• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Special Edition finally hitting the Switch this week

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
As much as I want to get it, I'm not buying undercooked shit (pun intended). This is ridiculous. Fix your framerate issues before releasing games. You knew what you were giving us. Make a professional first impression, and not iron out obvious problems weeks down the line after people have bought your product. For big games, I get it. This?

Wow. What a fucking dramatic statement.

Quick question; can you use the d-pad to move the character around?

Thinking about buying some Pokkén controllers for multiplayer.

Nope, it's only analog stick. I tried.

Having only played it docked, I don't really know what you're talking about. The game plays absolutely fine in docked mode.

Just played with an officemate and the framerate issue didn't cross my mind. We just had fun.

Same here. I played docked mode with 3 players. I didn't once think about the frame rate. I don't understand people on this forum who let shit like frame drops in a FREAKING COOKING GAME ruin it for them.

Same here. I played docked mode with 3 players. I didn't once think about the frame rate. I don't understand people on this forum who let shit like frame drops in a FREAKING COOKING GAME ruin it for them.

It's not about me letting it ruin the game. I don't understand these kind of comments. I don't care what the game is about. Video with not enough frames or more importantly not stable framerate can almost hurt my eyes. It can give me a headache. In most cases it's not that bad but it just disturbs my perception of the game. It's not some graphic whore kind of thing. I don't choose to be disturbed by it. I don't care about graphics. Frame rate is very different thing that can affect gameplay and the whole experience. I'm sure I'm not alone with this.

If it is some drops here and there and not constant drops I can live with it. That don't bother me much.

As much as I want to get it, I'm not buying undercooked shit (pun intended). This is ridiculous. Fix your framerate issues before releasing games. You knew what you were giving us. Make a professional first impression, and not iron out obvious problems weeks down the line after people have bought your product. For big games, I get it. This?

It's telling that the people getting obsessive about the frame rates are the ones who don't actually own the game. We've had a handful of people who have the game talk about framerate issues, and the majority of people say its absolutely fine. Weird that people choose to believe the minority.

It's not about me letting it ruin the game. I don't understand these kind of comments. I don't care what the game is about. Video with not enough frames or more importantly not stable framerate can almost hurt my eyes. It can give me a headache.

I'm assuming you never played any console games before this gen, then? And especially not during the 32 bit era!

I don't understand people on this forum who let shit like frame drops in a FREAKING COOKING GAME ruin it for them.

Amen.

ViolentP

I'm not buying Overcooked on the Switch until they fix the framerate. Not because it makes the game less fun, but because I find drops visually jarring. I prefer something more stable. Not sure why preference should be questioned when deciding to purchase something to be honest.

It's not about me letting it ruin the game. I don't understand these kind of comments. I don't care what the game is about. Video with not enough frames or more importantly not stable framerate can almost hurt my eyes. It can give me a headache. In most cases it's not that bad but it just disturbs my perception of the game. It's not some graphic whore kind of thing. I don't choose to be disturbed by it. I don't care about graphics. Frame rate is very different thing that can affect gameplay and the whole experience. I'm sure I'm not alone with this.

If it is some drops here and there and not constant drops I can live with it. That don't bother me much.
So, they don't bother you... they almost do.

It's telling that the people getting obsessive about the frame rates are the ones who don't actually own the game. We've had a handful of people who have the game talk about framerate issues, and the majority of people say its absolutely fine. Weird that people choose to believe the minority.

I'm assuming you never played any console games before this gen, then? And especially not during the 32 bit era!

Why are everyone so hostile about this? Bad framerate bothers me and thats it. Yes I have played games before and I didn't like bad framerates then and I don't like them now. It doesn't usually make them unplayable but it is affecting my enjoyment. Game can still be good and worth playing. It's not like I think something like stable 30fps is a bad frame rate. It's fine for almost all games. I'm not even saying this games frame rate is not enough for me. I'm just being careful. And majoriry people say it's fine, but if it drops constantly under 30 it is not necessarily fine with me. I'm not like majority of people apparently. I'm someone who is easily bothered with bad frame rate. I have bought games which are as fine as this if I believe majority of gafs opinions like Lego City and Snake Pass and both have drops that bothers me. Games are still good but it affected my enjoynment. Snake pass was updated though which helped pretty much. I'm not going to risk it easily. I can't buy a game based on a report that it's fine for someone else. I need details. How often it drops framesand how much? Or is the framerate always under 30?

So, they don't bother you... they almost do.

Like there isn't anything between not bothering me and hurting my eyes?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This thread is a real trip:

You have people. like myself, posting that the frame rate is completely fine and we didn't even notice it drop (I'm sure it actually did, I don't disbelieve those who are saying that it does). Then you have people posting that it's horrible and it bothers them so much.

So if you're someone who notices frame rates and drops and that kind of thing bothers you or makes you sick, I guess you should stay away. If you're someone who does not like things bother them, then proceed.

I think we can all agree, both sides of the camp, that this game is not objectively broken in a way that it's unplayable and that an average non-gamer is not going to notice or be bothered by the frame drops.

I need details. How often it drops framesand how much? Or is the framerate always under 30?

It's not as bad as Zelda Ocarina or Star Fox on Nintendo 64. It's not as bad as Zelda BOTW on WiiU in a village. I mean, in those games I notice it, but it doesn't bother me. I don't notice it here. I don't know how better to approximate it other than giving it comparisons to other games.

ViolentP

Why are everyone so hostile about this? Bad framerate bothers me and thats it. Yes I have played games before and I didn't like bad framerates then and I don't like them now. It doesn't usually make them unplayable but it is affecting my enjoyment. Game can still be good and worth playing. It's not like I think something like stable 30fps is a bad frame rate. It's fine for almost all games. I'm not even saying this games frame rate is not enough for me. I'm just being careful. And majoriry people say it's fine, but if it drops constantly under 30 it is not necessarily fine with me. I'm not like majority of people apparently. I'm someone who is easily bothered with bad frame rate. I have bought games which are as fine as this if I believe majority of gafs opinions like Lego City and Snake Pass and both have drops that bothers me. Games are still good but it affected my enjoynment. Snake pass was updated though which helped pretty much. I'm not going to risk it easily. I can't buy a game based on a report that it's fine for someone else. I need details. How often it drops framesand how much? Or is the framerate always under 30?

I don't get it either. I think some people are grouping those who prefer stable framerate with those motivated by it. They are two completely different groups of people.

Chindogg

Only time I ever noticed the frame rate drop was the opening video before the first match.

Otherwise I don't notice it at all.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I don't get it either. I think some people are grouping those who prefer stable framerate with those motivated by it. They are two completely different groups of people.

Here's my deal. There are people who has "FPS Issues" that represent like 25% or way less of all gamers. They post their impressions, "The game has MAJOR issues, it's HORRIBLE."

Those fringe opinions end up influencing people who would've normally purchased the game and enjoyed it, thus costing the developer. I like to see people play good games by devs who worked hard (which is ALL of them) on their creations.

I hate to see a minority group of people make an issue overblown. I don't have an issue with people posting their impressions, but when it becomes a hyperbole that may cause people to not purchase a game, I have issue with that.

I would prefer it if instead people posted things like, "I factually noticed some FPS drops in level one." instead of "The frame rate is horrible." Because who can define what is 'horrible' in this context? It's different for everyone. It's the definition of writing sensationalist headlines versus stating facts.

ViolentP

Here's my deal. There are people who has "FPS Issues" that represent like 25% or way less of all gamers. They post their impressions, "The game has MAJOR issues, it's HORRIBLE."

Those fringe opinions end up influencing people who would've normally purchased the game and enjoyed it, thus costing the developer. I like to see people play good games by devs who worked hard (which is ALL of them) on their creations.

I hate to see a minority group of people make an issue overblown. I don't have an issue with people posting their impressions, but when it becomes a hyperbole that may cause people to not purchase a game, I have issue with that.

I would prefer it if instead people posted things like, "I factually noticed some FPS drops in level one." instead of "The frame rate is horrible." Because who can define what is 'horrible' in this context? It's different for everyone. It's the definition of writing sensationalist headlines versus stating facts.

Hyperbole I get. But to generalize is a bad practice. Worse still to justify it. I think everyone deserves an opportunity to be heard and not simply disregarded because of the squeaky wheel.

Maximo

Got any evidence to support your post?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Got any evidence to support your post?

lol its probably way less than 25%! Think about all the people you've ever played video games with in your lifetime, especially during the Nintendo 64/ PlayStation era. How many of them have ever complained/noticed a frame rate in a game they were playing?

It's a NeoGAF/enthusiast problem. Like the Switch D-Pad.

ViolentP

lol its probably way less than 25%! Think about all the people you've ever played video games with in your lifetime, especially during the Nintendo 64/ PlayStation era. How many of them have ever complained/noticed a frame rate in a game they were playing?

It's a NeoGAF/enthusiast problem. Like the Switch D-Pad.

I disagree. While primarily console players tend not to mention it much in my personal experience, those who game on both console and PC tend to notice. And they're rarely dicks about it.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Ok, on a point not related to framerate complaints about this indie title (that if I remember correctly wasn't completely stable on other platforms either), I do have an actual question:

Can you play this game with a joycon on its side? I have friends coming over tonight, but only two pro controller and a pair of joy cons. Is that gonna be enough for all four of us? Thanks!

AEREC

Moral of the story is that devs should prioritize a steady\consistent framerate during development to maximize sales.

If it's a game that Im mildy interested in (such as this game) then reports of framerate issues will cause me to definitely not purchase it.

However if it's a game Im hyped up about but reports\reviews state that it dips below 30 sometimes then Ill probably still buy it.

Coxy100

Banned
The devs have said they will fix the frame rate - give them a chance.

They are a small team - they said it should be 30 fps like on other consoles and I'm sure it will be once fixed.

Amazing game - enjoy switch owners!!

Moral of the story is that devs should prioritize a steady\consistent framerate during development to maximize sales.

If it's a game that Im mildy interested in (such as this game) then reports of framerate issues will cause me to definitely not purchase it.

Most people who buy this game will have never posted on a gaming forum in their entire lives. They probably will never have even noticed or thought about framerates, ever.

nikos

Should've checked GAF before buying. Framerate and input lag are horrendous. Even my girlfriend said it controls terribly, and I've never heard her complain about something like that before.

I've had the PC version forever but never played it. Jumped on the Switch version for convenience. Hope it's fixed soon.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok, on a point not related to framerate complaints about this indie title (that if I remember correctly wasn't completely stable on other platforms either), I do have an actual question:

Can you play this game with a joycon on its side? I have friends coming over tonight, but only two pro controller and a pair of joy cons. Is that gonna be enough for all four of us? Thanks!

Yeah you play with a Joycon on the side. I just played a session with my wife and kids (5 and 9 years old) with four Joycons. It was great!

Should've checked GAF before buying. Framerate and input lag are horrendous. Even my girlfriend said it controls terribly, and I've never heard her complain about something like that before.

I must be completely blind and deaf to these issues. No complaints from myself/wife/kids... I guess this game is YMMV on these issues bothering you.

Steiner

Banned
The devs have said they will fix the frame rate - give them a chance.

They are a small team - they said it should be 30 fps like on other consoles and I'm sure it will be once fixed.

Amazing game - enjoy switch owners!!

Did the devs say that?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man I wish this game had a demo. I'd hate to repeat Snipperclips where I was assuming my wife would play it with me but she ended up not caring for it.

Steiner

Banned
Man I wish this game had a demo. I'd hate to repeat Snipperclips where I was assuming my wife would play it with me but she ended up not caring for it.

Exact same story with my wife and Snipperclips. I think it's my fault, though, because she kind of sucks at video games and I'd get a little frustrated trying to tell her what to do. =/

ozfunghi

I know youtube isn't the place to judge framerates in videogames, but i watched a 20 minuten play session of the Switch version, and i didn't notice any framerate issues. If it would have hampered gameplay, surely i would have noticed. I haven't played it myself obviously.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Exact same story with my wife and Snipperclips. I think it's my fault, though, because she kind of sucks at video games and I'd get a little frustrated trying to tell her what to do. =/

LOL same story here. Only she's the one who gets frustrated at cooperative games and she gets frustrated telling me what to do! She didn't enjoy Snipperclips either, but we both agreed that game's issue was that it wanted you to be PRECISE and that limited the fun. This game doesn't have that requirement. You can earn 1 to 3 stars. You can earn 1 star and move on. Snipperclips required you to get 3 stars to move on, so that's different.

My wife also didn't enjoy Death Squared or Super Bomberman R that much either.

So despite all that, she enjoyed the two levels she's played with me of Overcooked so far. So I'm legitimately surprised. I bought the game to play with my two daughters, but I'm glad my wife is enjoying it too. I think what makes this game different is that you can assign jobs to each player and while you get in each other's way, it's largely working independently to accomplish a goal. So someone doing poorly at their job doesn't directly effect the other players... just indirectly since they slow the process down lol.

I know youtube isn't the place to judge framerates in videogames, but i watched a 20 minuten play session of the Switch version, and i didn't notice any framerate issues. If it would have hampered gameplay, surely i would have noticed. I haven't played it myself obviously.

It's YMMV according to this thread. You have people on both sides "It's horrible" and others "I don't notice it". It's a great party game if you can deal with it, and the people playing with you don't mind.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Do not play Overcooked with her. This will end in divorce. Even the best of friends end up at each other's throats when things get heated in the kitchen.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I wish this had some extra content, 3 starred every level on PS4 with my partner and we still want more...

This comes with two DLC packs... did y'all finish those too? Although $20 is steep for just the DLC you could probably buy on PS4.

If you are playing with your significant other, prepare to go to bed angry! :p
My wife doesn't game much, but she sure was yelling at me! My wife and I have lot's of fun with this game.

OniBaka

They post their impressions, "The game has MAJOR issues, it's HORRIBLE."

Those fringe opinions end up influencing people who would've normally purchased the game and enjoyed it
Pretty much why I ignore gaf regarding frame rate. It gets toxic as hell.

devonodev

My girlfriend bought the game yesterday, after playing the PC version a while ago, her first reaction was how bad the undocked framerate is lol. She's less sensitive to framerate issues than I am, so definitely waiting for a patch.

Have you played undocked at all? That seems to be where the most issues are.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Have you played undocked at all? That seems to be where the most issues are.

I honestly have not. Well, I messed around in one level on my own for like less than a minute. I'll give it an honest try with my wife tonight and see if I notice.

EDIT: Okay I just played 1-1,1-2.1-3 on my own undocked. Honestly, I can tell that it's not buttery smooth 60 FPS, but I didn't notice jarring drops. I have not played the PC or PS4 versions of the game to compare it to that either. I didn't notice. I'm not saying that it's not there, but even after reading this thread and everyone telling me it's there, I didn't notice any drops while staring at the screen trying to notice them.

I'm blind to these things. I'm 32 and I've been gaming through the NES era, I didn't notice anything. The one thing I did notice is that I had it installed to the SD card first and noticed loading times were slow, like almost 10 seconds. After installing to system memory it was faster, like 7 seconds (I actually counted). I don't think where the game installs has anything to do with FPS though, but I noticed a change in loading times.

nynt9

I got the game, played in handheld mode. The framerate is unberable. Really bad. Wish refunds existed on switch because this is trash.

All the posts in here trying to pass it off as a non-issue are doing a real disservice to fellow gaffers and to developers of games that don't ship messy pieces of software that run in the low 20s consistently.

Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself downplaying it like this. This is the worst performing game on switch and it's unplayable to me. It makes me dizzy, and makes the game's controls feel like shit.

Game's awesome. As always here, performance problems are heavily exaggerated lmao.

I got the game, played in handheld mode. The framerate is unberable. Really bad. Wish refunds existed on switch because this is trash.

All the posts in here trying to pass it off as a non-issue are doing a real disservice to fellow gaffers and to developers of games that don't ship messy pieces of software that run in the low 20s consistently.

lol. gonna need some actual video evidence before I truly believe these 'unbearable' framerate issues.

Honestly, you should be ashamed of yourself downplaying it like this. This is the worst performing game on switch and it's unplayable to me. It makes me dizzy, and makes the game's controls feel like shit.

Stop being melodramatic.

Realeza

Banned

Lmao.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

LOL! That's unreal bro. Look, I'm going to change my tone: I honestly believe you. Serious question, not trying to be condescending at all: how old are you? Do you get motion sickness easily? (I'm 32 and yes to motion sickness) Do other games do this to you? What about really laggy PSX and N64 era of games? Do those make you dizzy?

I believe that people see frame rates differently and it affects them differently. I mean, that must be true. How else can we have such discrepancies?

nynt9

lol. gonna need some actual video evidence before I truly believe these 'unbearable' framerate issues.

Stop being melodramatic.

What game has worse performance on switch? If there is one I haven't played it. Mr. Shifty never gets this bad, BOTW gets this bad in the forest but only there, this game is always like that. And the input lag on top of the low frame rate is just what makes it unbearable. Some people are more sensitive to this than others, is that so hard to understand?

LOL! That's unreal bro. Look, I'm going to change my tone: I honestly believe you. Serious question, not trying to be condescending at all: how old are you? Do you get motion sickness easily? (I'm 32 and yes to motion sickness) Do other games do this to you? What about really laggy PSX and N64 era of games? Do those make you dizzy?

I believe that people frame rates differently and it affects them differently. I mean, that must be true. How else can we have such discrepancies?

If this is you trying not to be condescending you failed, bro.

It's clear that you guys aren't willing to even admit that the game has serious issues at all, so I guess posting in this thread was a mistake. Enjoy what you enjoy, I guess. Can't wait til the day all digits platforms catch up to steam and others in terms of digital refunds.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Some people are more sensitive to this than others, is that so hard to understand?

I guess it is! lol sorry, that sounds horrible to be made physically dizzy from playing games. I may give up on gaming entirely if that happened to me.

That really really sucks. It's hard to wrap my mind around.

I'll buy it tonight anyway. Wife and I need a new co-op game to play and this might do it. I just hope the developers don't pull a Mr. Shifty and leave it unpatched.

What game has worse performance on switch? If there is one I haven't played it. Mr. Shifty never gets this bad, BOTW gets this bad in the forest but only there, this game is always like that. And the input lag on top of the low frame rate is just what makes it unbearable. Some people are more sensitive to this than others, is that so hard to understand?

As I said- show me some video evidence and I'll believe you. Seriously, just record it with your phone or something.

taoofjord

I'm envious of those that can't pick up on the framerate issues. I've only played it undocked but it's definitely poor. It's not as bad as Super Bomberman R was at launch but it certainly impacts how the game feels in a negative way.

Hopefully they fix it because it's one of the best games released last year. It's just a shame that the devs pushed this out before it was ready.

atr0cious

Just did about 3 hours in co-op while docked, didn't have any noticeable framerate issues, just got our butts kicked. Really great game, needs more female chef skins.

Top Bottom