• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Having a ton of 2-factor errors:

- My 3rd gen AppleTV asks for my password every time I turn it on
- When I send texts in Messenger from my Mac, it uses my iCloud email address rather than the one my phone uses
- My iPad keeps asking for my iCloud password

I also went to a grocery store today and tried to checkout using Apple Pay like I normally do. But it didn’t work...Hardware failure or software 🤔

Red

Battery life on my 7+ is unnoticeably different? Really iOS11 upgrade has been totally fine...
Certain things drain my 7+ faster now. Playing media, sound or video, rips through my battery ridiculously fast. Video is a real killer. I can see a drop of more than 1% for every minute a video plays. Standby time is similar to ios10, if it is worse it is not by much.

WatchOS 4 is great on my series 0 at least! Battery is fine and performance is either better or unchanged.

My battery drain with video is so bad that it actually continues to decrease even if I am plugged into the wall with an iPad charger. Playing podcasts over USB in my car never left me with less battery after driving than before I plugged my phone in. Now it does.

There has to be some reason for this. Maybe do not disturb while driving uses power for some background process? I’m not sure. I’m getting used to enabling low power mode and turning my display brightness as low as I can first thing every morning.

V3Atwca_d.jpg

Never seen so much use in pocket casts, for instance. I listen to this on my commute, so my phone is plugged in while I drive.

You can see twitter even uses 1% per minute.

Kindekuma

Banned
iOS 11 is ass aside from the new Control Panel. Battery drain on a 6S is ridiculous. Overnight without a charge it went from 99% to 67% over a few hours without me doing anything. The hell.

There has to be some reason for this. Maybe do not disturb while driving uses power for some background process? I’m not sure. I’m getting used to enabling low power mode and turning my display brightness as low as I can first thing every morning.

I know it's time intensive but typically all I can suggest is make sure your iCloud backup is recent and see how bad it is with a fresh wipe. Lots of weird iOS stuff with no error messages.

I'm running NFL Gamepass every week and haven't seen a noticeable increase in power drain (which is already significant since it's web-streaming 1080p)

holygeesus

Banned
iOS 11 is ass aside from the new Control Panel. Battery drain on a 6S is ridiculous. Overnight without a charge it went from 99% to 67% over a few hours without me doing anything. The hell.

My SE went from 100% to 97% overnight (7 hours) and that's connected to an Apple Watch too. Something not right there.

Pikelet

Has it been long enough since the release of iOS11 to rule out all the usual issues that temporarily cause battery drain after the release of large updates?

Each time a new update is installed, for instance, the device has to index all of its files so that they can be properly seen by the new operating system. That indexing process makes sure that the software works properly and powers features like Apple's Spotlight search – but it also takes some serious processor gruntwork, which takes its toll on both battery and performance.

Some features and apps also have to do a similar process themselves. iOS 11 needs to go through and find Live Photos in your library, for instance, because the new software has entirely new ways of dealing with them.

And the phone has to update and install updated apps for the new operating system, which is also a taxing process. That, too, will happen in the first few days, as developers push out updates and the phone works to get hold of them all.

But both of them will happen over the first few days and then resolve themselves.

Red

I’ve been on the GM for a while. It’s unlikely to be indexing. The first 24 hours my phone was practically useless. I could turn the lock screen on and watch my battery % decline. Day 2 was so much better I assumed that battery drainage issues were overstated, but it’s clear after more use that they were not.

It’s not so bad that I fear I’ll run out of battery before the day is over. You can see in my screenshot I have nearly 3 hours screen on in Safari with almost 30% battery remaining. That’s plenty for me. But it is less room than I had previously.

Guess Who

Banned
My iPad battery life has been alright, but iPads last a billion years anyway. My iPhone 6S Plus has taken a noticeable hit - not dramatic, but enough for me to tell it's draining faster than it should.

I have an iPhone SE, and I am absolutely positive they've messed up unlock with Touch ID. It legit only works half the time on the first press, and on the times it does work there's a slight half second delay.

It seems that it works a lot less if your thumb is already resting on the button when you lift to wake.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Battery seems even better on my iPad Air 2 than it was on iOS 10, it was weird during the first few days. I did reset network settings on it too though (did that on my 6S and it helped, so I decided to do it on the iPad too). Obviously people shouldn’t need to do this sort of thing, but it’s worth a try before the more drastic measures like a clean install or downgrading.

wandering

Banned
I have an iPhone SE, and I am absolutely positive they've messed up unlock with Touch ID. It legit only works half the time on the first press, and on the times it does work there's a slight half second delay.

It seems that it works a lot less if your thumb is already resting on the button when you lift to wake.

It seems the opposite for me. Previously I was having trouble with Touch ID on my SE but now it works pretty well.

Fuu

Btw, I remember seeing a post lamenting that Night Shift isn’t on the Control Center anymore but it’s still there, you just have to press the brightness bar and it appears under it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I won’t start the OT but I will contribute, I got Hue lights all up in this bitch, and am a big HomeKit user in general

Same. Happy to contribute. Have hues, motion sensor for nightlight, integration with smartthings for welcome home lights etc.

Would you ok with a Poormans OT? Then I would start one when my Lights arrive and I have time to set everything up. Like I said earlier, I cant do Photoshop, so its not going to have graphics and shit.

mrkgoo

can you rollback iOS?

yes. no.

Ultimately, yes, it's possible but you need access to the previous install file, either by having ti backed up when you did an update via iTunes, or download from some third-party site (at risk of course that it's a legitimate file). You can probably get direct server links to apple too.

Btu they only sign that version for that particular device, i believe, only for a little while before they drop it in favour of newer releases, meaning even if you did have the file, it wouldn't verify after installing after a few days or week of release of a new version.

wachie

Battery seems even better on my iPad Air 2 than it was on iOS 10, it was weird during the first few days. I did reset network settings on it too though (did that on my 6S and it helped, so I decided to do it on the iPad too). Obviously people shouldn’t need to do this sort of thing, but it’s worth a try before the more drastic measures like a clean install or downgrading.
What do you mean by reset your network settings?

MilkLizard

Pixomatic seems to treat layers like stickers that lay over the main image. It has some decent blend options, but the border selection isn't great (or so it seems in the short time I've spent in app), and it doesn't fulfill my needs for editing per layer. I would like to take advantage of the A11, and I'm frustrated there seems to be so little on iPhone as full-featured as a desktop app.

Have you tried Pixelmator?

Battery life on my 7+ is unnoticeably different? Really iOS11 upgrade has been totally fine...

Exactly my experience too, but I did a Network reset like I always do after an update.

Gamespawn

Certain things drain my 7+ faster now. Playing media, sound or video, rips through my battery ridiculously fast. Video is a real killer. I can see a drop of more than 1% for every minute a video plays. Standby time is similar to ios10, if it is worse it is not by much.

WatchOS 4 is great on my series 0 at least! Battery is fine and performance is either better or unchanged.

My battery drain with video is so bad that it actually continues to decrease even if I am plugged into the wall with an iPad charger. Playing podcasts over USB in my car never left me with less battery after driving than before I plugged my phone in. Now it does.

Never seen so much use in pocket casts, for instance. I listen to this on my commute, so my phone is plugged in while I drive.

You can see twitter even uses 1% per minute.
I did a restore with iTunes and had it download and install the commercial version of ios11. Then used a backup to get all my stuff back. Seems to work better than it did with the GM which is weird. Might have been just a bad install.

Red

I did a restore with iTunes and had it download and install the commercial version of ios11. Then used a backup to get all my stuff back. Seems to work better than it did with the GM which is weird. Might have been just a bad install.
I would try this, but I have an 8+ on the way. I am not too concerned.

Fuu

What do you mean by reset your network settings?
It’s an old way to solve connectivity issues on iOS, but I find that it helps with other issues too. Especially after a big update that changes so many things like this one. It’s on Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. You lose all of your saved passwords though, which isn’t a big deal to me thanks to Lastpass. You can also go all in and reset all of your settings instead, but I usually do a clean install if it gets to that.

wachie

It’s an old way to solve connectivity issues on iOS, but I find that it helps with other issues too. Especially after a big update that changes so many things like this one. It’s on Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. You lose all of your saved passwords though, which isn’t a big deal to me thanks to Lastpass. You can also go all in and reset all of your settings instead, but I usually do a clean install if it gets to that.
Thanks, trying to see if it helps.

Someone earlier in the thread found that YouTube was running in the background and causing severe battery drain. Sounds like you're having a similar problem.

You can see what apps are set up to run in the background in General -> Background App Refresh. I turn off anything I don't think I really need realtime updates. I'd recommend everyone check this list.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Still have that annoying safari issue where you open it and the active tab switches to ‘favourites’ so you lose your place on whatever site you were on. This is on iPad Pro 10.5 so no ram excuses. Been doing it since at least iOS 10

Would you ok with a Poormans OT? Then I would start one when my Lights arrive and I have time to set everything up. Like I said earlier, I cant do Photoshop, so its not going to have graphics and shit.

Do it. People fuss too much about OTs anyway

To confuse everyone that has used any other device in the world including all iPhones pre ios11

The thought is that Apple believes people forget to turn back on their connectivity after turning it off, and really what they are meaning to do is disconnect from a specific network / device temporarily

At least a double tap, to disconnect and disable. Now I have to go to settings frequently. Can't really understand why they did this.

At least a double tap, to disconnect and disable. Now I have to go to settings frequently. Can't really understand why they did this.

Basically, Apple doesn't completely turn off the radio because several iOS features (Handoff, AirDrop, Universal Clipboard, Instant Hotspot, etc.) use wifi (via their Multipeer framework which combines wifi and bluetooth to do a custom kind of wifi direct) and most users don't realize this. Doing a soft disconnect means the phone is disconnected from the wifi network, but these iOS features can still be used and most users will be none the wiser. I imagine people have complained in the past that some of these features didn't work because they didn't realize wifi and Bluetooth radios had to be on. The wifi radio doesn't take up much juice when idle, so the button just disconnects and disables active wifi discovery pings.

Basically, Apple doesn't completely turn off the radio because several iOS features (Handoff, AirDrop, Universal Clipboard, Instant Hotspot, etc.) use wifi (via their Multipeer framework which combines wifi and bluetooth to do a custom kind of wifi direct) and most users don't realize this. Doing a soft disconnect means the phone is disconnected from the wifi network, but these iOS features can still be used and most users will be none the wiser. I imagine people have complained in the past that some of these features didn't work because they didn't realize wifi and Bluetooth radios had to be on. The wifi radio doesn't take up much juice when idle, so the button just disconnects and disables active wifi discovery pings.

Ok. It's an ecosystem choice. But won't the phone be always searching for other wifi-networks (with the disconnect on the control panel) ?

Ok. It's an ecosystem choice. But won't the phone be always searching for other wifi-networks (with the disconnect on the control panel) ?

Nope, that's what I meant by my last sentence: that button disconnects from the network and disables discovery mode so that the wifi basically idles (except when you use one of those iOS features). At 5am it will try to connect to the network you were on before, I guess assuming that most people wanted to temporarily disconnect, but when they wake up would want it back on.

Vuze

Nope, that's what I meant by my last sentence: that button disconnects from the network and disables discovery mode so that the wifi basically idles (except when you use one of those iOS features). At 5am it will try to connect to the network you were on before, I guess assuming that most people wanted to temporarily disconnect, but when they wake up would want it back on.
Probably also to do iCloud backup.

So I left my iPad Pro at home for a day, the battery dropped from 70-ish to 35%. And the battery usage looked surreal.
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/5gtStqD.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/jnxRJcz.jpg[/img]

Maybe “Hey, Siri!” function was borked.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
AppStore straight up doesn’t load on my iPhone 6. Been smooth sailing otherwise, but this is a preeeetty big issue.

Ninja Dom

Okay, so now you can take Live Photo's inside of a FaceTime call. Both participants need to have this feature turned on in Settings.

The photos are supposed to save to the 'Live Photos' folder, but for me it doesn't save. None of the photos I took are in there although during the FaceTime I did it correctly and the call confirmed that I took a Live Photo. However, it works fine for my girlfriend. Any ideas why?

Also, have they disabled taking a screenshot in FaceTime now using the phone buttons?

Download apps via iTunes!
Sarcasm? iTunes doesn't support the iOS App Store anymore.

EDIT: I've just realised that you can now record FaceTime video calls using the 'Screen Recording' button in the Control Centre. No audio is captured though.

First glitch that’s actually got me into a rage. All I want to do is use HomeKit to set up the most basic automation: when I leave the house lights turn off, when I come back lights turn on. When I set the automation up from my iPhone, my iPad says 0 people included. When I change it on my iPad to be me, it changes on my phone to be zero people. I can’t get the automation to be the same on both, but the system knows it’s the same one since when I delete it it deletes off both of them

Photo album of what I mean, iPhone vs iPad

https://imgur.com/a/vBvsJ

breakfuss

Anyone notice that the phone will now automatically turn on bluetooth when it detects a device it's paired with. Wtf kind of feature is that? It's been doing this in my car or whenever I turn on my headphones. Might explain the accelerated battery drain. I wonder if this can be turned off.

Tigel

Anyone notice that the phone will now automatically turn on bluetooth when it detects a device it's paired with. Wtf kind of feature is that? It's been doing this in my car or whenever I turn on my headphones. Might explain the accelerated battery drain. I wonder if this can be turned off.

Yeah my Bluetooth icon is always black instead of grey. It's like it's always connected.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure where to ask this but I figured this would be the best place without making a thread:

I know there are tons of adapters, including the one that comes with a new iPhone, that allows older headphones to be compatible with the iPhone, but are there adapters that make the new headphones compatible with older 3.5mm headphone jacks? Thanks

So I left my iPad Pro at home for a day, the battery dropped from 70-ish to 35%. And the battery usage looked surreal.
Code:

Maybe ”Hey, Siri!" function was borked.

Mine is sitting at 41 mins usage/ 41 mins standby right now. Turning off Hey Siri doesn't change a thing for me.

Have no clue what keeps running in the background.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone notice the software “shutdown” button st the bottom of settings? Is that new?

Fliesen

Code:

Maybe “Hey, Siri!” function was borked.

for future reference - hit the little clock symbol, so we get "background" and "on screen" time.

Though the 'hey siri' functionality shouldn't have any real on-screen time.

Tigel

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/20/...control-center-wi-fi-bluetooth-tricking-users

You'll have to go into the Settings app to turn off wifi and Bluetooth completely now

I don't want to turn it off completely. I still want my phone to be discoverable. In iOS 10 when bluetooth was ON, the status bar icon was grey. When it was ON and connected to a bluetooth device, the icon turned black.

Now with iOS 11, when I turn bluetooth on, the icon flashes grey/black for like 2 secs and then stays black even though it's not actively connected to any bluetooth devices.

Pachimari

Just bought Affinity Photo for iPad too as it seems super impressive and full flexed, and a very good Photoshop substitute. I can’t wait to play around with it, with some of my RAW photos and hopefully being able to transfer it app to my Dropbox and be able to continue work in Adobe Bridge or Lightroom on a Mac/Windows.

Red

I think I’ll have to check out Affinity Photo. I have a 9.7” Pro, and it is used only for vocabulary games and white noise for my 2 year old. Might as well put it to use.

I hope iOS12 gives at least the option to remove all app titles, not just in the dock.

FYI iPad artists, I primarily use Medibang Paint w/Apple Pencil on my 12.9 pro. Since the iOS 11 update importing layers and moving them around on the canvas brings the iPad to a crawl. Hopefully the team is working on an update. I tried using Procreate 4 and it’s flawless.

Blackhead

Redarse
The broken Spotlight search for open apps is driving me crazy. If the developer uses a different label name for the app then it doesn't show up at all! If I type in a category name like "game" I don't get any results. Fuck you Apple and your dark patterns, no I don't want to give Siri search permissions for all my apps. Now I'll have to waste time organizing Springboard and see if I can fit all my apps in folders on one page. Very frustrating

can you rollback iOS?

Yes, if you hurry. To quote myself:

You can still downgrade. Backup any data that's important to you, download the 10.3.3 ISPW from https://ipsw.me, go into iTunes, hold down Shift while clicking restore, and select the ISPW you just downloaded. You will lose all your data, but you will end up back at iOS 10.

If you actually want to do this, you need to hurry and take the plunge before Apple stops signing iOS 10. Once that happens, downgrades become impossible.

Apple could stop signing iOS 10 at literally any time, but as of right now, it's still possible.

Top Bottom