• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Everything is pointing out to the Surface Phone being a complete 2:1 or even 3:1.

A phone that you can dock and become a desktop, and instead of just having a XL large phone another phone that you can unfold into a tablet and also dock into a desktop (with complete win32 support due to windows on arm).

If I can't use chrome on the undocked version then I won't bother. Edge just isn't compatible enough. I use it as my main browser but I run into compatibility issues almost daily and if I can't have the option of a chrome (or Firefox) then it simply won't work for me. If we can't get apps then at least having a full fledged fully compatible browser is a must. And edge needs to have extensions as well in whatever the phone device is. I'm honestly willing to come back but I need to see a large commitment and not just a throwaway device.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

you gotta be shitting me

After about 4 months one the OnePlus 3T:

-Still missing the WP keyboard (used my mom's 640 a few days ago, the autocorrect, prediction and general layout still work much better for me).
-I still don't have a "Do Not Disturb" setting that works as well as the one on WP8.1 did.
-Battery seems to have taken a nosedive after only a few months.
-Contacts, OneNote and Calendar seem to have sync problems with my MS account (I guess that's not Android's fault per se), and I miss the FB calendar sync.

I guess a lot of that could possibly be fixed with some more fiddling, but meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. It feels like my Lumias did a better job of not getting in my way at the basic task of managing my life.

I will never understand how Google and Apple can't get the facebook contact sync working right. Everyone have good highquality pics on their fb dp, your contacts list instantly becomes good with 1 click of a button.

I HATE, I ABSOLUTELY HATE contacts list on my Android

After about 4 months one the OnePlus 3T:

-Still missing the WP keyboard (used my mom's 640 a few days ago, the autocorrect, prediction and general layout still work much better for me).
-I still don't have a "Do Not Disturb" setting that works as well as the one on WP8.1 did.
-Battery seems to have taken a nosedive after only a few months.
-Contacts, OneNote and Calendar seem to have sync problems with my MS account (I guess that's not Android's fault per se), and I miss the FB calendar sync.

I guess a lot of that could possibly be fixed with some more fiddling, but meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. It feels like my Lumias did a better job of not getting in my way at the basic task of managing my life.

For contacts, you can't add as a MS Account, it will bork your contact list. You have to add it manually as an exchange account. When it asks to sync for contacts mail and calendar you know you got it right and will sync properly.

Paganmoon

Fitbit notifications are out on the official app, you'll have to manually turn it on (still in beta), and might be very buggy still as they're still waiting for some fixes to be implemented by Microsoft (the fixes were sent to desktop builds instead last time apparently).

Will probably not work well with the Blaze or the Surge if you have a 950 even after the GATT Server fixes, as there seems to be some compatibility issues between those trackers and the BT chip on the 950s. Microsoft is looking into a fix, but no timetable.

Paganmoon

Does it require insider builds on the phone and/or app?

Requires creators update (buggy as hell), if you're on slow, will work a bit better, future builds in fast ring will have more fixes. So, no not required to run the beta, but I'd say if you want to actually get notifications, you'll want to be on insider.

So they brought the Pc start menu tot he phones? I hope that means they fixed the horrible 3d flip on both, instead of bringing that abomination to win mobile.

Listening to Windows Weekly (latest episode) and Mary J started talking about project Andromeda, referring to Cassim Ketfi's blog, in specific this blog entry: http://www.numerama.com/tech/259905-andromeda-lincroyable-projet-de-microsoft-pour-revolutionner-le-smartphone.html

Talking about project Andromeda (it's in french)

brevet-microsoft-surface-mobile-pliable-foldable-680x448.jpg

Interesting... What a coincidence that today this leaked just now...

dZsuhNT.png

and

js1PCpp.png

Some cool stuff about to drop n the next year or so from team Panos, can't wait.

6MOZ6be.png

Concept image from Cassim:

DARk050XYAEUj4O.jpg

Finally, all the leaks are aligning with the concept video that Microsoft themselves released some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNhCZMxla00

M0IOpnp.png

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have no doubt that that's the future we are headed to. its just logical evolution of PC, making them smaller and smaller.

But it will never replace your smartphones and that is the fundamental issue for them. I just hope they find their niche.

Prez

Windows 10 has been very buggy on my Lumia 650 lately. I get frequent crashes where the screen just freezes and is unresponsive. It's also quite a bit slower than it used to be. Spotify in particular is very slow. I also have difficulty switching sound sources sometimes, like Spotify not playing if I've last used Groove Music or vice versa, which requires a reboot.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Windows 10 has been very buggy on my Lumia 650 lately. I get frequent crashes where the screen just freezes and is unresponsive. It's also quite a bit slower than it used to be. Spotify in particular is very slow. I also have difficulty switching sound sources sometimes, like Spotify not playing if I've last used Groove Music or vice versa, which requires a reboot.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm getting this on my 950XL. It's been bad for about a month now

They made it... WhatsApp or something.

The new Skype on Android sucks balls

Oh yeah I saw that the other day. They duct taped some Snapchat on top of Skype. Of MSFT's missteps in the last 5-10 years, having absolutely no idea what to do with Skype while it owned the messaging market is maybe the most baffling.

My 950 XL has been freezing like crazy lately after an update s couple of months ago. It seems to happen when using Edge. Is there a different browser I should be using?

Lazaro

^^

I wonder if this already supports xbox?

There actually is a Xbox UWP build floating around, see here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-retrix-retroarch-libretro-port-for-xbox-one.474453/

There are also other emulators built for XB1 like PPSSPP, see here: https://gbatemp.net/forums/xbox-one-tutorials.262/

Side loading UWP apps to Xbox One requires you to enable DEV mode on the console.

My 950 XL has been freezing like crazy lately after an update s couple of months ago. It seems to happen when using Edge. Is there a different browser I should be using?

You could try UC browser for Windows Phone, it seems to be a decent alternative but I don't have much experience with it so I can't tell you if it's good or not :p

UC Browser: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/p/uc-browserhd/9wzdncrfj3kn?rtc=1

Since I needed to wipe my phone after the faulty insider-update, I haven't been able to get to run hey Cortana in German. Any ideas?

I don't have Hey Cortana on the 640 but I had trouble too with Cortana after hard resetting the phone a couple of months back. I reinstalled the Speech and keyboard packs and it seems to be working fine now.

That article seems kind of click-baity. They say Windows Phone support is dead in the title and then follow up it by saying that Microsoft is ending Windows Phone 8.1 support, but they still sell some Windows 10 mobile handsets. Unless the development for Windows 10 mobile has been completely halted I presume Windows Phone isn't technically dead, even if the platform is pretty empty.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Development for what we know as Windows 10 mobile is dead, yes. No more features updates to the platform.

Time for another reboot. Who's with me??!!!!!111!!!1!??

Top Bottom