• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA releasing Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana in English (PS4/Vita/Steam) in 2017

zakujanai

I understand being shitty to xseed because capitalism, but do they not care about continuity of localisation?

If they switch The Trails series like this I'd be really conflicted about whether to play them.

I clearly still would but there's no way they'd really ever be quite the same series.

I understand being shitty to xseed because capitalism, but do they not care about continuity of localisation?

If they switch The Trails series like this I'd be really conflicted about whether to play them.

I clearly still would but there's no way they'd really ever be quite the same series.

Now i'm imagining a lot of things with Xseed.... did they gave xanadu and YS VIII to concentrate on trails serie? Will we finally able to play ZERO and AO in english?

Wishful thinking i know

desmax

I think money is more important to them

Dio

Banned
Now i'm imagining a lot of things with Xseed.... did they gave xanadu and YS VIII to concentrate on trails serie? Will we finally able to play ZERO and AO in english?

Wishful thinking i know

Well, Tom from XSEED said if they ever were going to localize Zero and Azure, they would have to do The 3rd first and that would be 'committing' to localizing Zero/Azure since The 3rd opens up plot threads that are important in Zero/Ao/Cold Steel I/II/III.

So it's very likely, actually.

Well, Tom from XSEED said if they ever were going to localize Zero and Azure, they would have to do The 3rd first and that would be 'committing' to localizing Zero/Azure since The 3rd opens up plot threads that are important in Zero/Ao/Cold Steel I/II/III.

Yeah but the sales are so low, that's why i'm not sure they will continue after the 3rd! Hope that you're right!

Foffy

Banned
The Vita version has it's own exclusive content too
I mean, the PS4 one (And probably PC) is clearly the winner, but The Vita version have "Counter-Attack Battles", while the PS4 one have "Supression Battles", from what I understand. They're different from one another

To my knowledge, the PS4 version of Ys VIII also had more story content, so it's not just the battle changes.

I know it's nothing but man, it's not a good look when you can't even pronounce the game your company is publishing.

EDIT: Yeah it sounded like he said eight but man, made it more like a syllable.

Fularu

Banned
It's kind of shitty how NISA is reaping the rewards of Xseed's efforts with promoting the Falcom games to the western audiences

I'm really puzzled as to why Falcom ditched them like that.

This is much earlier than i would have anticipated tbh

What, the announcement or the release date? Because the fall release date was expected no matter who got a hold of it, just as long as they had been working on the localization since the Vita release came out. The announcement not so much. Unless you knew beforehand (like a few press/mods in the other thread), no one expected this to be announced here and instead whenever Xseed would have had their announcements.

Dio

Banned
Steam page up.

Includes Japanese text unlike what the trailer said!

Cool. If the NISA localization is subpar and filled with EPIC MEMES maybe a retranslation patch will be easier thanks to the JP text strings being included with the game.

sucks. feeling bad for xseed :/ they handled falcom games well mostly. loved their packaging and their slick LEs. hopefully the new guys can keep up. that's one huge limited edition.

Eila

If?

They're worse than old scholl WD

Depends on the game. I didn't see any dank memes on Yomawari. But then again look at the freaking game. It's not appropiate.
Ys VIII might have some with random NPCs (something XSEED did on Ys Seven, but they seemingly stopped doing that) but I don't feel NISA are that bad anymore.

Eila

So... Cold Steel I and II Steam pages when?
(Does XSEED own the translation for them, or is it Falcom's IP?)

Generally the developer keeps it. An example would be Origin on PS4 (seemingly) using the translation. Or Spike putting Danganronpa on steam without NISA.
But for some reason Ys I & II mobile didn't keep the XSEED translation.

Famassu

Is Trails not a Falcom property? If Xseed continues to not deliver on time why would Falcom want them to keep working on their properties? These delays can cause damage.
They've released three out of four Trails releases in time so far (4 out of 5 Trails games when they'll get Third out later this year). SC was the only problematic release and that wasn't only on XSeed but a few things just mounting up on an already challenging localization.

Shengar

Nisa haven't made any stupid translation mess up recently (Esty Erhart rename still got my blood boils), but I'm still sceptical on their handling with Ys. I know it's on Falcom, but Xseed got ditched is not really helping me staying positive too.

Corpekata

Banned
Even if they futz up the translation, it's still y'know, Ys. Not exactly Falcom's peak storytelling series. All that really matters is some cool boss fights and I'm good.

mothball

At least with the PC version there's the possibility for us to make our own patch to fix the bugs NISA will inevitably introduce.

Famassu

Yeah but the sales are so low, that's why i'm not sure they will continue after the 3rd! Hope that you're right!
The good thing about at least Zero is that while it does continue to build on the foundation set in the Sky trilogy, it does begin a new story with mostly new characters in a new setting. Even if Third doesn't sell a ton, they could maybe justify Zero & Azure by assuming that a lot more people might jump into those even without having played the Sky trilogy. It's a semi-fresh start for the games on Steam. I mean, the Cold Steel games are the third separate story arc in the franchise and those have done really well even among people who've never played Sky or Zero + Azure, so just as long as XSeed would market Zero + Azure as a new thing people can jump into without people feeling like they have to have played 3 other games, they could maybe sell at least a little better than the two Sky sequels.

pa22word

Even if they futz up the translation, it's still y'know, Ys. Not exactly Falcom's peak storytelling series. All that really matters is some cool boss fights and I'm good.

At the end of the day...this, really.

We could have a FFT level translation and I doubt that many would care that they missed the deep, thought provoking dialog comprised of Dogi making a wisecrack or a villain pulled straight out 90s anime tossing lines that would make Freeza wince with shame.

If anything, it might actually work in a weird, B level game sort of way.

Intel_89

If it doesn't come over to europe I'll have to decide between one of the two physical versions, Vita or PS4. Good news either way.

L.O.R.D

has this been posted yet?
4025da6d2a148ee7b5a2180d951344d84f4a2139a6e8faeb548a2d4edec31544.png

Famassu

"Very likely" is being a tad optimistic. There's a chance but a lot of things could still go against XSeed on Zero & Azure localizations and force them to reconsider and even abandon their tries. As hopeful as I want to be, Third has the likelihood to be an even bigger bomba than SC (third game in the trilogy, SC kind of wrapped up the main story and it's a departure gameplay-wise, being more of a dungeon crawler), which might weight into XSeed's decisions to work on the remaining two PC releases, and the technical issues with especially Azure can spoil their attempts, so I don't want to get my hopes up too much by thinking it'd be "very likely". There's a chance but that's all there is until XSeed (or someone) announces the localizations.

It's kind of shitty how NISA is reaping the rewards of Xseed's efforts with promoting the Falcom games to the western audiences

I'm really puzzled as to why Falcom ditched them like that.

XSEED is caught up in the irony that they created the JRPG boom on Steam, but don't have the resources to match now that Falcom wants to fully capitalize on that PC JRPG boom. And unfortunately, I don't think their Falcom localizations are profitable enough for them to invest in a porting team, which puts them in the predicament of losing out on Falcom localizations to studios that do have porting teams. Something something vicious cycle.

Wonder how publishing them would work out for XSEED now that Joyoland has yoinked the Steam packages for those. As far as I can tell, they'd have to work with Joyoland as well now.

Honestly that worries more concerning Zero/Ao's localization chances (Well, XSEED localization, that is. *Shudders at the thought of Joyoland throwing the scripts through Google Translate and calling it a wrap*) than Trails TC sales.

Can't think of a single game on Steam that has gotten separate packages and store pages for different publishers on the same game. And even then that opens another can of worms if they did get separate store pages for XSEED and Joyoland's versions in that Joyoland might perceive a Reverse-Importing threat or XSEED muscling in on "their" territory. Etc etc.

SarusGray

I'm happy and kind of sad about this. XSeed translated trails so well -minus one slightly confusing homophobic part that had to due with maybe japanese culture at the time- and they really I mean really put their heart and soul into the translations and I never felt like they half assed it either.

But jesus, getting confirmation this is coming, pc, ps4 and vita is incredible. I'm going to double dip on ps4 and vita but it's kind of sad. I love xseed, bought every single trails, ys game from ya. Really hoping you get trails of cold steel 3, you all deserve it.

Also XSeeds limited editions were amazing.

I'm happy and kind of sad about this. XSeed translated trails so well -minus one slightly confusing homophobic part that had to due with maybe japanese culture at the time- and they really I mean really put their heart and soul into the translations and I never felt like they half assed it either.

But jesus, getting confirmation this is coming, pc, ps4 and vita is incredible. I'm going to double dip on ps4 and vita but it's kind of sad. I love xseed, bought every single trails, ys game from ya. Really hoping you get trails of cold steel 3, you all deserve it.

Also XSeeds limited editions were amazing.

Actually, this is the part that scares me.

All of Falcom's PS4 games so far that have been announced for localization have all gone to different publishers, all of whom have a port team on hand to do a PC release with.

Wouldn't be entirely surprised at this point if CS3's localization ended up in someone else's hands, along with whomever that would be publishing Steam releases of the first two.

SarusGray

All of Falcom's PS4 games so far that have been announced for localization have all gone to different publishers, all of whom have a port team on hand to do a PC release with.

Wouldn't be entirely surprised at this point if CS3's localization ended up in someone else's hands, along with whomever that would be publishing Steam releases of the first two.

I think Falcom will let XSeed keep Trails. It really makes sense. They give Tokyo to Akys, now Ys to NIS, maybe they want Xseed to simply focus on the Trails Series. God it would feel awkward playing trails by different publishers/translators.

t26

CS3 have more text than Ys or Tokyo Xanadu. Don't see any one willing to put up the work.

sega4ever

XSEED is caught up in the irony that they created the JRPG boom on Steam, but don't have the resources to match now that Falcom wants to fully capitalize on that PC JRPG boom. And unfortunately, I don't think their Falcom localizations are profitable enough for them to invest in a porting team, which puts them in the predicament of losing out on Falcom localizations to studios that do have porting teams. Something something vicious cycle.

Wonder how publishing them would work out for XSEED now that Joyoland has yoinked the Steam packages for those. As far as I can tell, they'd have to work with Joyoland as well now.

Honestly that worries more concerning Zero/Ao's localization chances (Well, XSEED localization, that is. *Shudders at the thought of Joyoland throwing the scripts through Google Translate and calling it a wrap*) than Trails TC sales.

Can't think of a single game on Steam that has gotten separate packages and store pages for different publishers on the same game. And even then that opens another can of worms if they did get separate store pages for XSEED and Joyoland's versions in that Joyoland might perceive a Reverse-Importing threat or XSEED muscling in on "their" territory. Etc etc.

this day just gets better and better.

wrowa

What happened here is really nothing special or particularly noteworthy, but it nevertheless just doesn't feel right. Xseed worked hard to make Falcom's games popular in the west and they even localized games no one else would have touched with a ten feet pole (I remember how shocked people where when Xseed announced they'd localize Trails, a series people thought would never make it to the west). It's perfectly reasonable for Falcom to work together with partners that are able to offer them a better deal, but still, leaving Xseed behind like this just feels disappointing. It actually makes me feel less excited for Ys VIII, as silly as that is.

I wonder if it's related to Xseed not being able to make a PC port. They are really behind the curve on that front, especially considering they were among the first to embrace Steam.

Ah, well. Here's hoping Xseed will be able to continue working on Trails at least.

Thrilled to see this both in English and on PC. Less thrilled that XSEED won't be working on it. :( Hopefully NISA does the game justice!

Rektash

Wow this is some ice cold ditching of XSEED by Falcom.

A decision made to fill Falcoms pockets at the cost of translation quality because lets face it: NISA Translations are of lesser average quality than XSEEDs work.

I'd rather have a better translation and no Steam version of this.

KainXVIII

Nice!
NISA means better support and faster release date? =)

A decision made to fill Falcoms pockets at the cost of translation quality because lets face it: NISA Translations are of lesser average quality than XSEEDs work.

I'd rather have a better translation and no Steam version of this.
Didn't XSEED just use fan translation for some of their steam releases? Also their tech support is wonky.

Famassu

Didn't XSEED just use fan translation for some of their steam releases? Also their tech support is wonky.
They licensed the use of Ys fan translations for at least Oath in Felghana and maybe Chronicles IIRC. They've since released many Ys games with localizations of their own without any problems.

Their tech support is about as good as you could expect from a miniscule company of their size. They patch games as fast as possible IF possible (I remember TitS SC getting, like, almost daily patches for some small issues) and do their best with other stuff (Little King's Story PC version).

SarusGray

Nice!
NISA means better support and faster release date? =)

NISA means wat? Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain. ;-( NIS I know you're about to announce it, please giveee NOW <3

Top Bottom