• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

TDLink

If I had to buy only one NeoGeo fighting game, which one would it be?

Both out of what is currently available on Switch and the entire platform/what could potentially come (if they're different answers).

Eolz

Both out of what is currently available on Switch and the entire platform/what could potentially come (if they're different answers).

Garou MOTW for both questions :p
IMO.

L Thammy

If Twinkle Star Sprites ever comes out all of you better get it.

Last Blade's easily the best IMO. Either 1 or 2, they're both good. Aside from that, Garou and Real Bout Special.

NoKisum

Magical Drop II is next week's game.

Oh man I'm sooo ready. Hopefully 3 is not too far after.

Since childhood, I've been curious about the Samurai Shodown series, but never really got into it (local carryout used to have an arcade machine for it, but I was too young in gaming knowledge to understand what was going on). How is the series in general? And is IV a good place to jump in and get the gist of it?

Timu

Since childhood, I've been curious about the Samurai Shodown series, but never really got into it (local carryout used to have an arcade machine for it, but I was too young in gaming knowledge to understand what was going on). How is the series in general? And is IV a good place to jump in and get the gist of it?
It's a very good series, and IV is one of the easier ones.

Though I think it goes 2>1>4>5S>3>5 for most people, not sure about 6. I might be wrong about 3>5 though.

TDLink

Why have still skipped all the Samurai Shodown games up to 4? I want 2 dammit.

They order they put the games up on the shop seems to be pretty random. I mean we have Metal Slug 1 and 3 now but no 2 as well.

I am sure we'll get them all eventually.

L Thammy

...Doesn't Samurai Shodown 4 completely lack the distinctive pacing? As far as I was aware, The thing about 1 and 2 was that they didn't had minimal combos, but huge damage on single attacks which gave it a very deliberate pace, and it's 5 Special that goes back after 4 dropped it.

2 and 5S are the best games in the series for me.
4 is still a great game, but I feel like the series is best when it focuses less on flashy combos.
Every other fighting game has that already and the slower more careful movement and action is what made SS unique.

firenze

2 and 5S are the best games in the series for me.
4 is still a great game, but I feel like the series is best when it focuses less on flashy combos.
Every other fighting game has that already and the slower more careful movement and action is what made SS unique.

I'm totally with you on this. My personal order is 5S > 2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 5

That being said, for some bizarre reason, when I pick up one of the games these days I tend to gravitate to SS3. I think it's more about the excellent sense of mood, even though from a gameplay perspective I have a lot of issues with the game.

4 is a good game, and you can play it casually and be totally unaware of how combo-heavy it is. But to me, it feels more like Real Bout Samurai Shodown. A good late 90s Neo Geo fighter, a much more polished game than SS3, but probably the game in the series that feels the least "like Samurai Shodown" in the sense that the more deliberate nature is really de-emphasized.

I know it'll never happen, but man I would love to see Rage of the Dragons on Switch

Here you go, friend:
ZtexRyl.jpg

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I'm totally with you on this. My personal order is 5S > 2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 5

That being said, for some bizarre reason, when I pick up one of the games these days I tend to gravitate to SS3. I think it's more about the excellent sense of mood, even though from a gameplay perspective I have a lot of issues with the game.

4 is a good game, and you can play it casually and be totally unaware of how combo-heavy it is. But to me, it feels more like Real Bout Samurai Shodown. A good late 90s Neo Geo fighter, a much more polished game than SS3, but probably the game in the series that feels the least "like Samurai Shodown" in the sense that the more deliberate nature is really de-emphasized.

Here you go, friend:
ZtexRyl.jpg
Lmao. I need RotD on AES. I have the MVS cart and kit. But it's one of my faves on the system and is criminally underlooked.

another week without baseball stars 2 :(

The biggest draw of the Switch is that it's portable and there's no D-Pad.

This is the biggest reason I actually don't care about the lack of VC right now.

DCOTsqNVwAAypp1

I would like to get two of these for a portable 2P arcade, though.
Yeah a switch stick is my #1 most wanted thing right now

hopefully that 8bitdo or hori stick comes out soon

Opa-Pa

I've wanted to try these since forever, but decided to wait till I got a Switch for dat portable experience... So it's time!

I'm a complete beginner regarding Neo Geo except for more mainstream stuff like KoF and Metal Slug, so these are all new experience for me. I chose to get Neo Turf Masters and Shock Troopers for now because the former looks ridiculous (and kind of became a meme on Twitter I think?) and the latter looked awesome and read great impressions here.

Turns out NTM is lots of fun and the music is great, reminds me of OutRun 2. Now I'm trying Shock Troopers and holy hell, this is so cool, I can't wait to play co-op with my girlfriend.

So, I added a couple SHMUPs I saw to my wishlist, but I'm wondering, which ones are truly worth it? Just want to be sure.

CLEEK

The Last Resort and Blazing Star are both properly excellent shmups.

The Last Resort plays very much like R-Type (and its art style looks looks like R-Type 2), so slow paced, and a hard but fair difficulty, having to restart sections when you die.

Blazing Star is faster paced and more focused on score, with a bunch of different ships to use to increase the variety.

Timu

The Last Resort and Blazing Star are both properly excellent shmups.

The Last Resort plays very much like R-Type (and its art style looks looks like R-Type 2), so slow paced, and a hard but fair difficulty, having to restart sections when you die.

Blazing Star is faster paced and more focused on score, with a bunch of different ships to use to increase the variety.
Yeah, I need to play Last Resort.

jackal27

Banned
Went to an arcade today and their Neo Geo machine was GAROU: Mark of Wolves, Metal Slug 3, Samurai Showdown 2, and Windjammers. Probably my top 4 NEOGEO games. Someone has perfect taste.

Now I'm craving Windjammers on my Switch soooooo bad.

CLEEK

Yeah, I need to play Last Resort.

The PS4 version edges out the Switch version, as for some reason the Switch version is missing the same button config options.

On PS4, you can have one button that auto fires and another that charges. On Switch if you want autofire you can't use the charge attack. And this is a game where you're pressing fire a lot.

Hopefully Hamster will patch the Switch version.

The PS4 version edges out the Switch version, as for some reason the Switch version is missing the same button config options.

On PS4, you can have one button that auto fires and another that charges. On Switch if you want autofire you can't use the charge attack. And this is a game where you're pressing fire a lot.

Played this game to death on AES and never felt the need to autofire personally... Blazing Star on the other hand...

You can have autofire and charge shot on Switch as well. The ZR trigger is set as the default second A button on Switch. It doesn't appear in the config, but it's there.

JustJavi

Went to an arcade today and their Neo Geo machine was GAROU: Mark of Wolves, Metal Slug 3, Samurai Showdown 2, and Windjammers. Probably my top 4 NEOGEO games. Someone has perfect taste.

Now I'm craving Windjammers on my Switch soooooo bad.

I'm with you with pretty much the whole post. Been dreaming with Windjammers on my Switch since I bought it.

Raitaro

I'm with you with pretty much the whole post. Been dreaming with Windjammers on my Switch since I bought it.

Me too. Would there be any reason why DotEmu wouldn't be able to do a Switch version outside of development time? Hopefully we'll see it arrive on Switch still. (Just like with those Capcom MML and Disney collections).

Opa-Pa

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on Last Resort and Blazing Star then.

And goddamn, Neo Turf Masters is awesome. I'm terrible at it as I barely understand golf, but I still can't get enough of it.

Timu

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye on Last Resort and Blazing Star then.

And goddamn, Neo Turf Masters is awesome. I'm terrible at it as I barely understand golf, but I still can't get enough of it.
Neo Turf Masters is something I hope to play one day.

firenze

You can have autofire and charge shot on Switch as well. The ZR trigger is set as the default second A button on Switch. It doesn't appear in the config, but it's there.

Good tip, thanks.

Another thing that bugs me with the ACA series is no ability (at least that I'm aware of) to configure one Switch button for multiple Neo buttons, as we've seen in most emulated/ported Neo games such as M2's PS3/PSP Neo Geo Station releases, or SNK's own ports over the years to various systems.

In particular, B+C as used in many fighting games for supers is really rough - the standard X+B on a Switch Pro Controller is just brutal, and there's really no logical layout that works for it. On a 4 face button controller with a diamond layout, it's not that hard to hit other commonly used button combinations like both punches (usually A/C), both kicks (B/D), both light attacks (A/B), both heavy attacks (C/D) - all of those combinations tend to be two buttons that are next to each other. But man, that B+C... Or it would be nice to set the triggers for things like Samurai Shodown 4's ABC/BCD rage explosion moves or other commonly used stuff like C+D combo slash.

Galdius

I bought Shock Troopers tonight and decided to give the first level of the Jungle route a try but I didn't stop it and finished it. This game is just so much fun, it's really worth it. Now I want to play the other routes and try different characters and I will probably buy the second game, I just hope it's as good as the first one.

Top Bottom