• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Murman

I saw and grabbed an EVGA 1080ti FE today on Amazon, been looking for one since launch, but not willing to pay $150 more to scalpers. I've been wanting to wait for the actual non FE editions, but I feel like somehow I'll miss out on them again and have to wait weeks/months for them to get back in stock.

If I don't plan on overclocking, I should be ok with just getting the FE right?

Yes - you're fine with the FE. I did the same for the 980TI and while I did regret it after a month or so when the custom cards were hitting the market...2 years down the line I am happy I got it.

I managed a decent overclock with it and while it is loud, it doesn't bother me because headphones.

Saying that, i'll be more patient with the 1080TI and try a custom cooler this time, going with a Gigabyte card.

20MHz doesn't seem terribly substantial. In a practical sense how big of an impact will that have on performance?

The real difference will be more than 20 mhz, the armor will boost higher than the aero due to the better cooler, and perhaps the custom pcb. You should only get the aero if you are planning on attaching an aio to it or if you are really limited in space (in which case you'd probably be better off getting a founders Ed).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The real difference will be more than 20 mhz, the armor will boost higher than the aero due to the better cooler, and perhaps the custom pcb. You should only get the aero if you are planning on attaching an aio to it or if you are really limited in space (in which case you'd probably be better off getting a founders Ed).

Already purchased the armor =p

I'm basically doing a buyers remorse check-in to make sure I'm happy with my choice until it arrives and I'm immediately proven to be happy with my choice lol.

Already purchased the armor =p

I'm basically doing a buyers remorse check-in to make sure I'm happy with my choice until it arrives and I'm immediately proven to be happy with my choice lol.

Really, your overclock potential is more tied to the silicon lottery with these cards. Your cooler should out perform the reference blower cooler. It won't be the coolest or the quietest cooler but the factory overclock isn't that important if you are going to overclock the card yourself anyway.

teiresias

Does anyone have an opinion on the non-blower MSI coolers?

Specifically, the one on the Armor vs the one on the Gaming? Between the Armor OC and the Gaming X the advertised boost clock differential seems negligible (40MHz or so), but I'm not sure how the Armor cooler compares noise-wise to the Gaming-series cooler (since I've loved my Gaming X 980's noise performance.

I know the Armor has no backplate, but my card sits vertical and not under anything so that's less of an issue. I am a little concerned about the 2.5 slot 1080 Ti Gaming X fitting in my Silverstond RVZ02 case though.

She's dead, Jim.

c3JC6bV.png

Top Bottom