• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to cook Sweet and Sour Pork, Nintendo-style

koam

Kobun Heat said:
pspwnedhj6.jpg

Pfft, that pic is so fake.. how would you type that on a PSP? :D

On a more serious note, Nintendo needs some type of monicker for these things. Something that's common place for all their non-games.

Kinda like the "for dummies". Adding touch add the beginning or end would be okay i guess though it might not make much sense for some stuff.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
There's really no reason to think this won't come out round the world, cooking is a universal thing and, judging by the amount of cookery programmes on British TV, popular as ever.

What would make this really awesome would be new recipes sent to you by wifi every so often. It's not like that would get in the way of sequels, as sequels could be for specific foods: Italian, Mexican, Indian, desserts, quick snacks etc, so adding recipes by wifi isn't taking away a recipe from a possible sequel.

For those who have it: does it actually work well? I mean, it tells you what to do stage by stage, but cookbooks are supposed to do that and you'll often get to the end of a recipe and find it telling you to put the food into a pre-heated oven at whatever temperature. And you're like "Oh great, tell me to pre-heat it at the end of the recipe so I have to wait 10 minutes until the oven is hot enough when I could have been putting it on 3 stages ago".

Does it have something that explains cooking terms? It would be so damn useful to actually have a graphic (or even a vido, preferably) showing you what it means when it says "fold something in", because reading what you're meant to do isn't always clear.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Ah, excellent! Hopefully it's not just text.

They should have a thesaurus too, because nothing's more annoying than a recipe specifying that you need asafoetida and shallots when, funnily enough, I don't have those lying around the house, nor particularly want to go and buy ingredients just to make one meal. Should say what you could use instead, like onions and garlic in place of shallots.

Flakster99

This cooking game, how long ago was it announced? Was it after, pardon the tired expression, "non-games" became popular? Or was it planned from the beginning, as a part of the "non-games" explosion that we are now seeing, calculated.

Either way, this software has me excited, as I enjoy cooking, having 2 selves full of cook books. The ease, communication involved in this app is very handy, and downright cool. :)

My copy is almost here. I can't wait to start going through all 200. We're ready to start making some Nintendo-style dishes like Mario Pasta and Grilled Yoshi with stuffed portabello Goombas.

evilromero said:
Would it be funny?

the cooking dictionary (failure -_-")
of course it would be funny!!
Things You Need

Peanut Butter
Bread
*person screams "WAIT!!!!! WHAT'S BREAD!!!???*

OK. Bread.
A staple food made from flour or meal mixed with other dry and liquid ingredients, usually combined with a leavening agent, and kneaded, shaped into loaves, and baked.

tEh FuNnY!

Neomoto

Oh man... Brain Training, Big Brain Academy, Sudoku Gridmaster, Club House Games and now Cooking Navi because of this thread. I'm interested in ALL of them. Is the DS turning me in a non-gamer? :( Normally I would never even thought of getting something for cooking, or "training my brain" but I can't wait for Club House Games and Cooking Navi and I still have to get Brain Training and Big Brain Academy (and maybe Sudoku Gridmaster if the sudoku puzzles in Brain Training arn't "enough").

Oh well, just hope a english version of Cooking Navi doesn't take long to come over here, cause I'm really interested in using it :)

Just translate this and make 230472034 other versions for different types of food (indian, chinese, french, italian, mexican) and advertise on the Food Network.

Soul4ger

Kobun Heat said:

:lol Nice.

I still laugh with scorn at the guys who made that pick. WOW PSP HAS ONE AWESOME LAUNCH GAME AND A BIG SCREEN DS IS DOOMED FOREVER BECAUSE PICTOCHAT IS WEAK! Anyway, I like food.

Whoa, how about a Wii version that streams the audio to the Wii controller, so it doesn't have to be in the same room? I wonder if that's possible... if the wireless could go far enough, through walls, etc. You could have the game send a shopping list to your e-mail address that you could print off, go shopping, come back, set the program to Cooking mode and it would tell you how to cook it. That would be rad. Especially with new recipes over Wii Connect24.

Top Bottom