• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little details you appreciate in Horizon Zero Dawn (may contain spoilers)

Tosyn_88

The eyes on the characters are amazing. Not many open world games can have this level of detail on the characters. I even found weird angles to zoom in to see if the character models would lose detail and it wasn't the case. The detail is the same both in game and in cutscene which was very very impressive work. Seeing Horizon and then seeing Mass Effect, it just makes you wonder because from what i have seen, Horizon face models make Mass Effect look far behind.

I also remember i saw a dragonfly by a pond when i was trying to fish, the game does have a lot of nice detail that smacks you in the face. I also love looking at the Sunset or Moonlight, very beautiful

Xeteh

Not sure if it was mentioned but on the machines' armor there are little icons for the cauldron where they were built which is also where Aloy would learn to override that specific machine.

I asked SunhiLegend and he did it:

ltFC6rX.gif

I'm amazed by the little details, like the wire still attached and dangling around the Snapmaw!

Nesotenso

this games is incredibly well polished and an amazing achievement. Some of the lip syncing when talking with NPCs can be improved but otherwise just stellar to look at and play.

Venture

If you follow some of the people carrying crates around Meridian you can see them take it all the way out of the city, set it down on a stack of crates, picked up a new one from another stack and carry it back into the city.

Venture

The eyes on the characters are amazing. Not many open world games can have this level of detail on the characters. I even found weird angles to zoom in to see if the character models would lose detail and it wasn't the case. The detail is the same both in game and in cutscene which was very very impressive work. Seeing Horizon and then seeing Mass Effect, it just makes you wonder because from what i have seen, Horizon face models make Mass Effect look far behind.

I also remember i saw a dragonfly by a pond when i was trying to fish, the game does have a lot of nice detail that smacks you in the face. I also love looking at the Sunset or Moonlight, very beautiful
Yeah, there's so much going on with the eyes besides a painted on texture. The reflections really add a lot.
32675688473_5865425d99_b.jpg

Also just noticed Aloy has a scar on her neck from being attacked at the proving.

The overall level of detail is just astounding.

laxu

Water interaction when Aloy is swimming is the only thing I can complain about visually.

Cool thread, did not even notice many of the things mentioned.

Venture

Going back to inverse kinematics, I was goofing around last night, trying to jump onto a statue and this happened:

She actually tries to straddle the two figures.

fwrOjpog.jpg

q02TC74.jpg

I was expecting she would just kind of magically stand in the middle of them. It's a bit glitchy (looks like she broke her ankle in the second pic) but pretty impressive.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
X-post from main thread, by request.

Holy...wow!

The little things in this is amazing! During
The mountain that fell, I think,
I was climbing over a big drop and Aloy goes "don't look down!" I looked down and she responded with something like "damn!" :D :D

67 hours in, just got the super armour (holy shit that thing kicks ass), and running around cleaning up collectibles and side quests.

That armor is something else. During the "last" corrupted zone
with the two rockbreakers
, I was getting hit with stuff constantly that would've killed me 100 times over. They did eventually get me tho, at it again tomorrow.

Just noticed this while fooling around post game:

If you stick a grenade to a piece of armor on a machine and then blow it off (I used a tearblast arrow) the grenade will still be stuck to the armor piece that flew off.

Adree

X-post from main thread, by request.

Holy...wow!

The little things in this is amazing! During
The mountain that fell, I think,
I was climbing over a big drop and Aloy goes "don't look down!" I looked down and she responded with something like "damn!" :D :D

67 hours in, just got the super armour (holy shit that thing kicks ass), and running around cleaning up collectibles and side quests.

That armor is something else. During the "last" corrupted zone
with the two rockbreakers
, I was getting hit with stuff constantly that would've killed me 100 times over. They did eventually get me tho, at it again tomorrow.

That's exactly how I dealt with them. That fight was too much of a nightmare to do without it. I don't like fighting even normal versions of them.

NXGamer highlighted one of the most amazing details ever made in video games:

The dynamic weather system brings snow or rainstorms which create puddles that evaporate gradually when the sun comes back:

pBFp2sr.gif

I am so amazed. I have never seen such detail occuring real time in any video game before. I expected Kojima San to do such detail in MGS5 since he is fond of such details but he didn't. Now he has no reason not to do it since he uses this same outstanding engine.

Also the puddles directy exposed to the sun disappear faster than those in the shades.

It reminds me of a detail I just discovered in MGS2 where ice cubes from the bucket melt, and the ones next to each others melt slower than those separated.
Now Kojima San can do wonders with this engine.

I like how conversations change depending on what quests you've done so most characters aren't telling you to do things you've already done.

I also like the rain dripping from people's beards and soaking their clothes. It's very cool to see during conversation scenes.

I noticed tonight, and I'm pretty certain this is correct, that more plants grow beside a river than elsewhere. I've spent a lot of time looking around outside of Meridian and I'm sure this is true.

When hanging for long time on a ledge, Aloy releases one of its hands and shakes it to ease her cramps:

NXGamer highlighted one of the most amazing details ever made in video games:

The dynamic weather system brings snow or rainstorms which create puddles that evaporate gradually when the sun comes back:

pBFp2sr.gif

I am so amazed. I have never seen such detail occuring real time in any video game before. I expected Kojima San to do such detail in MGS5 since he is fond of such details but he didn't. Now he has no reason not to do it since he uses this same outstanding engine.

Also the puddles directy exposed to the sun disappear faster than those in the shades.

It reminds me of a detail I just discovered in MGS2 where ice cubes from the bucket melt, and the ones next to each others melt slower than those separated.
Now Kojima San can do wonders with this engine.

Wow, this is amazing. The attention to detail is second to none!

Angst

I noticed tonight, and I'm pretty certain this is correct, that more plants grow beside a river than elsewhere. I've spent a lot of time looking around outside of Meridian and I'm sure this is true.
The way plants, trees and other vegetation is placed logically is probably a parameter in the procedural generation of the map. They where really quite clever with the engine and spent a lot of time making it look real (hyper-real).

DanceLeaf

Neo Member
If you call a mount and you start running it will follow you at the same speed so you can ride it.
Also if you jump from a high place to the mount you'll perfect straddle it.

The poetry inside the metal flowers makes me think they're somehow a glitchy remnant of
Apollo
, which to me is just an achingly beautiful idea.

Top Bottom