• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halal Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
You ever have this glorious food?

Just had it for the first time, and other than molten hot sauce, it's delicious.

9uBwDZ0.jpg

Dude Guy

In NYC I find that local halal carts serve much better tasting food. Halal Guys stuff is wack in comparison

Edit: I will say that their molten lava hot sauce is pretty amazing though

It looks delicious. Every time I'm in New York I think about getting some, but it never happens. Looks like they're opening two locations in DC soon, so I guess I can finally try them.

Zoe

Looks like they're opening up one in Austin near campus sometime this year. That's way too inconvenient though--I'm gonna have to try out the similarly named Halal Bros near my work instead.

Viewt

They've had a location in Chicago for over a year - it's great drunk food, and the portion sizes are, uh, generous, to say the least. You can find better, but considering their consistency, and the fact that they're expanding all over the country, it's pretty impressive.

The only way to eat it is with the hot sauce, though. Without it, the meat's a little bland.

Kite

They opened one up in Houston recently and it is.. ok. We've got local versions that are better.

bryehn

USA is finally discovering shawarma. It's practically my city's official food (Ottawa).

Delicious. I love the stuff.

Halal Guys is inferior to local street carts much closer to me. It's a shame- back when they were smaller, the guys at 53rd and 6th actually gave a crap and I want to say the food was actually decent. Now its just a brand- you'll get a lot more TLC with the smaller carts.

Also, the Halal Guys meat is always ridiculously dry. They also stopped letting you use the bottle of white sauce and now give you ketchup packets of white sauce.

Protip- explore and find a cart that's not this one.

Dude Guy

Halal Guys is inferior to local street carts much closer to me. It's a shame- back when they were smaller, the guys at 53rd and 6th actually gave a crap. Now its just a brand- you'll get a lot more TLC with the smaller carts.

Also, the Halal Guys food is dry as hell.

Protip- explore and find a cart that's not this one

QFT

USA is finally discovering shawarma. It's practically my city's official food (Ottawa).

did you try Shawarma Poutine?

there was a place I visited called Al Basha that had it

you can add the garlic sauce on it as well... and it is a very big portion

Go visit Kebab Paradise in Lake Hiawatha up in Morris County. Simply shits over any halal cart in the city that I had hit up.

They reduced the portion a few months ago and stopped seasoning the rice as well now...
Use to be my main takeout place of choice...

maxcriden

Anyone try the new Atlanta location? I think reviews on Yelp were mixed but I already those with a grain of salt. Baraka shawarma in Stone Mountain (I think they have an ATL location too) has some of the best shawarma I've had since living in NYC.

Looks like they're opening up one in Austin near campus sometime this year. That's way too inconvenient though--I'm gonna have to try out the similarly named Halal Bros near my work instead.

Go to Phoenicia on Burnet. The best Shwarma's in town. The closest to authentic arabic I've found in Texas

I ate food from the halal cart pretty regularly for about two weeks not long after I moved to NYC. I found out that the heartburn you get from a lamb kebab plate is the real deal. I've avoided it ever since then.

Kill3r7

I'll stick with the food trucks in NYC but yeah they are pretty delicious. Since you happen to be in NJ checkout Mamoun's Falafel in Hoboken.

Ottaro

I learned the hard way just how hot their red sauce is.

I asked for too much and of course the person looked at me like I was crazy. I knew that was a bad sign.

Go visit Kebab Paradise in Lake Hiawatha up in Morris County. Simply shits over any halal cart in the city that I had hit up.

This man knows his food

10 years ago you had to go to Manhattan to get good cart food- simple economics has now led to damn good cart food being found all over the suburbs now. It's a tough one for me but Kebab Paradise may be the best one in the tri-state area- its really, really good and their menu is on point beyond the typical platters.

Best place ever. It was walking distance from an apartment I stayed at when visiting New York City. The GF and I went back here late night one time after drinking a few too many and it was FANTASTIC. Definitely hit the spot.

Still top-tier drunk food but the last two or three times I had Halal Guys (over the last year or two) the meat was super bland and dry. The sauces were always key but I thought the meat still used to have more flavor.

Davidion

I've never had halal guys in the decades I've been here, but can another city folk confirm that it's gyro meat like most of the other halal carts, not shawarma?

You want shawarma, you go to Mamouns. Not a cart.

I need to go to Mamoun's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom