• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM subscriptions are up.

ScOULaris

Since I still haven't gotten mine in the mail, I decided to pick it up today at Barnes & Noble. I don't have the time to give it a full write-up, but I will say that everyone who's on the fence about it should definitely go pick one up. It's beautifully produced, packed with tons of great content, and the first issue of EGMi adds even more professional content to the experience.

Welcome back, EGM. Getting shutdown was the best thing to ever happen to you, because now you're back better than ever.

It might even edge out the new Gamepro. Either way, EGM and GamePro are the new kings of gaming mags in the U.S. How retro. :D

vid

I found it on the stands at Barnes and Noble in Orlando today. I wanted the blue Ryu cover, but unfortunately the only one they had left had a big nasty "X" scratched across it, presumably from the box cutter. They had a pretty big stack of Ken on hand, though, which made me feel very silly when I asked a worker if they had any more copies of the blue cover.

This thing... is amazing. Maybe it's just a combination of sheer joy and nostalgia-vision clouding my mind, but I'm thoroughly blown away by the new issue of EGM. At less than 100 pages, it's certainly nowhere near the size of the 300 page tomes I used to flip through with my dad when I was a kid, but somehow the content feels more dense than it has in years. The book only has a few ads, tons of great little blurbs and additional information alongside the major articles, and some great design and use of in-game assets and fan artwork to keep things interesting. I've found myself starting at the first page and slowly working my way through the magazine, one page at a time, instead of just flipping through the pages like I normally would... the content is that attractive.

EGMi, has also managed to impress me, giving me something to read during my downtime at work. I will say that I'm crossing a lot of typos and other little burps in EGMi, plus minor bugs that crop up, such as not being able to enter dates for age specific content when in full screen mode. So far it seems like it'll be providing a healthy amount of original and supplemental material to the print magazine, rather than just the same information pushed into a digital format. Reading this makes me crave for an iPad, just so I can be onboard for the eventual launch of EGMiPad.

Congratulations, guys, you've done us all proud.

I was definitely expecting to hate the EGMi digital issue. They proved me wrong, it's done so well. The interactive content is done just right to where it doesn't feel overwhelming or annoying and it was awesome to download the free 5 tracks from the FFXIII OST and listen to them while I read the article. I couldn't be happier with my decision to subscribe.

V_Ben

Banned
ScOULaris said:
Since I still haven't gotten mine in the mail, I decided to pick it up today at Barnes & Noble. I don't have the time to give it a full write-up, but I will say that everyone who's on the fence about it should definitely go pick one up. It's beautifully produced, packed with tons of great content, and the first issue of EGMi adds even more professional content to the experience.

Welcome back, EGM. Getting shutdown was the best thing to ever happen to you, because now you're back better than ever.

It might even edge out the new Gamepro. Either way, EGM and GamePro are the new kings of gaming mags in the U.S. How retro. :D

Yeah, the design is absolutely beautiful. Great Stuff :D

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
entrement said:
I was surprised at the paper stock. Very high quality.

Yeah, got my mag in a day or so ago. This is some slick stuff. Impressive!

ScOULaris

Just in case people missed it. The Letters section of this issue confirms their plans to have all EGMs ever produced to be available online, fully searchable, and free for iPass users.

If that's not awesome, I don't know what is.

ScOULaris

I feel your pain, man. I live in Boynton, and I didn't get it either. So I just caved and bought it in stores. I have no regrets. :D

survivor

Banned
Picked up the magazine today. Really good paper quality. Also good to see they are covering PC games now.

Will probably subscribe, but I don't know if when it comes shipped, it will still be in good condition or if it will be folded and messed up.

Tsk Tsk EGM. There are some glaring errors in your issue of EGMi. Specifically in the cover story section. First you say FF5 is regarded among some fans as the best in the series. Come on nobody thinks that. You must be thinking of FF6. Next you say The War of the Lions is a sequel to the original FFT which is so wrong. It's just a port with extras. Then in the Kingdom Hearts section you say Goofy can fight Sephiroth which is wrong since it's a 1 on 1 battle. Also you list Crisis Core as a DS game. FIX THIS SHIT EGM or i'll cancel my sub.

Not really

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
The subscriber copies come in polybags, so they should be pristine when they show up in your mailbox.

Mine in Canada came in a while paper envelope. Must be because it is international or something??

Bought my copy at a Target in Charleston, SC. Very impressed with it so far. You guys did a good job with the relaunch. It reminds me a lot of Play with the layout and paper quality. I am gonna buy another issue and see if I want to keep a subscription. But so far, it looks like a keeper

deduce

On EGMi, the media player needs a status bar and an option for fullscreen (unless I'm just not seeing it). With my slow DSL, I have to pause and comeback after 1/2 hour and hope that the video loaded enough so that it doesn't stutter. Besides that, I love the setup of the online magazine and am really liking the new magazine.

vid

deduce said:
On EGMi, the media player needs a status bar and an option for fullscreen (unless I'm just not seeing it). With my slow DSL, I have to pause and comeback after 1/2 hour and hope that the video loaded enough so that it doesn't stutter. Besides that, I love the setup of the online magazine and am really liking the new magazine.

I'd also appreciate it if they added scrub bars in the future. It sucks to have to leave suddenly and then not be able to return to the point in the video where you left off.

Mr. Wonderful said:
Anyone else think that Apple's decision to block the CS5 Flash-to-iPhone compiler might have really messed up EGM's plans for the iPad and iPhone?
I would hope they would get real programmers to make a native iPad/iPhone app. It's not like iPhone programmers are hard to find, and the native iPad Popular Science magazine is very cool.

I do hope they make an iPad version of the print magazine soon, I don't want to buy printed material anymore if I can help it.

john tv

Steve just responded to my comment on his FB page -- basically suggesting that every issue of EGM ever may be coming to iPad. HAWT.

orioto

Good Art™
hum guys, how does my two art are used in the end ?
I have to receive a copy of the mag but i didn't it seems..

ScOULaris

john tv said:
Steve just responded to my comment on his FB page -- basically suggesting that every issue of EGM ever may be coming to iPad. HAWT.

That is going to be so nice to have them all in one reliable place. I have been downloading scans whenever I needed an old-school EGM fix, but there just aren't enough being actively scanned.

I can't wait to read issue #54 (January 1994) again. It had the exclusive feature on Mortal Kombat II before it came out, and I remember being so friggin' pumped reading it. Then, about three weeks later, the first MK2 cabinet popped up at my local mall arcade. Being a kid was awesome.

The Internet is obviously one of the best technological innovations of the last century, but it definitely brought with it some side effects. Since we are saturated with instant information now, information has become a devalued commodity. When I was a kid, reading magazines was the only way to get breaking gaming news. And that meant that a big announcement for an upcoming game was presented with some nice cover art and a fully typeset, well-written article with screenshots to go with it.

Compare that to hearing about a game in development four years before it ever comes out via a generic press release online. Then we are bombarded by enough gameplay videos and trailers to essentially show us the entire game before its release.

I'm not saying that the Internet is bad in any way. I'm just saying that there were some benefits to a time when information wasn't in excess.

LCfiner

john tv said:

OMFG!!

Get some nostalgia up in this bitch!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
john tv said:
Best news ever. Hopefully EGMi as well.

V_Ben

Banned
In lesser news, he also responded to my comment, saying that they would be improving the video player to allow full-screen playback and less loading in general. But that's not as awesome as every freaking issue of EGM :D

ScOULaris

Hell yeah! Let's keep this EGM train goin'. I want their subscriber base to surpass whatever it was before they closed down. The new EGM and EGMi are better than the EGM of 2005-2009.

ScOULaris said:
That is going to be so nice to have them all in one reliable place. I have been downloading scans whenever I needed an old-school EGM fix, but there just aren't enough being actively scanned.

The Internet is obviously one of the best technological innovations of the last century, but it definitely brought with it some side effects. Since we are saturated with instant information now, information has become a devalued commodity. When I was a kid, reading magazines was the only way to get breaking gaming news. And that meant that a big announcement for an upcoming game was presented with some nice cover art and a fully typeset, well-written article with screenshots to go with it.

Compare that to hearing about a game in development four years before it ever comes out via a generic press release online. Then we are bombarded by enough gameplay videos and trailers to essentially show us the entire game before its release.

I'm not saying that the Internet is bad in any way. I'm just saying that there were some benefits to a time when information wasn't in excess.

Yeah, now we get tweet... 140 or less or worst yet, tweet of an announcement that there was going to be an announcement.

Pick it up at B&N the other day and have to admit I was never big fan of EGM but I was very impress with the mag quality. It's got really good lay out, easy to read. My only complain is the size of the mag but I guess that's the norm these days where all the advertising dollars go to web instead.

They do need to get their site running on iPad and digital copy for subscriber would be awesome so I can keep print one store away.

ScOULaris

Even better than a tweet about an announcement is something that Kojima made famous:

A countdown to a COUNTDOWN to an announcement. That takes balls... and it's also retarded.

SuperPac

john tv said:

Daaaaaaamn, I'd pay good money for that. :) Especially if it included the old-school ads (or if you at least had the option to view them). I always wondered why Ziff really never went back and mined the EGM back-catalog for anything. There's a lot of great stuff in there.

joedick

Lothars said:
has anyone found the new egm in stores in canada yet?

Yeah, I saw it in a bunch of places in Ottawa on Friday. Their distribution is better than I expected. What's interesting is that stores had either the ken cover or the ryu - none of them had both.

It sucks that they're going to have every issue available after I went to great lengths to get a near complete set of 80s and 90s EGM.

I'm kidding, of course, this is amazing! A really nice touch for subscribers and great to see a group like this mining their back catalogue. I hope that EGM2 and SNES Buyer's Guide show up as well!

mollipen

john tv said:

Not that I'm calling him a liar, but I'll be really, really surprised if they actually have the full backlog of EGM (and EGM2) digitally archived. I mean, that's at least, what, 20 years of monthly magazine content to have stored somewhere? There are so many things that can happen during all of that time to archives, and at least at GameFan, back in the pre-digital distribution days there seemed to be very little concern for keeping solid archives of all of the issues. The mentality was that, once an issue was done, what was important was getting the next issue done, not being concerned about keeping around the previous issues. (Hey, even at Play, serious cataloging of digital files for back issues didn't seem to be going on until I started doing it. Digital copies of Play pre-2007 simply don't exist from what I know.)

I'd love to be wrong, though; the more older magazines that are preserved digitally, the better so far as I'm concerned. Unless, of course, the plan for getting back issues up is to tear apart print versions and scan them in page by page. *heh*

Top Bottom