• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
After all these years, I think the one thing that I associate with Mike Ross above everything else is that staged FT5 or whatever with Jago.

You sir, are more obtuse than all the hidden things in this game that it doesn't bother to explain if you believe that.

Tutorials are a waste.

GGPO actually has a tangible, positive effect.

Dahbomb

Mike Ross's fighting game credentials:

*Top 4 at EVO in SSF4.
*Producing a hype comeback against Mago at Shadowloo Showdown.
*Getting 5-0'd by Jago at Bar Fights in Marvel 3.

I do miss Capcom Pro Talk though. Grade A entertainment.

Miguel Ross is still the most entertaining fgc player/character imo. CC is nothing without Miguel Ross. Gootecks is bland and not a good host. Only "mad Max raider" gootecks in somewhat interesting lol.

shaowebb

GGPO actually has a tangible, positive effect.

True.
And no one has once said adding tutorials would somehow make it so this couldn't happen. Don't know why folks think this.
Tutorials are a waste..

Quite untrue. Severely in the case of this game. Its literally unapproachable without online resources at the ready. Even its training mode is bad.

You have no idea how hard it is to keep people who get interested in this title playing it. Actively growing it was hard enough with its aesthetics but you throw that much unexplained system bloat at folks and they walk from system fatigue early. Happened on steam. Happened on console. Happens on discord. Happens in casuals at locals. Folks get as far as respecting it but most never understand how anything works in it.

Plus as I have stated...folks keep acting like its an either/or between online+ cast or tutorials. You can type up Killer Instinct style movelist descriptions for very little and cut/paste the needed code for mouseover popups to populate with the text in them. Dont know why everyone is acting like if they add a tutorial it'll be a huge travesty like its stealing massive resource budget to do one. Its literally not asking a lot. Just have something, ANYTHING in the damned game to explain all the system mechanics so that new players actually have good odds of understanding the game to even a beginner level for once. Hell even blade arcus had a few page flip book and it worked!

Its not hurting ANYTHING to put what should be a core feature in a game thats designed this technically into it and its not wasting resources because its not exactly an expensive thing to add text at the minimum. They can even just paraphrase the damned wikis online if they're lazy.

Dahbomb

Mike was pretty adamant that MvC3 was trash but he entered Evo anyway for kicks. I forget which year, but he almost beat Nemo.

He was like, "That's how you know (the game is bad)"
Mike Ross was never relevant at Marvel 3 anyway so I am not sure what his opinions got to do with it especially as mentioned before, his opinions are clouded by money hats.

I am more surprised that you remember ancient history Marvel 3 stuff, almost better than myself. Like yeah Mike Ross got close but Nemo was always not that good in tournament level play in Marvel 3. He never won a major and always chokes. He is a long set player because his playstyle works better in that format... he takes ballsy gambles and risks that don't work in 3/5 settings.

There's something called Omen of Sorrow that will be playable at EVO.

DEkJ5msUMAAl7j0.jpg
Evo is becoming a Fighting Games Expo.

Edit: Oh hey this has GGPO.

rofl

Village

Evo is becoming a Fighting Games Expo.
l

I'm totally ok with that

( I would totally be ok with evo being a place where folks show off new competitive games and shiz. That sounds amazing, those types of games espically fighting games, get drowned out at other events, and expo's so a place for those things to shine would be neat )

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Its not hurting ANYTHING to put what should be a core feature in a game thats designed this technically into it and its not wasting resources because its not exactly an expensive thing to add text at the minimum. They can even just paraphrase the damned wikis online if they're lazy.

I mean, you're not wrong, but Master Milk already said what I was going to: the people who need tutorials the most are the people who won't use them anyway. Or, even worse, people who get turned away by thorough tutorials because having all of the information laid out for them actually intimidates them more than anything else.

shaowebb

I mean, you're not wrong, but Master Milk already said what I was going to: the people who need tutorials the most are the people who won't use them anyway. Or, even worse, people who get turned away by thorough tutorials because having all of the information laid out for them actually intimidates them more than anything else.

Gotta make your title more approachable somehow though or you never grow. Beats overly dumbing down your controls and going overkill with autocombos.
People approach the game more with other features I think

AH3 has never really been short on features. Has a story mode with multiple branching paths for multiple playthrough dialogue on any character. An after story with tons of unlockable chapters. A ton of unlockable story and missions per character, survival mode, online...quite a lot honestly in the single player in terms of story stuff really. The unlockable character chapters for playing the game are great. You never know who you may get a chapter for so you end up grinding more than you would normally and developing more backstory on the world and cast than you may have if you just went in on one character.

Again though...not an either or situation. Game wont lose one to add the other. Short explanations are cheap and fast. They dont need to go on for days and be super detailed expensive showcases. Just explanations alone would suffice.

This 2017 McRuss. Free from Twitch and Capcom. A man who plays Guilty Gear.

It's pretty surprising that he's playing GG. He always seemed like...a guy who picks fighting games based on how popular they are. It's why he participated in Marvel 3 even though he thought the game sucked, and he continued playing SF4 even though he got bored of Honda.

I found this

Mike Ross 30 days ago said:
What game would I play? Sf4 was obviously super fun to me, and perhaps I liked that game a little too much. When V came and sucked the joy out of everything I couldn't put a stream on with a straight face.

I don't want to spend an hour+ bitching nonstop about things. It's not productive. I'd rather spend that time playing a game I enjoy. However most people won't find that "entertaining", so I'll play for myself.

If I streamed anything it'd be just xrd or dota...games which this community tends to see as "boring" or "dead community".
reference: https://www.reddit.com/user/RossyBoyyy

So Dahbomb was there some sort of USF4 rerelease a month ago that Mike Ross was endorsing?

Dahbomb

It's pretty surprising that he's playing GG. He always seemed like...a guy who picks fighting games based on how popular they are. It's why he participated in Marvel 3 even though he thought the game sucked, and he continued playing SF4 even though he got bored of Honda.
He's trying to earn back his FG street cred.

Just give it a few months, he will be back to SF once he gets put into some guessing situations in GG. Or better yet he will probably be on the Marvel/DBZ bandwagon when the games release.

So Dahbomb was there some sort of USF4 rerelease a month ago that Mike Ross was endorsing?
You tell me... was he playing USF4 back then or not? Nothing to endorse so not actually playing SF4 for real.

Dahbomb

Also DOTA 2 has a "dead community"?

Pretty sure Mike Ross would make more money and get higher stream numbers if he started playing DOTA as an entertainer rather than playing whatever flavor of the month fighting game.

Village

Pretty sure Mike Ross would make more money and get higher stream numbers if he started playing DOTA as an entertainer rather than playing whatever flavor of the month fighting game.

You should tell mike that

Dota got 20 million dollar pots

We should all stop playing fighting games and Just play mobas and overwatch

ArjanN

I think that 's more a problem with how you present the information, but having played AH3 it definitely has to be present somewhere in the game at bare minimum.

Lemstar

idk what a mascot character is doing on these and i can't even figure out what it's supposed to represent

primarily text emotes are really bad

do you think they actually contacted the stage crasher for his permission to use his likeness

evohiyo is pretty clever though i guess

Coda

It's easy to call SFXT a good game after no one actually played it enough at a high level. We don't actually know what the game would look and play like when optimized so we are just working off of lower levels of play. Most FGs are fun at that level but when stakes are high people will just abuse the same stuff over and over again.

Marvel 3 was Capcom's best game last generation IMO. People at least liked it enough to keep playing it even after support was pulled. And we are talking over the course of 5+ years here.

I respect SF4 for how it exploded the FGC for the better. It's a monumental game but as far as game play goes I don't really have much fun playing it. I played it again last week and it threw me off as to how many times you were forced to take a hard knockdown. That's at least one thing SFV improves over SF4.

I agree, I always had fun playing MvC3 and while SF IV may have had the bigger impact, MvC3 made me way more nostalgic and happy. I've come to realize I enjoy more over-the-top fighting games with somewhat broken mechanics over games that play it too safe. I'd put Street Fighter as a series playing it too safe lately.

People like to complain that SF V lacked content and had too many problems at launch and they were right, but to me on top of all that the game just isn't very fun and didn't do anything too different mechanically to really bring the series to a new full fledged entry. To me SF IV reinvented the wheel, and SF V just in a way was more of the same. I wanted a SF game that really brought the hype and maybe intensified the action in a way that the MvC series always has done. But instead we got a game that just feels dry and soulless overall and it's sad really. I'm not trying to hate on SF V, as fundamentally the game is okay. It just doesn't have any flare or "new" special mechanic that makes the game fun. V-Trigger is not fun to use IMO.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
He's trying to earn back his FG street cred.

Just give it a few months, he will be back to SF once he gets put into some guessing situations in GG. Or better yet he will probably be on the Marvel/DBZ bandwagon when the games release.
Why is this so...accusatory? Sounds like Mike can't play MvCI or DBFZ because that would be bandwagoning. Not like he's a Marvel player since 2 or anything.
He calls Dota ""boring"" and GG ""dead"", come on.

Top Bottom