• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

laxu

Oh didn't know that, yeah I'm downsampling with DSR from 4K to 1080P.

So I would need an active DL to DVI-D dual link adapter right? Those are like where I live, goddamnit....

Lots of dual link Displayport to DVI adapters seem to be pretty flaky as well as expensive. HDMI to DVI should work better and be much cheaper because the signal is essentially the same. So HDMI to Dual link DVI adapter is what you want.

laxu

So I got the EVGA founders edition, downloaded the EVGA OCX app to monitor the card, not really interested in Overclocking, but I noticed it is running very hot at 84 Celsius constantly, but furthermore, it was clocking at 1750mhz constantly, I thought it only went to around 1500mhz? Does this overclock by default? Am I missing something, I prefer it ran at normal clock speeds and cooler, but even if a press default it goes up to the upper 1700mhz. Can anybody clarify this? Thanks!

The card overclocks based on its base clock and temperature and voltage limits. In my experience most reviews seem to have much more conservative clocks than I've been running on most of the Nvidia cards I've had. 1750 MHz isn't all that much for these cards either as many seem to hit about 2000-2100 MHz max with better cooling, more voltage and higher power limit.

At the temps you are at you might experience throttling where the card jumps to lower clock speeds as it hits thermal limits. That's the main problem with the FE cooler compared to the non-reference designs.

laxu

Just got my Acer Predator XB271HU IPS model and my msi gtx 970 isn't performing too bad atm. I just hope they hurry up with the faster memory 1080 models. I might pick up a ti depending on the price difference.

You are unlikely to see any real performance increase from the faster memory models. I feel they are all marketing. The GPU will be the bottleneck, not amount of VRAM or its speed. If you consider that for example the AMD Fury cards have HBM which is much faster than GDDR5 yet they are outperformed by the 980 Ti for example in most cases.

I understand wanting the best version if you are considering a 1080 though. You could also consider a used 980 Ti or 1070 if you want to save money because those will still be about 2x 970 in performance. I used to have 2x970 in SLI and had very similar performance with the 980 Ti I now have but don't have to worry about SLI issues. The 1070 is equivalent to 980 Ti in performance generally and both are very good at 1440p.

You are unlikely to see any real performance increase from the faster memory models. I feel they are all marketing. The GPU will be the bottleneck, not amount of VRAM or its speed. If you consider that for example the AMD Fury cards have HBM which is much faster than GDDR5 yet they are outperformed by the 980 Ti for example in most cases.

I understand wanting the best version if you are considering a 1080 though. You could also consider a used 980 Ti or 1070 if you want to save money because those will still be about 2x 970 in performance. I used to have 2x970 in SLI and had very similar performance with the 980 Ti I now have but don't have to worry about SLI issues. The 1070 is equivalent to 980 Ti in performance generally and both are very good at 1440p.

From what I'm seeing in benchmarks I feel like the 1080 would give me the performance I'm looking for. Though I might even consider a ti depending on the price difference once all the aftermarket cards are out.
You're probably right though about the potential performance increase ill hold of a little longer but the GR Wildlands promotion is ending soon.

longdi

Banned
What are the specs of MSI armor? Sometimes AIB use cut down components with a big heatsink that looks expensive.

Xyber

Huh, so this one is actually 30€ cheaper than FE on komplett.se. I am assuming this is just the FE PCB with their cooler slapped on and no upgraded parts. I'm currently waiting for the MSI prices before I jump in on any card though, been more than pleased with my last 2 MSI cards.

DD3NxMp.png

Xyber

What are looking to be the best cards? How are the Inno3D cards? Seems like their upcoming ones will have the best OC options from that list.

Overclocking will most likely be very similar on all cards (OC maxing out somewhere between 2,0 and 2,1GHz). The difference really comes down to temps/noise.

Kevin

There is your answer.

I'm interested in that card but looking to get one in the next 2-3 weeks tops and that's not coming until May. I'm selling my brother my older card and he will be visiting from Alaska in mid April so I'll need a replacement by then.

So I'm basically looking for the best OC cards that I can hopefully order by next week. So if anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated.

Waiting for the MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X to play some games and it feels like the longest wait of my life. I'd kill someone for a date at this point. I'm betting late April like April 28th and I really don't want to wait that long.

Skyr

Waiting for the MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X to play some games and it feels like the longest wait of my life. I'd kill someone for a date at this point. I'm betting late April like April 28th and I really don't want to wait that long.

Ordered one from german retailer mindfactory on friday.

Expected arrival date was April 14th.

paskowitz

What makes the EVGA better than say, an ASUS card? (apart from support)

In terms of end of the day performance, not much. EVGA's "iCX" temperature monitoring and cooling is a nice, unique development. EVGA support is better like you said. Other than that, maybe better water block support. Personally, I think the new EVGA cooler blends in better than Asus's design, which really needs to be paired with their mobos to look right.

Xyber

Well I guess the MSI Gaming X is off the table for me, saw people saying it was actually supposed to be "cheap", but here it's the most expensive one available right now (997€). :(

Cheapest partner card (from the few that are listed atm) is from Gigabyte at 855€.

Skyr

Well I guess the MSI Gaming X is off the table for me, saw people saying it was actually supposed to be "cheap", but here it's the most expensive one available right now (997€). :(

Cheapest partner card (from the few that are listed atm) is from Gigabyte at 855€.

Pre ordered from mindfactory.de on friday for 765€!

Price has gone up now to 829€ tho
https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/11GB-MSI-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-GAMING-X-11G_1159483.html

Expected shipping date is 18.04
hell yeah

Xyber

Pre ordered from mindfactory.de on friday for 765€!

Price has gone up now to 829€ tho
https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/11GB-MSI-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-GAMING-X-11G_1159483.html

Expected shipping date is 18.04
hell yeah

I decided to go with the Gigabyte Aorus (not extreme, since that only seems to be a higher clocked version), which was second cheapest one available here in Sweden. If it wasn't for a GPU, I might have ordered it from some other country here in EU, but if something would go wrong I don't want to be without a GPU for weeks.

Put an order down on 2 stores and I'll see which one will arrive first. They are expected to be shipped on the 5th according to one store.

Xyber

So what cards are actually going to be available to purchase tomorrow? Looking for a good OC card.

It most likely won't matter much at all what card you pick. Just go with whatever brand you like and are willing to pay for. All cards will likely hit their limit just above 2GHz.

Just look up reviews of the coolers on standard 1080's to get a sense of how they perform temp/noise-wise because that's where the main difference will be.

And I doubt many cards will actually be available this week. It seems like most cards will start showing up in the first week of next month (here in Sweden at least).

Xyber

Do the cards start hitting Newegg, etc around 11am Eastern/US time tomorrow (the 28th)?

No one really knows anything on when cards will start to actually be available. Plenty of sites around the world have started putting up more and more cards for pre-order, but no firm dates on when they can be expected to be shipped.

On one Swedish site there's a few different preliminary dates for some cards varying between the 5th and up to the 15th.

We may or may not see any cards up for purchase (as in, will ship right away) tomorrow, it might just all still be pre-orders.

I saw and grabbed an EVGA 1080ti FE today on Amazon, been looking for one since launch, but not willing to pay $150 more to scalpers. I've been wanting to wait for the actual non FE editions, but I feel like somehow I'll miss out on them again and have to wait weeks/months for them to get back in stock.

If I don't plan on overclocking, I should be ok with just getting the FE right?

Weevilone

I saw and grabbed an EVGA 1080ti FE today on Amazon, been looking for one since launch, but not willing to pay $150 more to scalpers. I've been wanting to wait for the actual non FE editions, but I feel like somehow I'll miss out on them again and have to wait weeks/months for them to get back in stock.

Yes they are fine. I've personally found them to be more reliable than the AIB cards long term. Anecdotal I know, but true nonetheless.

Xyber

FE are fine, nothing more and nothing less.

They run quite a bit hotter, which means they overclock worse. But in the end it's a few frames we are talking about here. The main difference will be the noise, partner cards will mostly be extremely quiet under normal loads.

I personally think it was a mistake buying the FE now, but if you don't have time to check for available cards and shit now it's perhaps the smarter choice for you.

I'm going to try for the FTW3 tomorrow, assuming they don't sell them at like midnight and sell them out by the time I get up in the morning. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom