• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA releasing Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana in English (PS4/Vita/Steam) in 2017

Sad to see it's not by XSEED, and NISA of all companies, ugh. Not a fan of their work.

Still, Japanese audio and being on PC means i'll buy it regardless.

FLD

Damn, kind of a bummer that XSEED lost Ys. Can't say I'm not excited for a Steam release, though. Having to play the game on Vita would've kind of sucked after getting used to 60fps on PC. Hopefully NISA will at least make an effort to keep their localization consistent with the existing games...

But after Tokyo Xanadu and now this, it really looks like Falcom are starting to prioritize PC releases. That's obviously for the best but it sucks for XSEED since that's not something they can really offer. Wonder if Trails will eventually follow suit. :/

Damn, kind of a bummer that XSEED lost Ys. Can't say I'm not excited for a Steam release, though. Having to play the game on Vita would've kind of sucked after getting used to 60fps on PC. Hopefully NISA will at least make an effort to keep their localization consistent with the existing games...

But after Tokyo Xanadu and now this, it really looks like Falcom are starting to prioritize PC releases. That's obviously for the best but it sucks for XSEED since that's not something they can really offer. Wonder if Trails will eventually follow suit. :/

I think it has to do less with prioritizing PC releases and more to do with the mishandling of their properties. Xseed chose to do Steam ports and they ran into issues and delays repeatedly. Falcom probably didn't like that.

I think it has to do less with prioritizing PC releases and more to do with the mishandling of their properties. Xseed chose to do Steam ports and they ran into issues and delays repeatedly. Falcom probably didn't like that.

The Ys ports were always on time and were good ports though.

Stuff like Corpse Party or other games had, at least if what XSeed said is true, just really really bad coding and I can believe that judging by what Durante encountered when he even tried to fix big budget games (like FF13s stuff).

Edit: The only big problem was Trails 2.

Mozendo

Xseed is done with Vita exclusives, despite them telling us otherwise. At the same time, we knew not long after release that this wouldn't be exclusive, and whichever company got it, would have to wait for Falcom to release the PS4 version before bringing anything over, something that some posters don't seem to understand.
Ah okay, makes sense.
Shame we never got Luminous Arc Inifnity and Net High :S

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OMG a PC release for this as well? That's fantastic news. Bit sad to see XSEED isn't working on this after so many fantastic releases including all the work they put into getting the first Ys games on Steam. Though if it means a quicker localization and the PC release I can hope it was for the better for Falcom and their international fanbase.

Granjinha

Is Trails not a Falcom property? If Xseed continues to not deliver on time why would Falcom want them to keep working on their properties? These delays can cause damage.

The delay on Trails SC was on Carpe Fulgur (which they apologized for tons of times)

XSEED has always treated the Falcom properties with care and released them with good timing. You're way off the mark there.

Were you not aware of the delays?

I don't think you really know what you're talking about here.

yami4ct

Yeah. Sky 2 had issues, but I can't think of any other delays and Sky 2 was its own specific messed up ball of wax.

Eusis

Japanese audio, french text, whew.

Why are people upset that XSEED isn't doing it? Who cares?
Empathy for the translators that wanted to work on this but missed out, liking the same company getting to do things if they were doing a good job before, being cool on NISA for one reason or another compared to other companies (they have made dubious calls and messed up at times in the past), etc.

Ys was basically a dead franchise in the west until Xseed got a hold of it and got the games on steam with high quality translations. Nisa translations aren't as good as Xseed's, but Nisa can get the game out faster and on more platforms then Xseed can.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is Trails not a Falcom property? If Xseed continues to not deliver on time why would Falcom want them to keep working on their properties? These delays can cause damage.

SC was the only game they didn't deliver "on time," and it had extenuating circumstances. I mean, we're getting 4 Trails games (SC, 3rd, CS, CS2) in under 2 years. That's a lot faster than Falcom releases them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Hmm let's see what games Xseed did...

Ys Seven
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin
Ys I & II Chronicles+
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

OH WELL GEEZ WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE UPSET LOL

Ys Seven
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin
Ys I & II Chronicles+

but who cares about the localization quality or anything if we get DUAL AUDIO THATS ALL THAT MATTERS LALALALALALAAL

Daeoc

I'm fine with this since it means we'll get a PC version. XSEED wasn't able to give us PC versions of Ys Seven or Ys Celceta.

. . . Now The Legend of Heroes series is different, and I hope XSEED finds a way to bring Cold Steel to PC.

Ys Seven
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys Origin
Ys I & II Chronicles+

Oath in Felghana so good you listed it twice ;)

Edit: I know he's listing the psp and pc releases separately relax :X

yami4ct

In terms of Kiseki, which is all I can speak to since I'm not big on Ys, the XSEED localization is fantastic and the english voice direction is really quite good as well. I wouldn't want the series given to a series that would put in lesser work, and many localization companies have far more mixed track records.

I assume Ys fans feel similarly.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
but who cares about the localization quality or anything if we get DUAL AUDIO THATS ALL THAT MATTERS LALALALALALAAL

That type of shit always cracks me up, if you don't care about the localization because of getting dual audio why the hell didnt you just import the game :p
Oath in Felghana so good you listed it twice ;)
Pc and Psp versions are pretty different.

Was just mainly listing them off in release order

Eila

You're talking about SC? I think it was the other way around (PSP version delayed the PC version), although both had tons of issues.

I would say I don't care who localizes the Ys titles but I would be lying. XSEEDs quality of localization is miles higher than what NISA has put out over the past 5-6 years.

Will watch and wait with this one.

Can't believe it. Vita version and physical. Thank you based NISA.

It seems these localization companies have quiet years then stellar years on Vita. I remember wondering whether NISA would touch the console again a couple of years ago after things dried up in 2015, and now look at them. Conversely, XSEED seemed to be doing loads for it at that time and now they're doing bugger all.

Anyway, can't wait for this. Although I know it won't reach the heights of Oath in Felghana, I'm still excited.

He was counting PC versions separately, but yeah, it's worth noting platforms or combining the two.

That type of shit always cracks me up, if you don't care about the localization because of getting dual audio why the hell didnt you just import the game :p

Pc and Psp versions are pretty different.

Was just mainly listing them off in release order

Well it did release on pc and psp.
But yeah as hype as i am for ys 8 on pc, i really feel bad for xseed on this :(

Guys plz I knew this D:

Mozendo

I would say I don't care who localizes the Ys titles but I would be lying. XSEEDs quality of localization is miles higher than what NISA has put out over the past 5-6 years.

Man, this reminds me I need to complete Operation Abyss and the localization for that is below average. I'm a bit worried about Operation Babel even though Stranger of Sword City was fine.

Yeah. Japanese audio doesn't count for much if the localization is crap (Looking at you, Digimon Cyber Sleuth)

Same with Trails of Hearts on Vita

I don't speak Japanese, but when I can tell the dialogue I'm reading doesn't even remotely match what the characters are saying/doing it's a far more jarring disconnect then a "bad dub" would ever be.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
NISA generally doesn't localize anything that interests me, so I'm not familiar with their PC ports. Are they pretty good?

jb1234

In terms of Kiseki, which is all I can speak to since I'm not big on Ys, the XSEED localization is fantastic and the english voice direction is really quite good as well. I wouldn't want the series given to a series that would put in lesser work, and many localization companies have far more mixed track records.

I assume Ys fans feel similarly.

Nah. Ys games aren't especially riveting on the story and character front (no matter how much Falcom may want them to be in more recent games). Obviously, I don't want a bad localization but I'm not worried about a middle-of-the-road one. Kiseki is a very different story. I feel bad for XSEED but if they had to make a choice, their talents are much better served on Kiseki.

(And it's very hard to say no to a Steam port, my preferred gaming method.)

NISA generally doesn't localize anything that interests me, so I'm not familiar with their PC ports. Are they pretty good?

Disgaea 1 had a pretty rough start, but since then they have started to do beta tests before launch and that seems to have cleared up most issues with the games. So other than D1 at the start, they've been pretty good.

Eila

The first one they did way back in 2012 (Cladun x2) was extremely basic but since they came back last year the games have been pretty good in my experience. Disgaea PC had tons of issues at launch, but a lot of them were due to users having the steam beta client installed. They also worked on it and added things that were lacking like Xinput button layout support.
Anyway I wonder who's actually porting it. This type of info isn't always clear.

I would be more upset about nisa getting ys 8 if I cared for Ys' story. The truth is the stories in the more recent ys games are residentsleeper and honestly a shitty translation might be preferable since it'll give me a genuine reason to skip those 15 minute cut scenes of characters repeating the same whats going on what we plan to do to fix it and how we feel about it that I got 30 seconds earlier.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Can I jump on the Ys bandwagon with VIII?

I sure as hell hope whoever's working on this plays the rest of the series' recent English language releases because there are a whole lot of terminology and event call backs in the text that'll far apart without proper continuity/research.

This was the first thing that I started to think about when I read the news. If anything, keeping the series with XSeed has allowed for some very consistent translations and I'd hate to see that ruined now.

...Especially since I find NISA's track record to be rather spotty.

Same with Trails of Hearts on Vita

I don't speak Japanese, but when I can tell the dialogue I'm reading doesn't even remotely match what the characters are saying/doing it's a far more jarring disconnect then a "bad dub" would ever be.

Seeing and hearing about Tales of Hearts R localization and seeing some screenshots of lines made me not want to get that game at all...

I'd agree with the whole dialogue disconnect being more jarring than a cringe-y, "bad dub." I've dealt with games with "bad dubs" before and, as long as I'm entertained by the game or interested in it, I'm good. Plus, I have the option to mute the voices most of the time. :p

Top Bottom