• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to cook Sweet and Sour Pork, Nintendo-style

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
VOOK said:
That reminds of that picture someone took with Pictochat open asking if anyone wanted to play Pokemon Dash but everyone was playing PSP... Ah how the times have changed.

Amazing coinicidence huh?

bjork said:
What the hell? Paying for cooking instructions.

Turn on food network or something, goddamn

Do you have any idea how much money spend on cookbooks? This is hardly a new idea.

Gigglepoo

bjork said:

What? There are thousands of cook books out there. And people pay to go to cooking school too. Why is this any different?

And you frickin' have to pay for The Food Network also! I'm so angry!!!

:)

bjork

Seems like a weird thing to have on a... oh wait. Non-games etc, nevermind.

:goes to play animal crossing:

bjork said:

haha, Youre a gamer, I'd bet you'd just love to criticize this wouldnt you... but guess what, its not for you. This is one of them there nongames. :p

Actually, this interactive cookbook sounds awesome.

Utility Software FtW!

I want a GPS addon next!

Galactic Fork

bjork said:
Seems like a weird thing to have on a... oh wait. Non-games etc, nevermind.

:goes to play animal crossing:

Yeah... next thing you know, we'll see an exercise non-game. Or one that uses a camera.

Kangu

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I wish it would clean the trolls up.

wah wah don't cry yourself to sleep over that

cleaning up after cooking is the worst part of cooking. everyone who cooks knows this.

cvxfreak

Kangu said:
wah wah don't cry yourself to sleep over that

cleaning up after cooking is the worst part of cooking. everyone who cooks knows this.

No shit sherlock!

Anyone can see this as a half-assed attempt to derride the qualities of this software by bringing up dumb stuff like cleaning up. Your non-game trolling is getting old and your ad-hominem attack is equally lame.

Kangu

Banned
cvxfreak said:
No shit sherlock!

Anyone can see this as a half-assed attempt to derride the qualities of this software by bringing up dumb stuff like cleaning up. Your non-game trolling is getting old and your ad-hominem attack is equally lame.

Hahaha you really have gone off the deep end haven't you?

Console Wars, serious business indeed.

duckroll

So.... hungry...... that looks good..... being Chinese, I even know what that really tastes like..... not sure what Jonnyram's version tastes like.... but.... so..... hungry. :(

cvxfreak

duckroll said:
So.... hungry...... that looks good..... being Chinese, I even know what that really tastes like..... not sure what Jonnyram's version tastes like.... but.... so..... hungry. :(

Don't know if you've ever been to the US, but this is American-style Sweet and Sour Pork:

vegsweetsourporksbs.jpg

Looks so lame in comparison! :lol

duckroll

cvxfreak said:
Don't know if you've ever been to the US, but this is American-style Sweet and Sour Pork:

vegsweetsourporksbs.jpg

Looks so lame in comparison! :lol

I've been to the US, but I've never seen that, and.... I don't think I want to again! :lol

PezRadar said:
the US versions directions (sponsored by mcdonalds)

Step 1) Pick up keys to car

Step 2) Drive to McDonalds

Step 3) Eat McDonalds

Done!

At least Ill also have trauma center so I can practice giving myself some triple bypass surgery.

E-Nature

I played a bit around with the japanese version so I was not really able to actually use the software. but I saw some great animations how to correctly cut tomatoes or cucumbers :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jonnyram said:
Also, it has this awesome feature where you can select the number of people you want to cook for and it automatically changes the ingredient amounts :)

That is actually really useful. I never get my amounts right for different numbers of people.

MrSingh

I'm sorry guys, it's not Sweet and Sour Pork unless it's made by a Chinese guy (not that I know anything about cooking though).

Kangu

Banned
YellowAce said:
I'm sorry guys, it's not Sweet and Sour Pork unless it's made by a Chinese guy (not that I know anything about cooking though).

Vietnamese make the best chinese food afaik

Polari

marc^o^ said:
They should release a driving exam software for the DS, this would sell.

It would be pretty niche, but yeah. I wonder what is next? Nintendo teaches embroidery? Nintendo teaches drawing? Nintendo's cocktail guide? A jigsaw puzzle compendium utilising the touch screen? I've got a feeling the non-game craziness has only just begun.

Rahul

duckroll said:
You need to be Chinese to know what sweet/sour pork tastes like?

Polari said:
It would be pretty niche, but yeah. I wonder what is next? Nintendo teaches embroidery? Nintendo teaches drawing? Nintendo's cocktail guide? A jigsaw puzzle compendium utilising the touch screen? I've got a feeling the non-game craziness has only just begun.

I wish they did do a basic drawing app, along the lines of an updated more comprehensive mario paint. I loved tinkering with those limited animation panels on the snes.

mj1108

I thought it was kinda funny at first, but seeing it's like this....it might actually make us single guys cook. And one of my younger brother's is a cooking freak. He'd love this.

NOA bring it here.

I'll buy it. 2 copies.

Galactic Fork

How easy is it to use. Compared to a cookbook that is. Does it expect you to already have a decent knowledge of cooking?

cvxfreak

Polari said:

I predict an excercize training software thingamajig. DS acts as a timer, gives eating tips, lets you input data, so forth.

Kangu

Banned
Jonnyram said:
That's nice. I might post my effort on there :)

Well you'd probably blow their minds so you should post it. Most of their stuff looks nasty.

3.jpg

WTF is this? spaghetti carbonara?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
As silly as it seems, I'd buy one as well. Better late than never to start learning cooking. It could be more enticing than a book.

Jacobi said:
Can you turn the pages by voice command ? That'd be a pretty cool feature if you have "dirty&wet" hands.

Jonnyram said:
It's basically all Japanese stuff... including the usual Japanese variants of other asian dishes. I'm hoping it'll come out in the UK with a nice Yorkshire Pudding recipe. Sure I could resort to cookbooks too, I guess, but it's so convenient being able to yell at the DS to turn the page and having it speak to you so you don't need to be hovering over the pages every other minute.

Also, it has this awesome feature where you can select the number of people you want to cook for and it automatically changes the ingredient amounts :)

cvxfreak said:
I predict an excercize training software thingamajig. DS acts as a timer, gives eating tips, lets you input data, so forth.

Excercize training is definately a wii app as the wiimote will be used to make sure you actually do your reps... it might even count them for you.

Jonnyram

Jacobi said:
Can you turn the pages by voice command ? That'd be a pretty cool feature if you have "dirty&wet" hands.
Yeah, that's one of the main features.
Voice controls are:

"OK" - next step
"Modoru" (return) - previous step
"Kuwashiku" (in details) - further details on this step please
"Mou ikkai" (once more) - repeat this step (useful if you can't see the DS)
"Koe wo ookiku" (speak louder) - speak up, punk, I can't hear you

Forgot to mention a couple of the other features that I noticed.

1) There's a calendar which will record the meals you made automatically. If you get to the end of a recipe, you are asked "Did you make it? or did you just check it?" and it will record your data.

2) There's also a user memo, so you can put your favourite recipes in a bookmark list, and add user comments to them too.

I haven't tried the other functionality yet, but there's stuff like a cooking dictionary and a timer in there too.

Amir0x

Banned
this "non-game" actually seems really useful in a lot of ways, as opposed to sort of slyly attempting to barely meet the criteria for being a game. I like this! I would dig something like this in English, I think.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Scalemail Ted said:
Oh no, I think I'm turning into a nongamer. Im more interested in this now than most games.

Holy shit, Nintendo's killing the industry! Again! :(

What surprises me is that other DS developers, especially opportunistic EA, aren't catching on and creating software of this type while it's still relatively fresh and popular. It looks like easy money, and it would help to offset the looming cost of next-gen game development.

Galactic Fork

cvxfreak said:

Scalemail Ted said:
Excercize training is definately a wii app as the wiimote will be used to make sure you actually do your reps... it might even count them for you.

eyetoy.jpg

yourself.jpg

Top Bottom