• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halal Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mediocre chain shawarma; it'll do in a pinch but if you have access to any local shawarma restaurants, buy there instead. Mostly famous because rich actors got paid to eat there in a comic book movie.

Halal Guys was killing it long before the Avengers movie was even a thought. They've been copied by numerous other carts in NYC, even down to their logo and tag line. No where in the Avengers movie does it make reference to Halal Guys and if I'm remembering correctly, Halal Guys didn't even have brick and mortar store when the Avengers came out.

I'm not saying that the movie didn't get some folks interested in shawarma, but it had absolutely nothing to do with Halal Guys' individual popularity. That has been entirely word of mouth.

maxcriden

It's alright. They opted for beef and chicken here, and the beef tastes rather dry and the bang-for-your-buck isn't as good as compared to the 53rd and 6th location in Manhattan. I still go there for late night food though. Their spicy sauce is hell on earth and it's nice (you can ask for packets of them).

Thanks for the info. Have you tried any other places in the area? Like Baraka for example? I think we also tried places in Decatur and in Chamblee that were pretty meh.

This man knows whats up.

I was surprised to read people thinking Halal Guys is shawerma. Its just chicken and gyro platter over rice. It's cab driver's dream food.

I get triggered at gyro breads finding their way into our dishes. It's gross and people may not know what they're truly missing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've never had halal guys in the decades I've been here, but can another city folk confirm that it's gyro meat like most of the other halal carts, not shawarma?

You want shawarma, you go to Mamouns. Not a cart.

I need to go to Mamoun's...

I don't recognize any significant differences between gyro, shawarma and donner outside of some peculiarities of spicing and who's doing the cooking. If you mean do they have the vertical rotisserie on site, yes, they do, unlike most other carts in Manhattan. If you mean they taste like gyro meat you can get anywhere else in the city, yes, it's pretty much cut from the same cloth.

The actual cart is good, for me, mainly because it's fresh, and its freshness has to do with its turnover rate. I don't think they have any special secret to their meat or their sauce that puts them ahead of any other shawarma place. The brick and mortar chains can't really duplicate this and I see them as merely capitalizing on the original cart going viral, like Xi'an Famous Foods.

Davidion

^5

Mamoun's is a fantastic, dirt cheap place that everyone can agree on, and its quality has not deteriorated over the years. Just the right amount of grease and fat, wonderfully tender and flavorful meat, dirt cheap. Just some dude from Syria who started parking his ass in the village and started making Shawarma one day. Anyone who doesn't recognize it as the very definition of a true NYC institution either doesn't know or is LYIN.

Also, we're talking about OG Mamoun's on MacDougal. Not sure how the chain expansions are doing.

The places in Sunnyside doesn't really get there, imo. There is supposedly some hot fire places up in Astoria that's great.

Been hearing about this place for a while, but unfortunately they don't have any locations here in Canada/Ontario.

I feel it would be super irresponsible of me to drive out to NY/NJ just for shawarma, lol

I can appreciate a bit of sensibility in a person, but I'm just saying if you end up wandering around MacDougal street in NY at 2 in the morning for whatever reason, possibly drunk, and there's a very long line on the sidewalk snaking towards a hole in the wall, that maybe you stand on that line for a while and see where it leads you.

Yeah ok I was right. It IS gyro meat. Was about to say; carts started upgrading on me?

Shawarma lovers, go to Mamoun's. Maybe this is just something that's different in NYC, but imo it's significant.

I don't recognize any significant differences between gyro, shawarma and donner outside of some peculiarities of spicing and who's doing the cooking. If you mean do they have the vertical rotisserie on site, yes, they do, unlike most other carts in Manhattan. If you mean they taste like gyro meat you can get anywhere else in the city, yes, it's pretty much cut from the same cloth.

The actual cart is good, for me, mainly because it's fresh, and its freshness has to do with its turnover rate. I don't think they have any special secret to their meat or their sauce that puts them ahead of any other shawarma place. The brick and mortar chains can't really duplicate this and I see them as merely capitalizing on the original cart going viral, like Xi'an Famous Foods.

The gyro spits that the carts use are often using a block of formed, chopped meat. Shawarma places that I've been to uses a large stack of sliced meat. In my experience the former was always quicker to crisp and looser, whereas the latter, when made correctly, comes off as tender slices.

Again, someone who knows better can tell me off, but it's a noticeable difference for me.

Zapages

Kabab Paradise superior than Halal Guys. If you are in northern NJ area then check them out and try their mixed Gyro Platter.... So much better and actually has flavor.

Haly

The gyro spits that the carts use are often using a block of formed, chopped meat. Shawarma places that I've been to uses a large stack of sliced meat. In my experience the former was always quicker to crisp, whereas the latter, when made correctly, comes off as tender slices.

Oh yes that's a big difference and Halal Guys use ground formed meat IIRC, rather than stacked cuts, but I don't think this is the differentiation factor between gyro and shawarma, because I assume the ground blocks traces back to kofta which isn't uniquely Greek, it's as Turkish as the stacked cuts doner.

In my opinion gyro, shawarma and doner refer to the vertical rotisserie rather than the meat composition. Not sure if this is totally accurate though.

Davidion

Oh yes that's a big difference and Halal Guys use ground formed meat IIRC, rather than stacked cuts, but I don't think this is the differentiation factor between gyro and shawarma.

You could totally be right. My perspective is completely NYC-centric, and I've noticed that this is a huge difference in how shawarma vs. gyro places do things here.

53rd and 6th all day. They legit know me.
I used to work over there and would go all the time. I knew the right times to hit it up so there'd be no line.

Mixed chicken and lamb over rice with chopped pita inside. That was my jam.

Damn good value for the price, too.

It wasn't so much that they better, it's that they were fast and consistent.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Well I'm in Jersey so any chance I can get this good shit outside of the city I'll take it.

Hey I'm from Jersey too and I think they have a Halal Guys in North Brunswick if I'm not mistaken. Shit, I'm going to go there tonight and get me something!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hey I'm from Jersey too and I think they have a Halal Guys in North Brunswick if I'm not mistaken. Shit, I'm going to go there tonight and get me something!

North Brunswick,isnt that where Harold and Kumar finally found a White Castle?

Harold and Kumar Go to Halal Guys. Let's make this happen.

rpmurphy

Thanks for the info. Have you tried any other places in the area? Like Baraka for example? I think we also tried places in Decatur and in Chamblee that were pretty meh.
I've only tried some shawarma and gyros in the Alpharetta area and they're quite a bit more expensive so I dunno if there's any good comparison I can give, sorry. :(

I get triggered at gyro breads finding their way into our dishes. It's gross and people may not know what they're truly missing.
Gyros, gyro breads and lettuce, man. Lettuce doesnt exist in places where Shawarma was born.

Real Shawermas come in Lavash bread, without lettuce. Its meaty goodness with pickles, roasted tomatoes, garlic sauce and tahini.

Tadale

I went to the new Atlanta location a few weeks back. I thought it was delicious but I've never been to any of the Manhattan spots.

EDIT: Atlanta people - if you like shawarma, try Jerusalem Bakery. That place is delicious.

rackham

Banned
No one go to mamouns for shawarma. Tastes like shit imo. Doesn't hold a candle to the food quality at 53rd&6th imo

Y'all gotta try Iranian kabab.

Afghan and Iranian Kebab/koobideh and rice are amazing

Afghan rice is so light but sweet and the kebab... drool
Nope, never tried it. The best shawarma/ Lebanese food I ate was in Ottawa. Really phenomenal, although I can't for the life of me remember the name of the shop.

is it Shawarma Palace?

Usually that is the one that people toot

Nope, never tried it. The best shawarma/ Lebanese food I ate was in Ottawa. Really phenomenal, although I can't for the life of me remember the name of the shop.

Haly

What should I order here if I go for my first time?

Chicken and gyro combination platter, white sauce and a little bit of hot sauce (it's really hot even in small amounts).

el jacko

Halal Guys was the shit ten years ago, though. I used to work downtown with a group of upper-class Muslim guys, and the guy who drove in every day from NJ would drive us up to get a box from the 53rd street cart after any special event.

Didn't realize it had become such a big brand, though...

Ottaro

Chicken and gyro combination platter, white sauce and a little bit of hot sauce (it's really hot even in small amounts).
I honestly recommend getting the hot sauce on the side for first timers. They have it in little packets. Allows them to figure out just how much you can tolerate before they mix it in with everything ahah.

Z3K

I used to love them until they started using beef instead of Lamb, WTF. That's why I go to other better carts in the city.

I'm seeing this trend all over the world, lamb is the only meat that should be used to make shawarma, its juicier and fattier than beef there's just no comparison.

I honestly recommend getting the hot sauce on the side for first timers. They have it in little packets. Allows them to figure out just how much you can tolerate before they mix it in with everything ahah.

I've made and ate homemade habanero poppers. How hot is their hot sauce relative to whole habaneros?

I've made and ate homemade habanero poppers. How hot is their hot sauce relative to whole habaneros?

Its really goddamn hot. Like its punishing. I dont like it.

I hit their Ditmars truck a couple times a week, sometimes just for a sack of falafel to go with dinner. It's so good.

I always rolled my eyes at the stupid #yeaaahhbaby signage but I became a believer. The falafels are also good.

I used to love them until they started using beef instead of Lamb, WTF. That's why I go to other better carts in the city.

Wait seriously? Whaaaaaaat, no why.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm upset... they are supposed to be opening a Halal Guys on Berkeley campus and the sign has been up for about two years and it's still not open.

I have a feeling they somehow pulled out...

I want to eat there!

Oh, but they just opened a location not far from my work in SF... I gotta try it soon.

*edit* oh shit I just noticed they are open till 4Am daily... that's perfect for me... gonna try eating there tomorrow. Thanks for the kick in the butt, OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom