• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA releasing Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana in English (PS4/Vita/Steam) in 2017

I got Ys: Oath, and Origin during the Winter sale. Really enjoyed Oath, and loved Origin.

I didn't even know this game existed. This looks like a dream. Day 1 on Steam for me!

For those wondering if you can jump into ys 8

I've not played it, but if its like every other game in the series (minus ys 2) they're all completely stand alone stories and adventures with minor lip services to previous adventures. A few of the reoccuring gags might initially be lost on you (like adol's history of no luck with ships) but nothing that'll keep you from enjoying the game.

What is with all the different publishers for Ys? Even Konami is in the mix

It basically didn't do well for any publisher before Xseed and no one else decided to continue with the series, the same thing with Bamco and Trails (hell even Xseed stopped with Trails until they decided several years later to try again on PC). As it's been said several times in the thread, Xseed basically made the series into what it is in the West, which is why Nisa taking over is such a shock.

Chronoexe

Here is the limited edition for those interested:

XZuXAMe.jpg

Anyone order from Nisa store before?

Ready to put in my LE preorder right now lol.

Yep. All you really need to know is that they do a bank/paypal check (to make sure you have the money and whatever you're using is active) upfront and you'll get the money back after a few days, after that you will not actually be charged for it until they ship it out.

mhayes86

I'm ecstatic to hear that Ys is releasing this year! It's a bummer that XSeed won't be localizing it considering they've been doing it for Falcom for years, and have been doing an excellent job to boot. I can only hope that NISA can match XSeed's quality.

Is Trails not a Falcom property? If Xseed continues to not deliver on time why would Falcom want them to keep working on their properties? These delays can cause damage.

"Continues to not deliver on time"? Out of seven Falcom titles that Xseed published on Steam, the amount of title delayed is a grand total of one.

Thoraxes

Yep. All you really need to know is that they do a bank/paypal check (to make sure you have the money and whatever you're using is active) upfront and you'll get the money back after a few days, after that you will not actually be charged for it until they ship it out.

They usually ship early too, so sometimes you get the games a couple days early! (in my experiences with them anyways)

They usually ship early too, so sometimes you get the games a couple days early! (in my experiences with them anyways)

Dope. Putting in my order now.

Aru

I presume the Steam Version is based on the more content complete PS4 version?
Will grab that one if true.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Tom also responded on XSEED's forums. Bit of a standard fare business-y response.
There's no need to worry about us: we're doing just fine. The reason you haven't heard much from us lately is because we've been busy finishing up big projects like Fate/Extella, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, Akiba's Beat, Trails of Cold Steel II, and Trails in the Sky the 3rd, all of which are massive projects that ate up months of time for each of us, and most of which are only just now starting to wind down.

We certainly would've loved to work on Ys 8 ourselves, but Falcom made a business decision to work with NISA on it, which we respect. We wish our friends at NIS America much success with this release, and I'll tell you right now, I'll certainly be preordering a copy. ;)

-Tom

Huh. Interesting. Hopefully NISA goes Makai Kingdom on this localization, as I've heard the script is dry and chewy.

Note the Negative Nancys in this thread, for shame. Hopefully it was Falcom going for broke getting day 'n date out (or as close as possible) and hitting their homeland of PC hard 'n fast
also XSEED should be bogged down with 3rd, then Zero's English version, Azure's English version, and Cold Steel 3 boom boom boom boom. :D

I think Falcom is capitalizing on that and trying to get their games out closer to JP release in the West. Something that is simply just not possible working exclusively with Xseed. Their games are just too big for them to keep up with under the same working conditions.

Yup. The people talented and crazy enough (plus crazy talented) to tackle phone book scripts with aplomb is a short list, and that list is XSEED.

Did I miss something?

Nah, someone else is missing the Vita's death thralls, though.

pa22word

Uh, where exactly does it say steam in that link?

I want a PC version of it pretty bad, but all I see is Vita and PS4 stuff off of the stuff in the OP.

By my guess, XSEED slowly getting pushed out by Aksys (Tokyo Xanadu) and NISA (Ys VIII) is because they have PC porting capacity that XSEED doesn't.

That's some serious irony right there if XSEED showing Falcom that there's an audience for their titles on PC lead to them losing the top spot on Falcom's list of localization partners due to not being able to port titles themself.

Mozendo

Uh, where exactly does it say steam in that link?

I want a PC version of it pretty bad, but all I see is Vita and PS4 stuff off of the stuff in the OP.

It was announced during the stream.
Since it's most likely going to be digital only no need for Atlus to distribute it.

By my guess, XSEED slowly getting pushed out by Aksys (Tokyo Xanadu) and NISA (Ys VIII) is because they have PC porting capacity that XSEED doesn't.

That's some serious irony right there if XSEED showing Falcom that there's an audience for their titles on PC lead to them losing the top spot on Falcom's list of localization partners.
It is, unfortunately, but not incredibly surprising. Falcom is a business, and a notably conservative one at that. Especially since they don't have their own western division, it makes sense for them to go with the publisher who can give them the most bang for their buck. Sucks for XSEED though, considering the great work they've done with Falcom properties.

Battlechili

Banned
Feels weird (but wonderful) seeing Falcom games on PC again. First Tokyo Xanadu and now this.

The only Falcom game I've played is Ys Origin. I didn't much care for it. Would this be a better Ys game to try out?

Wagram

Feels weird (but wonderful) seeing Falcom games on PC again. First Tokyo Xanadu and now this.

The only Falcom game I've played is Tokyo Xanadu. I didn't much care for it. Would this be a better Ys game to try out?

Check out Ys Origin or Ys: The Oath in Felghana. This game is similar to that of Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys: Seven though. The series has 3 different styles.

desmax

Doesn't the PS4 version have extra in-game content?

Does that apply to the PC version, too?

The Vita version has it's own exclusive content too
I mean, the PS4 one (And probably PC) is clearly the winner, but The Vita version have "Counter-Attack Battles", while the PS4 one have "Supression Battles", from what I understand. They're different from one another

Datschge

I absolutely feel for XSEED people who wanted to work on the game, but why is it shitty? Companies bid for localization licenses all the time. This doesn't really seem unusual except in the sense that XSEED does not appear to have first dibs anymore.
As long as we don't see another Ignition Entertainment turning otherwise fine games like Muramasa and Arc Rise Fantasia into bottom of the barrel localizations.

Battlechili

Banned
Check out Ys Origin or Ys: The Oath in Felghana. This game is similar to that of Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys: Seven though. The series has 3 different styles.
Sorry, I meant to say that I've only played Ys Origin. Edited my text to reflect that. I tried Ys Origin but thought the gameplay was too simple and that it was easy to shoot enemies from afar.

NISA knows all too well what it's like to lose franchises they put their hearts and souls into.

Remember, they used to localize Gust's games (Atelier, Ar tonelico, Mana Khemia) before Koei acquired Gust.

They also used to localize a lot of Idea Factory games, including the lucrative Neptunia series, before IF cut out the middle man and set up their own localization company.

So, I really do feel bad for XSEED, but like others have said, business is business.

zulux21

unless there is neptunia somewhere in the title then it will be a week late.

but since they don't publish the neptunia games anymore that shouldn't be an issue anymore :p

NISA knows all too well what it's like to lose franchises they put their hearts and souls into.

Remember, they used to localize Gust's games (Atelier, Ar tonelico, Mana Khemia) before Koei acquired Gust.

They also used to localize a lot of Idea Factory games, including the lucrative Neptunia series, before IF cut out the middle man and set up their own localization company.

So, I really do feel bad for XSEED, but like others have said, business is business.

Yeah but weren't those releases notoriously half assed? Not sure how much heart and soul went into those there

Theswweet

Wow. I just hope NISA does a good job, but if they do - all the more power to them.

The Vita version has it's own exclusive content too
I mean, the PS4 one (And probably PC) is clearly the winner, but The Vita version have "Counter-Attack Battles", while the PS4 one have "Supression Battles", from what I understand. They're different from one another

Actually, those battles are an alternative for the Tower Defense thing they had going on in the Vita release, not a replacement.

gdt

I saw that Ys VII isn't on PC right? But it's on Vita? So I'd have to play it there after all the currently released Ys games on PC?

Then I can pick this one back up?

Dio

Banned
XSEED put all their heart and soul into their localizations.

I hope NISA doesn't half-ass this one. They'd better not have outbid XSEED just to make a shittier localization than XSEED would have done.

I'm hopeful, but they don't have the greatest track record.

I saw that Ys VII isn't on PC right? But it's on Vita? So I'd have to play it there after all the currently released Ys games on PC?

It's PSP only. No Vita version. The 'Vita' Ys 7 is just the PSP version running on Vita. There is a Chinese Ys 7 port to PC but it's not great.

All of the Ys games can be played without having played previous entries. Even Ys 2, which is a direct sequel, can be played without playing 1 and you will almost fully understand it. Ys is not like Trails, missing bits of story will not significantly detract from the experience.

jb1234

Sorry, I meant to say that I've only played Ys Origin. Edited my text to reflect that. I tried Ys Origin but thought the gameplay was too simple and that it was easy to shoot enemies from afar.

I'm guessing you played as Hugo? Give Yunica a shot. If you like the way she controls, you'll probably like Oath in Felghana as well.

Eila

Play as Yunica. Hugo plays way more boring and defensively. And try hard difficulty or maybe even higher if you want a decent challenge. I found the games plenty challenging in Hard mode.

The amount of inane dialogue in the more recent Ys games needs to be cut down significantly. Also hoping boss rush mode is done better than it was in Memories of Celceta.

sanhora

I feel for XSEED, but it's hard to argue against a day and date PC port. Good on NISA.

Indeed.
As much as I prefer XSEED's translations, if my choices are between not being able to play the game at all because there's no PC release (Celceta), or having a PC port with not as great of a localization, the choice is pretty easy.

Dual audio is a nice plus and something that XSEED seems to be occasionally struggling with.

Top Bottom