• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire New Gameplay Footage taken from Tribeca Film Festival

Ickman3400 said:
You really shouldn't insult someone when you can't even grasp something as simple as someone not liking RDR of all games.

Members these days...

And you really shouldn't insult someone because they have a family. Plus, it has a skip feature, I thought you were done with this game for babying to the losers with families who can't devote enough time to gaming?

I honestly don't see how somebody could despise RDR and find this even remotely interesting. Yes, it will have investigations ... but the core of the game looks MUCH like GTA IV and RDR. That part is just unavoidable.

So you would have liked RDR if you could collect clues? LOL

Sn4ke_911 said:
RDR is Rockstar Games best game yet. Period.

Thank god this is a Team Bondi game then.

flyinpiranha said:
And you really shouldn't insult someone because they have a family. Plus, it has a skip feature, I thought you were done with this game for babying to the losers with families who can't devote enough time to gaming?

I honestly don't see how somebody could despise RDR and find this even remotely interesting. Yes, it will have investigations ... but the core of the game looks MUCH like GTA IV and RDR. That part is just unavoidable.

So you would have liked RDR if you could collect clues? LOL

I didn't insult anyone. I said people make certain choices in life and they should know everything they're getting and I'm tired of people whining about no time because of it. A big reason I don't have kids is because I like having lots of free time and being able to relax after work.

Also never said I was "done" with this game, don't put words in my mouth. This game has nothing similar to RDR or GTA 4. The condescending "would you like RDR if it had clues lolol" doesn't make sense because you throw investigations in like it's a mini game. It is the meat of LA Noire, the driving and shooting is the mini game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Inorigo said:

Nice. Uhm, I guess you want me to post them ...?

jnKBR.jpg

8rlGj.jpg

i7t4l.jpg

TIzah.jpg

jackrubyn

RDR was amazing, I might even prefer it to GTA IV (one of my favorite games). Top 5 this gen, easily, anyways. But I hated the fact that there was so much stuff that you could not ascend/descend. Mountains and canyons, etc.

the madman

Neo Member
Yeah, now that it's summer and I'm too lazy to look for an internship, this is the next thing on my radar. Gooonnna be sweeeeeeet.

Super excited. And then infamous 2. Gonna be a good summer. (Also, maybe Alice and eventually MK9)

Angry Fork

I liked GTA4 and hated RDR, so idk I guess it's possible. This game looks amazing. RDR was so dreadfully boring I can't begin to explain. I could just write paragraphs of rage about it. It's the first game i've ever traded in and it started a trend, eventually I decided to trade in stuff I didn't play anymore but RDR was the first, about a week after I beat it and felt bad for buying it day one.

At least this game has a gorgeous city you'll be able to check out, I love noir films and the seedy hollywood detective stuff of the 40s/50s. It just looks exactly like my kind of game. I actually love westerns as well but RDR just did not do it for me. I was expecting an epic Sergio Leone kind of adventure and it was just not that at all. I suppose westerns should only be limited to 2-3 hours instead of stretched out to 12 where 1/4 of the game is wrangling up cows or doing long menial chores for people you don't care about. The stupid forced uncle family shit was worse than planet scanning in ME2. It was like the most tedious thing out of all the games i've played this gen. At least it had a great ending though
Even though you had to take hold of your douche son after who looks like an asshole as an adult.

Ickman3400 said:
This game is nothing like gta 4 and RDR thankfully otherwise I wouldn't pick it up. I know what kind of game I'm getting here unlike what R* was telling me I was going to get with RDR only to find a giant empty boring land with a couple different missions the entire game (like gta4!).

While I'd agree that GTA4 was a giant, empty city, I'd disagree with RDR. The side quests and collection side quests of RDR packed the wilderness with stuff to do and things to find. The natural flora & fauna, that the player could actually interact with, gave the wilderness life, IMO.

I'm hoping that they can add similar components to LA, but I'm not sure how it would be done.

*edit*

Those new screens make me wet myself. The character interaction in that last one just looks authentic.

jackrubyn

Angry Fork said:
I liked GTA4 and hated RDR, so idk I guess it's possible. This game looks amazing. RDR was so dreadfully boring I can't begin to explain. I could just write paragraphs of rage about it. It's the first game i've ever traded in and it started a trend, eventually I decided to trade in stuff I didn't play anymore but RDR was the first, about a week after I beat it and felt bad for buying it day one.

At least this game has a gorgeous city you'll be able to check out, I love noir films and the seedy hollywood detective stuff of the 40s/50s. It just looks exactly like my kind of game. I actually love westerns as well but RDR just did not do it for me. I was expecting an epic Sergio Leone kind of adventure and it was just not that at all. I suppose westerns should only be limited to 2-3 hours instead of stretched out to 12 where 1/4 of the game is wrangling up cows or doing long menial chores for people you don't care about. The stupid forced uncle family shit was worse than planet scanning in ME2. It was like the most tedious thing out of all the games i've played this gen. At least it had a great ending though
Even though you had to take hold of your douche son after who looks like an asshole as an adult.
The what now? I don't remember any "uncle family shit". By the way, your spoiler made me laugh out loud. I even had to explain to my girlfriend that it was "a funny person on the internet".

Squire

Banned
jackrubyn said:
The what now? I don't remember any "uncle family shit". By the way, your spoiler made me laugh out loud. I even had to explain to my girlfriend that it was "a funny person on the internet".

This is NeoGAF. You may have to explain just exactly what a "girlfriend" is.

Kidding! Y'all know I love you!

Angry Fork

jackrubyn said:
I forgot his name he was like some drunkard guy who sat by a tree sometimes and he was just around on the ranch, I think you met him before
You got your wife + son back
. He was just there and you had to like help him do stuff. I know there were some other people who were friends of Bonnie that you helped with chores but it wasn't them it was someone else.

Ickman3400 said:
But it still is 'A Rockstar Game'. Rockstar NYC is very involved in the creation of the game.

It won't be just like RDR or GTA IV . . . it is based on a different engine.

wow the city looks awesome. i wonder if they're going to have random encounters / events which would be cool. just a dead city with people walking would be disappointing and something i wouldn't expect from rockstar. though just police work seems fun, i hope there are other activities/side missions you can do.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
VistraNorrez said:
It took place in 1911, the Wild West didn't really exist at that time. It was pretty much over. And besides the Wild West wasn't that uncivilized. Most people didn't go around blazing guns, kidnapping, robbing, and whatever other cliches we associate with that nebulous time period. A lot of what has been ingrained in our minds and presented in RDR took place over decades if not more than a century. There was plenty of gun control going on, too. I think the thing they got the most accurate was the Mexican revolution. But overall, most people, like today, wanted to live simple quiet lives and did so as much as anyone could at that time.
"wild west" or "old west" is typically recognized from early 19th century to around 1920. now I won't argue that much of RDR was in fact "cliche hollywood westerns hokum", but when most of us talk about wanting fiction in the old west.. sadly this is what we mean.

now with that being said, there are some points that still stand.. in the areas that this game is taking place in, things really were uncivilized. This isn't to say that everyone was a gun toting savage.. but the land was very sparsely populated, things like irrigation and paved roads certainly didn't exist outside of the most densely populated areas, and given the vastness of open area and relative miniscule size of law enforcement, there most certainly was a lot of crime and gangs. Not quite as bad as the westerns romanticize it, but exaggerated at best, not entirely fabricated.

so no, RDR was not a factual account of sothwestern US in 1911.. but it IS a beautiful recreation of the better western movies that many of us love, something that flat out hasn't existed in video games or even interactive entertainment in general.

now to get this on track..... the EXACT same can be said about LA Noire in that we don't get too many golden age of hollywood games, let alone film noire stories to boot. So I'm sure cinematic liberties will be taken here as well... but at some point you have to cut them some slack... genre buffs have had 30 years of gaming without these types of games... you have to understand us getting overly passionate when we finally not only get games in these genres, but genuinely GOOD games to boot, even if they aren't your cup of tea.

as for pre-orders.. I'm actually thinking about target.. so far they have the only bonus (t-shirt) that you won't be able to get after release. if this is anything like RDR (both in size and DLC releases) it will be a long time before I care about access to the pre-order DLC and I have no problem paying for any/all of it.

edit - and while I don't think this will be even a lot like GTAIV/RDR, I also think some of you are in for a rude awakening as to the driving and action sequences. I mean there is no way you could do a 40s noir story WITHOUT these elements. :p

jackrubyn

macfoshizzle said:
wow the city looks awesome. i wonder if they're going to have random encounters / events which would be cool. just a dead city with people walking would be disappointing and something i wouldn't expect from rockstar. though just police work seems fun, i hope there are other activities/side missions you can do.
I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't. From what I've read you'll be able to intercept 911 calls from your car (I guess) and this image seems to show some sort of slot machine:
image_l_a_noire-15464-1164_0003.jpg

I'm very curious about what else you can expect outside of the main story. Probably beeing flagged down by purse snatchees. Maybe stopping street brawls.
For me, I just hope there's some sort of free mode wherein you can Fuck Shit Up™ without much repercussion. I know this isn't GTA. But still.

All this L.A. Noire footage has me really hyped, I'm pretty damn excited for this game and I haven't been this excited for a game since..........probably God of War 3. I went back and starting playing GTA 4 and RDR because I never beat them (didn't get far in RDR) because I want my body ready for LA Noire :)

jackrubyn said:
I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't. From what I've read you'll be able to intercept 911 calls from your car (I guess) and this image seems to show some sort of slot machine:
image_l_a_noire-15464-1164_0003.jpg

I'm very curious about what else you can expect outside of the main story. Probably beeing flagged down by purse snatchees. Maybe stopping street brawls.
For me, I just hope there's some sort of free mode wherein you can Fuck Shit Up™ without much repercussion. I know this isn't GTA. But still.

yeah same here. you give a gamer a huge 8 sq miles of city terrain, once in awhile you'll want to fuck shit up from time to time just for shits and giggles. i know when i first boot up the game and i'm in the city, first thing i'll have the urg to do is go up against some dude or chick on the street and see what happens if beat the shit out of them or shoot them point blank in full daylight just to see what happens.. or drive off a cliff, drive into someones back yard with a pool, run over pedestrians, try to blow up a gas station.. especially in a city that looks like it's from leave it to beaver.

macfoshizzle said:
yeah same here. you give a gamer a huge 8 sq miles of city terrain, once in awhile you'll want to fuck shit up from time to time just for shits and giggles. i know when i first boot up the game and i'm in the city, first thing i'll have the urg to do is go up against some dude or chick on the street and see what happens if beat the shit out of them or shoot them point blank in full daylight just to see what happens.. or drive off a cliff, drive into someones back yard with a pool, run over pedestrians, try to blow up a gas station.. especially in a city that looks like it's from leave it to beaver.

Are you sure you're not just sociopathic?
I kid, I kid

I hope LA Noire has awesome physics... RDR's Euphoria animations were so amazing. I went out of my way to shoot people just cause it looked amazing. But only bad people. Max Payne 3's also gonna use Euphoria, and that'll look godly... kinda hopin' LA Noire will use it as well, though since someone mentioned Team Bondi's using their own engine, I guess they won't use Euphoria?

borghe

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I kid, I kid

I hope LA Noire has awesome physics... RDR's Euphoria animations were so amazing. I went out of my way to shoot people just cause it looked amazing. But only bad people. Max Payne 3's also gonna use Euphoria, and that'll look godly... kinda hopin' LA Noire will use it as well, though since someone mentioned Team Bondi's using their own engine, I guess they won't use Euphoria?
euphoria is only the physics/procedural animation engine. there is absolutely no reason Team Bondi couldn't be using it, though we probably won't know for sure until the game releases.

agreed though. Euphoria in RDR was a HUUUGE improvement over GTAIV. Still not sure about RAGE in an urban/crowded environment, but Euphoria IMHO beats Physx for best current physics/procedural animation engine.

green sticker

Neo Member
borghe said:
euphoria is only the physics/procedural animation engine. there is absolutely no reason Team Bondi couldn't be using it, though we probably won't know for sure until the game releases.

agreed though. Euphoria in RDR was a HUUUGE improvement over GTAIV. Still not sure about RAGE in an urban/crowded environment, but Euphoria IMHO beats Physx for best current physics/procedural animation engine.

In the recent video, the way they walked down the stairs is very reminiscent of the Euphoria engine. I would hope they'd utilize the tech, it's so amazing.

Fjordson

Sn4ke_911 said:
RDR is Rockstar Games best game yet. Period.
Agreed. And that's coming from a massive GTA fanboy (and a Bully fan).
borghe said:

Oh man, Euphoria was the shit in RDR. Has Bondi/R* said anything official about the engine and whatnot yet?

Kintaro said:
Really? You really can't see the major differences between the two games and why a person would gravitate towards LA Noire over RDR? You must be blind as fuck.

Let me see...

1) You're not a criminal. Which makes a huge difference in narrative.
2) You interrogate suspects and such to unravel clues.
3) Investigating crime scenes for clues.
4) Work your way through the ranks through a variety of different departments.

RDR is basically GTA in the wild west with an equally poor storyline and empty ass environments with more "shit to do" (collect and do pointless shit).

You honestly can't see how the two games are different on even a fundamental level?

Wow. You missed out on arguably one of the best single-player experiences this generation. New Austin was alive, and filled to the brim with places to explore. You've done yourself a disservice.

Gary Whitta said:
Have there been ANY screens posted of actual interactive gameplay? All I keep seeing is the cinematic stuff.

if you go couple pages back, there's a vid of actual gameplay displayed in closed doors.

Squire

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:
Wow. You missed out on arguably one of the best single-player experiences this generation. New Austin was alive, and filled to the brim with places to explore. You've done yourself a disservice.

Not to mention the game has one of the best, most meaningful endings of the generation.

What? You'd thought I'd spoil it?

Ickman3400 said:

I didn't insult anyone. I said people make certain choices in life and they should know everything they're getting and I'm tired of people whining about no time because of it. A big reason I don't have kids is because I like having lots of free time and being able to relax after work.

Also never said I was "done" with this game, don't put words in my mouth. This game has nothing similar to RDR or GTA 4. The condescending "would you like RDR if it had clues lolol" doesn't make sense because you throw investigations in like it's a mini game. It is the meat of LA Noire, the driving and shooting is the mini game.

Why? Because McNamara has never been able to make a game with half-way decent controls and gameplay before this? Outside of a bloody dialogue selection box and "scan for clues", what is so different about this game that makes you think it has "nothing similar" to RDR or GTA4 when everything from walking to gun combat to driving look eerily similar to games by R* north?

borghe said:

Euphoria in RDR was pretty good in terms of all the hit reaction but the controls was actually not very responsive, as far as procedural animations go, Euphoria is still on top but controls-wise not so great.

borghe

MalboroRed said:
Euphoria in RDR was pretty good in terms of all the hit reaction but the controls was actually not very responsive, as far as procedural animations go, Euphoria is still on top but controls-wise not so great.
yeah, I agree with you on controls. Games like Arkham Asylum stomp on RDR and GTAIV... but I'm not so sure how much of that is Euphoria... because things that are definitely RAGE (camera for example) led to some of those problems/deficiencies. but yeah, I was more or less talking about ragdoll physics and collision detection/reaction along with procedural animation. RDR may actually be the best this gen so far in those respects.

we'll see... man I can't wait for this game.... a loooonnnngg three weeks.

canadian crowe said:
I also LOVED The Getaway, so I'm even more
Excited about the team behind this.

I agree with you! The Getaway is one of my favorite PS2 games. The atmosphere in that game was brilliant! I wil buy L.A Noire. ;)

cackhyena

jett said:
The lighting in this game is so awful.
I was thinking the same thing. Next gen hardware lighting a game of this type and animation will look eerily realistic. As it is...could use some work.

jett said:
The lighting in this game is so awful.

You have to remember what David Cage said about the tech that they're using. A lot of people attacked him but it's possible that he knows a lot more than some give him credit for.

IMACOMPUTA

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I kid, I kid

They are using Euphoria.
I can tell from the footage I've seen.
Trust me.

Feep

Banned
I'm extra excited as a LA resident. I can see all these places, sixty years ago! Super cool. It's like digital tourism.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kermit The Dog said:

I beat the game. How did I do myself a disservice when I enjoyed nothing past the Marshall and Bonnie? You turn frm a badass to an errand boy doing favors for shitty characters all over while he spits out idle threats all game long.

Wasn't too impressed with the ending either. Yes, the real ending.

Gacha-pin said:

That looks like an image from the Social Club (edit: nvm I just checked the image name) like they did with RDR looking at the legend circles while comparing stats with a friend.

Also map looks pretty cool.

Squire

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You have to remember what David Cage said about the tech that they're using. A lot of people attacked him but it's possible that he knows a lot more than some give him credit for.

Tqswm.jpg

54-46!

Judging by the lack of Red Dead on PC.. is it safe to assume there's no chance for this appearing on the platform either?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
54-46! said:
Judging by the lack of Red Dead on PC.. is it safe to assume there's no chance for this appearing on the platform either?

The ESRB listed it for PC too but sadly that was just a typo. :/ They worked over 5 years on this game with a lot of trouble in development, i have no hope for this beeing released on PC. I think they are sick of this game and want to move on. I mean i would.

Top Bottom