• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

RedAssedApe

Banned
Tabata and his team visited Turn 10 yesterday. Getting the Scorpio patch ready?
C9yo_6uVwAA-qYs.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/billgiese/status/854745467371962368

be cooler if they went there to talk about programing cars

Have they fixed the atrocious framepacing, or atleast provide a lock to 30 fps for the lite mode as it was before?

there are many in the camp that would prefer a locked 30 to unlocked frame rate.

unlocked never bothered me in games like infamous and Tomb raider but i wouldn't call it objectively better.

You guys jumped the gun a little, huh? New patch next week adding new mode for PS4 Pro.

The game would have been so much better if they halved / eliminated the exp given per side quest and gave AP too. Then story quests that would reward the same amount of XP as now would have allow gamers to not overlevel like they could and the trade-off being more abilities from all the AP to use earlier in the game.

More AP would be nice but if you invest early in the Exploration tab in Ascension AP comes pretty quickly just from walking/driving about.

The game would have been so much better if they halved / eliminated the exp given per side quest and gave AP too. Then story quests that would reward the same amount of XP as now would have allow gamers to not overlevel like they could and the trade-off being more abilities from all the AP to use earlier in the game.
Yep. I think that'd be a much better balance for the game (and much better reason to actually do sidequests, whereas 1000 xp is essentially worthless).

More AP would be nice but if you invest early in the Exploration tab in Ascension AP comes pretty quickly just from walking/driving about.
The problem was always the 999 nodes. Their combined AP cost is higher than the combined cost of the rest of the board by quite a lot, and some of their effects aren't even that good. Banking that amount of AP without either specifically grinding for it or taking advantage of timed quests isn't fun and isn't—in my opinion—a reasonable expectation of players.

The problem was always the 999 nodes. Their combined AP cost is higher than the combined cost of the rest of the board by quite a lot, and some of their effects aren't even that good. Banking that amount of AP without either specifically grinding for it or taking advantage of timed quests isn't fun and isn't—in my opinion—a reasonable expectation of players.

Also a bunch of the 333 nodes have pretty crappy effects (like the experience-from-fishing one).

Honestly, I think the game should be rebalanced to give the player a lot more AP (like the effects of the Fanfare accessories really should be Ascension grid abilities), rebalance the cost of some of these nodes, and to add a bunch of new nodes with new abilities to improve your party members, to improve magic, et cetera.

Lnds500

Also a bunch of the 333 nodes have pretty crappy effects (like the experience-from-fishing one).

Honestly, I think the game should be rebalanced to give the player a lot more AP (like the effects of the Fanfare accessories really should be Ascension grid abilities), rebalance the cost of some of these nodes, and to add a bunch of new nodes with new abilities to improve your party members, to improve magic, et cetera.

Yep. If anything, this games scream unbalanced - in more ways that the Ascension grid.

Yeah, I agree.

Regarding the 333 nodes, though, I will say that I think even the bad ones are still far more reasonable than any 999 node. 333 is a lot of AP, but it's still doesn't take too long to bank, as long as you're willing to forego a handful of cheaper abilities. The 999 ones, though, expect you to forego pretty much the entire board for them, which is nonsense.

MilkBeard

Just got back into the game after finishing Dark Souls 3 DLC. Felt nice actually, feels fun to play, and can't wait to jump back in. I just reached Altissia, and shit's about to go down soon.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Went back a couple days ago and got the Platinum. Getting Gladio's survival skill up to 10 (from 9.5) was a slog and required running across 3/4 of the map on foot, but other than that it wasn't so bad. Finally ran through Costlemark for the last Armiger, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Last trophy I needed was
Adamantoise
, and by that point I kinda felt like I was done, so I just
cheesed him with the ring
. :lol I'll go back and fight him legit someday, I'm sure.

Anyway, even with the Platinum I still feel like I have plenty to do (only did one sealed door dungeon, still have hunts to do, still have a handful of side-quests, haven't even touched Chocobo racing, etc.). Definitely think I'll end up coming back at some point to do all of it. Hell, even after 70-ish hours, I haven't seen the Titan summon once. So yeah, still plenty reason to come back.

Love this game, definitely my favorite of last year. :D

Yup, supposedly. I wonder when it will hit. It's already 27th for me, so I'm curious if I will be able to play with the updates or not today.

It's available right now, actually. :)

Went back a couple days ago and got the Platinum. Getting Gladio's survival skill up to 10 (from 9.5) was a slog and required running across 3/4 of the map on foot, but other than that it wasn't so bad. Finally ran through Costlemark for the last Armiger, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Last trophy I needed was
Adamantoise
, and by that point I kinda felt like I was done, so I just
cheesed him with the ring
. :lol I'll go back and fight him legit someday, I'm sure.

Anyway, even with the Platinum I still feel like I have plenty to do (only did one sealed door dungeon, still have hunts to do, still have a handful of side-quests, haven't even touched Chocobo racing, etc.). Definitely think I'll end up coming back at some point to do all of it. Hell, even after 70-ish hours, I haven't seen the Titan summon once. So yeah, still plenty reason to come back.

Love this game, definitely my favorite of last year. :D

That's awesome to hear! Don't forget about timed quests that are being implemented back in today! Gives you a reason to come back often to get new items, titles, and fun little hunts to do. :D

MilkBeard

It's available right now, actually. :)
Yep, right on time. Downloaded as soon as I woke up. Been doing some quests in Altissia, I think I'll go play around the world a bit before pushing the story forward. I want to upgrade this Blood Sword. It was pretty badass in Duscae, but it feels like they nerfed its power and visual effects in the full game, which is a bit of a bummer.

Minamu

Anyone got any tips for the fishing timed quest? I caught 17 fishes but the leaderboards have people at 160+ in an hour :lol I just want points for the sword/ap.

ultima786

Do you think the fact that the timed event was "fishing" may indicate that they'll add some indepth side quests for future timed quests? This game deserves more than its fetchy-questy sidequests

SoulUnison

Banned
Do you think the fact that the timed event was "fishing" may indicate that they'll add some indepth side quests for future timed quests? This game deserves more than its fetchy-questy sidequests

I've always felt that one of the best thing they could do would be to release full fledged side quests as "Timed Quests" and then just leave them in the game permanently with reduced rewards once their "featured period" was over.

However, that'd probably just get even more people screaming "Early Access game!"

MilkBeard

Finished chapter 9. You can put me firmly into the 'chapter 9 is cool' camp.

Also:
I haven't seen anyone mention how they actually made Ignis' blindness as part of the gameplay for a while (at least in chapter 10). This is quite surprising,
as video games rarely show injury as a mechanic, outside if story purposes. Props to the devs for actually doing this instead of just making him sit it out for some time.

Ludens

Banned
Why 1.09 is 17gb for me? It should be almost 5 gb. I have the previous patch installed and Gladio dlc too, digital version. Yesterday the game wouldn't download the patch giving me an error, today it works but the patch is 4x the size it should be.

Toth

Geez, I fished like crazy at Quay and still only got 60. How are people catching 140+ in an hour???

I have mid gear fish equipment so perhaps the speed is THAT noticeable?

I've always felt that one of the best thing they could do would be to release full fledged side quests as "Timed Quests" and then just leave them in the game permanently with reduced rewards once their "featured period" was over.

However, that'd probably just get even more people screaming "Early Access game!"

Yeah and that's what kills me, too.

I'd love for them to do that, too, but I would also be afraid of the backlash from people. I personally would tell them to screw the haters and do the things they want and make the content they want to make.

Finished chapter 9. You can put me firmly into the 'chapter 9 is cool' camp.

Also:
I haven't seen anyone mention how they actually made Ignis' blindness as part of the gameplay for a while (at least in chapter 10). This is quite surprising,
as video games rarely show injury as a mechanic, outside if story purposes. Props to the devs for actually doing this instead of just making him sit it out for some time.

Awesome! :D

Also,
yeah, I like that they did that. I agree it's a shame people don't mention it more often. But then again most people are too busy hating/defending the game to talk about what things it does right and what memorable things the game does. Glad you enjoyed that part, though!

Why 1.09 is 17gb for me? It should be almost 5 gb. I have the previous patch installed and Gladio dlc too, digital version. Yesterday the game wouldn't download the patch giving me an error, today it works but the patch is 4x the size it should be.

That is weird. Worked fine for me...

Can you screenshot it?

Geez, I fished like crazy at Quay and still only got 60. How are people catching 140+ in an hour???

With a good rod and cast you can catch fish pretty damn fast.

Ludens

Banned
That is weird. Worked fine for me...

Can you screenshot it?

I discovered what happened: FFXV got corrupted dunno why, since now I can't even boot the game (it says data are corrupted), so probably I'm downloading the patch plus 12 gb of corrupted data...it's strange because yesterday I booted the game and it was fine, no crashes, freezes, PS4 was turned off correctly. Well, whatever, tomorrow I'll download it.

Yeah, it makes a huge difference. The top fishing gear can drag up a small fish in, like, 1 second, and you won't need to even account for turning the rod or anything.

DNAbro

Finally finished up the platinum

C-mxRx9XcAAVNWS.jpg

Game is still incredibly fun to play. It's one of those things I keep going back to get more time in. Also the Afrosword seems like it is way too much effort to get.

Ludens

Banned
So, the fishing quest is only 50 QP no matter how many you catch? That sucks.

Apparently yes. I think it's very dumb, I mean, how many weeks will need to grind to get that AFROJACK sword.
Anyway I'm done with the game, today I was doing one of the secret dungeon and my game crashed for the very first time in my entire plaay, but I lost two hours of crappy grinding fights, I have zero will to start all over again honestly.
I believe the crash is due to using the Ragnarok, since I equipped it for the first time today, maybe there are too many effect when using it (red light etc)? Maybe a coincidence? Dunno.

I gotta say as someone who waited ten years for this game (and has been through hell and high water through it's promotion) it's super, super flawed to the point where it actively bothers me and I think about it constantly. What this game could have been had the management at SE not been such a utter mess this past decade. Even then...I've still clocked in about 200 hours in this game and plan to do a New Game+ (despite that not really being much to look at either but i wanna redo
the secret dungeons :p
). I think one day I'll be able to accurately summarize my thoughts of this game as I definitely don't hate it, but I guess it'll never really compare to what could have been had Tabata been given more time or if Nomura actually got a chance to continue developing it.

One thing I will say though is that Kingsglaive is probably the worst FF movie so far, and I'm struggling to understand just why it exists when it really would have been SO much better to have Noctis there during the little party and Lucis come under attack from Nifilheim like in that Versus trailer in 2010, but that was 7 years ago and this is now. It's not just that but everything plot wise is just.....garbage in this game, some of the characters are so under utilized
(AHEM COR??!! he really should have just been apart of the party instead of rotting away in fucking Cape Caem for god knows whatever reason)
that I struggle to wonder why they were even included beyond a nod towards Versus fans. Same goes for some of the music, particularly the stuff from Versus that was imported to this game like?? When those songs play they barely even fit the scenes they're in and it's so obvious the game's themes had taken such drastic turn that the music would no longer fit, and honestly it's some of Shimomura's best work in comparison to the rest of the soundtrack which is either forgettable or like the characters under utilized.

I honestly feel that XV should have been a completely different game and not the reused assets from Versus, but I understand they they didnt want what they currently had to go to waste. It's just way too obvious that much of it has been patched together with duct tape and it leans heavily on whatever nostalgia the Versus fans had for the concept. Regardless, there are still many things I enjoy about the game, I came away really enjoying the company of Gladdy, Ignis, and Prompto, and I really like the battle system despite how deceptively simple it is. I'll give Tabata props for a least trying to pull this shit together, but this game still has me wondering if it's a bigger disappointment to me than FF13 despite the fact that I enjoy playing it far more. All I know now is that I'm never putting my faith in SE to put out a game in a timely manner and if it takes more than 4 years I should just forget it exists tbh.

h3ro

This Quest system is so needlessly convoluted.

Wish they kept the previous Hunt system and just dumped all the rewards after completing the requirements. Heck, make us catch some stupid hard fish for all I care, but I don't have time to be grinding QPs so I can Unce Unce Unce up a Behemoth's head.

DNAbro

After finishing up the platinum yesterday. I decided today I would clean up all the Episode Gladio trophies. The 1,000,000 Point score attack one is incredibly difficult and I'm so happy I was actually able to do it. Took a few tries though.

Can't wait for the next DLC.

Started playing this again the other day. I was only on chapter 3 when I left off. Still am. Really enjoying it again, but man I forgot how long it takes to travel anywhere...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, so having finished Persona 5, I'm *finally* starting this game. Has been with me since November lol. Playing the game on a Pro in High mode. I dabbed in the Lite and Stable mode, the Lite mode's frame rate boost is welcome but the excessive shimmering and hazy-ness on distant objects/scenery is a deal breaker. The frame-pacing related hitching is some times noticeable but I will easily take the visual quality boost.

Really digging the different mechanics of the game. I'd say this is more akin to Dragon's Dogma in terms of exploration and how fucked up the night-time monsters are than other WRPGs.

Also, fighting a few cactaurs, using some of the EXP boosting magic spells and using the nixperience accessory from the free holiday pack and bam, level 25 and hundreds of disposable XP at the end of chapter 1.

The rendering of the food items in the game is absolutely BONKERS. Some artist had a real fun time getting this done. I love how you can see the little flaked off bits on the plates too.

If it wasn't for the rare texture popin when the food plate comes in, I'd have mistaken some of these for stock photos.

The character models often look very good. Cindy in particular has a great character model bar the exposed midrif and boobs popping out. Something more sensible would have gone a long way.

and I'm really digging the 'road trip' aspect of the game. If only Ignis and Gladious had better VA and the game had a little improvements in the writing department, they could have pulled off something real amazing in terms of character development and comradery. Surprisingly the character I thought might be the most annoying, Prompto, has been the most endearing one so far.

also, Prompto has a good eye for pictures .. sometimes.

and some game play screens to finish this post:

finalfantasyxv_201704yhs7m.png

finalfantasyxv_201704xls56.png

finalfantasyxv_201704w7yz2.png

finalfantasyxv_201704dob45.png

Kweh

It's taken a while for me to click with this game but I think i'm slowly getting there. One of my main issues is how long it takes to get to places, especially walking around, but I have just unlocked the ability to rent chocobos and it's made it a lot better.

MilkBeard

It's taken a while for me to click with this game but I think i'm slowly getting there. One of my main issues is how long it takes to get to places, especially walking around, but I have just unlocked the ability to rent chocobos and it's made it a lot better.

Pretty soon you can chocobo almost anywhere, and then when you've been to enough destinations, do fast travel and it won't feel so bad. It still takes forever to drive across the map, though, but these things help a bit. You just have to plan to stay in an area longer and try to tackle a few things before moving along. I will just end up going to the bathroom or grabbing some snacks or reading gaf or something if I have to do a long drive. Not that often, though.

And to chandoog: game is looking good in High mode. Kinda jelly. Frame pacing isn't too big an issue for me, as I enjoyed Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, and my brain kind of stops paying attention to it after a while, as long as I don't switch to a smoother game and come back.

Game looks good in basic PS4, although the lack of AF really hurts in some areas, especially the desert where you can notice it most. If they had just worked in some better AF, it would improve tremendously. Still a great looking game though.

I think they should just use chocobos for a means of transport for the next games. Way more fun. They don't need to make the world so scaled too, just fill it up better.

I enjoyed my first play through, but I think I'll enjoy it more once its fully realized lol. I'll probably replay in a year which makes me excited. The game is rushed but I think people bag it a lil too much.

MilkBeard

I think they should just use chocobos for a means of transport for the next games. Way more fun. They don't need to make the world so scaled too, just fill it up better.

I enjoyed my first play through, but I think I'll enjoy it more once its fully realized lol. I'll probably replay in a year which makes me excited. The game is rushed but I think people bag it a lil too much.

Yeah, it's fun for me. Most of the problems I have with it come down to the devs not having enough time to fully realize what they wanted to do. I even think the story concepts are really great, and if they actually spent the time to work it better, it would be a really good story. But alas, we have what we have, and it is a flawed, but enjoyable game. I think having all of the DLC will at least help round out the completeness of the story.

I also agree with your comment about the world and chocobos. Make the world a bit smaller, and Chocobo the main way to travel and it would be great for the next game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have a probably unpopular opinion but:

I thought FFXV was more memorable than P5, even if the story is a bit lacking in FFXV and P5 having better gameplay. :/

Just note, I platinumed both games to completion.

I dunno, FFXV is definitely a flawed but memorable gem.

I have a probably unpopular opinion but:

I thought FFXV was more memorable than P5, even if the story is a bit lacking in FFXV and P5 having better gameplay. :/

Just note, I platinumed both games to completion.

I dunno, FFXV is definitely a flawed but memorable gem.

I can't really definitively say it as I am only in the third palace but I feel the exact same way right now. Played a few hours of XV last night and forgot how good it is and how fun it is. I almost believed the hate and negativity. I am sure some might say I am just biased, but this is how I genuinely feel. Glad you said it first.
I've been thinking the same for about a week and a half and thought I was the only one. :)

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh man, I love this game, but what the fuck at this new Timed Quest?

A bunch of quick, bulky enemies that leaps around constantly and erratically...
Also, they have access to an Instant KO attack.
Oh, and let's put them all in the middle of a narrow ravine path, making getting your bearings on the chaos impossible.

Did the person who made this quest ever actually play this game?

In The Mind of: Ardyn Izunia

Really great video made by a fan about Ardyn. Some really great stuff in the video. Makes me want to replay the game. Spoilers obviously.

Oh man, I love this game, but what the fuck at this new Timed Quest?

A bunch of quick, bulky enemies that leaps around constantly and erratically...
Also, they have access to an Instant KO attack.
Oh, and let's put them all in the middle of a narrow ravine path, making getting your bearings on the chaos impossible.

Did the person who made this quest ever actually play this game?

I thought it was fun... Tested me to think about how to take them on and avoid getting hit.

On another note... Is anyone else playing on base PS4? For some strange reason the game looks a lot cleaner and seems to run better. Also I am noticing more unique animations that weren't there before. (I believe)

Also it seems like the Armiger is easier to follow and is flashier and faster. (I activate the Armiger about half way into the video.)

Any tips on getting 1 million points for Episode Gladio?

Parrying gives you the most amount of points. I don't have it yet but I've gotten very close. Watching people who have gotten it, it comes down to parrying often, avoid getting hit, avoid using items, complete as fast as possible.

I know limiting yourself to parrying may seem like it'll slow you down but when you get 3,000 - 5,000 points for every parry compared to 300 - 700 points for a regular hit, it really starts to add up.

MilkBeard

I can't really definitively say it as I am only in the third palace but I feel the exact same way right now. Played a few hours of XV last night and forgot how good it is and how fun it is. I almost believed the hate and negativity. I am sure some might say I am just biased, but this is how I genuinely feel. Glad you said it first.
I've been thinking the same for about a week and a half and thought I was the only one. :)

I haven't played Persona 5, so I can't comment on that end. But Final Fantasy XV still gives me a good feeling when I pick it up and play it.

I'm really hoping the devs put in a hard mode so I can find reason to grind further in NG+ (when I inevitably get there). Crossing my fingers it will be added with one of the DLC patches.

EDIT: as for your comment about base PS4 graphics, I think the game looks quite good with a standard PS4. My only complaint is the lack of decent AF, which is noticeable in areas like the desert. Otherwise, it looks quite good.

Top Bottom