• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

Yerolo

As long as:

- The giantbomb crew remain intact and there is no crossover of personnel
- There isnt any crossover of content with Gamespot
- Giantbomb retains the same indie / informal style we have grown to love
- Editorial content remain the same and isnt influenced by publishers

I am ok with this

Problem is, I'm not overly confident all this will remain. Maybe at the start, but the Gamespot virus may spread to GB...and ruin what was the best gaming site on the intraweb

A bit pessimistic at the moment, as I am still reeling from all this....but hopefully this is a good and non-invasive change

Crunch2600

Neo Member
425314_10151386196695436_13892765435_23446578_978880949_n.jpg

From the GameSpot Facebook page.

This sounds all right to me. Giant Bomb's never given me any reason not to trust them and I appreciate the content. This doesn't change any of that for me.

Hope this works out for them.

and in the end that's all we can do.

No need to be all negative.

So far they have said the right things....let's see if they can back it up.

And considering the guys there are pretty big names, strong willed and such...I think they will for a while.

but remember... nothing lasts forever.

So Jeff is coming back to the same place where he left in 2007. Just saw the interview with Jeff and John. It's good that he can finally talk about what happened. Long lasting tension between new management team and editorial staff. I'm still going to visit Giant Bomb regardless.

chogidogs

Somebody should come and mosnterdunk us. Alot of stuff getting thrown around haphazardly. Regardless, happy for the guys. Anything that gets Vinny a racing wheel is good news to me.

Dude deserves it.

rorie said:
So, I really can't say much. All I will say is that today has been a super weird day, but I really appreciate all the thoughts and well-wishes you guys have sent my way via PM, twitter, and this thread. I read it all, even though I can't reply to much of it. You guys are amazing, and it's really touching to know that our silly little website has meant enough to you to encourage you to post here. It means a lot to me, personally.

I have a phone call tomorrow morning that will clarify things for me. I would really like to not be as cagey about everything as I have been today, but understandably things have been pretty bizarre. I am fairly tipsy at this point so I won't elaborate; I'll just say that you guys will know as soon as I know. Whatever else, I would just like you guys to not worry about me. I am fine. I will continue to be fine regardless of what happens. And Screened, which is as much a product of your efforts as of mine, isn't going anywhere.

Hope everything goes well for him! Easily one of the hardest working people at WM =(

At the very least, Gamespot remains in the top tier of all gaming sites. There is a huge gulf between them, IGN (and now Wikia) and the next tier of sites by traffic. The fact that those eyeballs could potential be funneled towards Giant Bomb's awesome content is a huge win.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
any word on wat happens to Rorie? He seems like the dude that got left behind.

Here is what he posted on the Screened forums

So, I really can't say much. All I will say is that today has been a super weird day, but I really appreciate all the thoughts and well-wishes you guys have sent my way via PM, twitter, and this thread. I read it all, even though I can't reply to much of it. You guys are amazing, and it's really touching to know that our silly little website has meant enough to you to encourage you to post here. It means a lot to me, personally.

I have a phone call tomorrow morning that will clarify things for me. I would really like to not be as cagey about everything as I have been today, but understandably things have been pretty bizarre. I am fairly tipsy at this point so I won't elaborate; I'll just say that you guys will know as soon as I know. Whatever else, I would just like you guys to not worry about me. I am fine. I will continue to be fine regardless of what happens. And Screened, which is as much a product of your efforts as of mine, isn't going anywhere.

http://www.screened.com/forums/general-discussion/8/im-going-to-cry/19633/?page=10

At the very least, Gamespot remains in the top tier of all gaming sites. There is a huge gulf between them, IGN (and now Wikia) and the next tier of sites by traffic. The fact that those eyeballs could potential be funneled towards Giant Bomb's awesome content is a huge win.

lol you even see links to klepek's work on kotaku and other sites.

The bomb is getting bigger... which is probably one of the reasons why this deal went down.

Just imagine all the upgraded effects... in the hands of vinny!

Space Egypt: 3D IMAX

IS PROPERLY PETTING PUPPIES OKAY?

lol it's just a personal tumbler page. It should be fine ;)

And the off center moustache is so irritating! Fix up Yui!

Emitan

lol you even see links to klepek's work on kotaku and other sites.

The bomb is getting bigger... which is probably one of the reasons why this deal went down.

Just imagine all the upgraded effects... in the hands of vinny!

Space Egypt: 3D IMAX

Every video will have fire. Every. single. One.

glaurung

GiantBomb was started as a refuge from the corporate machine. Now these sons of bitches still whore themselves out to another sellout.

Glad I never gave them any money, fat bastards.

Edit: OK, a lawyer friend speculated upon what might have happened behind this deal. Guess that's that then.

GiantBomb was started as a refuge from the corporate machine. Now these sons of bitches still whore themselves out to another sellout.

They chose to "whore themselves out" to the best choice available.

I personally have not been keeping up to date with Gamespot, but John Davidson has been working there for a year+ now, and is a guy that has tired to do nothing but good things at every place he worked at. If there is one person in this industry to choose to be tied to, I would be him.

CBS/Gamestop (the new version). Really was their best option - regardless of past woes. If they took investment from someone, they would be forced into changing their content, and not be Giant Bomb. If they went somewhere else, they would have had to change their content, and not be Giant Bomb. If they stayed as they were, they would have had to close down - or work out of Dave's house with no income, then all grow beards, become poor, and not be Giant Bomb.

Right now, they are Giant Bomb, with the hope of becoming a bigger Giant Bomb, and that is a good thing. Sure, things could go wrong, but this is the single best option they had to continue existing - at least through 2012 and hopefully longer.

Also, stop been a cunt throwing around comments like that.

M_A_C

Edit: OK, a lawyer friend speculated upon what might have happened behind this deal. Guess that's that then.

Well to be fair, they are all pretty fat.

GlamFM

Banned

Great attitude. You should definitely get an account over at gametrailers to spread this kind of quality stuff.

Redrum_82

I'm still not clear whether this is a partnership or an acquisition. In other word, how much power will Gamespot have over Giantbomb?

I know that they understand and respect each other now and they don't want to change things, but what if Gamespot management changes two years from now?

JonCha

If they bring anyone over to Giant Bomb, it would be VanOrd. I actually think he's a quality reviewer.

If they got anyone from outside, Geoff Keighley would be my pick. Giant Bomb doesn't really do that much investigative journalism, which he does very well.

Riposte

If they bring anyone over to Giant Bomb, it would be VanOrd. I actually think he's a quality reviewer.

If they got anyone from outside, Geoff Keighley would be my pick. Giant Bomb doesn't really do that much investigative journalism, which he does very well.

That would be too confusing

Raide

Thats why GB have Patrick.

Keighley is outside the scope of coming over I'd say.

He's closer to being a John Davison himself rather than working for John Davison.

I meant in video form. If Patrick can do that, fine, but I obviously don't know if he will.

What do you mean? I know Keighley occasionally asks Reggie the hard question on camera... but most stuff tend to feel influenced a fair bit by PR.

And Coonce is part of engineering right? He's with tested folks.

Flavius

Very stoked for those guys, and love the way Johnny England manages (or at least, my outsider perception of how he manages and approaches a situation).

Sounds like a cool thing...one that, (again) I speculate, allows GB to continue to operate for a period longer than they may have been able to, otherwise.

Basically my only worry is whether or not they'll have enough room in the building to do their own thing and be crazy, and whether or not being in a corporate building hinders their ability to do that. I'll be okay once I see a bunch of Double Fine employees hanging out during a TNT.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As long as John gets to be on the Bombcast from time to time this will be fine.

After watching the interview it sounds like this was done for good reasons

LCfiner

While we don't yet know how it's all going to shake out, it does seem natural that Davison, one of the first guys who pushed for a more personality driven and podcast/conversation focused game site, would be working with Giant Bomb

Top Bottom