• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lol.

I miss my Band 2. Battery life and the app are better with Fitbit, but everything else I preferred with the Band.

Could be tough to come back to Windows Mobile. Getting attached to certain apps already. The S8 has been pretty great for me.

Lol.

I miss my Band 2. Battery life and the app are better with Fitbit, but everything else I preferred with the Band.

Could be tough to come back to Windows Mobile. Getting attached to certain apps already. The S8 has been pretty great for me.
But the keyboards are all garbaaaaaaaaage

Seriously thinking of switching back just because of that.

Nikodemos

Aren't Microsoft by now basically waiting for Qualcomm/MediaTek to make SoCs powerful enough for desktop Windows? Does seem like that to me.

How do SD835 and Helio X30 fare when running the full desktop OS?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
SD835 is fine for win10s but nobody cares about that version and the emulation of win32 apps will probably take up more horsepower.

hadareud

The Translator
SD835 is fine for win10s but nobody cares about that version and the emulation of win32 apps will probably take up more horsepower.

Not sure about that. They seemed to suggest that the Win32 emulation was working fine on the 820 already.

Of course it depends what you consider fine - will it be able to run video/photo editing programs at an acceptable level? I doubt it. Is it necessary that it should on lower end laptops and mobile devices? Probably not.

What really matters is performance of everyday Win32 programs (Chrome, Office etc.), if that works well, they're onto a winner*.

(*very likely not an actual winner)

hadareud

The Translator
I think it will likely depend on the device.

I strongly suspect that we'll see laptops and tablets with ARM chips and depending on whether you're running Pro or S I suspect you'll be able to run any program you like.

On a phone/mobile device/whatever they'll call it? Your guess is as good as mine, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

clav

Aren't Microsoft by now basically waiting for Qualcomm/MediaTek to make SoCs powerful enough for desktop Windows?

Windows 10 desktop on ARM releases later this year. ASUS, HP, and Lenovo are the only partners.

So far only x86 works (32-bit).

Expect a push from cell carriers with a focus on selling LTE data plans.

I think it will likely depend on the device.

I strongly suspect that we'll see laptops and tablets with ARM chips and depending on whether you're running Pro or S I suspect you'll be able to run any program you like.

On a phone/mobile device/whatever they'll call it? Your guess is as good as mine, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

If MS is serious about its efforts, you will probably start seeing laptops + tablets up for display at cell phone shops later this year.

edit: These computers will only run full Windows 10. Doesn't make sense to run Windows 10S when x86 compatibility is heavily advertised.

Cortana could still be better. Shame that the timeline feature and everything related to it got delayed. Took Microsoft years to copy Apple's Handoff and then it still got delayed. Is there even anything useful left in RS3? Fluent Design is not even in pre-alpha.

Cortana could still be better. Shame that the timeline feature and everything related to it got delayed. Took Microsoft years to copy Apple's Handoff and then it still got delayed. Is there even anything useful left in RS3? Fluent Design is not even in pre-alpha.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see when fluent is actually realized similar to the concepts they showed off, cause what's in there now isn't really the major stuff.

Just off the top of my head, there are basically...no major features shipping with RS3? Unless you count My People, which personally isn't anything to get excited about now that unified messaging is dead and Win 10 doesn't really unify contacts like mobile does (the apps don't appear to support it).

According to Ms themselves at build the win32 emulation actually is very efficient, with very little overhead and comes pretty close to running native code.

They used the same abstraction layer that they use for running 32bit applications in 64bit versions of windows, with a few extra tweaks to make it very fast.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

The bubble thing with messaging people looked cool, or did they neuter that too?

Yeah it'll be interesting to see when fluent is actually realized similar to the concepts they showed off, cause what's in there now isn't really the major stuff.

Just off the top of my head, there are basically...no major features shipping with RS3? Unless you count My People, which personally isn't anything to get excited about now that unified messaging is dead and Win 10 doesn't really unify contacts like mobile does (the apps don't appear to support it).
The apps do support it on pc, Xbox app syncs with the People app. I think Facebook not supporting is more because the pc version is based on the iPad one, which last I tested also didn't.

As for the features, I guess it's basically everything that was supposed to come with Creators Update. My people, OneDrive On Demand, plus some minor features that are new such as the first cshell implementation on the keyboard, some controls starting to adapt to fluent design. Tons of PDF/epub reading features on edge (but still no tab/extension syncing), support for arm (not that minor to be honest), the gpu monitor in task monitor and better UI for some features like changing the power mode from the battery icon.

clav

Perhaps not for client users.

Seems like a lot of MS's efforts go into improving Windows Server in rs3. Something like this note from an Insider build changelog raises eyebrows.

Pressing EU regulations in 2018 require strict time precision and traceability. Win32tm improvements in RS3 support greater time accuracy, and jitter is removed from the measurements that calibrate the service.

A huge change to nano server (future of Windows Server) reduces its size footprint. Since it's now image based, it supposedly won't use Windows Update anymore.

The apps do support it on pc, Xbox app syncs with the People app. I think Facebook not supporting is more because the pc version is based on the iPad one, which last I tested also didn't.

As for the features, I guess it's basically everything that was supposed to come with Creators Update. My people, OneDrive On Demand, plus some minor features that are new such as the first cshell implementation on the keyboard, some controls starting to adapt to fluent design. Tons of PDF/epub reading features on edge (but still no tab/extension syncing), support for arm (not that minor to be honest), the gpu monitor in task monitor and better UI for some features like changing the power mode from the battery icon.

Yeah, I didn't think that the APIs had gone away, but if the biggest players (facebook) don't have any interest in supporting the feature, it's not very useful for most users.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Have any of you found good substitutes for the awesome Nokia photo apps on either iOS or Android?

Specifically the action shot mode where it stitched together shots to create a sequence, I just saw an old awesome picture of my daughter running in our front yard and it's 4 pictures of her running and jumping stitched to one background. Then there's the refocus app. Would love to see some high quality options.

this_guy

Have any of you found good substitutes for the awesome Nokia photo apps on either iOS or Android?

Specifically the action shot mode where it stitched together shots to create a sequence, I just saw an old awesome picture of my daughter running in our front yard and it's 4 pictures of her running and jumping stitched to one background. Then there's the refocus app. Would love to see some high quality options.

Google Photos app does that.

Action shot like that, no. Shame that feature died with the Lumia 1020 and never even made it to W10.

The refocus, I've only seen it demoed in the new Galaxy Note 8 where it takes iPhone 7+-like portrait pics with blurred backgrounds but the Note adds a slider to control the effect.

Funny you mention these features as I saw 2 different people in the same week still holding on to their 1020's out in the wild. I would have asked them why they were still holding on to their phones but I already knew their answers.

this_guy

I don't know which of the two features I mentioned you were referring to but I can't find either one on the photos app. And shouldn't they be on the camera app instead?

The Photos app is more of a photo gallery. If you take a lot of successive shots the Photos app will automatically create a gif like image/video out of the photos you took.

maeh2k

I'm still on Windows and I now have Bluetooth in my car and I'd like to use it for podcasts and/or audio books.

Any tips on how best to get the content on the phone?

So far, I've only added a couple of files manually to my OneDrive music folder and downloaded them to the phone using the Groove app. Is there a better approach?

I previously used the app "Podcasts" to get podcasts on the phone, but the car can't access them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Photos app is more of a photo gallery. If you take a lot of successive shots the Photos app will automatically create a gif like image/video out of the photos you took.

No that's not what I mean. It would just be one photo with three or so versions of my daughter running across it.

RsazLDA.jpg

kazinova

This one is the pic that got me wondering:

Haven't been to this thread in ages, but the fact that I somehow ended up following your insta made me worried when Irma came through. Seems like you posted in another thread that Irma passed and you're fine. But I was worried about you and your family despite having never met you. Hope everything's okay. Figured I'd post this here instead of a PM since others in the thread might've been wondering the same.

WinMoPho's fo' life...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I'm good, my family's good. Thank you for asking. I feel the same way about the regulars in this thread, like good friends I've just never met in real life. I appreciate it.

maeh2k

grover pro

Thanks for the recommendation. It works pretty well for what I need.
Being able to skip 30 seconds backwards and forwards from my steering wheel is especially helpful.

The only thing that doesn't work as smoothly as I hoped it would is the synchronization between the client on my PC and the client on my phone. Accidentally synced an obsolete state of my playlist to my phone, because I didn't think the sync option would cover that.
Seems like it might work best if I do everything from the phone.

Top Bottom