• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

Ok, I haven't read the book in 20+ years since I was a kid and don't remember much. Movie was good, but have one part that didn't logically make sense for me. So its established that the creature uses the sewer system to get around and pull people into its hive. In the scene at the end where Barbara gets kidnapped...how did it get to her and get her to its hive from her house bathroom? Pretty sure she didn't fit down the toilet/shower drain. I was always under the impression that when IT appeared somewhere outside of a sewer connector that it was always just hallucinations and that the physical body of IT couldn't get beyond the sewers.

Can't really answer the Bev question off the top of my head, but I think it was always the real It traveling around through the sewer pipes, wasn't just a projection or w/e. In the book encounter at Neibolt house they both physically injure it with the slingshot, and also get a glimpse at it's true form as it retreats through the drain.

IMO in regards to his "true" form.

They need to make it more cosmic/sci-fi. Like have it look energy based (lots of luminescence, which plays into it's deadlights and other themes), think of like say, a Cuttlefish and how they use their luminescence to catch prey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcpzubpIhtI
have it's movements look other wordly, basically like something that is vaguely in a spider'ish shape but otherwise doesn't look like anything of this earth. Also for the love of all don't make it just one shit-brown color.

Based on the scene where It shows Beverly the deadlights, they are absolutely on the right track. The way its faced unfolded into rows of teeth with light shining through was perfectly alien to me. And the voice screaming from inside was a great touch.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I mean the house was near a sewer entrance. Like the feeling I got was IT could go out of the sewer, but generally stays near it, so IT can retreat if needed. So some of those places like at the school or temple, etc... I sorta assumed were hallucinations.

I mean if IT could grab anyone anywhere like in a school or whatnot, then there wouldn't be a pattern of all the deaths near sewer connectors since IT can just go anywhere. Idk, I'm wondering if they kinda brushed making working monster logic aside in the film in favor of having scary moments.

Ok, I haven't read the book in 20+ years since I was a kid and don't remember much. Movie was good, but have one part that didn't logically make sense for me. So its established that the creature uses the sewer system to get around and pull people into its hive. In the scene at the end where Barbara gets kidnapped...how did it get to her and get her to its hive from her house bathroom? Pretty sure she didn't fit down the toilet/shower drain. I was always under the impression that when IT appeared somewhere outside of a sewer connector that it was always just hallucinations and that the physical body of IT couldn't get beyond the sewers.
Really dumb question, but who was Barbara in the movie? I don't remember her....

i really wish they weren't so on-the-nose with derry's creepy past, they should have found a way to show it without explicitly spelling it out for us through the fat kid's exposition.
Funny too, they gave Mike's knack for Derry's history to Ben. They did nothing with Ben being the "budding engineer". He DID love the library in the book, but mostly loved
reading action/adventure books (aside from books about ancient civilizations). I remember he was excited to read a book about the librarian told him had a gruesome car crash.

Funny too, they gave Mike's knack for Derry's history to Ben. They did nothing with Ben being the "budding engineer". He DID love the library in the book, but mostly loved
reading action/adventure books (aside from books about ancient civilizations). I remember he was excited to read a book about the librarian told him had a gruesome car crash.

I suppose Ben's model of the Standpipe when he's first introduced coming out of the school could be seen as a reference to his love for architecture.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That makes a lot of sense.

CG isn't bad if it's subtle, but the Painted Lady was so obviously CG that she didn't look real and grounded, so it took me out of the movie. I liked the way she moved and everything, that was unsettling, but I think her face needed more work. I understand how it must be difficult to convincingly convert a 2D painting into a walking 3D monster though.

She's not supposed to be grounded. She's supposed to be a living nightmare.

I suppose Ben's model of the Standpipe when he's first introduced coming out of the school could be seen as a reference to his love for architecture.

Yeah, though still kinda a drastic change of character for Mike. In the book,
he was the one with the album that featured the old cartoons and pictures, very similar to how it was portrayed in the mini-series. As an adult, he was the one interviewing all the old timers about their experiences through some of the major events of Derry's past.

I DID like the inclusion of the Standpipe (we see Bill pass by it in a scene). I remember when the director was visiting Bangor to scout for a few locations and posted a picture of the Standpipe.

CG isn't bad if it's subtle, but the Painted Lady was so obviously CG that she didn't look real and grounded, so it took me out of the movie. I liked the way she moved and everything, that was unsettling, but I think her face needed more work. I understand how it must be difficult to convincingly convert a 2D painting into a walking 3D monster though.

Oddly enough, for all the gripes I had about this movie, I didn't mind the painted lady ("Judith", I think her name is). To me, I had more of a gripe with those fuckin' CG rocks during the rock fight.

She's not supposed to be grounded. She's supposed to be a living nightmare.
And a walking painting. Not looking real, in fact looking obviously CG, makes perfect sense here. Imagine if a Pixar animation came out of the screen and started walking down the street, like that scene from The Simpsons

i really wish they weren't so on-the-nose with derry's creepy past, they should have found a way to show it without explicitly spelling it out for us through the fat kid's exposition.

I'm still reading the book - and they gave the black kid was the one who gave the exposition in the mini series - I watched the mini series after and I felt like they took screen time away from mike hanlon, the black kid had more screentime in the mini series - he's meant to
be the librian in the sequel
so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it I guess.

Ottaro

I'm pretty sad that the flute lady dropped her flute and she was never seen with it again, unless I totally missed it. Missed opportunity for more musical cues. All you'd have to hear is that flute and you know IT was coming for Stan.

I DID like the inclusion of the Standpipe (we see Bill pass by it in a scene). I remember when the director was visiting Bangor to scout for a few locations and posted a picture of the Standpipe.

I am such a Stephen King nerd that I want to tour Bangor just because it is Derry in everything but name. Pretty much every major location from the Barrens to the Standpipe to the canal are all there.

Anung

Un Rama
And a walking painting. Not looking real, in fact looking obviously CG, makes perfect sense here. Imagine if a Pixar animation came out of the screen and started walking down the street, like that scene from The Simpsons

That's why I liked it too. It looking uncanny gives it a more dreamlike quality than if it looked seamless and real.

Don't be sorry, you speak the truth, the whole Bowers gang was handled poorly, we should have seen Victor get his head ripped off and Belch die too.. them showing up to Adult Henry was very cool in the book, now I don't even know if adult Henry will be in it.

I bet Adult Henry is in it. He survived his fall because of IT i bet. It pissed me off that IT didn't kill the rest of the bowers gang.

I've seen enough movies to know that if you don't physically see an important character die, they'll be back. There is no question Henry will play a big part in Chapter 2.

Stiler

Yeah, I mean the house was near a sewer entrance. Like the feeling I got was IT could go out of the sewer, but generally stays near it, so IT can retreat if needed. So some of those places like at the school or temple, etc... I sorta assumed were hallucinations.

I mean if IT could grab anyone anywhere like in a school or whatnot, then there wouldn't be a pattern of all the deaths near sewer connectors since IT can just go anywhere. Idk, I'm wondering if they kinda brushed making working monster logic aside in the film in favor of having scary moments.

It can physically go out of the sewers, it's not confined to them or anything.

I'm pretty sad that the flute lady dropped her flute and she was never seen with it again, unless I totally missed it. Missed opportunity for more musical cues. All you'd have to hear is that flute and you know IT was coming for Stan.

I couldn't even tell. Was it just my theater, or was it hard to see in the darker scenes? I got a trailer for "mother!" and it was like all the blacks in shadows and shading were replaced with dark blues, so you got scenes like this:

qC9eVAV.png

Odd thing was, some trailers weren't like that, but mother! and It (the darker parts, especially during the end), were. Made it hard to see things during the darker parts (though everything that happened in the daylight portions was crisp and clear. Does anybody think it was a problem on the theater's part?

Robot Pants

IT was my first King book and I loved it. What would any of you recommend I read next?
The Shining was great. Especially the woman in the bathtub section. Terrified me.

The Green Mile is also amazing but not exactly scary.

Anyhow I don't know what to think of IT. I like certain aspects of it a lot. Mostly the kids. I definitely laughed a lot.
But the Pennywise stuff just didn't click with me and the whole movie seemed to move too quickly.This portrayal of Pennywise I wasn't a fan of, he seemed all over the place and more goofy than terrifying.
In fact the whole tone of the movie was all over the place.

As of now the movie is in the "forgettable" category for me.

Based on the scene where It shows Beverly the deadlights, they are absolutely on the right track. The way its faced unfolded into rows of teeth with light shining through was perfectly alien to me. And the voice screaming from inside was a great touch.
Yup, that was better than I ever hoped for a glimpse at IT's true form

Zushin

Well just ordered the book. May be a mistake since I don't read very often and a 1300 page tome probably isn't a good way to get back into it haha.

Toth

This is a very good question.

It can certainly physically interact with the world so
it probably just knocked her out and dragged her out of the house and down the nearest sewer. In the book,IT physically drags the dying Patrick down into the sewers as well.

mreddie

Saw it yesterday but forgot to post review.

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO TRAP REMIX

Good shit, when Georgie got his arm torn off in the first 10 minutes, you know this film wasn't fucking around.

Poor Mike, he was just there, I assume he'll play a bigger role in 2.

I know Ben-Bev get together from the 90 miniseries but it was weird to have a love triangle with Bill. I guess 2 will add more fire to that.

The cast was great and you wanted to rescue Bev and Ben. Ritchie had the best lines and it's surreal to see him in this and Stranger Things.

Good scares and Pennywise was legit.

It can certainly physically interact with the world so
it probably just knocked her out and dragged her out of the house and down the nearest sewer. In the book,IT physically drags the dying Patrick down into the sewers as well.

Yeah, I kind of rationalized it as him needing her to be alone to get away with dragging her away, but once she hit her dad there was nothing to protect her from Pennywise.

Sigma722

Poor Mike, he was just there, I assume he'll play a bigger role in 2.

It's probably been discussed in here, but it's one of my biggest gripes with the film. In the second part he should be playing the historian, but they took that title away from him in part 1 too. They handled Mike terribly.

Bookoo

Finally got to see the movie and was a little disappointed. My expectations were through the roof though so it's not surprising.

Reading through the comments seems like others feel similar. I thought the acting was great for the most part, but I just wasn't a fan of some of the way they handled the kids and their relationship felt rushed (especially Mike).

The biggest disappointment for me was the way Eddie broke his arm. I loved the whole interaction at the pharmacy and the chase from the book. I thought it was pretty tense. Also was a little disappointed in the bullies. They were just immediately crazy and there was no real build up.

Was alright but I'm getting bored of 80s nostalgia and this story doesn't seem to have much depth to it

I thought the secret of the clown was going to be more interesting than it was

this was basically Goosebumps

I really liked that basement scene. The water, the darkness, Pennywise coming up from the water, the Georgie illusion, the run and Pennywise eye roll/slither once the boy gets away. Just yas. I want more stuff like that.

IT was my first King book and I loved it. What would any of you recommend I read next?
The dark tower series is amazing but it's a massive, massive investment.

'11/22/63' is really damn solid, it's proof he's still got the spark somehow.

I too am just kinda jumping into king but I'm learning he's alot more interesting then his legacy let's on. His adaptations usually take away the things that make him such a crazy interesting writer (please be good it part 2).
Was alright but I'm getting bored of 80s nostalgia and this story doesn't seem to have much depth to it

I thought the secret of the clown was going to be more interesting than it was

this was basically Goosebumps
If you don't mind spoilers might I recommend looking up the history of the monster. IT might be the most insanely interesting history of a monster ever written.

The dark tower series is amazing but it's a massive, massive investment.

'11/22/63' is really damn solid, it's proof he's still got the spark somehow.

I too am just kinda jumping into king but I'm learning he's alot more interesting then his legacy let's on. His adaptations usually take away the things that make him such a crazy interesting writer (please be good it part 2).
He's insanely good at establishing character. From the main protagonist to some minor single chapter character, you know their personality, mindset, values, their fears and flaws, history, relationship to the setting, how they changed with time, how their experiences molded them

IT was the first King book I've read in a long time, since I was younger, and reading his work at an older age, that was the first thing I noticed. He's a master at that, while simultaneously world building, and seamlessly tying character growth to the details of his settings

99.9% of King adaptations never get the characters or focus on character.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's probably been discussed in here, but it's one of my biggest gripes with the film. In the second part he should be playing the historian, but they took that title away from him in part 1 too. They handled Mike terribly.

They've said in interviews he is the historian in the sequel.

As great as this movie was, I hope there is an unrated / extended version for the blu-ray that deals with The Bowers gang a bit better. I was hoping we would get the flying leeches scene with Patrick, that would have been cool but what happens in the movie was a bit lame.

Victor and Belch just disappear from the movie too, so I'm hoping an extended cut fixes this problem and they go with Henry at the end and we get their death scenes too, unless they made this change on purpose and they are going to be around for part 2, instead of Henry or maybe even with Henry, if he survived the fall.

- J - D -

Having no previous experience with It in any form, I had no real expectations for this. It was okay, but the scare moments are way heavy handed. Subtlety would've been more affecting. This reminded me a lot of the recent Annabelle Creation in terms of how scares are delivered. Loud sounds, screeching violins, more loud sounds. Really obvious and it might work on a lot of audiences, but for me it leaves no lasting impact. And really, that's what I come to horror films for nowadays.

My favorite shot of the film was from the scene in the library wherein one of the kids was researching Derry's history. While the shot focuses on the kid intensely flipping through the pages, you can vaguely see in the blurred background one of the librarians staring and smiling at him. The background is blurred due to depth of field so you can't really see her in detail, but it's unmistakeable that she is staring right at the kid, and he's completely unaware. It's a deeply unsettling shot because it never calls attention to her. No cuts to her, no rack focus shift. It's only noticeable if you are really looking for it.

I wish there were more bits like that, because I otherwise I really don't think the film left any mark on me. Great kids though. Very likable and convincing performances. I liked them all. Best thing about It, really.

hydruxo

Having no previous experience with It in any form, I had no real expectations for this. It was okay, but the scare moments are way heavy handed. Subtlety would've been more affecting. This reminded me a lot of the recent Annabelle Creation in terms of how scares are delivered. Loud sounds, screeching violins, more loud sounds. Really obvious and it might work on a lot of audiences, but for me it leaves no lasting impact. And really, that's what I come to horror films for nowadays.

My favorite shot of the film was from the scene in the library wherein one of the kids was researching Derry's history. While the shot focuses on the kid intensely flipping through the pages, you can vaguely see in the blurred background one of the librarians staring and smiling at him. The background is blurred due to depth of field so you can't really see her in detail, but it's unmistakeable that she is staring right at the kid, and he's completely unaware. It's a deeply unsettling shot because it never calls attention to her. No cuts to her, no rack focus shift. It's only noticeable if you are really looking for it.

I wish there were more bits like that, because I otherwise I really don't think the film left any mark on me. Great kids though. Very likable and convincing performances. I liked them all. Best thing about It, really.

The librarian shot was amazing. One of the creepiest parts for me because like you said they don't draw focus to it.

Aaron D.

He's insanely good at establishing character. From the main protagonist to some minor single chapter character, you know their personality, mindset, values, their fears and flaws, history, relationship to the setting, how they changed with time, how their experiences molded them

IT was the first King book I've read in a long time, since I was younger, and reading his work at an older age, that was the first thing I noticed. He's a master at that, while simultaneously world building, and seamlessly tying character growth to the details of his settings

99.9% of King adaptations never get the characters or focus on character.

This is exactly why most King movies suck. As a novelist, his greatest strength is not his imagination and conjuring up the creepy crawlies. It's his grounded, base understanding of human nature. It's almost profound how well he understands what makes people tick. And his ability to put that down on paper is why he's so well regarded.

But you would hardly know that if you only experienced him through his films. Most of them simply focus on the events and not the (inner world of the) people. And let's be honest, a lot of those events come off as schlocky in the absence of the human element.

The King films that are highly regarded are those that focus on character development above all else. The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, Misery, The Shining, The Green Mile, etc.

It's kind of a drag that many only experience King through his movies. I mean, there's a few really good ones as mentioned above. But if that's all I knew about his work, I'd likely think he was a hack for sure.

JB1981

So happy people are pointing this scene out because it made me incredibly uneasy

This is exactly why most King movies suck. As a novelist, his greatest strength is not his imagination and conjuring up the creepy crawlies. It's his grounded, base understanding of human nature. It's almost profound how well he understands what makes people tick. And his ability to put that down on paper is why he's so well regarded.

But you would hardly know that if you only experienced him through his films. Most of them simply focus on the events and not the (inner world of the) people. And let's be honest, a lot of those events come off as schlocky in the absence of the human element.

The King films that are highly regarded are those that focus on character development above all else. The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, Misery, The Shining, The Green Mile, etc.

It's kind of a drag that many only experience King through his movies. I mean, there's a few really good ones as mentioned above. But if that's all I knew about his work, I'd likely think he was a hack for sure.
Yeah, it's a real shame. You get to know more about a character from a single chapter in one of King's books than some books provide in their entirety, but most movies just paint his work as "this guy has one fucked up scary imagination right?". From the mind of Stephen King, etc.

Like you said, all the character-driven adaptations (which notably seem to mostly be ones that are less horror, more thriller and drama) are his most famous. Even the Carrie movie is pretty focused on the characters, and no surprise, it's also famous. We need more adaptations like IT, that put the characters at the forefront alongside the horror.

Top Bottom