• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

ss_lemonade

But that doesn't explain when I am comparing the same sources with my 5+ year old 55'' 1080p HD TV and the quality on that TV looks stunningly better than the KS8000. I was checking out The Defenders and it's crystal clear on my old TV in 1080p, while on the KS8000 it looks like a grainy ugly mess even with Digital Clean View on and in 4k.

I also tried Penny Dreadful, again crystal clear on the 1080p but on the KS8000 it looks like shit. I am just so disappointed in the film quality of this TV and I am constantly battling static grain that is ruining every show for me. Sure it's great for games, but I did expect a new TV like this to be on par with my half a decade old one, especially when it's running in 4k.
What 2015 TV is that? Also, do you have a youtube example that shows the same issue with the KS8000 but not with your older TV? My 65in ks9000 performs roughly about the same as my 55in Sony w900a with 1080p. The Sony's only real advantage is when dealing with gradients since it has a setting to smooth that out

Gorger

What 2015 TV is that? Also, do you have a youtube example that shows the same issue with the KS8000 but not with your older TV? My 65in ks9000 performs roughly about the same as my 55in Sony w900a with 1080p. The Sony's only real advantage is when dealing with gradients since it has a setting to smooth that out

This is my old TV that I am comparing the picture with:
https://www.komplett.no/product/589023#
It was released in early 2011, and at the moment it's greatly outperforming my 65'' KS8000 on picture when comparing TV shows via Netflix.

I don't completely understand what you mean with youtube examples, but when I try out 4k test videos on youtube it looks absolutely stunning on the KS8000-- crystal clear picture, no static/grain, beautiful strong deep colors -- this is what I imagined film would look like on this TV. My problem is with Netflix which is where I am watching most of my TV shows, and no matter how much I fiddle with the settings I can't get rid of the overwhelming grain/static that destroys the picture every time I try to watch something.

I dunno of this helps but my KS8000 settings are :
Backlight: 10-12 Sometimes I boost it up to 18-20 to get that pop in brightness.
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 10 I see no difference with 0
Color: 55 I like vibrant colors I have tried it all the way up to 60 on some shows.

Digital Clean View: On Turning this off often makes the grain/static even worse!
Auto Motion: Varied, but I see no difference in grain when it's on Auto, off or custom. I like having it on as it gives me smoother camera movement.
Smart Led: High
HDMI UHD Color: Enabled
HDMI Black Level: Auto
Dynamic Contrast: Off - This is a hard sacrifice. I like Dynamic Contrast on low, but it makes the grain even more visible.
Color Tone Standard:- I know everyone loves Warm 2, but that ugly reddish tint is just overwhelmingly distracting to me.
White Balance : Default
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto

Has RTings updated their settings since 2016? Hasn't all the new firmware changed the values to such a degree that they would be considered outdated by now? I find them at least very dark and dim. Only 3-4 blacklight, really?

I am watching Narcos season 3 now in 4k, and some of the scenes especially outside during the day looks absolutely stunning with 20 backlight and dynamic contrast turned on. The problem unfortunately comes when we go into darker scenes and the picture becomes really grainy. I wish I could find a right balance between light and dark that works for me, and at the same time reduce the grainy picture as much as possible, because it looks like absolute trash and ruins every scene where it's happening.. Still haven't found a setting I feel completely satisfied with, and as much as I love this TV for its interface and video game input lag, video grain during movies is abysmally bad and the worst I've seen in any modern TV...

I see grain with the marvel stuff too, it's not too bad, but it's there. I think it's the netflix stuff in general. We're watching daredevil on bluray and some of the grain in dark scenes can be quite heavy.

I also don't know about the rtings settings as it comes to brightness. Mine is set to 10 but I have a window in my room and the overhead lighting in the room sucks.

Gorger

I see grain with the marvel stuff too, it's not too bad, but it's there. I think it's the netflix stuff in general. We're watching daredevil on bluray and some of the grain in dark scenes can be quite heavy.

I also don't know about the rtings settings as it comes to brightness. Mine is set to 10 but I have a window in my room and the overhead lighting in the room sucks.

I have heard the Marvel Stuff is notoriously bad when it comes to grain even though there is none on my 2011 model, but even on Narcos the picture could range from spectacular to abysmal depending on the setting.

Try watching some of the outside scenes or the birds eye view shots of the city with 20 backlight and dynamic contrast on and it looks almost as good as the 4k test videos on youtube. Then you get inside during a darkened lit room and the grain starts popping up like a sickness spreading all over the TV throwing my immersion right off :(

Symphonia

Banned
Both Narcos and Daredevil (or any Marvel Netflix show) look great on my KS8000. I see no grain or crushed blacks that you speak of.

Gorger

Both Narcos and Daredevil (or any Marvel Netflix show) look great on my KS8000. I see no grain or crushed blacks that you speak of.

Yeah it's really frustrating how it's perfectly fine for some people but not others. What is your settings if I may ask? And do you watch it through PS4 Pro or the smart TV?

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah it's really frustrating how it's perfectly fine for some people but not others. What is your settings if I may ask? And do you watch it through PS4 Pro or the smart TV?
Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 3-5
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 50
Tint: 50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom
Blur Reduction: 10
Judder Reduction: 1
LED Clear Motion: Off
Smart LED: Low
HDMI UHD Colour: On
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Colour Tone: Warm2
White Balance: Default
Gamma: Auto
Colour Space: Auto

I apply these settings to all sources, and apply them to Game Mode, too. When watching/playing HDR content, allow the TV to adjust it to max. Everything looks great with these settings. Try them and let me know. Bear in mind, I have the backlight low as my living room is quite dark. I only ever watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, and Vudu through the in-built apps. They just work better for me.

ss_lemonade

This is my old TV that I am comparing the picture with:
https://www.komplett.no/product/589023#
It was released in early 2011, and at the moment it's greatly outperforming my 65'' KS8000 on picture when comparing TV shows via Netflix.

I don't completely understand what you mean with youtube examples, but when I try out 4k test videos on youtube it looks absolutely stunning on the KS8000-- crystal clear picture, no static/grain, beautiful strong deep colors -- this is what I imagined film would look like on this TV. My problem is with Netflix which is where I am watching most of my TV shows, and no matter how much I fiddle with the settings I can't get rid of the overwhelming grain/static that destroys the picture every time I try to watch something.
I was just wondering if you encountered a movie or video in Youtube that exhibits the same intense graininess so I could compare on my end since I do not have a netflix account.

Gorger

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 3-5
Contrast: 90
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 50
Tint: 50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom
Blur Reduction: 10
Judder Reduction: 1
LED Clear Motion: Off
Smart LED: Low
HDMI UHD Colour: On
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Colour Tone: Warm2
White Balance: Default
Gamma: Auto
Colour Space: Auto

I apply these settings to all sources, and apply them to Game Mode, too. When watching/playing HDR content, allow the TV to adjust it to max. Everything looks great with these settings. Try them and let me know. Bear in mind, I have the backlight low as my living room is quite dark. I only ever watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, and Vudu through the in-built apps. They just work better for me.

Thanks I appreciate it! I will fiddle with your settings next time I am on the TV. Backlight looks awfully low though, doesn't it give you a very dark tint over the TV? Maybe it's just something you just have to get used to. Same with Warm 2, but everyone seems to prefer that as well, so it must be me again.

And what do you mean with letting the TV adjust it to the max when watching HDR?

Gorger

Is there anything newer than 1180 for the US model? TV keeps telling me I'm up-to-date

Yes. But for some reason the auto-updater almost never works because Samsung doesn't release their update at the same time all over the globe, so you have to go and update your TV manually. The newest drivers as of this date is 1203.6. If you need help finding out how to download it you can use this video as reference :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9f4XmByH9Y

Symphonia

Banned
Thanks I appreciate it! I will fiddle with your settings next time I am on the TV. Backlight looks awfully low though, doesn't it give you a very dark tint over the TV? Maybe it's just something you just have to get used to. Same with Warm 2, but everyone seems to prefer that as well, so it must be me again.

And what do you mean with letting the TV adjust it to the max when watching HDR?
My backlight is low because I’m in a dark room. The lighter the room, the higher the setting should be. It sounds like it would be dark but, honestly, my eyes have adjusted perfectly to it due to the darkness. Adjust it accordingly, dependant on your ambient lighting.

As for the second question, I mean the TV will automatically ramp up the backlight to 20 when playing/watching HDR content. Don’t be tempted to adjust it. This is the only scenario where ambience means jack all.

EvB

My backlight is low because I’m in a dark room. The lighter the room, the higher the setting should be. It sounds like it would be dark but, honestly, my eyes have adjusted perfectly to it due to the darkness. Adjust it accordingly, dependant on your ambient lighting.

As for the second question, I mean the TV will automatically ramp up the backlight to 20 when playing/watching HDR content. Don’t be tempted to adjust it. This is the only scenario where ambience means jack all.

Unfortunately by setting it so low you limit th TVs ability to display specular highlights correctly.

Symphonia

Banned
Unfortunately by setting it so low you limit th TVs ability to display specular highlights correctly.
Always looks fine to me. I used the HDR Channel on YouTube as a baseline for my settings. The non-HDR version of the chess demo looks beautiful. 3-5 is fine for me.

pelican

God. I'm so confused with settings. Currently using normal game mode settings. With the exception of sharpness being at zero, colour auto, and dynamic contrast at low.

This is with all my consoles.

Not sure if I'm getting the most out of my screen.

Gorger

I am also in a dark room, it's also in a basement so it has little natural light when I pull down the curtains.

So I just saw two episodes of The Defenders with your settings, and I am not going to lie the grain/static was a lot better. It still feels very dark and I am not used with Warm 2, but I will try it out for some weeks to see if my eyes can adjust to it.

I do believe The Defenders is HDR on Netflix, but the backlight didn't change automatically from what I could see... maybe it does so internally? My backlight remained on 5.

Symphonia

Banned
I am also in a dark room, it's also in a basement so it has little natural light when I pull down the curtains.

So I just saw two episodes of The Defenders with your settings, and I am not going to lie the grain/static was a lot better. It still feels very dark and I am not used with Warm 2, but I will try it out for some weeks to see if my eyes can adjust to it.

I do believe The Defenders is HDR on Netflix, but the backlight didn't change automatically from what I could see... maybe it does so internally? My backlight remained on 5.
Perhaps change your backlight on non-HDR to 10, see how that sits with you. As for HDR, have you previously adjusted your settings when on a HDR source?

Syrus

Banned

You on game mode?

Ogawa-san

Except I have sharpness at about 15 and backlight on full.
This is something that have been bugging me lately.

I had another Samsung (a 2014 model I believe) failing on me, the guy that fixed it told me it had the backlight cranked too high and that I was supposed to keep at around 10. I know we're supposed to have it at maximum on the KS8000 for HDR content but I wonder if it's harmful to leave it at that for everything else as well.

learned that this game has mini games on the extra button when TV mode.

Also learned that if you hold the power button down for like 15 seconds it reboots your TV (like if you were to unplug it and plug it back in)

^ this fixed so many issues for me ,
like youtube getting stuck on certain video channels and netflix not allowing me to fast forward/rewind .

This is something that have been bugging me lately.

I had another Samsung (a 2014 model I believe) failing on me, the guy that fixed it told me it had the backlight cranked too high and that I was supposed to keep at around 10. I know we're supposed to have it at maximum on the KS8000 for HDR content but I wonder if it's harmful to leave it at that for everything else as well.

Could be, it's much brighter for SDR as it brightens everything evenly.

I just got some black out curtains for the living room, I had the backlight at about 15 during the day but now I'll be dropping it (also happy for the godawful glare/reflections gone)

Gorger

Perhaps change your backlight on non-HDR to 10, see how that sits with you. As for HDR, have you previously adjusted your settings when on a HDR source?

Yeah I'll try and experiment with 8-10 backlight and see if that looks better for me. As for the latter question... yes I most likely have.

saltyramen

God. I'm so confused with settings. Currently using normal game mode settings. With the exception of sharpness being at zero, colour auto, and dynamic contrast at low.

This is with all my consoles.

Not sure if I'm getting the most out of my screen.
Can you post them going from top to bottom? I found Dynamic Contrast to get rid of detail

MazeHaze

Banned
The Netflix Marvel shows are a terrible way to judge the clarity of at The picture. They all have a super heavy post process film grain on them that is pretty obnoxious. It ain't the TV, It's the show. Noticed it on my KS8000, and also on my LG OLED B7. When I booted up Jessica Jones on the OLED I literally LOLed at how in your face the film grain was. Looks super shitty IMO but they're all like that. Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Defenders all have a thick layer of shitty looking static over the picture.

It's way more noticeable on a 4k TV though because with the clarity that 4k brings, fake film grain looks eye rollingly silly.

Gorger

The Netflix Marvel shows are a terrible way to judge the clarity of at The picture. They all have a super heavy post process film grain on them that is pretty obnoxious. It ain't the TV, It's the show. Noticed it on my KS8000, and also on my LG OLED B7. When I booted up Jessica Jones on the OLED I literally LOLed at how in your face the film grain was. Looks super shitty IMO but they're all like that. Daredevil, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Defenders all have a thick layer of shitty looking static over the picture.

It's way more noticeable on a 4k TV though because with the clarity that 4k brings, fake film grain looks eye rollingly silly.

I really hope with 4K becoming more normal that the showmakers removes this shitty film grain gimmick and starts focusing on giving us clear picture instead. It looks putrid.

MazeHaze

Banned
I really hope with 4K becoming more normal that the showmakers removes this shitty film grain gimmick and starts focusing on giving us clear picture instead. It looks putrid.

I'm with you. I don't even really understand what the point is having a show even be 4k if they're just gonna blur the fuck out of it.

Got this set today. Pretty awesome I must say and the price was way lower than the Sony XE9005 that I had interest in ( UE55 KS7000 for 999 euro ).

What games or Netflix series do you guys recommend in 4K HDR? Thanks in advance.

Symphonia

Banned
Got this set today. Pretty awesome I must say and the price was way lower than the Sony XE9005 that I had interest in ( UE55 KS7000 for 999 euro ).

What games or Netflix series do you guys recommend in 4K HDR? Thanks in advance.
I’d recommend Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4. If you want to really test the picture quality, search the ‘HDR Channel’ on YouTube.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I have the same graininess on my KS8500 and it only happens when the TV is displaying 4K for Marvel shows from my PS4 PRO.

The internal app doesn't show that much grain.

Head.spawn

Defenders was the worst offender by far. My god, that one scene with the woman and man wearing bright white clothing (not naming), it seriously looks like there is micromaggots running on speed, going in circles across their clothing it's so bad.

I'd say film grain has a place. It helps gel scenes together, make other post processing corrections/enhancements seem more natural, make special effects fit in with the scenes or not look cheap, definitely helps make CG fit in better with naturally shot scenes, it can help keep up a certain aesthetic or look so shots/edits don't look out of place from shot-to-shot and scene-to-scene, it also helps make-up look a lot more realistic in a digital clean age where otherwise it might look goofy etc etc.. but some of these people are extremely heavy handed over at Netflix. And yeah it was pretty noticeable in Jessica Jones but I absolutely laughed my ass off, rewound it and then laughed my ass of again while watching Defenders... then rewound again, paused it and called the wife in to laugh at it together. XD

On the other hand I'd say Stranger Things use of film grain was pretty spot on, it looked natural, wasn't overbearing and helped with all those other things I mentioned above AND gave an authentic vintage texture look to it.

I think overall though, some these guys that are mastering the film either need their eyes checked and need to dial it back a lot or invest in higher quality production assets so they don't need to blend as much.

Are there any reliable sites with 4K digital codes (that 100% redeem in 4K) available for purchase for decent prices? I've found a few through Google searching but I'm unsure of which ones are legit.

EDIT: Whoops, this is the gaming thread. I suppose my question still stands if anyone knows.

jfoul

Yes. But for some reason the auto-updater almost never works because Samsung doesn't release their update at the same time all over the globe, so you have to go and update your TV manually. The newest drivers as of this date is 1203.6. If you need help finding out how to download it you can use this video as reference :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9f4XmByH9Y

I'm stuck at 1180, Thanks for the link. I looked through some of his other videos and found this comment very helpful.

Hey guys, it seems that Samsung built their KS series on three chassis globally- The T-JZMDEUC: sold across Europe, CIS and parts of Middle East and North Africa, the T-JZMUABC: sold in Asia Pacific, other parts of Middle East and North Africa, and Latin America and finally, the T-JZMAKUC: sold in Canada and South Korea and America. Samsung will only allow firmware updates for like chassis (For you guys in the UK, your model was released with the above chassis and model UE designation. In South Korea (including the US), they released that chassis under model UN designation). The US, Canada and America should be able to download and use the South Korean 1203 update. Unfortunately, others will have to wait until an update happens in their corresponding region. I did some earlier research and this came up as a reason why some Global firmware updates didn't work.

I'm guessing the 1203 update will eventually roll out across the US, but the SK update should work fine on US, SK, CN Panels.

Link to US, CN, SK 1203 Firmware.

Aske

Defenders was the worst offender by far. My god, that one scene with the woman and man wearing bright white clothing (not naming), it seriously looks like there is micromaggots running on speed, going in circles across their clothing it's so bad.

I'd say film grain has a place. It helps gel scenes together, make other post processing corrections/enhancements seem more natural, make special effects fit in with the scenes or not look cheap, definitely helps make CG fit in better with naturally shot scenes, it can help keep up a certain aesthetic or look so shots/edits don't look out of place from shot-to-shot and scene-to-scene, it also helps make-up look a lot more realistic in a digital clean age where otherwise it might look goofy etc etc.. but some of these people are extremely heavy handed over at Netflix. And yeah it was pretty noticeable in Jessica Jones but I absolutely laughed my ass off, rewound it and then laughed my ass of again while watching Defenders... then rewound again, paused it and called the wife in to laugh at it together. XD

On the other hand I'd say Stranger Things use of film grain was pretty spot on, it looked natural, wasn't overbearing and helped with all those other things I mentioned above AND gave an authentic vintage texture look to it.

I think overall though, some these guys that are mastering the film either need their eyes checked and need to dial it back a lot or invest in higher quality production assets so they don't need to blend as much.

Agreed on all points. I find if I notice film grain, it's bad. I don't notice the natural grain of older films, but grain added to dirty up a clean digital image can be very hit or miss. I remember it looked awful on 300 (and Netflix Marvel shows), but many movies use it to excellent effect.

The Digital Clean View setting does a stellar job of toning it down to sensible levels though. It doesn't sanitise the picture completely, and it makes excessive grain look more natural.

Came here to read about this http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...00-ks8500-owners-thread-975.html#post54817736...Samsung apparently finally fixing HDR auto switching in game mode

Hmm. I'll be happy once I actually see it working on my own set. "Rudy" also says that Samsung is going to save both sets of settings in game mode, so not only will the backlight auto-adjust but other settings such as SmartLED and Dynamic Contrast, etc. will change automatically too. Basically just like what the TV does in Movie mode.

But that doesn't explain when I am comparing the same sources with my 5+ year old 55'' 1080p HD TV and the quality on that TV looks stunningly better than the KS8000. I was checking out The Defenders and it's crystal clear on my old TV in 1080p, while on the KS8000 it looks like a grainy ugly mess even with Digital Clean View on and in 4k.

I also tried Penny Dreadful, again crystal clear on the 1080p but on the KS8000 it looks like shit. I am just so disappointed in the film quality of this TV and I am constantly battling static grain that is ruining every show for me. Sure it's great for games, but I did expect a new TV like this to be on par with my half a decade old one, especially when it's running in 4k.

because your 1080p tv is lower resolution, so it does not resolve the smaller details/imperfections like a 4k tv would. If your TV was causing the grain, then you would see it in everything you watch. Also, i'm not sure how they filmed the marvel shows on netflix, but grain is PART of the film, depending on the film stock used, either that or they add in grain for the "gritty" effect, like the movie 300.

learned that this game has mini games on the extra button when TV mode.

Also learned that if you hold the power button down for like 15 seconds it reboots your TV (like if you were to unplug it and plug it back in)

^ this fixed so many issues for me ,
like youtube getting stuck on certain video channels and netflix not allowing me to fast forward/rewind .
You can also hold the back button down with an app open and it will restart the app.

Heel

Came here to read about this http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...00-ks8500-owners-thread-975.html#post54817736...

Has anyone seen this??!!!!?!

Samsung apparently finally fixing HDR auto switching in game mode OH MY GAWD

Hmm. I'll be happy once I actually see it working on my own set. "Rudy" also says that Samsung is going to save both sets of settings in game mode, so not only will the backlight auto-adjust but other settings such as SmartLED and Dynamic Contrast, etc. will change automatically too. Basically just like what the TV does in Movie mode.

Fantastic news. Also worth noting that Rudy1 will be fielding any problems with the future update for Samsung:

AWchjTIl.png

Came here to read about this http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...00-ks8500-owners-thread-975.html#post54817736...

Has anyone seen this??!!!!?!

Samsung apparently finally fixing HDR auto switching in game mode OH MY GAWD

I'm glad this is finally happening!

Just a shame were getting to the point now where nearly all new releases support HDR, so for me personally i'm having to adjust the backlight less and less because nearly all games I play now have HDR but it's still good to finally happening.

Heel

I'm glad this is finally happening!

Just a shame were getting to the point now where nearly all new releases support HDR, so for me personally i'm having to adjust the backlight less and less because nearly all games I play now have HDR but it's still good to finally happening.

For me, it's getting to the point where I'm having to switch back and forth more often. Really glad there's possibly a fix in the pipeline.

Top Bottom