionally too. Just simply stops detecting anything over HDMI ARC and the only thing that brings it back to life is physically unplugging the TV and plugging it back in again.

Another one of the annoying little software glitches that seem to be an unavoidable fact of life when owning this TV.

Morts

Mine does this occasionally too. Just simply stops detecting anything over HDMI ARC and the only thing that brings it back to life is physically unplugging the TV and plugging it back in again.

Another one of the annoying little software glitches that seem to be an unavoidable fact of life when owning this TV.

I was maybe fifteen minutes away from buying a receiver with 4k passthrough when I finally got it working again. I didn't want tto watch Game of Thrones with just the TV speakers tonight.

My KS is showing some weird spots with a full black screen, after a few months of use. :(

Elaborating on this, when I bought my unit it looked absolutely perfect in this test from Rtings, now it looks remarkably close to their Sony X900E result:

x900e-uniformity-large.jpg

Just not so visible, but it's making me worried.

I was maybe fifteen minutes away from buying a receiver with 4k passthrough when I finally got it working again. I didn't want tto watch Game of Thrones with just the TV speakers tonight.

Just use an optical cable. Works every time. ARC is nothing but trouble in my experience.

fabrizio5680

Neo Member
This is starting to bug me, and I'm not sure what is causing it...

So the last 2-3 firmware updates I've noticed this. Soon as I do an update my colors look good, colors are vibrant but not saturated, I'm very happy with it.

A week or so in I start to notice colors start to wash out, to describe it's a similar effect to sun damage, to the point it starts to annoy me and mess with my head.. I had to adjust color to 65 to get a similar colors I know I'm happy with.

I notice this mostly in Game mode, not to say it doesn't affect the other modes/inputs. Settings are pretty straight forward.

KS7000 EU

SDR content

firmware: 1206
Backlight: 12
Contrast: 94
Color: 50 (normally) and 65 after several days
Color space: Auto
HMDI black: limited/low (ps4 pro)
everything else off..

Is anyone seeing this? on a side note NEVER had color separation until 1206, and since this firmware its happened 2-3 times in Pro Evo 2017 for split second.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I run everything through my receiver. I have an Onkyo receiver with 7 HDMI ports in the back and one in the front. They are all full but it gets the job done. I'm only using one port on the oneconnect box.

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing too! But I have a DENON receiver.

SkylineRKR

Arc works for me, that way I have surround sound over my tv broadcast and netflix through HDMI. I need to shut off hdmi receiver in the tv sound menu when i want to play on PS4 via optical. It doesn't change automatically. Otherwise it defaults to lpcm 2.0.

So, stupid question, is the UK KS8000 the same as the US KS9000?

The one with the big silver foot, yeah. I have that one.

LooseLips

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing too! But I have a DENON receiver.

See, so was I - and it was fine BUT the TV remembers settings for each input, so my Xbox would automatically have game mode and a few other changes I did enabled, each time I switch to it. When I was using my receiver, It was in effect only one input in the TV, so I'd have to manually do this every time. Unless I am missing something?

Now I just use ARC to my AV receiver for the surround sound...it feels a bit...wasted..

Has anyone in the US been able to get the 1206 firmware on the ks8000? The website stilll has the 1180 update, and I can't auto download either. Is it a good idea to do a factory reset once in a while when a new firmware drops (similar to a clean install for display drivers)?

Also, I have been having a ton of issues getting hdr to work on pc- it was working fine a few months back, now it just won't work at all. If I set hdr in game, the image is just washed out and the hdr badge doesn't show up. I fiddled with my graphics settings, switching between rgb and the 422, but no availe. The strange thing is if I switch my graphics settings to anything other than 8 bit color, it automatically sets hdr for everything including the desktop... it's frustrating. This is with a 980ti connected through Hdmi. I've heard some of these issues started sprouting up with a recent windows 10 update, but the option to select hdr in the windows display settings is always greyed out. Has anyone experience anything similar? Hdr on the pro/one s has been great...

noomi

Has anyone in the US been able to get the 1206 firmware on the ks8000? The website stilll has the 1180 update, and I can't auto download either. Is it a good idea to do a factory reset once in a while when a new firmware drops (similar to a clean install for display drivers)?

Nope, plenty of people on AVS forum still haven't received this update either.

Top Bottom