• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA releasing Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana in English (PS4/Vita/Steam) in 2017

They did when NISA used to offer the limited editions to other retailers. It's back to being a NISA Store exclusive now, so no luck there.
:/
Are there other ways to import if you are from outside the US? Like those japanese shipping services perhaps, only more american-y?

Fularu

Banned
Fuck me, I hope the LEs will be available on Amazon,ca and not just on NISA's website.

40$ to ship both Ys games ot Canada is highway robbery

Marche90

What's so bad about Aksys?

My guess is that it has to do that lately some of Aksys' games haven't been released with an English track, only the Japanese audio, which rubs some people the wrong way.

As a non-native English speaker this doesn't affect me as much, but I can see why some people see it that way

This seems like a bad gamble. If NIS fucks up the localization it may cause ill will towards the series.

Playing the short game is not a great idea for a small company like Falcom. Xseed built the reputation overseas. Throwing that away may make them more money now, but I have a feeling it could really bite them in the ass later.

We'll see what happens. I personally do not have faith in NIS's localization ability.

Oreiller

This seems like a bad gamble. If NIS fucks up the localization it may cause ill will towards the series.

Playing the short game is not a great idea for a small company like Falcom. Xseed built the reputation overseas. Throwing that away may make them more money now, but I have a feeling it could really bite them in the ass later.

We'll see what happens. I personally do not have faith in NIS's localization ability.
How is having the game on more platforms and in more languages bad for the series?

Shizuka

Can people give some examples to NISA's "bad localization"? I don't get it.

Can people give some examples to NISA's "bad localization"? I don't get it.

I honestly can't think of anything other than some of their PS2 localizations which they definitely did not give the same amount of attention to as say Disgaea.

The ar tonelico series and the neptunia series are known for poor or strange translations, often times changing the original meaning.

They've done a large amount of games since either one of those series and the quality has only gotten better since then.

Shizuka

Didn't the localization team end up creating a game-ending glitch in Ar Tonelico 2?

If anything, that was caused by Gust. NISA doesn't have an in-house development crew, they just localize text and send it back for the original developer to insert localization.

Their Danganronpa localizations are frequently criticized by Japanese speakers.

They took their liberties to appease to a wider audience, that doesn't mean it's a bad localization. For me, bad localizations are the atrocious ones we often talk about in the VN thread.

Their Danganronpa localizations are frequently criticized by Japanese speakers.
As far as I can tell, that's primarily a case of overlocalization to accomodate 1) the dub and 2) the wider audience. Apparently there are at least a few outright translation mistakes, though.

But Ys isn't set in Japan, so I can't see overlocalization being a huge issue.

In addition to what was said earlier, they bungled the watches for Zero Time Dilemma and messed things up with Shiren 5 as I recall.

oh yeah....

Hope things go better with TX LE

Got the Ys VIII and eX+ LE's preordered. Fall and Winter games set. This year is a great year to be a Falcom fan.

All this talk about NISA being bad localizers is ridiculous, they are pretty good compared to most. XSEED is generally better, but not so much that I would worry too much about the quality. Continuity with prior series games is a bit up in the air, but NISA generally does good work. Better than Aksys, and I don't even think Aksys is that bad.

Shizuka

In addition to what was said earlier, they bungled the watches for Zero Time Dilemma and messed things up with Shiren 5 as I recall.

What happened with Shiren?

NISA can inspire from confidence from me by telling me who is creating the PC version of the game.

NISA has a great track record with PC ports, specially considering they've been using Abstraction for some contract work.

NISA can inspire from confidence from me by telling me who is creating the PC version of the game.

...If it turns out that Falcom themselves are doing the PC ports of this and ToXanadu, I fear what the reaction will be around here after so many of us assumed that XSEED being skipped is because they don't have a port team. inb4 Joyoland with their DRM.

And aren't NISA's ports actually pretty good aside from Disgaea's launch issues and a 2012 PSP port?

It's Aksys and Tokyo Xanadu I'm worried about here. They've done some genuinely awful ports.

Durante

All this talk about NISA being bad localizers is ridiculous, they are pretty good compared to most. XSEED is generally better, but not so much that I would worry too much about the quality. Continuity with prior series games is a bit up in the air, but NISA generally does good work. Better than Aksys, and I don't even think Aksys is that bad.
The Ar Tonelico translations really were quite broken in places. AT2 even had instances of untranslated strings, and AT3 messed up the order of many flavor conversations.

What I like a whole lot about NISA is their general insistence on dual audio releases.

FLD

...If it turns out that Falcom themselves are doing the PC ports of this and ToXanadu, I fear what the reaction will be around here after so many of us assumed that XSEED being skipped is because they don't have a port team.

I'd be even more torn about that! Falcom handling the porting in-house would be great because it would pretty much guarantee PC versions for everything going forward. It would make the whole XSEED situation even shittier, though. As much as I want Cold Steel on PC, I really hope XSEED don't end up losing Trails as well. :(

And if it is due to XSEED's lack of porting capabilities, then hopefully this will push them to finally fix that.

Fuck me, I hope the LEs will be available on Amazon,ca and not just on NISA's website.

40$ to ship both Ys games ot Canada is highway robbery

Man, at least with XSeed we'd get a good chance of getting the LEs at a decent price up here in the north. But I guess I'll miss out on this one if no canadian retailers get it.

Fularu

Banned
Man, at least with XSeed we'd get a good chance of getting the LEs at a decent price up here in the north. But I guess I'll miss out on this one if no canadian retailers get it.

I'm pissed because I have every single Ys LE so far (PSP games and Vita game) as well as TitS FC, ToCS 1 and 2. I love the fact that Xseed's LEs are just slightly more expensive than the regular editions and are widely available here up north.

NISA fucking us again, what a surprise.

Theswweet

Man, I just realized that this whole Ys VIII announcement really overshadowed some other bombshells last night; Coven isn't coming over. Demon Gaze 2 isn't coming over (unless Experience is self-pubbing that on PSN like SoSC Revisited?), Princess is Money-Hungry isn't coming over...

Also, it's a shame that Ys VIII - while it's getting a PC port - is Steam only. I really wish I could get it on GOG with my other Falcom titles!

AniHawk

The ar tonelico series and the neptunia series are known for poor or strange translations, often times changing the original meaning.

the neptunia series had pretty dry scripts. i give the editor a lot of credit for trying to punch those up a bit and make them entertaining at all. the neptunia fans were pretty ridiculous with their insistence against 'memes' when the series itself is full of references and about the personification of video game companies as moe girls.

the ar tonelico games were seven years ago. the localization of the second in particular was not what anyone wanted, but i think it would be fair to let that one go in the context of their recent games.

the reason i want to point this out is that the staff changed over the years. you have a couple people who handled danganronpa (danganronpa 2 was actually one editor's first major title), although the editor for danganronpa 1 (houk) isn't there anymore. the neptunia editor isn't there anymore either. the only mainstay is the guy who does disgaea, who's handled the series since disgaea 2.

i really don't think you have to worry about ys in this regard. everyone at nisa is well aware of how important the franchise is to fans (this is the 30th anniversary after all), and how good xseed treated it up until now. it's a matter of shoes to fill and that's something that isn't being considered lightly.

Man, I just realized that this whole Ys VIII announcement really overshadowed some other bombshells last night; Coven isn't coming over. Demon Gaze 2 isn't coming over (unless Experience is self-pubbing that on PSN like SoSC Revisited?), Princess is Money-Hungry isn't coming over...

if they do a stream of their anime expo panel, then i think you can expect all of those and a little more.

Yeah I'm giving NISA the benefit of the doubt and expecting good things from them.

The LE already bought them a lot of good will in my book. Good price for a good package.

I'm pissed because I have every single Ys LE so far (PSP games and Vita game) as well as TitS FC, ToCS 1 and 2. I love the fact that Xseed's LEs are just slightly more expensive than the regular editions and are widely available here up north.

NISA fucking us again, what a surprise.

I didn't become a super falcom fan until a bit later than that but yeah, I started buying all the falcom LEs that I could. I was happy that the XSeed ones were readily available.

If Aksys/NISA are the people going forward then it's not looking good for Canadians lol.

Theswweet

if they do a stream of their anime expo panel, then i think you can expect all of those and a little more.

I could maybe see that for Coven, but I'm still not sure. Demon Gaze 2 is getting an Asian English release next month, so I'm just assuming that if it's coming westward it's getting self-pubbed by Experience.

I could maybe see that for Coven, but I'm still not sure. Demon Gaze 2 is getting an Asian English release next month, so I'm just assuming that if it's coming westward it's getting self-pubbed by Experience.

I wouldn't trust Play-Asia's listing on that, they've made many, many mistakes on this kind of stuff in the past. Such as the English release of Nobunaga's Ambition on Vita. Or the fact they had Civilization Revolution 2 Plus listed since about January 2015 for release in March 2015 then just kept pushing it back a month at a time until it finally released in December.

I always seem to forget that AX is also another big NISA announcement time. Time to wait for then!

Well, they had 0 announcements last year and iirc they didn't announce anything in 2015. They used to have lots of big announcements there but don't seem to anymore.

But if Ani is saying this is the year, then great! Would be surprised to see both Coven and Demon Gaze though.

I suppose they'll have to port both Demon Gaze 1 and Demon Gaze 2 to PC which will likely take some time.

Eusis

Are there any differences between the Vita and PS4 SKUs like there is with Tokyo Xanadu?
If NISA isn't going the extra mile here I think there were extra segments and stuff slated for the PS4 version.

But then Aksys made it clear there were differences for Tokyo Xanadu, yet nothing seems to be said for Ys VIII yet...

wrowa

The advantage XSEED has over other publishers is that they are the only ones crazy enough to take on projects as big as Trails games. While both Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu are big games on their own, their size pales in comparison to your average Trails game. Falcom already said Cold Steel III will have an enormous script, so colour me surprised if that would end up in another publisher's hands.

This is actually something that kinda worries me about all of this. It's obvious that XSEED loves working on the Trails franchise and I'm sure they'll continue working on it for as long as they can justify, however, I do wonder if what happens here makes it harder for XSEED to justify spending lots of resources on these crazy big games when Falcom takes its more profitable projects elsewhere.

Some people claimed that XSEED fast-tracked Cold Steel's localization in order to stay in good terms with Falcom and, well, if that was the case then that apparently didn't quite work out.

Some people claimed that XSEED fast-tracked Cold Steel's localization in order to stay in good terms with Falcom and, well, if that was the case then that apparently didn't quite work out.

They're still doing Trails in the Sky the 3rd, so it's not like they're not working with Falcom anymore.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

It was more because it was a PS3 title. Not many games for PS3 really got made even last year, as most ended up becoming DD with only the PS4 versions being physical copies. If you look at CS3, they completely ditched PS3. It was more a time-factor, due to that.

desmax

Yeah, but kinda sucks that the games will end up being early 2018 titles.

Oh well, guess it takes time to port them to other platforms

Squire

Banned
Lacrimosa of Dana was my GOTY last year, so glad to see it getting localised in the West this year.

The advantage XSEED has over other publishers is that they are the only ones crazy enough to take on projects as big as Trails games. While both Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu are big games on their own, their size pales in comparison to your average Trails game. Falcom already said Cold Steel III will have an enormous script, so colour me surprised if that would end up in another publisher's hands.

Do you think NISA is up to the task of translating this?

Theswweet

I see no reason why there wouldn't still be PS4/PC exclusive content, the stuff that's being "added" to the PS4 version was cut from the Vita release because it wouldn't fit due to size constraints. As it is, I expect the Japanese audio to be free DLC on the Vita release.

Top Bottom