• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Kaizer

Banned
Finally started playing this again, I'm around Lvl. 70 and I was wondering - have I missed some Arts Manuals? Some of the skills for Dunban and Reyn haven't been updated in forever. They have a surplus of AP just waiting to be spent and I have a feeling I screwed up.

nan0

Finally started playing this again, I'm around Lvl. 70 and I was wondering - have I missed some Arts Manuals? Some of the skills for Dunban and Reyn haven't been updated in forever. They have a surplus of AP just waiting to be spent and I have a feeling I screwed up.

You get the rest of them by killing high-level (your level and above) unique monsters. They don't drop them everytime, so you may want to save before tackling one.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The best method for high level art books is
to fight the monster and get a gold chest drop, then save. Then open it. Don't get what you want? Reload and try again. Monster respawned? That's good because you can get another gold chest drop, and have two opportunities to get what you want. Still don't get it? Save again and reload so now you have two chests on the ground to try. Rinse, repeat.

I think at one point I had like five gold chests I was checking when I loaded the game.

Kaizer

Banned
Okay thanks guys, of course I'd noticed that some Arts Manuals were being dropped by monsters, just never thought they would contain access to the higher level abilities.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay thanks guys, of course I'd noticed that some Arts Manuals were being dropped by monsters, just never thought they would contain access to the higher level abilities.

In that big, spoilery Google document for the game, it has a list of all the unique monsters, and what art books they drop (if any).

Levyne

Banned
In that big, spoilery Google document for the game, it has a list of all the unique monsters, and what art books they drop (if any).

Was my best friend in late game. And yes I was about halfway though getting the art books when i learned that the contents of the gold chests are determined when you open it, not when it drops. Quite a "doh!" moment there.

scitek

So, I'm kinda tight for money right now, but I really wanna play this. I never pay full price for games anymore, but I know I won't ever find it discounted anywhere. It's probably safe to assume that it'll be rare like Metroid Prime Trilogy, yeah? So, if I had to, I could probably sell it later on and get my money back?

EDIT: Screw it, I bit.

KidDork

My copy was waiting for me when I got home. Like an adult, I set it aside until I finished Saints Row 3, but now I'm starting to think I'll be blowing the dust off the Wii tonight.

Zornica

Banned
I was bored and went through my old Dolphin screenshots folder, when I stumbled over this one

epicshotlylfs.jpg

Overall, of all screenshots I've ever seen, this is probably my favorit, and I wanted to share it with you guys, since I think this shot awsome and sums up the game perfectly in a nutshell. The scale, the atmosphere, the suspense, the art design (and most importantly the grass :p) everything of importance is present here.

Love the red lights of the Mechonis in the background. It worked amazingly well as a backdrop in the game.

I wish being on the Mechonis had been more interesting...

Hero

I'm fighting Disciple Lorithia and having a difficult time. How the fuck is this fight even fair? Aside from the bullshit adds that she spawns constantly my guys are always being dumb and sitting in the ether after they get knocked down there, despite my attempts to tell them to relocate on me.

My team is Shulk/Dunban/7th and my attacks do shit to her. I tried switching it to Melia/Sharla/7th and didn't seem to help either.

My guys are all lvl 72, should I grind out a few more levels?

AniHawk

I'm fighting Disciple Lorithia and having a difficult time. How the fuck is this fight even fair? Aside from the bullshit adds that she spawns constantly my guys are always being dumb and sitting in the ether after they get knocked down there, despite my attempts to tell them to relocate on me.

My team is Shulk/Dunban/7th and my attacks do shit to her. I tried switching it to Melia/Sharla/7th and didn't seem to help either.

My guys are all lvl 72, should I grind out a few more levels?

7th/riki/sharla

put double attack v on both slots for 7th's weapon. put a lot into agility and max out the haste art.

it also helps if 7th and dunban have leveled to the point where they can take on dunban's 'every crit gives hp' and then make sure 7th has the 'every double attack is a crit' skill. riki will tank, you will build up the meter quickly, and sharla will keep everyone healed. i had extreme difficulty making a dent with reyn/melia/dunban, but this setup took care of her in a good two minutes, tops.

I was bored and went through my old Dolphin screenshots folder, when I stumbled over this one

Overall, of all screenshots I've ever seen, this is probably my favorit, and I wanted to share it with you guys, since I think this shot awsome and sums up the game perfectly in a nutshell. The scale, the atmosphere, the suspense, the art design (and most importantly the grass :p) everything of importance is present here.

Nice!

Hey guys, I finished Xenoblade many months ago and I still haven't found another JRPG that could grab me. Is something wrong with me? Will I ever get that feeling again?

So i just bought xbc kinda cause i wanted to play it but mostly for collectors value... Was this a good decision? Is it hard to find in US? Got mine on a trip in hawaii.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So i just bought xbc kinda cause i wanted to play it but mostly for collectors value... Was this a good decision? Is it hard to find in US? Got mine on a trip in hawaii.

Well, on Amazon it's $55 for a used copy, but I don't know how much that speaks for how hard it is to find.

It was a really good buy though because it's an AMAZING game. :)

flyover

Hey guys, I finished Xenoblade many months ago and I still haven't found another JRPG that could grab me. Is something wrong with me? Will I ever get that feeling again?
I know that feeling. I haven't had it since finishing Xenoblade, either. I enjoyed The Last Story (some good characters in that one), but it just wasn't the same. Then again, what could be?

I'm off work for a week over Christmas, and planning to finally get around to Lost Odyssey. Maybe that'll scratch the itch a bit. Maybe.

Kenka

Xenoblade owns my soul. This game is so damn addictive.

Question: is there a general strategy to beat mobs that are way stronger than you ? There is an achievement I really want to get and I assume you unlock it by beating a monster 10+ level above yours.
My main problem is that my accuracy is simply too low in those battles and although I figured out that putting enemies at sleep is a clever trick, Riki always falls asleep when he casts his spell making his Bite ability useless. Can anyone help with that ?

Wichu

Xenoblade owns my soul. This game is so damn addictive.

Question: is there a general strategy to beat mobs that are way stronger than you ? There is an achievement I really want to get and I assume you unlock it by beating a monster 10+ level above yours.
My main problem is that my accuracy is simply too low in those battles and although I figured out that putting enemies at sleep is a clever trick, Riki always falls asleep when he casts his spell making his Bite ability useless. Can anyone help with that ?

Most discussion is now in the US OT; this one is pretty much dead :p

Anyway, get your agility as high as possible using skill links + gems. If you can find some, Night Vision gems are also useful.

I didn't get that achievement until the postgame, by defeating one of the superbosses.
Two of the superbosses have a level of at least 109, so you'll always get the achievement if you beat them (max level for the player is 99).

Kenka

Most discussion is now in the US OT; this one is pretty much dead :p

Anyway, get your agility as high as possible using skill links + gems. If you can find some, Night Vision gems are also useful.

I didn't get that achievement until the postgame, by defeating one of the superbosses.
Two of the superbosses have a level of at least 109, so you'll always get the achievement if you beat them (max level for the player is 99).
Victory to Wichu !
Nice avatar :)
Thanks, I don't know why it didn't show up in the search results.

DasMarcos

Banned
This thread isn't very active but I thought I'd let anyone still reading or posting here that I'm giving away a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles in the "Free to a Good Home" thread. The actual process of selecting an applicant will go live next Monday so just write a reminder for yourself if you're interested. Thanks.

Hulohot

Neo Member
Exciting news!

If anyone is still after a copy, shop.... to currently have them in stock on their website and ebay outlet.

Somehow they have secured some of the first print run, but there are not that many copies left. (Ebay, 9 sold, more than 10 available)

It's the PAL copy, and it costs only £33.

Perfect time to get one really.

iboh

Banned
So I want to play this game, and hear its amazing. I didnt jump on the chance to buy it and now its basically unattainable. I have been a lurker on this forum for ~5 years, just now getting around to posting. Does anyone have any availability to this game? Can PM me? Not looking to get it for 20 bucks or anything, just dont want to pay 100

aravuus

Started a second playthrough and I'm enjoying the game a lot more than when I first played it. There are a lot of things I absolutely hate, like that bitch Fiora, but since I know what to expect, I won't be disappointed or negatively surprised. I'm kind of indifferent about the battle system, it's alright, but the thing that saves the gameplay is the crazy amount of subsystems. I fucking love leveling arts, gaining skills, getting achievements etc.

So yeah, aiming for a "100%" this time around. 100% in quotation marks because I probably won't be able to do every side quest, but will do most of them.

e: egh, burned myself on the side quests and now i just want to finish the game. getting real fucking tired of the in-world logic breaking and super cheesiness and dumbness of the main party's writing. and fiora. still, on to final boss, my ~8/10 still stands. monolith soft could do with a better character writer, this and xenosagas all go from 9 or 10 out of ten to an eight because of the writing. xenoblade's story could easily be a ten with more likeable characters.

e2: oh GODDAMN i forgot what slice-of-life bullshit this ending was :V i wish i could lower the points for this but it wouldn't be fair.

Paulee

So I am playing the game for the first time and have some party questions
1. Is Dunban a better Tank as Ryan
2. is Melia the best healer

I am lvl 35 and just got
Ricki
how much main story do I have left in hours ?

Kanra

So I am playing the game for the first time and have some party questions
1. Is Dunban a better Tank as Ryan
2. is Melia the best healer

I am lvl 35 and just got
Ricki
how much main story do I have left in hours ?
1. Yes, Dunban is better if you put some evade gems on him, he can easily evade attacks and draw argo.
2.No, Sharla is. Followed my Riki.
3. Not even halfway. Maybe a third at most.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Reyn is better at drawing aggro from multiple enemies, but in general Dunban is better because he should avoid taking damage, unlike Reyn who primarily just eats damage and relies on being healed.

Melia is a pretty bad healer. Sharla is the only one that's really great at healing, Riki is next best, followed by Shulk. Melia is more of a glass cannon that also has the benefit of supplying some buffs to your party.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Hey everyone. I have a couple questions:

1) Can I use the Wii U Pro Controller to play Wii games? Specifically Xenoblade Chronicles?

2) Is the controller worth it? I've been doing research, and it seems like it is, but I"m always up for more feedback.

Thanks for your time!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone. I have a couple questions:

1) Can I use the Wii U Pro Controller to play Wii games? Specifically Xenoblade Chronicles?

2) Is the controller worth it? I've been doing research, and it seems like it is, but I"m always up for more feedback.

Thanks for your time!

Wii mode on Wii U is functionally just a Wii. So Wii games won't support anything that they didn't support on the original system, with the exception of video output to the gamepad (and even then it's only video/sound, you need some sort of Wii controller too). So no pro controller in any Wii games including Xenoblade.

That said, it's a great controller and I definitely recommend it for Wii U games, most support it.

alvis.exe

Just started to play the game, and i wonder why you want cylinders instead of gems?

There's a gem crafting guide in the other OT. It's pretty helpful. But to answer your question, cylinders and crystals are the "building blocks" of gems. Crystals are "unrefined" and can include multiple attributes. You can make gems directly from crystals or you "refine" them into cylinders first to make better gems.

CassSept

A spoilerific question.

Would you say Prison Island is around halfway through the game or more like end of the first 1/3?

Surprises and all but holy hell, I've been playing Xenoblade for three weeks now and it just keeps on going and going and going. I just want to know if I have a shot at finishing this by the end of March.

Facegravy

More questions. What stat types are best for each character? Was mostly thinking regards to what to equip on the different characters. Agility/defense/strength

corn_fest

Just finishing up my run through the game after taking a several-month hiatus at
Mechonis Core

One thing I really hope they improve for X (I don't know whether they've shown off anything relating to this yet) is equipment management. Trying to give everyone optimal equipment is such a pain, especially since the game doesn't show you stat differentials like practically every other game ever (you have to memorize your current stat, scroll over to the new weapon and compare them).

Plus gems really fuck things up, since their effects are included in the displayed stat calculations. I've resorted to unsocketing most of my gems and going through and reassigning them every time I do a major equipment change-up, but what a pain.

Given that X looks to have even more playable characters, I really hope they've improved things.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A spoilerific question.

Would you say Prison Island is around halfway through the game or more like end of the first 1/3?

Surprises and all but holy hell, I've been playing Xenoblade for three weeks now and it just keeps on going and going and going. I just want to know if I have a shot at finishing this by the end of March.

Valak Mountain is roughly considered to be the halfway point, but it's really hard to say any specific point is. The second half of the game is more linear and has less quests/hub areas than the first half, but more cutscenes. Someone doing everything will probably spend more time on the "first half" while someone rushing the game as fast as possible would probably spend more time on the second.

More questions. What stat types are best for each character? Was mostly thinking regards to what to equip on the different characters. Agility/defense/strength

Before I start it's important to note that even though characters have their "default" intended battle roles, you can customize them enough through their arts, equipment, and skill links to have them do other stuff. Melia can tank, Reyn can do DPS, etc, but if you're asking a question like this you're probably looking for the more standard setups which I'll describe. (So people won't come in and tell me "but such and such can do...")

Shulk is kind of an all-around character. Functionally he's mostly support (light heal + Monado arts), but he doesn't really need any specific stat boosts for that. Agility is good for basically everyone, and Xenoblade's offense-oriented nature means attack is also good for him since his attack arts are physical. Wouldn't bother with any other stats.

Reyn is probably the only character defense matters much for since he's a damage eating tank. Defense, HP, situationally ether defense (ether attacks are uncommon, especially enemies that frequently use strong ones), and of course agility doesn't hurt.

Sharla is mostly ether support with all her healing arts and whatnot, so that would be the priority. Agility will help her dodge stuff some I guess.

Dunban is a avoidance tank, so agility is the #1 priority. Even tanking, he doesn't even need heavy armor if he's set right, light armor is the way to go. He should dodge most physical attacks negating the need for high defense and light armor has better ether defense. Attack would be the second priority and no other stats really matter for him unless you want to give some situational ether defense.

Melia is a glass cannon caster, ether is her first priority, and arguably her only one. Next most important thing is probably stuff like Art Stealth to keep her from drawing aggro.

Riki is like Shulk in that he's sort of a jack-of-all-trades, but a bit more ether focused. It really just depends on how you set him up. Most often he's probably used for damage over time plus some healing, and most of his DoT arts are ether so that's the best bet. And of course, agility doesn't hurt.

Seven is mostly focused on physical DPS, so agility and attack are the way to go. Can do just about anything if set up for it though.

Top Bottom