• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

I like to live dangerously. I'll try it.

I don't think it would be harmful. After all it is coming from Samsung's own servers. Not a guarantee of course, but odds are it's safe.

EDIT - Safe as in not laced with malware. The firmware itself could introduce unwanted behavior of course. It's possible that Samsung hasn't released it in the US because of some known issue, but if that were true, one would think they would have pulled it from the other regional sites.

yeah ill wait. If it had the HDR banner i might have but without it, its not worth the rush

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still find HDR massively underwhelming for some reason. Turned it on with Everybodys Golf on PS4 and it's just dim like Horizon was to me.

HDR has been really disappointing for me on literally all games.

HDR IS really disappointing on Everybody's Golf. It dims the screen and doesn't do much for anything else, even cranked to 20 backlight.

Horizon, though, looks amazing.

philm87

Is the curve 4k really worth it? Seems like pretty big price jumps just for a curve?

I got mine on refurb and it was only £30 for the curved so went for it. Suits the shape of my room as it has a better picture when viewing from an angle. Looks slightly different when your right in front also. Probably wouldn't have gone for it if it was too much more, but glad I did. Worth looking in a store.

philm87

HDR IS really disappointing on Everybody's Golf. It dims the screen and doesn't do much for anything else, even cranked to 20 brightness.

Horizon, though, looks amazing.

Think a lot of it depends how well the developer uses it and how well the game suits it. Generally I think it's better for more realistic games, though Ratchet and Clank is good. Mass Effect uses it well. Tried Battlefield 1 today after the update and the HDR is gorgeous.

Also think it's key to getting the tv settings right to get the most out of it. Dynamic Contrast should be off really, and I crank the colour to 65 to help it pop. Gamma on 1 or 2 can also help with the dullness. HDR can struggle in a bright room with any settings though.

Think a lot of it depends how well the developer uses it and how well the game suits it. Generally I think it's better for more realistic games, though Ratchet and Clank is good. Mass Effect uses it well. Tried Battlefield 1 today after the update and the HDR is gorgeous.

Also think it's key to getting the tv settings right to get the most out of it. Dynamic Contrast should be off really, and I crank the colour to 65 to help it pop. Gamma on 1 or 2 can also help with the dullness. HDR can struggle in a bright room with any settings though.

HDR has no effect on me. I find it hugely disappointing. They should have a split screen option so people can actually see the difference.

What settings are you guys using for ps4 pro? All automatic? Full?
Full on Pro, Normal on TV. Or limited/limited supposedly works too.

Although I don't have Horizon, so none of the existing HDR game content hasn't been a significant enough to make me go "WOW, I am 100% certain everything is working as it should."

Maybe Danganronpa V3 will finally be the "Planet Earth 2" of HDR game optimization lol.

philm87

HDR has no effect on me. I find it hugely disappointing. They should have a split screen option so people can actually see the difference.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's worth spending time playing around with the settings. I used to struggle to notice it more, but now I have it set up right and am more used to knowing what to look for it seems to stand out more.

Not sure if the HDMI cable could send both HDR and non-hdr at the same time to do a split screen.

What HDR content have you tried?

HDR IS really disappointing on Everybody's Golf. It dims the screen and doesn't do much for anything else, even cranked to 20 brightness.

I think you mean backlight, not brightness. I was able to get EG with HDR to look pretty good, but in order to do so I had to do the following in addition to the normal Game Mode process of cranking backlight to 20:

- Gamma to +3 (from 0)
- Dynamic Contrast to Low (from Off)

Otherwise it was just too dim. Are they really shipping these games with HDR modes that are flat-out broken or is there some kind of issue with the PS4 (Pro), the KS8000, or the combination of the two? I don't have any issues with HDR on the TV's built-in apps or with Planet Earth 4K playback on the X1S. I haven't played any HDR games on the X1S recently (saving them for the X1X) but I think the Forza Horizon 3 demo was in HDR and it worked as intended.

Does EG's HDR mode work properly on other sets (Sony, LG, etc.)? I don't know.

EvB

I think you mean backlight, not brightness. I was able to get EG with HDR to look pretty good, but in order to do so I had to do the following in addition to the normal Game Mode process of cranking backlight to 20:

- Gamma to +3 (from 0)

Otherwise it was just too dim. Are they really shipping these games with HDR modes that are flat-out broken or is there some kind of issue with the PS4 (Pro), the KS8000, or the combination of the two? I don't have any issues with HDR on the TV's built-in apps or with Planet Earth 4K playback on the X1S. I haven't played any HDR games on the X1S recently (saving them for the X1X) but I think the Forza Horizon 3 demo was in HDR and it worked as intended.

Dynamic contrast controls the local dimming, you cannot achieve HDR without that.

The problem with HDR10 is that it entirely down to the TV to decide how the content should look.
For content producers this means that mastering it is actually pretty difficult.

Normally you grade and tone an image from the raw footage to look the way you want it to , however with HDR10, some of this is decided by the TV and however the TV manufacturers chooses to process the image.

Here is a colour grading example of raw video footage before it is toned, it doesn't contain any more data, it is just presented differently.
The lefthand example is similar to what many people are seeing when they enable HDR.
449556988_1280x720.jpg

This flaw in HDR10 as a format and is why you not only get such wildy varying results between TVs, but also between users, because their is no reference to calibrate against.
Another issue with HDR as a format for gamers , is that it inherantly requires processing to look like it should, so it will always have more lag than the pre-toned SDR game content.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have come to accept that HDR is simply not going to make that mind blowing day and night difference. It just adds more natural colors and offers a slightly vibrant color pallete. The greens are greener, the day light is less harsh, you might see a brighter image but other than that it is not going to magically make a shit looking game look better.

I just picked up my PS4 Pro Destiny edition and just couldn't help but start checking out TV's. I've had a 46inch Toshiba for over 10 years. The thing is unstoppable but I definitely want to finally make a substantial upgrade.

Target has this TV for about 1,100:
65" Samsung UN65KS8500 Curved 4K SUHD HDTV

Or should I go for a more reasonable Vizio for 750:
VIZIO® SmartCast™ E-Series 60" Class 60" Diag. 2160p 120Hz Ultra HD HDR XLED™ Display - E60-E3

Are both of these true HDR?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just picked up my PS4 Pro Destiny edition and just couldn't help but start checking out TV's. I've had a 46inch Toshiba for over 10 years. The thing is unstoppable but I definitely want to finally make a substantial upgrade.

VIZIO® SmartCast™ E-Series 60" Class 60" Diag. 2160p 120Hz Ultra HD HDR XLED™ Display - E60-E3

I paid $1000 for my 55 inch KS8500. That target deal sounds too good to be true.

I know little to nothing about the Vizio tv but i would recommend checking rtings review for it. The KS8500 series is widely considered the best for 4k hdr gaming due to its low input lag.

ss_lemonade

That's like EPP price range right? I got my 65in ks9000 for 1479 via EPP and I'm still amazed by how good PQ can be on it. The Samsung is true HDR, not sure about the Vizio.

I just randomly walked int today and they had it 300-400 dollars off that samsung. Maybe I'll go for it even though its a bit more than i wanted to spend.

I just randomly walked int today and they had it 300-400 dollars off that samsung. Maybe I'll go for it even though its a bit more than i wanted to spend.

If it's truly that cheap then I'd jump on it. Mine was 1379 and that was black friday pricing.

Full on Pro, Normal on TV. Or limited/limited supposedly works too.

Although I don't have Horizon, so none of the existing HDR game content hasn't been a significant enough to make me go "WOW, I am 100% certain everything is working as it should."

Maybe Danganronpa V3 will finally be the "Planet Earth 2" of HDR game optimization lol.

Thank you. I'm doing full just to be safe on the pro.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

- Gamma to +3 (from 0)

You are correct.

nguyen704

Is anyone experiencing choppy/skipping when viewing 4K/HDR videos on the amazon video app? It's distracting I can't seem to find a fix for it.

Yoday

Is anyone experiencing choppy/skipping when viewing 4K/HDR videos on the amazon video app? It's distracting I can't seem to find a fix for it.
What are you using to watch it? I know there is a known issue with playback of 4K content in the current XBO Alhpa build.

Ashhong

I have an E60-E3, I don't believe it's "true" HDR. Doesn't get nearly bright enough, and only has like 10 active LED zones. It's a good cheap TV that I only got because it was so damn cheap. I don't think it's a good option if you are looking for a nice TV. Go for the KS or the Sony X900E. Or shit, even the TCL P607 is leagues better than the Vizio.

Doombear

Tried watching death note (netflix)on hdr but its not working?

I have version 1180

When you say it's not working, what is HAPPENING? Since they rolled out HDR I've had issues many times.

Generally what happens is that I select an HDR show, it loads to about 91% and stays showing 91% but I can hear audio. I back out, select the show again, it gets to 91% and then I get an error message stating it cannot play my selected video at this time and to try again later. Any HDR video at that point will then toss that error at me. If I try to watch something non-HDR it loads fine.

I've been having to use the Netflix app on my Pro lately.

I'm also on 1180, though I have an NA KS9000

When you say it's not working, what is HAPPENING? Since they rolled out HDR I've had issues many times.

Generally what happens is that I select an HDR show, it loads to about 91% and stays showing 91% but I can hear audio. I back out, select the show again, it gets to 91% and then I get an error message stating it cannot play my selected video at this time and to try again later. Any HDR video at that point will then toss that error at me. If I try to watch something non-HDR it loads fine.

I've been having to use the Netflix app on my Pro lately.

I'm also on 1180, though I have an NA KS9000

Sounds like you have to have 25mbps +( I have 50)

My issue is that the hdr notification wont show , which I hear is normal, but my backlit doesn't go to 20 automatically like I read it's supposed to do.

Or it could be that it is working, but death note the movie isn't good at displaying hdr?

Btw hdr workson amazon but my tv backlit stays at 10.

Very confused.

chaosaeon

So some of my games looks awful on my new KS8000. This is original Xbox One. It's like something is messed up with the upscale. I have all the recommended settings right. Path of Exile looks terrible.

I noticed some games looking much worse than they did on my old 1080p set. Vanishing of Ethan Carter looked awful and had a bunch of jaggies that I hadn't seen before. My previous set was also a Samsung (probably 10 years old) and someone said maybe that older set had some additional post processing. My old set had an edge enhancement that didn't actually enhance edges that much but rather appeared to sharpen all textures, AND its noise removal removed jaggies while not blurring anything. That old TV was apparently a wizard. Maybe you had something similar. If you thought xbone games looked bad, PS360 games will make your eyes bleed.

I put my consoles through a receiver yesterday and noticed that the backlight is changing automatically to 20 when HDR content is being displayed, I thought it must have been an update, but looks like I'm still on 1180. I guess the receiver had something to do with it?

philm87

I put my consoles through a receiver yesterday and noticed that the backlight is changing automatically to 20 when HDR content is being displayed, I thought it must have been an update, but looks like I'm still on 1180. I guess the receiver had something to do with it?

The default on the TV is to switch to 20 for backlight automatically when HDR content is being displayed. The TV has it's own settings for HDR that it automatically changes to when it starts playing (unless a special mode like game mode is activated).

I think it's basically treating the receiver as a new HDMI source, so will go back to the default settings for HDR content.

On the TV you can have separate settings for the following:
- Each individual HDMI source non-HDR
- Each individual HDMI source HDR
- Each individual HDMI source game mode (not seperate for HDR or non-HDR)
- Apps non-HDR
- Apps HDR
(treats all apps as if they're one source)

The default on the TV is to switch to 20 for backlight automatically when HDR content is being displayed. The TV has it's own settings for HDR that it automatically changes to when it starts playing (unless a special mode like game mode is activated).

I think it's basically treating the receiver as a new HDMI source, so will go back to the default settings for HDR content.

On the TV you can have separate settings for the following:
- Each individual HDMI source non-HDR
- Each individual HDMI source HDR
- Each individual HDMI source game mode (not seperate for HDR or non-HDR)
- Apps non-HDR
- Apps HDR
(treats all apps as if they're one source)

Shoot yeah so game mode wasn't turned on that's the issue. Need to make sure I fix that when I get home later, thanks for the informed post.

I seem to be having some new issues where it “forgets” an input after I send a device into sleep mode. It’s also used to recognise my PS4 as soon as I switched the input, but now it’s take a little while and says something like “input not found” before it works.
Anyone had the same?

reektann

Ok, its good to hear that Everybody's Golf just seems to be a poor implementation. I was making me have a bad vision of HDR. Horizon did look really good when I think back to it.

I installed the Korean update last night (1203.6). Everything seems to work fine. Watched some cable TV, watched some HDR test videos off of USB, and played some games both HDR and non-HDR.

I didn't notice any problems. I also didn't notice much in the way of improvements except for one thing. Now, let me preface this by reminding everyone that there are at least two known "versions" of the KS8000 with different panels, so experiences may vary. It could also be placebo, but I don't think so. Judder seems improved on this release. With auto motion plus off, judder is naturally present on 30fps content but it didn't have that flickery quality it had before like it wasn't refreshing 100% properly. It's hard to explain. I also tried my custom auto motion plus settings and that seemed to work more consistently as well, but I'll need to watch a lot more TV before I can vouch for that since it's effectiveness seems to vary based on the show and channel.

No other improvements as far as I can tell. Same old Game-Mode HDR issue, same old lack of HDR banner, etc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have come to accept that HDR is simply not going to make that mind blowing day and night difference. It just adds more natural colors and offers a slightly vibrant color pallete. The greens are greener, the day light is less harsh, you might see a brighter image but other than that it is not going to magically make a shit looking game look better.

Yeah....HDR was never supposed to make bad games look better. Just make games look more accurate color and lighting wise. The upside to that is it can make good graphics look great though.

Heel

I installed the Korean update last night (1203.6). Everything seems to work fine. Watched some cable TV, watched some HDR test videos off of USB, and played some games both HDR and non-HDR.

I didn't notice any problems. I also didn't notice much in the way of improvements except for one thing. Now, let me preface this by reminding everyone that there are at least two known "versions" of the KS8000 with different panels, so experiences may vary. It could also be placebo, but I don't think so. Judder seems improved on this release. With auto motion plus off, judder is naturally present on 30fps content but it didn't have that flickery quality it had before like it wasn't refreshing 100% properly. It's hard to explain. I also tried my custom auto motion plus settings and that seemed to work more consistently as well, but I'll need to watch a lot more TV before I can vouch for that since it's effectiveness seems to vary based on the show and channel.

No other improvements as far as I can tell. Same old Game-Mode HDR issue, same old lack of HDR banner, etc.

Save for the Game Mode issues, judder is probably my biggest gripe with this TV and seems to be consistently reported as improved in that newest firmware.

Hopefully I feel the same way about it. Looking forward to it.

They couldn't even return the HDR banner, fuckin A Sammy.

Doombear

I seem to be having some new issues where it ”forgets" an input after I send a device into sleep mode. It's also used to recognise my PS4 as soon as I switched the input, but now it's take a little while and says something like ”input not found" before it works.
Anyone had the same?

Absolutely. Happens nearly every time I go back to the PS4's input from something else. Most times it is pretty quick, but I still almost always get the 'input not found' box for a few seconds just before it connects. There have been a few times where the handshake just wouldn't happen, had to switch to another input and back again.

Could it be a handshake issue? Only ever happens with the PS4 (instant switches to Switch, Comcast, USB, etc) though. I was wondering if it might be the cable but it is the cable that came with the PS4 and I feel like it wasn't having this delayed response right when I got my TV. Started a month or so later.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Unless you're seated fairly close and dead-center to the screen, there's not much point in it. The curved screen is just a gimmick. Some people like it. Some don't. Most probably don't care. I've tried curved TVs and personally it didn't bother my wife and I when we had them. We adjusted pretty quickly. The curve is gentle so at a distance it's not that noticeable unless you are trying to notice it. So my advice is to select your TV based on other factors and then decide flat or curved if both are available. If there is only a curved version of the model you want available don't let it dissuade you. I'd try it out.

Everyone that's seen my TV notices the curve and they say they like it and can tell a difference. Now everyone of those people were sitting dead in the middle of the screen. But you can feel that you are looking "into" the screen, instead of "at" a screen.

On mobile and accessing your post history isn't convenient, but are you referring to the issue where the screen will black out periodically when utilizing UHD mode on the HDMI port connected to your PS4? I'm dealing with the same issue and might need to suggest this to Samsung. Did you just utilize the request service function in the settings?

I've had this TV for over 2 months with no issue and NOW my KS8500 is blacking out every 4 minutes or so. It only happens with 4K HDR content. NEVER happens when I'm using my PSVR though.

Top Bottom