• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

ArjanN

FINALLY. Paracelsia as an Arcana. Lol at the but ass naked final character. Apparently that was a character design idea since the folks involved worked on Samurai Showdown. Can't say I'm surprised. I know what the game is. Dont care. Its got arcanas and good movesets. Function fighter in a nutshell. Really interested in seeing what these Proposed Arcanas do and what any new cast do though. Shark Girl sounds straight up Skullgirls to me in theme and proposed morphing body animations. More pics for folks.

I4cHoYf.jpg

Yeah, the shark girl reminded me very much of Skullgirls as well, she'd fit right in that game in terms of look and design.

Maybe the kickstarter can get some boost from the EVO/Anime EVO focus on fighting games this week? I kind of want all that stuff.

Anyone that cares an iota about Arcana Heart and has a Twitter account should reply to this tweet regarding the game's netcode. Apparently Examu is a bit surprised at that bit of feedback... hopefully it'll get them to put it on the roadmap.

Know anyone with the hardware for that game? :p
Or anyone who can even spell the game's title properly.

Not like that alone would stop people (VSav and HnK are being run on arcade hardware), but Daemon Bride is also a game that's been played by about 6 people in the US, ever. Game's seriously obscure even by povert standards.

Yeah GGPO for Six Stars would be nice.

Also, Examu have already said they're looking to do a Daemon Bride kickstarter if the one for Six Stars is a success. So that'd make it a lot more practical in the future.

NEO0MJ

I wish :[
I love Beowulf, Eliza and BB but there were so many cooler characters than Robo-Fortune.

Robo Fortune was a last second addition to the stretchgoals that could be developed cheaper than the others because they could recycle a lot from Mrs. Fortune. Can't really blame her anymore than you can blame Fukua.
Minette was trash and I'm glad she lost :p

pizzacat

Banned
BB is like the best thing ever made too bad he's stuck in a game with no sequel

God damn Beowulf would whisper shit to the opponent like a real wrestler

I get mad everytime I think of these guys trapped in this game :/

Skilletor

Daigo's not that bad. Got 5th at Thaiger Uppercut which was pretty stacked. His Guile is very good. Not breaking top 200 would be crazy.

Just seems like Laura and Necalli are huge roadblocks for him. Similar to how he struggled so much against Viper in SF4.

BB is like the best thing ever made too bad he's stuck in a game with no sequel

God damn Beowulf would whisper shit to the opponent like a real wrestler

I get mad everytime I think of these guys trapped in this game :/

Cerebella is like my favorite fighter design from last gen :(

Skab

Huh. Unless someone entered under his name, it looks like Mike Ross signed up for GG at Evo, and nothing else. Interesting.

shaowebb

Man Examu's community managers and PR folks are great. I wrote like a day or so ago to them on twitter, and through the kickstarter messaging. I got written back, non generic answers through both channels already. Both very positive about our interest in tutorials. Here's hoping the budget and time frame allows for this.If nothing else a mouseover description like Killer Instinct does in the movelist itself would be great to help describe arcanas, and characters to players. They'll still need to know about system mechanics in a tutorial at the bare minimum IMO.

I wish other developers were this interactive with their communities...especially when they voice concerns.

shaowebb

don't tell devs to waste time and money on tutorials

they could be adding something useful instead, like more characters or ggpo

Have you TRIED to figure out which arcana you need for your character at the select screen in Arcana Heart before? This isn't like other games and you should really stop and research how difficult this title is for new players before posting that sorta talk. You have a list of 20+ characters to choose from but then a list of 20+ arcana to choose to equip to your selected character comes next and the only thing it shows is a health and defense with various amounts of stars next to each. Each arcana has its own passive abilities, movement modifiers, supers, specials, ultras and xtend force tools.

That does NOT tell you that an arcana grants you a JOJO stand, or triple jumps, or poison on normals, or an extend force with permanent hyper armor, or teleports, or any number of very very critical information. Plus the game itself has unique mechanics like homing dash cancels and character specific meters that are for stuff like custom rekkas similar to polimar, or things like an entire host of OP zoning tools.

Tutorials in Arcana heart are very much needed. Over half of the game is left alien to players since half your moveset plus character and system mechanics are NEVER explained to the player currently. If nothing else they need to at least add Killer Instinct's mouse over description of moves within the move list so players can find out how their arcana, character, xtend force, and other stuff work that way.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah he played Floe recently, too. I actually think he has put in some time. The man really is a mystery right now.

dawgparty

Tutorials in Arcana heart are very much needed. Over half of the game is left alien to players since half your moveset plus character and system mechanics are NEVER explained to the player currently. If nothing else they need to at least add Killer Instinct's mouse over description of moves within the move list so players can find out how their arcana, character, xtend force, and other stuff work that way.

All true. I feel like there is just a lack of explanation in general. I started back with the game and I can't even fucking figure out how to look at my moves list in training mode. I can't even figure out how to leave training mode without reopening the game.

Dahbomb

And he was payed to hustle SFV. So what's your point?
My point is that his opinion is completely irrelevant on fighting game matters. This comment in particular is definitely suspect as hell because HE JUST PUT OUT A SPONSORED VIDEO OF SF4 on IPHONE to coincide with the release of the game.

And I was talking crap about his opinion on SFV as well when he was first hocking that shit (aka when he was money hatted), same for SFxT. This extends to Gootecks as well who is a lot worse in that regard.

Like I respect the hustle and all that... but that's exactly what it is.

My point is that his opinion is completely irrelevant on fighting game matters. This comment in particular is definitely suspect as hell because HE JUST PUT OUT A SPONSORED VIDEO OF SF4 on IPHONE to coincide with the release of the game.

And I was talking crap about his opinion on SFV as well when he was first hocking that shit (aka when he was money hatted), same for SFxT. This extends to Gootecks as well who is a lot worse in that regard.

Like I respect the hustle and all that... but that's exactly what it is.
Dahbomb it feels like you are not in on the joke. Are you okay?

MrCarter

Man, Mike Ross said SFIV
mobile
is more fun than SFV. That's nuts coming from him.

Mike is weird right now. I get that he might like SFIV as he was fairly good in it (he's trash at SFV) but saying silly hyperbolic things like that doesn't make me take him seriously lol.

Dahbomb

It's easy to call SFXT a good game after no one actually played it enough at a high level. We don't actually know what the game would look and play like when optimized so we are just working off of lower levels of play. Most FGs are fun at that level but when stakes are high people will just abuse the same stuff over and over again.

Marvel 3 was Capcom's best game last generation IMO. People at least liked it enough to keep playing it even after support was pulled. And we are talking over the course of 5+ years here.

I respect SF4 for how it exploded the FGC for the better. It's a monumental game but as far as game play goes I don't really have much fun playing it. I played it again last week and it threw me off as to how many times you were forced to take a hard knockdown. That's at least one thing SFV improves over SF4.

Anne

SFxT v2013 is still not great. It's a lot better, but it's the whole polishing a turd thing. It still has some of the same issues as before that are just built into the systems, and it still has gamefeel issues where you just hit a button and you wanna turn off the game.

Dahbomb

SFxT v2013 is still not great. It's a lot better, but it's the whole polishing a turd thing. It still has some of the same issues as before that are just built into the systems, and it still has gamefeel issues where you just hit a button and you wanna turn off the game.
Sadly that issue has crept into Marvel Infinite as well, moves feel really bad when they connect with the opponent. I hope it's just a story demo thing because we are essentially just hitting tin cans the entire game but man the whole process doesn't feel good.

shaowebb

All true. I feel like there is just a lack of explanation in general. I started back with the game and I can't even fucking figure out how to look at my moves list in training mode. I can't even figure out how to leave training mode without reopening the game.

You think thats obtuse? I dare anyone here to go in, grab a character of their choosing and the SIN arcana and activate extend force. Done? Good. Now choose a different character and do it. GASP! Why is it with one character your damage is higher or lower than with another while you have Extend Force activated using the Sin Arcana?

I guaran-fucking-tee you that not a single person will figure this shit out before moving on to another game.

You see in Arcana Heart every character in the game has a HIDDEN GUTS STAT THAT VARIES. This means once a character's health hits a certain number they take less damage at an increasing rate the lower their health gets. This stat is hidden so good luck figuring it out and good luck figuring out the Sin extend force because it directly is affected by it. Some are really gutsy. Some are less. The Sin arcana's Extend Force ability adds your current guts level to your attack power. So if you play with a highly gutsy character you'll deal out a lot more damage. If you play with a low guts character you dont do as much. Everyone's starting guts threshold and maximum guts amount are different. Hell if you play as Scharlachrott who has terrible guts stats she would do LESS DAMAGE than normal using the Sin Arcana's extend force because her bonus would become negative.

Here's a chart on this modifier that works in conjunction with the Sin Arcana's extend force power of doing more damage the less health you have based on your current guts level per character.

BgjaC2C.jpg

Tell me now Master Milk...does it sound like this game needs a tutorial to you? Would you have just figured that out on your own as a new player? Would anyone?

Have you TRIED to figure out which arcana you need for your character at the select screen in Arcana Heart before? This isn't like other games and you should really stop and research how difficult this title is for new players before posting that sorta talk. You have a list of 20+ characters to choose from but then a list of 20+ arcana to choose to equip to your selected character comes next and the only thing it shows is a health and defense with various amounts of stars next to each. Each arcana has its own passive abilities, movement modifiers, supers, specials, ultras and xtend force tools.

That does NOT tell you that an arcana grants you a JOJO stand, or triple jumps, or poison on normals, or an extend force with permanent hyper armor, or teleports, or any number of very very critical information. Plus the game itself has unique mechanics like homing dash cancels and character specific meters that are for stuff like custom rekkas similar to polimar, or things like an entire host of OP zoning tools.

there's nothing special about arcana heart. the character select screen isn't the place to be trying to figure out how something works. that's what training mode is for.

in most fighting games, tutorials are a waste of resources. the type of person that would bother with a tutorial isn't the type of person that actually needs one, and the types that need one aren't the ones that are going to bother with it. for a game as niche as arcana heart is, this is even more true. there isn't going to be some huge influx of new players coming to this game, getting frustrated because there's no tutorial, and then never playing again. there isn't going to be an influx of new players at all.

in this particular instance, requesting a tutorial is even more of a waste than usual. this isn't a new game that no one has any idea how to play. this is an old, niche airdasher that has zombie status as far as the fgc is concerned, and might as well be scattered ashes floating on a sea breeze to the general gaming population. this is a game that's having to resort to asking its small fanbase to donate money so that the devs can support it. the type of people throwing money at this certainly don't need a tutorial.

so yea, a tutorial is a waste of time and money for this. i'd rather see ggpo and those new characters

shaowebb

there's nothing special about arcana heart. the character select screen isn't the place to be trying to figure out how something works. that's what training mode is for.

in most fighting games, tutorials are a waste of resources. the type of person that would bother with a tutorial isn't the type of person that actually needs one, and the types that need one aren't the ones that are going to bother with it. for a game as niche as arcana heart is, this is even more true. there isn't going to be some huge influx of new players coming to this game, getting frustrated because there's no tutorial, and then never playing again. there isn't going to be an influx of new players at all.

in this particular instance, requesting a tutorial is even more of a waste than usual. this isn't a new game that no one has any idea how to play. this is an old, niche airdasher that has zombie status as far as the fgc is concerned, and might as well be scattered ashes floating on a sea breeze to the general gaming population. this is a game that's having to resort to asking its small fanbase to donate money so that the devs can support it. the type of people throwing money at this certainly don't need a tutorial.

so yea, a tutorial is a waste of time and money for this. i'd rather see ggpo and those new characters

You sir, are more obtuse than all the hidden things in this game that it doesn't bother to explain if you believe that.

I flat out proved that it has ridiculously obscure stuff that it needs to educate players on and you still insist that "nah dog its cool if no one new can play this title and I fully expect everyone who does play it to have fully memorized everything in it already so they dont need that either". Get real.

Just admit it needs it and stop trying to defend a silly statement that its fine without tutorials to explain its mechanics already. Its not an either/or anyway so saying if it gets tutorials it wont get cast or netcode work to defend your earlier statement doesn't really work anyhow. Characters and GGPO are always nice, but at this point if no one can figure out how to even play whats already in the game long enough to stick around then adding more content thats equally confusing wont help it grow in numbers no matter how good its netcode and roster size become even if it was an either/or situation.

Top Bottom