• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to cook Sweet and Sour Pork, Nintendo-style

Wow, I could totally see the DS becoming commonplace as a multi-purpose device. We already have a cook book, dictionary, children's books, educational games, language training software and it will have calligraphy training software and a browser.

Using Fuzzy's thing about MPH being bought to be used as a phone, Nintendo could release a cell phone thing for the DS. And imagine what else they could do! PDA software, VisualBasicesque software, etc. I could totally see the DS being a hit among just about everyone in Japan.

mj1108

NintendosBooger said:
What surprises me is that other DS developers, especially opportunistic EA, aren't catching on and creating software of this type while it's still relatively fresh and popular. It looks like easy money, and it would help to offset the looming cost of next-gen game development.

I think a lot of developers thought what Nintendo was wanting to accomplish was a load of bull and thought that "status quo" was the only thing that works. Now that they see this isn't the case, I can see them scrambling to create something -- fast.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
A Link to the Past said:
Wow, I could totally see the DS becoming commonplace as a multi-purpose device. We already have a cook book, dictionary, children's books, educational games, language training software and it will have calligraphy training software and a browser.

Using Fuzzy's thing about MPH being bought to be used as a phone, Nintendo could release a cell phone thing for the DS. And imagine what else they could do! PDA software, VisualBasicesque software, etc. I could totally see the DS being a hit among just about everyone in Japan.

nintendo shouldnt try to go the cell phone route, i could see ds being a standard thing here in japan in a few years though as a multimedia device.

sp0rsk said:
nintendo shouldnt try to go the cell phone route, i could see ds being a standard thing here in japan in a few years though as a multimedia device.

I do hope they bring alot of the software stateside.

Polari

sp0rsk said:
nintendo shouldnt try to go the cell phone route

I agree, but why not position it as a Skype-type service? If people sit in front of their PCs and use Skype, surely they'd use it on the go or even just around the house with the additional freedom the DS would afford.

以下おすすめポイントのコピペ。
Good point of DS oryouri navi

・音声に反応して、レシピの続きを読み上げてくれる。
The continuation of recipe is read out reacting on the voice.

・料理用語・食材のきり方など辞典もあり、初歩的なことから説明してくれる。
There is a dictionary such as the people in the dish term and the ingredient, too
and it explains from a rudimentary thing.

・説明には動画もついていて一目瞭然。
Animation is attached to the explanation, too and it is obvious.

・食材の保存法や、道具・器具などの説明がある。
There are preservation method of the ingredient and explanations such as the
tool and apparatus.

・材料を人数に応じて自動で計算してくれる。
The material is calculated by the automatic operation according to the number
of people.

・レシピ検索が、食材・キーワード・ジャンル・カロリー・食事シーン・からだの調子などのさまざまな条件に応じてできる。
It is possible to do according to various conditions of the condition etc. the recipe retrieval because of the ingredient, the key word genre calorie, and the meal scene.

・材料にチェックを入れられるので、家にあるものにチェック後、スーパーで残りの材料を買えば、買い忘れなし。
Forgetting to buy none because the check is put in the material if the material of the remainder is bought supermarket after the one in the house is checked.

・冷蔵庫にあるものや家にある道具からメニューを提案してくれる。
It proposes the menu from tools in the one and the house that exists in the
refrigerator.

・レシピに自分なりのメモを残して、オリジナルレシピにできる。
The memo of my own way is left for recipe, and it makes it to original recipe.

・伝言メモが残せて、さまざまな音声で発音してくれる。
The message memo can be left, and it pronounces by various voices.

・音声対応のタイマーがついている。
The timer for the voice is attached.

・カレンダーに料理したメニューを記録できる。
The cooked menu can be recorded in the calendar.

・嫌いなものやアレルギーがあるものなど、NG食材を設定できる。
The NG ingredient like the hated one and the one, etc. with allergies can be
set.

Windwalker said:
set.

Thats awesome, So if youre say lactose intolerant, you input that into the DS and it only brings up the recipes that wouldnt use dairy products. Wow, thats really well thought out.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Neo Child said:
Whatchoo laffin' at?

set.
err don't use babelfish people.

ShinNL

Jonnyram said:
I hadn't planned to... I might be more of a weekend chef as I'm usually pretty knackered when I get home from work. I want to try the "Set Menu" feature, though, to see how it copes with cooking a few recipes at the same time, since that's usually how Japanese meals are made up.
There's an option like that? Woah.

MutFox

Banned
Polari said:
I agree, but why not position it as a Skype-type service? If people sit in front of their PCs and use Skype, surely they'd use it on the go or even just around the house with the additional freedom the DS would afford.

For sure, it'll happen, probably through homebrew 1st.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Windwalker said:
以下おすすめポイントのコピペ。
set.
Yeah, I can put off bacon ^^.

Jacobi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Yeah, that's one of the main features.
Voice controls are:

"OK" - next step
"Modoru" (return) - previous step
"Kuwashiku" (in details) - further details on this step please
"Mou ikkai" (once more) - repeat this step (useful if you can't see the DS)
"Koe wo ookiku" (speak louder) - speak up, punk, I can't hear you

Forgot to mention a couple of the other features that I noticed.

1) There's a calendar which will record the meals you made automatically. If you get to the end of a recipe, you are asked "Did you make it? or did you just check it?" and it will record your data.

2) There's also a user memo, so you can put your favourite recipes in a bookmark list, and add user comments to them too.

I haven't tried the other functionality yet, but there's stuff like a cooking dictionary and a timer in there too.
****ing awesome, I want a version for my European tongue (I actually like to cook, but with this it'd be soooo fun).
Also : Cook some more and post pics !

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's been asked, but not answered yet. How much does this cost? And please convert in American dollars so I can understand.

Thanks. It looks pretty cool.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I dunno, this sounds a bit like taking the long route around, having your DS Lite nearby all the time while cooking (why would I want to risk getting stains on my precious DS Lite :(), and trying to read on the rather small screen as opposed to reading an actual book. I could see myself pick this up if it's really cheap though (at most $20), but then...books are probably still a lot cheaper. It sounds pointless in that respect, but perhaps it's the kind of thing you don't realize you "need" until you've tried it.

Bo130

Kiriku said:
I dunno, this sounds a bit like taking the long route around, having your DS Lite nearby all the time while cooking (why would I want to risk getting stains on my precious DS Lite :(), and trying to read on the rather small screen as opposed to reading an actual book.

As Jonnyram mentioned, you can place it on the other side of the kitchen, and you voice commands to get through the steps. You don't have to touch it or read at all, once you get started.

Jonnyram said:
Voice controls are:

"OK" - next step
"Modoru" (return) - previous step
"Kuwashiku" (in details) - further details on this step please
"Mou ikkai" (once more) - repeat this step (useful if you can't see the DS)
"Koe wo ookiku" (speak louder) - speak up, punk, I can't hear you.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Bo130 said:
As Jonnyram mentioned, you can place it on the other side of the kitchen, and you voice commands to get through the steps. You don't have to touch it or read at all, once you get started.

What, so the DS actually reads it out loud for you? Or do you still have to walk over to the DS and read what it says? Still sounds somewhat cumbersome just for the principle of using a DS instead of a book. But I guess it's easy to carry around if you want to cook while travelling. :p

Kiriku said:
What, so the DS actually reads it out loud for you? Or do you still have to walk over to the DS and read what it says? Still sounds somewhat cumbersome just for the principle of using a DS instead of a book. But I guess it's easy to carry around if you want to cook while travelling. :p
It reads out loud. But you have to read this thread on your own ;P

Bo130

Kiriku said:

Yes,

but it's so convenient being able to yell at the DS to turn the page and having it speak to you so you don't need to be hovering over the pages every other minute.

And it's not just a cookbook, it actually has a lot of handy features included. Read the thread :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
:Motorbass said:
It reads out loud. But you have to read this thread on your own ;P

Like hell I am, give me a non-game that'll read the threads out loud for me. ;P
Anyway, that sounds better at least but still kinda doubtful until I've tried it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
NintendosBooger said:
How often do you really need to go to the cookbook when preparing a meal?

In my case, several times. I can't keep it all in my head, it's enough to keep track of everything that might get burnt. Maybe I make too complex dishes. :/

Kiriku said:
Anyway, that sounds better at least but still kinda doubtful until I've tried it.
Yeah. Until I thought about the functions like the included timer, according ingredients depending on how many people you want to cook for and searching for recipies with special ingredients / ingredients you like/dislike. That's really useful.

I hope they release an international version with like 30-40 meals from several countries. That would rock.

DS makes me do things I wouldn't do before. :/

big_z

It be awesome if you could enter your diet plan data(daily calories/carbs/fat/etc) and then it would pick meals or slightly alter them to a healthier version that fit your nutritional needs.

E-phonk

Banned
big_z said:
It be awesome if you could enter your diet plan data(daily calories/carbs/fat/etc) and then it would pick meals or slightly alter them to a healthier version that fit your nutritional needs.
They need to keep those features for their Cuisine Navi 2: body training games.

Meier

Man, I said it before I even knew half these features that'd I'd love to try this, but now I'm blown away. Sounds incredibly detailed and like a very useful piece of software. Color me impressed. :)

ninge

i would buy this if it was just converted to englsih - i'd love to try the japanese dishes - but a more western version would also rock :)

Next - bring out a cheap in-car GPS system for the DS please!

jarrod

Banned
ninge said:
i would buy this if it was just converted to englsih - i'd love to try the japanese dishes - but a more western version would also rock :)
I expect we'll likely see multiple "cookbooks" should this get the western greenlight.

n-off

same here. I love japanese food and i'd like to cook it myself using that thing - but i don't know any japanese. So, please just give this a translation.

Bo130

As concluded in the other topic; in the interview of Nintendo of Spain on Vandal.net, he mentioned, that he wanted English Training and DS Cooking (this) released in Europe - perhaps already by the end of the year. English Training is now officially announced, but it's bound to take more time to bring the Cooking title over, so I expect to see it around february or so.

And localized versions would be cool, ya. One for each major country in Europa - like English Training will be getting.

Top Bottom