• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

When playing a hdr game on PS4 pro I get a pop up saying hdr is active. When playing an hdr 4K blu-ray on the Xbox one s I get no pop up. Is hdr working on the Xbox?

Played an HDR game (Episode Prompto) on my PS4 for the first time in ages, and I feel like I forgot everything regarding settings.

Some scenes look vibrant and wonderful, other looks kinda... muddled and grey.

When I press the PS button to go to the home screen, the entire menu is a little dim and grey in comparison. Was this always the case?

Black levels set to full/normal.

Special C

So some of my games looks awful on my new KS8000. This is original Xbox One. It's like something is messed up with the upscale. I have all the recommended settings right.

Path of Exile looks terrible.

philm87

Played an HDR game (Episode Prompto) on my PS4 for the first time in ages, and I feel like I forgot everything regarding settings.

Some scenes look vibrant and wonderful, other looks kinda... muddled and grey.

When I press the PS button to go to the home screen, the entire menu is a little dim and grey in comparison. Was this always the case?

Black levels set to full/normal.

Try cranking the colour up to 60-65.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Enabling hdr in lets say uncharted 4 lost legacy. I turn my backlight to 20 and leave my tv brightness to 50. Do i have to retweak the brightness ingame after i enable hdr?

I think only the backlight has to be re-enabled/changed back.

Just a passing word.

If you haven't played Life is Strange on your Ks7000/8000, give it a whirl, truly stunning.

Kind of an odd recommendation, but to each their own! I played Life is Strange on my KS8000, and it looks pretty nice, but there's about 100 games I'd recommend before even thinking about Life is Strange.

philm87

Does Life is Strange even have PS4 Pro support lmao

It does not. New one probably will. Looks pretty good with the up scaling, but not one I'd pick to show off the TV. Mass Effect (certain areas), Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, and Battlefield are the ones I'd pick on PS4 Pro. Battlefield 1 will look even better once they add HDR (fingers crossed).

philm87

Think it would be worth it to get the TV refurbished? 900 bucks for the 55 inch. Would work well with my pro.

Probably alright price if it doesn't have any screen damage. I got my european 49" K9000 for £820 last December refurbed, so thinking it should maybe be slightly lower. Check out ebay for refurbs, there's a couple of really good ebay TV refurb stores in the UK.

keldog777

Neo Member
Looks like I've finally resolved my PS4 pro screen flickering issue. Main board on the TV has been replaced and so far so good!!

Yoday

MS just announced a partnership with Samsung, and in that announcement Samsung mentioned a feature on their QLED TVs that allows you to say "game mode" into the remote, and the TV will change to optimized settings. This doesn't work on the KS8000. Is this specifically a 2017 feature, or is it a feature we can expect being added through firmware? Being able to adjust settings through voice would be a huge deal.

MS just announced a partnership with Samsung, and in that announcement Samsung mentioned a feature on their QLED TVs that allows you to say "game mode" into the remote, and the TV will change to optimized settings. This doesn't work on the KS8000. Is this specifically a 2017 feature, or is it a feature we can expect being added through firmware? Being able to adjust settings through voice would be a huge deal.

I'm not hopeful that this TV will get any more substantial updates. They can barely update this TV and when they do, it seems to get worse.

I don't even know if the KS8000 remote has voice capability. I generally don't like talking to electronics and even if I did, having that capability means the set is ending your voice back to the mothership. I'm pretty sure I turned all that stuff off when I first set up the TV, not that it guarantees they still aren't listening in.

I don't even know if the KS8000 remote has voice capability. I generally don't like talking to electronics and even if I did, having that capability means the set is ending your voice back to the mothership. I'm pretty sure I turned all that stuff off when I first set up the TV, not that it guarantees they still aren't listening in.

It does support voice commands

Belker

I mentioned previously how I have now dark horizontal bands on the TV. I thought it might have been because I tried to clean the screen with a tissue, but I'm not sure.

Weirdly, they are most prominent when I'm on the PS4 dashboard and using a red background. They almost seem to disappear when the dashboard changes to blue.

On that note, I get a kind of pulsing and shifting on that red background, especially in HDR.

Any idea what's going on? The bands are annoying, but not so severe in general use that I want to swap the TV.

reektann

I still find HDR massively underwhelming for some reason. Turned it on with Everybodys Golf on PS4 and it's just dim like Horizon was to me.

HDR has been really disappointing for me on literally all games.

Belker

I still find HDR massively underwhelming for some reason. Turned it on with Everybodys Golf on PS4 and it's just dim like Horizon was to me.

HDR has been really disappointing for me on literally all games.

Are you turning the brightness up to 20? You have to do it manually in game mode. The TV won't.

Horizon should look crackers in HDR, with bright and sharp shards of light when you're fighting machines and rich oranges and ochre at dawn.

MizzouRah

Looks like I've finally resolved my PS4 pro screen flickering issue. Main board on the TV has been replaced and so far so good!!

On mobile and accessing your post history isn't convenient, but are you referring to the issue where the screen will black out periodically when utilizing UHD mode on the HDMI port connected to your PS4? I'm dealing with the same issue and might need to suggest this to Samsung. Did you just utilize the request service function in the settings?

reektann

Are you turning the brightness up to 20? You have to do it manually in game mode. The TV won't.

Horizon should look crackers in HDR, with bright and sharp shards of light when you're fighting machines and rich oranges and ochre at dawn.

Yeah followed all the guides etc. It does work but it's noticeable dimmer. Have seen a couple others say the same As you see it in Horizon when it cuts to conversations. Even though dimming etc is off you see it dim.

philm87

Yeah followed all the guides etc. It does work but it's noticeable dimmer. Have seen a couple others say the same As you see it in Horizon when it cuts to conversations. Even though dimming etc is off you see it dim.

Cranking the colour setting up helps a lot to make it pop a bit more in hdr.

This is somewhat off topic but has anyone tried the steam link app on their Samsung tvs? I would love to lay on my bed and play my games on the tv instead of sitting on an uncomfortable chair on a 27" monitor.

I was browsing avsforum and someone has posted the link to download 1203:

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...09/20170905095011276/T-JZMAKUC.zip&OriginYN=N

Please note this came from the Samsung Korean website, but it works on the US KS8000 model (since South Korea and US share same model number). I just updated the TV myself and it works.

If you are tired of waiting for the auto-update from the TV, you can get it right meow.

hmm, im a little paranoid to try it. Why is this taking so long...

kmfdmpig

I was browsing avsforum and someone has posted the link to download 1203.6:

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...09/20170905095011276/T-JZMAKUC.zip&OriginYN=N

Please note this came from the Samsung Korean website, but it works on the US KS8000 model (since South Korea and US share same model number). I just updated the TV myself and it works.

If you are tired of waiting for the auto-update from the TV, you can get it right meow.

Any ideas about what has changed with this version?

nguyen704

hmm, im a little paranoid to try it. Why is this taking so long...

I was a bit wary myself before trying it, then I read that the firmware are digitally signed. Meaning that if the TV model does not match the firmware, it will refuse the update.

US site is just super slow to receive the new firmware.

nguyen704

Any ideas about what has changed with this version?

Sorry, I do not know the full details for this firmware. But some users are reporting snappier SmartHub experience and faster Wi-Fi speeds.

I have not had the chance to fully test this firmware so I can't comment on it ATM.

I like to live dangerously. I'll try it.

I don't think it would be harmful. After all it is coming from Samsung's own servers. Not a guarantee of course, but odds are it's safe.

EDIT - Safe as in not laced with malware. The firmware itself could introduce unwanted behavior of course. It's possible that Samsung hasn't released it in the US because of some known issue, but if that were true, one would think they would have pulled it from the other regional sites.

I don't think it would be harmful. After all it is coming from Samsung's own servers. Not a guarantee of course, but odds are it's safe.

EDIT - Safe as in not laced with malware. The firmware itself could introduce unwanted behavior of course. It's possible that Samsung hasn't released it in the US because of some known issue, but if that were true, one would think they would have pulled it from the other regional sites.

Eh, I got it and I'm in the US, so they're pushing it to some degree. However, I haven't noticed much difference either way.

tootie923

I installed 1203.6 on my US TV and it's working fine. I've installed Korean firmware in previous updates.

Is the curve 4k really worth it? Seems like pretty big price jumps just for a curve?

Unless you're seated fairly close and dead-center to the screen, there's not much point in it. The curved screen is just a gimmick. Some people like it. Some don't. Most probably don't care. I've tried curved TVs and personally it didn't bother my wife and I when we had them. We adjusted pretty quickly. The curve is gentle so at a distance it's not that noticeable unless you are trying to notice it. So my advice is to select your TV based on other factors and then decide flat or curved if both are available. If there is only a curved version of the model you want available don't let it dissuade you. I'd try it out.

Top Bottom