• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Tuboware said that Tokido has been putting in work in Marvel 3 and wants to win the last ever Marvel 3 EVO tournament.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the amounts of shouts fired in that Marvel 3 pre-EVO show was hilarious. Suddenly I am all hyped up for Marvel 3 at EVO again!

Tuboware was probably high because Tokido only registered in SFV. He probably wants to win as a spectator

Spuck-uk

Banned
Tekken 7 nor any 3d fighter doesnt play well to casuals. To them it just looks like alot of flailing around and the characters look too samey. I think Dead or Alive has animations and pace that would stick out to a casual but it lacks the respect of most hardcore fgc fans.

I've found 'not fighting game' people war more willing to play tekken, because the controls make hella more sense.

All the women in DoA have sameface and the game is bad.

Quebaz

I would love to be able to play this online. I mean I know PCSX2 has online but idk if the online is good enough for this game also finding a group of people that will play this could be hard.
It's mostly a bitch to setup too, if you don't have a save you gotta grind arcade/survival for a bit to get the extra characters amd stage and THEN you cam start worrying about costumizing everyone.

ArjanN

From the Arcana Heart Six Stars kickstarter thread:

So just to update, the stretch goals have been revealed and, as predicted, new characters (like an adorable shark girl and an edgy anti-Heart character), a new final boss (OMEGA), new Arcana (including our favourite final boss Parace :V) and game balancing too!

DEh5lySXkAA2E9r.jpg

Kickstarter link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-max-six-stars-2d-fighting-game/posts/1935080

Update video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xh29MwCc6A

Tripon

There's no money in KOF. That's why. Tokido's made this a job, and so he's focusing on the one game he thinks will make him money. You want him to return, then you need the other games tournament leagues to offer bigger prizes that will entice him and other multiple games players.

There's no money in KOF. That's why. Tokido's made this a job, and so he's focusing on the one game he thinks will make him money. You want him to return, then you need the other games tournament leagues to offer bigger prizes that will entice him and other multiple games players.

If money's the reason, why not hop on that NRS train?

BadWolf

Interesting, SNK/Atlus added 14k to the kof pot just yesterday. Would've been dead last otherwise.

The same applies to other games. Remove the $10K pot bonus from Blazblu and it becomes $4K. Same goes for GG, which would be at just $8K without the dev pot bonus.

or everything needs to come crashing down

afd.jpg_large

can't pick your game based on pot sizes if there isn't any money anywhere

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That would be a crazy turn of events since we're living in one of the best fighting game eras ever. Think about how many games with active support we have right now. It's ridiculous.

Worst thing that could happen would be if Capcom doesn't continue the CPT, but with a new game coming out and SFV still getting support, I don't see that happen anytime soon. It's also one of the few things Capcom does really well.

S2

Doesn't Puyo have some kind of garbage multiplier that kicks in after so much time? I'm actually not sure how that would work in Swap or Doubles, but I was under the impression that it was only a massive problem in Tetris mirrors, which is one of the reasons Versus got dumped.

We did also schedule out a lot of time for the Puyo Puyo Tetris tournament, and there's a reason why the stream schedule is laid out the way it is with regards to Puyo Puyo Tetris and P4AU.

There's a garbage multiplier that kicks in after 96 seconds in Puyo or ~8 swaps in Swap mode.

From my experience with sixfortyfive at local GA tourneys, low-level swap mode takes about... 3 to 5 minutes at minimum for just one round.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It probably can. Sony just has to pull its sponsorship and no more CPT $500K.
Nah, not even then. They might actually make money with the CPT by now, so they could trim some fat with fewer tournaments and have a more focused tour without hurting the overall thing. Heard some players actually want that, too, since it's all blending together too much with certain weekends having several events going on at the same time.

Daigo will win Evo through selling signed copies of his book.

Remember that one year he got 200th+ place at Evo when he first started using E. Ryu?

At this point I'd be happy if he did that well.
Tough for daigo fans like us to see our hero getting destoryed like that. It's like watching Michael Jordan's come back for the Washington Wizards. I remember watching him play for Washington he was like a shadow of his former self. Ma boy daigo is the same now :(. Retire with some dignity.....

Sayad

This "add pot bonus money after registration closes" trend with Japanese devs kinda misses the point, it should be an incentive for more people to show up, it's not a contest of which game had a bigger pot bonus!
When Tokido made this his job there was no money in any fighting game outside being sponsored, and when he played KoFXIII there was less money there than there is now, way less!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Doesn't Puyo have some kind of garbage multiplier that kicks in after so much time? I'm actually not sure how that would work in Swap or Doubles, but I was under the impression that it was only a massive problem in Tetris mirrors, which is one of the reasons Versus got dumped.

The damage multiplier exists in every mode except straight TvT, but it still takes a while to kick-in for Swap mode since the two boards seem to have independent timers. (Standard Puyo matches go on for 96 seconds before margin time kicks in; Swap mode's timer appears to be roughly double that.) So you're still looking at ~3 minutes before scrub chains start to become threatening, whereas a normal fighting game would have already reached time-over in ~90 seconds for a multi-round game or ~180 seconds for a single-round game like Marvel or Injustice. It's still strictly better than just TvT, but the long timer and the possibility of using one of your two boards to tank garbage mean that matches can still drag on for a while at certain skill levels.

The best way to deal with it is to just make sure that seeding is as thorough as possible.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Daigo's not that bad. Got 5th at Thaiger Uppercut which was pretty stacked. His Guile is very good. Not breaking top 200 would be crazy.

The damage multiplier exists in every mode except straight TvT, but it still takes a while to kick-in for Swap mode since the two boards seem to have independent timers. (Standard Puyo matches go on for 96 seconds before margin time kicks in; Swap mode's timer appears to be roughly double that.) So you're still looking at ~3 minutes before scrub chains start to become threatening, whereas a normal fighting game would have already reached time-over in ~90 seconds for a multi-round game or ~180 seconds for a single-round game like Marvel or Injustice. It's still strictly better than just TvT, but the long timer and the possibility of using one of your two boards to tank garbage mean that matches can still drag on for a while at certain skill levels.

The best way to deal with it is to just make sure that seeding is as thorough as possible.
Also I would hope that the level of competition at EVO is higher than backwater Florida or Georgia

chriskun

I've found 'not fighting game' people war more willing to play tekken, because the controls make hella more sense.

All the women in DoA have sameface and the game is bad.

I actually agree but im talking about spectating. A games playability does not correlate to its appeal to spectators as we've seen with Injustice and countless other games.

Daigo's not that bad. Got 5th at Thaiger Uppercut which was pretty stacked. His Guile is very good. Not breaking top 200 would be crazy.

Yeah, he even beat Bonchan at that event. Daigo could make a big run, it's possible! Would be so hype.

But.. we know what will really happen. eliminated offstream

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Man I thought SFV semi finals would've concluded by Friday...

Saturday is WAY too action packed.

It's probably going to be the same problem as last year where literally everything is grinding down to the top cut at the same time on Saturday and not everything will be able to get its fair share of stream time.

They really ought to have put at least 2 finals on Friday to alleviate that, but Blazblue would have been the best fit and it was locked into Sunday (for some reason) anyway.

shaowebb

From the Arcana Heart Six Stars kickstarter thread:

FINALLY. Paracelsia as an Arcana. Lol at the but ass naked final character. Apparently that was a character design idea since the folks involved worked on Samurai Showdown. Can't say I'm surprised. I know what the game is. Dont care. Its got arcanas and good movesets. Function fighter in a nutshell. Really interested in seeing what these Proposed Arcanas do and what any new cast do though. Shark Girl sounds straight up Skullgirls to me in theme and proposed morphing body animations. More pics for folks.

I4cHoYf.jpg

rG9SRrO.jpg

7RttjNl.jpg

Top Bottom